Robotech and HG License Debates

I care what HG or Toynami is doing, or ANY company that might break from the collectables we've been seeing and do some great enemy figures to match some of the popular scales out there.

"Juicy" Robotech info? Jenius, I personally classify 'Juicy' as something we would not expect. If its predictable please re-classify as 'Interesting' Robotech info and let me down easy . . .

That's not entirely fair.... This is the internet I could say that toynami was creating a full scale sdf_1 and someone would claim 'i totally saw that coming.' I think the news is juicy but ymmv.

Edited by jenius

Well, they need something new to talk about for Comic Con besides what was said at Anime Expo. Anything would be fine at this point, but actually making good on promises is a different thing.

EDIT: There's also Shadow Chronicles on Hulu, but is that really a big deal? It's only available in the U.S.

Edited by Einherjar

That's not entirely fair.... This is the internet I could say that toynami was creating a full scale sdf_1 and someone would claim 'i totally saw that coming.' I think the news is juicy but ymmv.

Ha! Yes, But I'm a normal person.

So let me clarify:

Does it have something to do with Macross valks, Mospeada Legioss or Ride-armors? That news I think would be interesting.

If its A full ground crew in 1/60-1/55 with support vehicles, Regults, a Glaug, Hovertanks, Bioroids, Lunk's Jeep, figurines we've never seen or Inbits hords - that would be pretty JUICY - ! -

PS - I'm a big fan of Anymoon.com so no matter what you announce I'll support you man . . .

All I can say about "juicy" news is that whether it's expected or not, can still be interesting. While I do agree that Toynami has been behing the curve in toy design and scope, perhaps they will be putting out enemy mecha. If it's not at the same scale as the MPCs (1/55 or 1/60), I really don't care, but that's me personally. Anyways, If it's the Regult in one of those scales, it'll be quite large, if an Invid, I can't see them being more that $40. I guess we'll just wait and see. BTW, why are you holding out on the news? It's all still speculation (although reliable) until an official announcement?

My girlfriend Robotech on Hulu and sent me some mocking text messages this morning. :)

I'm holding off on my news because I don't feel it's prudent to share it yet. Comic-con is only a week away so I might as well give it some time and see if there are any last minute changes or official announcements. I'd rather not walk up to a booth wearing my ANYMOON.COM T-shirt and have someone (on some incredibly off chance) recognize me as the guy who spilled some beans and chase me away before I take some pictures of the booth :).

Well, all the talk about whether or not Toynami was going to make good use of their licenses, enemy mecha, etc. was relevant here. That's how it all got started.

Edited by jenius

My girlfriend Robotech on Hulu and sent me some mocking text messages this morning. :)

I'm holding off on my news because I don't feel it's prudent to share it yet. Comic-con is only a week away so I might as well give it some time and see if there are any last minute changes or official announcements. I'd rather not walk up to a booth wearing my ANYMOON.COM T-shirt and have someone (on some incredibly off chance) recognize me as the guy who spilled some beans and chase me away before I take some pictures of the booth :).

Just bring a delicious pie with you, they'll back down :)

OMG, THAT'S THE SOLUTION TO OUR PROBLEMS! IF WE CAN GET BANDAI TO ORDER PIE CATERING, THERE'S NO WAY HG WILL TRY TO BLOCK THEM RELEASING MACROSS!

Damn, it's been right under our noses too! Problem solved, everyone enjoy.

Edited by Keith

On another note... I've heard from a few fairly reliable fans who still attend Harmony Gold's increasingly feeble convention panels that the forthcoming Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles game that they were hyping not too long ago will be, as we predicted, a cell phone game.

I heard it was coming to all the new consoles, in fact, I just found this exclusive footage of it.

I heard it was coming to all the new consoles, in fact, I just found this exclusive footage of it.

I remember back in the day being excited about Crystal Dreams. The only time I heard about it was a blurb on Nintendo Power and and ads promoting the N64. I think it was supposed to be a launch title or something, but eventually they never spoke of it again (you know what happened). Even for an incomplete game could they really make a good final product with the stuff in the video?

Edited by Einherjar

Well, all the talk about whether or not Toynami was going to make good use of their licenses, enemy mecha, etc. was relevant here. That's how it all got started.

It was relevant to this topic and finally something that made me want to post. There were pages and pages of this thread with nothing being said at all.

Using their license for an enemy mech in a scale with heros already released is 'juicy' indeed . . .

(I can wait a week)

Quick question. Just roughly how much would it cost to buy from these Robo**** the rights of Macross outside of Japan?

Surely it can't be much considering they're aren't making any money off it?

Also, usually licenses expire? I guess it's an infinity one here?

I remember back in the day being excited about Crystal Dreams. The only time I heard about it was a blurb on Nintendo Power and and ads promoting the N64. I think it was supposed to be a launch title or something, but eventually they never spoke of it again (you know what happened). Even for an incomplete game could they really make a good final product with the stuff in the video?

Just look at Aero Fighters Assault and Pilot Wings 64. Sure they look like crap now, but back in the day it was really impressive and really fun to play. Crystal Dreams could have turned out looking great though if they developed it years later with the N64 expansion pack like Rogue Squadron, Perfect Dark, Hybrid Heaven, Banjoo Kazoo, etc.

Quick question. Just roughly how much would it cost to buy from these Robo**** the rights of Macross outside of Japan?

Surely it can't be much considering they're aren't making any money off it?

Also, usually licenses expire? I guess it's an infinity one here?

On the contrary. The biggest money maker from Robo**** franchise is from the selling of Macross merchandise and the Remastered Robotech dvds which use edited Macross Footage. Their Macross rights form the very foundation of their Robo**** franchise. Trying to buy just their Macross rights is like trying to convince Microsoft that they would still have a flourishing software franchise after selling you the Windows OS.

The licenses will expire. Not sure when exactly, but the probelm is that HG can keep renewing their Macross film and merchandising rights as long as Tatsunko is willing. As for the Macross trademarks those can be renewed indefineatly as long as HG is selling products that bear the Macross name and logo like their Macross saga dvds.

Possible backfire, "if" the WB movie gets made, and "if' its popular (admittedly to huge ifs), HG risks some company with bigger pockets swooping in for those rights. Tatsunoko will only renew with HG as long as its profitable. If someone ever tossed more cash their way...

Possible backfire, "if" the WB movie gets made, and "if' its popular (admittedly to huge ifs), HG risks some company with bigger pockets swooping in for those rights. Tatsunoko will only renew with HG as long as its profitable. If someone ever tossed more cash their way...

You're assuming they didn't make one of thoes early '80s "license for life" deals that they no longer do.

Not a chance. All the new reimagined stuff created for this potentially popular Robotech will be the property of either HG, Maquire Entertainment, or WB and will have nothing to do with the Tatsunko Macross rights over international distribution. Also WB movie or not no one is gonna buy Tatsunko license without buying HG's trademarks and their whole Robotech franchise. Tatsunko's merchandise and film rights are only as valuable as the paper their printed on if you don't have HG's seal of approval and an inventory of Macross merchandise to repackage and sell.

Doubt anyone is concerned about those things yet since they don't even have a script ready. Since the people involved don't have much to do until then, they should plan ahead before all that legal stuff catches up to them and inevitably halt the LAMR further.

The licenses will expire. Not sure when exactly, but the probelm is that HG can keep renewing their Macross film and merchandising rights as long as >>>>>>>Tatsunko is willing<<<<<<. As for the Macross trademarks those can be renewed indefineatly as long as HG is selling products that bear the Macross name and logo like their Macross saga dvds.

Greed won't stop HG from fighting back all attempts to take away their cash cow. They have more lawyers than creative people in their crew as well as their own interpretation of licensing.

HEHEHE

FINALLY....... THEY GET TO THE CORE OF THE LICENSING DEBATE ^_^

YOU ALSO HAVE TO REMEMBER, TATSUNOKO DOES NOT JUST ONLY WANTS SOMEONE WHO CAN WORK THE LICENSE BUT AS WELL DEFEND THEIR LICENSE OUTSIDE OF JAPAN. THAT BAD BLOOD BETWEEN TATSU AND BIG WEST IS THE CORE FOR HAVING A GREAT PARTNER LIKE HG, AS SAD AS IT MIGHT BE FOR MACROSS FANS, NOT JUST ON EXPLOITING MACROSS (AS HG HAS THE RIGHT TO), BUT AS WELL AS TO STOP ANYTHING COMING OUT OF JAPAN...

YOU THINK THEIR ARE COMPANYS OUT THERE THAT CAN DO BETTER, BUT WHO CAN ALSO BE BETTER WITH ITS LAWYERS TO PREVENT BIG WEST FROM IMPORTING AS WELL....WITHOUT GOING THROUGH TATSUNOKO?

THESE THREADS GO AROUND HG BUT REALLY DONT SEE WHAT TATSU ALSO WOULD LIKE... MAKING THAT BAD BLOOD STICK.

HG HAS COME OUT AND MANY TIMES WANTED WHAT FANS FROM THIS SITE WANT. BUT WITH THE LEGAL STUFF IN JAPAN.......

OH WELL.

BACK TO :ph34r:

HG HAS COME OUT AND MANY TIMES WANTED WHAT FANS FROM THIS SITE WANT. BUT WITH THE LEGAL STUFF IN JAPAN.......

OH WELL.

Yeah, because HG would NEVER lie and pander to their fans to make themselves look better for years on end doing nothing but planning stuff. Also, turning fans into personal spokespersons.

HEHEHE

Edited by Einherjar

Yeah, because HG would NEVER lie and pander to their fans to make themselves look better for years on end doing nothing but planning stuff. Also, turning fans into personal spokespersons.

HEHEHE

I wish these official Robotech spokespeople would get grammar classes. There's enough bad copy around the net.

HEHEHE

FINALLY....... THEY GET TO THE CORE OF THE LICENSING DEBATE ^_^

YOU ALSO HAVE TO REMEMBER, TATSUNOKO DOES NOT JUST ONLY WANTS SOMEONE WHO CAN WORK THE LICENSE BUT AS WELL DEFEND THEIR LICENSE OUTSIDE OF JAPAN. THAT BAD BLOOD BETWEEN TATSU AND BIG WEST IS THE CORE FOR HAVING A GREAT PARTNER LIKE HG, AS SAD AS IT MIGHT BE FOR MACROSS FANS, NOT JUST ON EXPLOITING MACROSS (AS HG HAS THE RIGHT TO), BUT AS WELL AS TO STOP ANYTHING COMING OUT OF JAPAN...

YOU THINK THEIR ARE COMPANYS OUT THERE THAT CAN DO BETTER, BUT WHO CAN ALSO BE BETTER WITH ITS LAWYERS TO PREVENT BIG WEST FROM IMPORTING AS WELL....WITHOUT GOING THROUGH TATSUNOKO?

THESE THREADS GO AROUND HG BUT REALLY DONT SEE WHAT TATSU ALSO WOULD LIKE... MAKING THAT BAD BLOOD STICK.

OH WELL.

I'd like to respond to your post, but I can't understand what you're trying to say. :mellow:

Gubaba

I'd like to respond to your post, but I can't understand what you're trying to say.

I WAS AGREEING TO THE QUOTES I MADE ABOVE AND WAS JUST ADDING MORE TO IT.

NOT TRY TO MAKE MEDMAP...ER AND ANYONE ELSE THINK HG IS THE BEST.

BUT ONE HAS ALSO HAVE TO SEE IT FROM TATSUNOKO SIDE.

:mellow:

I wish these official Robotech spokespeople would get grammar classes. There's enough bad copy around the net.

NON "OFFICIAL" FOR THE FANDOM DEAR SIR. B))

WITH SUCH BAD GRAMAR DONT THINK I COULD GET FAR IN A COMPANY..

OH WELL.. READ YOU GUYS LATER

HEHEHE

Gubaba

I WAS AGREEING TO THE QUOTES I MADE ABOVE AND WAS JUST ADDING MORE TO IT.

NOT TRY TO MAKE MEDMAP...ER AND ANYONE ELSE THINK HG IS THE BEST.

BUT ONE HAS ALSO HAVE TO SEE IT FROM TATSUNOKO SIDE.

:mellow:

What quotes were you agreeing with? What's Medmap? What does Tatsunoko have to do with anything beyond the original series and DYRL?

As I said, I'd LIKE to respond to your post, but I can't understand it. I'm not even asking you to turn the caps-lock off, just type with correct grammar. Surely that's not an impossible request...?

WITH SUCH BAD GRAMAR DONT THINK I COULD GET FAR IN A COMPANY..

OH WELL.. READ YOU GUYS LATER

HEHEHE

Oh, I'm pretty sure you're the real deal, MEMO. You being all buddy buddy with the Harmony Gold staff.

What's Medmap?

The dude's referring to me. ^_^ Old alias and all.

Edited by chrisk

What's the difference? You do the same job the official person does, except for free.

You are the new Robotech Master, Justy Ueki, Darkwater, and Captain JLS for the Robotech fandom. You're essentially doing the same thing those people did, just not burned out yet.

THE QUOTES I WAS AGREEING WERE FROM TWO DIFFERENT POSTS.

Freiflug88

The licenses will expire. Not sure when exactly, but the probelm is that HG can keep renewing their Macross film and merchandising rights as long as Tatsunko is willing. As for the Macross trademarks those can be renewed indefineatly as long as HG is selling products that bear the Macross name and logo like their Macross saga dvds.

Einherjar

Greed won't stop HG from fighting back all attempts to take away their cash cow. They have more lawyers than creative people in their crew as well as their own interpretation of licensing.

AND WAS ADDING:

THAT IF ANOTHER COMPANY, THAT MANNY HERE WOULD LIKE TO SEE HANDLE THE RIGHTS TO MACROSS OTHER THAN HG, WOULD HAVE TO ALSO RESPECT THE WISHES OF TATSUNOKO. NOT LETTING MACROSS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.

LIKE BIG WEST WONT LET HG "ROBOTECH/MACROSS" INTO JAPAN.

OTHERS WILL EXPLAIN IN MORE DETAIL..

SORRY FOR MY SPANGLISH GRAMAR AND CAPS.. WHY I POST VERY LITTLE HERE.

:rolleyes:

Oh, I'm pretty sure you're the real deal, MEMO. You being all buddy buddy with the Harmony Gold staff.

Recently, I had quite an interesting discussion with some fairly influential members of the Robotech fanbase about just this sort of thing. It seems that quite a few of the more vocal and fervent defenders of Robotech and Harmony Gold... particularly those who are very active in the fanbase... are motivated by the mistaken impression their hard work will land them a paid staff position working on Robotech for Harmony Gold.

On an unrelated, but still interesting note... during that discussion an interesting theory was proposed about the whole Harmony Gold/Warner Bros partnership. With the huge emphasis on the live-action movie as thought it were a make-or-break situation for Robotech, some of them have started to think that Harmony Gold may be shopping around for someone with more experience to take over creative control of Robotech, leaving them free to just sit back and collect royalty checks. The theory is that the live-action movie project is to get Robotech back into the spotlight long enough to make it a marketable property for them to sell.

What's the difference? You do the same job the official person does, except for free.

You are the new Robotech Master, Justy Ueki, Darkwater, and Captain JLS for the Robotech fandom. You're essentially doing the same thing those people did, just not burned out yet.

Give it time... they're screwing over Brian McAfee pretty badly right now... I'm sure they'll get around to screwing MEMO over once they're finished.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

THAT IF ANOTHER COMPANY, THAT MANNY HERE WOULD LIKE TO SEE HANDLE THE RIGHTS TO MACROSS OTHER THAN HG, WOULD HAVE TO ALSO RESPECT THE WISHES OF TATSUNOKO. NOT LETTING MACROSS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.

LIKE BIG WEST WONT LET HG "ROBOTECH/MACROSS" INTO JAPAN.

Again, what does Tatsunoko have to do with anything except SDFM TV and DYRL? They own no rights to II, Plus, 7, Zero, or Frontier.

OTHERS WILL EXPLAIN IN MORE DETAIL..

I hope so.

SORRY FOR MY SPANGLISH GRAMAR AND CAPS.. WHY I POST VERY LITTLE HERE.

:rolleyes:

Spanish grammar isn't so different from English...every sentence needs a subject and a verb, yes?

Seto Kaiba

Recently, I had quite an interesting discussion with some fairly influential members of the Robotech fanbase about just this sort of thing. It seems that quite a few of the more vocal and fervent defenders of Robotech and Harmony Gold... particularly those who are very active in the fanbase... are motivated by the mistaken impression their hard work will land them a paid staff position working on Robotech for Harmony Gold.

SEE, HERE IS THE PROBLEM.. THESE influential AND NON influential FEED MANNY THINGS.

AS FOR MYSELF, I EARN TO MUCH FOR WHAT HG WOULD OFFER..

AND HAVE MORE PRIVATE PLANS OUTSIDE OF ROBOTECH OF MY OWN.

HARD TO BELIEVE SOME FANS CAN BE FANS AND ENJOY BEEING FANS. LIKE STAR WARS FANS, NOT ALL ARE TRYING TO "LAND A JOB" AT LUCAS ARTS FOR EXAMPLE. DRESSING UP, WORKING ON FAN PROJECTS, COSTUME.. ETC. ETC.

Gubaba

Spanish grammar isn't so different from English...every sentence needs a subject and a verb, yes?

AND STEALING A GOOD QUOTE FROM A GOOD OLE FRIEND..

"SOMETIMES"