Robotech and HG License Debates

That's tame for me. After I read the first few issues of the new comic (after #0 that is), I wanted to lynch the man for what he did to Johnathan Wolff.

Oh no. Don't let some guy wreck all the fanfiction created around a one note character from Mospeada.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if their were any announcements at Anime Expo about WB's other anime adaption in the works, Gatchaman? I know a new trailer was revealed, but I am curious if its still set for a 2010 release or if the rumors are true that it has been pushed back to 2011.

Zilcho on any news about this flick. You could check out the upcoming G-force movie... That's uh... kinda like Gatchaman.

To everyone else, he sounds like any other tech savvy nerd out there, and the flair in his work space helps the image. Too bad it's questionable whether or not he's actually doing work there anymore.

Not a shameless self-promotor, eh?

AnotherView.jpg

Either this "harmless" video is actually part of Kevin McKeever's "ground-level" marketing, or Tommy Yune is a bigger narcissist than I previously realized...

NOTE: I wonder why Tommy didn't mention taking his wife, and getting a babysitter? I feel bad for her.

Jason, you tell me. You're the one who attends the guy's social circles! ^_^

It's up to Doug Bendo to lead thee flock as the one true prophet.

There's a recent episode entitled "Macross fans are bitches!!!"

Haven't heard it yet.

That's tame for me. After I read the first few issues of the new comic (after #0 that is), I wanted to lynch the man for what he did to Johnathan Wolff.

I don't get why you have a bone to pick with that comic. Wolff was in like, two panels? I really believe that comic about Roy Fokker's origin story was an even bigger travesty to printed comics. Lets not even go to Prelude to the Shadow Crapnicles anymore.

Since the franchise has switched hands between the TV series, comic books, and novels, character derailment was bound to happen to keep things interesting. For crying out loud, they used the same characters over and over after all. Maybe Johnathan Wolff got off easy compared to others.

It would be kind of said if that picture of Yune did not come from the HG office.

There's a recent episode entitled "Macross fans are bitches!!!"

Haven't heard it yet.

You're spelling it wrong. It's "Why macross fans are bitchs!!!" ^_^

You're spelling it wrong. It's "Why macross fans are bitchs!!!" ^_^

If we were small-minded we could do our own podcast called "Why Robotech fans are dumb arseholes", but we are not small mined and petty enough? Are we?

Maybe that sort of thing does deserve a response?

Taksraven

Oh no. Don't let some guy wreck all the fanfiction created around a one note character from Mospeada.

I agree, we can't let Tommy Yune and the HG paparazzi continue to sell these tabloid stories that disrespect fictional celebrities like Jonathon Wolfe. Those poor artificial people have feelings too... right?

Zilcho on any news about this flick. You could check out the upcoming G-force movie... That's uh... kinda like Gatchaman.

Nice try. We've all clicked on the G-Force trailer expecting to see the familiar Gatchaman adaption only to scream WTF Disney after seeing that its Gerbil force.

I was able to confirm one new fact about the Gatchaman movie though. They've made Professor Nambu black and he is being voiced by David Oyelowo.

Either this "harmless" video is actually part of Kevin McKeever's "ground-level" marketing, or Tommy Yune is a bigger narcissist than I previously realized...

So the guys feels free to posts his own artwork and stuff on his back wall as he pleases. Big Deal. If the wall posts bother you that much why don't you storm in his office and tear them down yourself?

Maybe that sort of thing does deserve a response?

Why bother? He'll always be a broken record about it. One thing I can say is that it must take a lot of effort for one person to be frowned upon by BOTH Macross and Robotech fans, even if a part of the Robotech fandom, I don't know the numbers, actually like him for a long period of time.

If he was more "approachable" HG would probably use his show as a replacement for Space Station Liberty, being the last podcast out there focusing on Robotech. Oh well, they both lose an opportunity.

Those poor artificial people have feelings too... right?

I heard all the original Japanese Macross characters tried to file a lawsuit in the 80's. They lost.

Nice try. We've all clicked on the G-Force trailer expecting to see the familiar Gatchaman adaption only to scream WTF Disney after seeing that its Gerbil force.

Talk about getting away from your source material...

If he was more "approachable" HG would probably use his show as a replacement for Space Station Liberty, being the last podcast out there focusing on Robotech. Oh well, they both lose an opportunity.

Why not get Kevin Sambieda to do the official Robocast? Doesn't he have his own podcast?

In a way the characters won in the 90's and beyond, leaving Robotech with complete doppelgangers ever since, from similar looking characters with different names to just odd looking/acting characters given the same names by default. Or worse, no longer appearing on screen or dead.

Why not get Kevin Sambieda to do the official Robocast? Doesn't he have his own podcast?

He's an employee and president of Palladium Books, which is entirely separate from HG despite the RPG books.

Edited by Einherjar

Jason, you tell me. You're the one who attends the guy's social circles!

Oh, I think you know, I've long since abandoned that area. I've been in there a whole one time, and there's not really anything that really stand out. Anything that's Robotech related is pretty much stuff you could buy or find. As for the Doug Bendo thing, I have yet to listen to that podcast. Maybe since I have the day off, I'll listen in. It'll be very interesting if he has now resorted to calling names. If you don't like Macross, that's one thing, but damn, be a little civil about it. Maybe the frustration of wanting to support a boring franchise is a bit much?

This is not a double post.

I don't consider Bill Spangler and Michael Ling's Robotech II: The Sentinels The Malcontent Uprisings freaking fanfiction.

This is not a double post.

I don't consider Bill Spangler and Michael Ling's Robotech II: The Sentinels The Malcontent Uprisings freaking fanfiction.

So Bill Spengler and Michael Ling are some of the original Robotech creators?

No?

Then it's fanfiction.

It may be very good, very high-level, very well-paid fanfiction, but it's fanfiction nonetheless.

So Bill Spengler and Michael Ling are some of the original Robotech creators?

No?

Then it's fanfiction.

It may be very good, very high-level, very well-paid fanfiction, but it's fanfiction nonetheless.

Was the comic licensed by HG at the time? Yes.

Then it's not fanfiction. End of freaking story.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Was the comic licensed by HG at the time? Yes.

Then it's not fanfiction. End of freaking story.

Fanfiction is fiction NOT written by the original creators, no? And it shows characters and situations that the original creators may choose to ignore or change.

So they were paid by HG. So what? They were not original creators, and YOU probably know more about Robotech history than they did.

Ergo, it's fanfiction. End of freaking story. :p

As bad as some of those side stories were from those comics, at least Robotech had stuff moving, even when there was no mention of Robotech via an internet, or any other media. It all was hit or miss, but there were a couple good stories. As far as fanfic vs. not fanfic, I'd kinda go along the lines that if it was officially licensed, I can't really call it simply a fanfic. Even if some of the crap made no sense, and was very loosely related to the core of Robotech, it was what it was, and it kept some fans interested for quite sometime.

Fanfiction is fiction NOT written by the original creators, no? And it shows characters and situations that the original creators may choose to ignore or change.

So they were paid by HG. So what? They were not original creators, and YOU probably know more about Robotech history than they did.

Ergo, it's fanfiction. End of freaking story. :p

It's the other way around. those companies paid HG for the privilege of making those stories.

How do you think that company made the money it used to make crap like Shadow Chronocles and Shadow rising (I'm suprised J Micheal Strazynki didn't sue for copyright infringement).

So Bill Spangler and Michael Ling are some of the original Robotech creators?

Hmm... Weren't they commissioned by Carl Macek?

Anyone ever heard of the Starwars: Legacy comics? The ones set a hundred or so years after A New Hope? Or how about the hundred or so stuff that came out for the franchise since the late 80's?

spacer.gif

Fan-fiction is a pretty... derogatory term. Why doesn't the boys at Harmony Gold officially adopt the Lucasfilms idea of calling the movie canon "G-canon", TV-show canon "T-canon", a novels-only canon, etc.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

Oh, I think you know, I've long since abandoned that area.

You won't consider attending one of those RobotechX BBQs? Who knows? Kevin or Steve might show up and ask them the real deal with the franchise...

Here's some highlight guys:

Rotards.jpg

• Due to the overwhelming success of Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game, The Macross Saga and Robotech: The Masters sourcebooks, Palladium Books will release two new supplemental RPG books covering the New Generation and The Sentinels era called Robotech: Expeditionary Force – Marines due out later in the year.

• The re-release of Maia Sterling's MPC Shadow Fighter will be produced from the same factory as the Beta Fighter and released later this year!

... *yawn* that's really about it.

Yeah, because Robotech had SO MUCH integrity before they came along... ;)

I wonder how long it took before they stopped caring and just focused on making money.

How do you think that company made the money it used to make crap like Shadow Chronocles and Shadow rising (I'm suprised J Micheal Strazynki didn't sue for copyright infringement).

I remember them re releasing a lot of VHS and DVDs in the years prior that got picked up every single time.

Edited by Einherjar

I'm trying to put this into perspective here. All of your love for the supplementary material does not change the fact that even in Robotech the show, Major Jonathan is a pretty one note character. It's like trying to get bent out of shape because someone killed off General Crix Madene in this one Star Wars book. Does anybody really remember Crix Madene from the original movies? No but the guys writing the Star Wars novels loved to use him so much precisely because there was so little to him, but hey he was still in the movie right? Hell Star Wars books are a great example of what happens when you let supplementary material try to fill in the gaps. It just gets ignored when the next big franchise push comes.

So yeah, its fanfiction. A wonderful manipulation of the setting and characters or just plain crap, but in the end none of it really matters.

So yeah, its fanfiction. A wonderful manipulation of the setting and characters or just plain crap, but in the end none of it really matters.

I still believe Boba Fett is the king of fans getting carried away with the character...

I still believe Boba Fett is the king of fans getting carried away with the character...

Same here. I believe its due to his mystique as a bad ass in a mask with few words. The less of a charater the fans get the more they want of him or her.

Sorry for doing this, but this kind of interests me. According to HG, we, the disgruntled Robotech and Macross fans, but mostly Robotech fans, have a hard time getting over things that happened 23 years ago regarding their unique situation and are always ignoring the progress that's been happening over the last three years. AKA, it's not our fault Robotech appears to not be going anywhere, it's you who can't see the positive things that are already here and on the horizon. It goes on for a couple of paragraphs, but maybe that's their reasoning why people like Captain JLS, Justy Ueki, and Robotech Master eventually left the fandom. However, you can also contribute that to why, probably, a lot of fans are still enthusiastic about what's in store for Robotech.

Response # 29

As someone who got into the debate relatively late, my question is what really has happened over the last three years with Robotech? I only know about the secondary merchandise they've released, Shadow Chronicles, and lots of plans brought forth that have not come to fruition yet, but did I miss anything else?

If I was a fan, it sounds like they're asking me to wait an indefinite period of time for the smoking gun of Robotech. But to tide me over until that eventually comes, oh it will come, they just don't know when :wacko:, they have all these toys and stuff in the works for me to buy, if I'm interested.

Here's a scenario; as a fan not feeling satisfied with the direction of Robotech at the moment, I have the choice of either washing my hands of it, completely or partially, or stick it out until something happens. If I quit there is the possibility that I was right all along and the Robotech ship eventually sank from bad decisions. But there's also the possibility that somewhere down the road the smoking gun will come and HG would have been right about me from the beginning. Shame on you doubtful fan. If I stay, there's the possibility that the smoking gun will come and I would have been vindicated of all the doubts I had. The trade off is that, with a firm timetable not established, I may have to rely on patience and luck/faith that it will happen. It would be my reward for staying with them through the thick and thin if they were right. Unfortunately, there is the possibility that you're going to have to wait a long time and possibly hear all of a sudden that the Robotech ship has sank. At least they had my support until the bitter end.

Now imagine having to make that decision every time you hear that a there is very little update on a Robotech production or it's stalled again from a convention, a negative story that fits their MO, or hearing nothing unless you frequent exclusive sites posting news on it while the rest of the world wouldn't bother. How strong would your resolve be every time?

Guilt trips are cruel, aren't they?