Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Yup, that's the spot it breaks. I pre-emptively strengthened mine there by drilling a hole through the tab and inserting an old steel drill bit to hopefully reinforce that spot.

Hi can you post pics of what you did? I might try and do that and I guess I'm stuck with gerwalk mode *sigh* thank you in advance!

Actually I don't think I can take pics, I think it'd damage that section to open it up. There really is nothing more to explain/say anyways---drill a hole through the tab, break the bit off inside of it. Thus, the tab has a steel rod inside of it now.

Hi I have a question I just finished building an ozma vf-25s and when transforming it to battroid mode, I broke the tab that holds the hip into place ( see picture ) and now the body keeps on falling backwards in battroid, is there any fix to this or do I need to buy a new kit? thank you!

1003370r.th.jpg

I remember someone remedied their broken tab by using small rare-earth magnets.

Found the post in WM Cheng's build-up thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=689753

Holy ****!

HLJ having a sale on a bunch of Macross items, including the Frontier model kits. Time to finally round out the SMS squad!

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?DisplayMode=i...0Special%20Sale

Nice... already have a super Alto and regular Michael... so I'll have to get Super Ozma for awesomeness, and Brera for a villain..

But the tough question is.. do I get a Luca for the Ghosts, or do I buy another Michael for a CF? Or do I get both? :huh:

This is gonna be one heck of an order of models.. especially if I throw in the extra Yammie strike pack set I want.

I jus wish the SMS base wasn't backordered, I'd buy a few.

Edited by Chronocidal

Nice... already have a super Alto and regular Michael... so I'll have to get Super Ozma for awesomeness, and Brera for a villain..

But the tough question is.. do I get a Luca for the Ghosts, or do I buy another Michael for a CF? Or do I get both? :huh:

This is gonna be one heck of an order of models.. especially if I throw in the extra Yammie strike pack set I want.

I jus wish the SMS base wasn't backordered, I'd buy a few.

is the regular display base same as the gundam ones?

is the regular display base same as the gundam ones?

I'm not sure, I've never bought any before. Considering they're 800 yen a piece, I might pick up a few when they get back in stock.

A few pics of the models on HLJ use a simple black stand, but I've seen recolors of that same stand all over HLJ in different color schemes, for different Gundams.

I can't say about the regular stands, but the SMS edition has mounting points for Luca's ghosts if you have them (the ghosts in his kit come with a mounting arm to attach to the base).

Since it was my first time building the super VF-25 kit, no one mentioned how difficult the missile batch was to make it look like a batch of missiles. :wacko:

Bandai could have made a dark plate that goes over the red molded missiles which would have been better looking.

post-7534-1266698778_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1266698853_thumb.jpeg

I was surprised (a pleasant one at that) to learn that the SMS display stand can hold more than the 1/72 VF-25. :D

post-7534-1266698886_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1266698900_thumb.jpeg

Since it was my first time building the super VF-25 kit, no one mentioned how difficult the missile batch was to make it look like a batch of missiles. :wacko:

Bandai could have made a dark plate that goes over the red molded missiles which would have been better looking.

post-7534-1266698778_thumb.jpeg

That's really impressive for a first try, beautiful job. ^_^

It is a shame about the missiles though.. Considering I've got a pair of super VF-25 sets to build (Alto and Ozma), I might have to come up with a fancy solution for that.

How hard would it be to completely drill out the missiles, and replace them with spare sprue, or maybe metal tubing?

I just made an absolute haul from HLJ this week from that sale.. Oy.. 4 kits (Michael, Super Ozma, Luca, and Brera) plus the movie edition Alto DX... the box was huge. Now I've got enough Frontier kits to probably last me several years. :lol:

But those are stikers, isn´t it ron?

The RVF-25 has 99% decals. The only place where a sticker was used was on the radar dish.

Bandai decals prints seems to be not very fine or rich in color. The stickers are no better. I wish the sticker print quality was as good as the Yamato's.

Ok, now I'm going to say ron has the best purple-canopy so far. How'd you do it?

Hehe...thanks David, but the canopy is suppose to be clear. :p I believe the ambient lighting made it look a bit purple-ish.

I'm sick and coughing and sneezing like crazy, so I figured I might as well do something productive so I translated some colors for Grace's valk. Mr Hobby codes included.

First three colors (the main three of the valk)

1. Khaki H81 (40%)+Olive Drab 1 H52 (30%)+Neutral Gray H53 (20%)+White H1 (5%)+Yellow-Green H16 (5%). Overall fuselage color.

2. Tire Black H77 (40%)+ Olive Drab 1 H52 (30%)+Neutral Gray H53 (20%)+Green H6 (10%). Dark stripe/accent color.

3. White H1 (60%)+Grey H22 (20%)+Gull Grey H51 (10%). Light stripe/accent color.

Just some notes for those of us (like me) who don't use Mr Color etc:

Olive Drab 1 and 2 would probably more akin to olive drab vs green drab for Testors etc. Brightening the heck out of my digital color chart, I would say Green Drab would be the correct choice (on the chart Olive Drab 1 is greener than Olive Drab 2, and Green Drab is greener than US Olive Drab). Plus it just makes sense---it'd simply be too brown otherwise.

"H53 Neutral grey" is not the FS36270 color. I think they literally mean Kodak neutral gray etc. Slightly darker and cooler than 36270.

Tire black is "very dark grey".

H22 grey is lighter and warmer than H53. Warmer and darker than 36270.

I think yellow-green would best be described as grass green. REAL summer grass-green, as when you have a pile of clippings from a lawn mower. Not the impossibly rich green everyone wishes grass was.

Flightsuit colors (which I think are totally wrong):

1. Emerald Green H46 (70%)+White H1 (25%)+ 5% "sumire and some kanji I'll never identify"

2. Emerald Green H46 (60%)+Blue H5 (35%)+White H1 (5%)

I'd do the rest of the colors but really--would anyone use them? I think we're all just going to use our favorite "mecha colors" anyways for the internal frame, feet/nozzles, etc. Beam rifle seems to have 4 slightly different shades of grey, all just mixes of dark greys. None seems to be the "main" color from what I can make out.

the nose is very SV-51 as well, which in turn is very sukhoi! I am not sure I like the fin right in front of the canopy though...

Has anybody started building the green one? My problem with the VF-27 kit is:

1) elongated torso (due to very long nose cone?)

2) low hip placement, the legs are on swing bars like the VF-25, but since the intake pretty much remains on the torso, the legs come down too low.

on fighter mode, there are too minor cosmetic issues: nose gear is too far forward, like in the VF-25 kit...should be at the very back of the bay doors. The beam gun is somehow too forward. I know it's supposed to stick out of the aircraft nose in the anime, but in the kit it looks like it's going to fall...it's hanging too low as well.

VF-27 has a virtually identical transformation to the VF-25, so Bandai recycled quite a few parts from the 25 design, including the lower hip placement, which looks pretty low.

The air intake covers are problematic too (the actual air intakes remain on the leg; why would anyone separate the air intakes from the engines?) because they look kinda elongated on the model, but shortening them would also mean having to make the upper legs thinner, and shrink or squash the air intake fans to accomodate it. I'm unsure how else one could get around it. I haven't bothered doing a freeze frame comparison to see just how big they're supposed to be in the anime.

post-5703-1267564516_thumb.jpg

I love that candy apple red! I'm seriously considering the metallic approach now. Oh wait, I still need to finish my VF-25G first! Ah, the joys and slow projects that come with being a father and husband... ;)

VF-27 has a virtually identical transformation to the VF-25, so Bandai recycled quite a few parts from the 25 design, including the lower hip placement, which looks pretty low.

I know what you mean Lolicon, but I think the fastest solution would've been to use a swing bar a tad shorter for the VF-27 to compensate for the lack of the front part of the intakes which remain in the chest. That would actually turn the Lucifer a tad shorter than the Messiah in Battroid mode, but at least the leg placement would not be so low. (Does the VF-27 use the same crotch parts after all?)

What intrigues me is the reason behind the elongated "torso", somehow the nosecone or radome of the VF-27 seems so much longer than that of the VF-25 in Battroid mode! Is it much longer in fighter? can anybody do a side by side comparison of the models? I don't have the Lucifer kit so I cannot do that myself.