Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

it operates in space!!! no need to take off

Okay, not "take off". "Launch" :p

I know it uses the launch arm, I'm just wondering if they load the gun (and last parts) while on the launch arm... or they already finished that in the hangar...

in mac F all fighters launch using a catapault (much like the F-14 from a Navy ship)

not a launch arm ala DYRL.

all the guns and armor are mounted on prior to launch

and the landing gear still gives it ample clearance

well i guess we just have to see how much clearance there ACTUALLY is for ourselves when we finally finish building the kit,

but here's a pic from bandai for now:

4543112587657_i06.jpg

i am astounded

Edited by honkhet

Sorry if I'm asking at the wrong place, but I've been away for a long time and tried searching on the forum for an answer to the following questions.

Concerning the Macross Frontier VF-25 transformable model kits, what are the sizes that are being sold? I know that there are the 1/72 and 1/100 model kits by Bandai and I've heard about the 1/60 (which I can't find further information then the fact that they are either sold out or discontinued, I primarily buy from Hobby Link Japan www.hlj.com)

Any advice on which of the different scale/size models are accurate and good quality? I saw the 1/72 on HLJ and am thinking of getting that one if I can't find a 1/60 or larger model. I'm interested in the VF-25F Alto version.

Thanks.

MystX

Re-edit

loltilt.jpg

.......... Considering how most of the thrusters are not even aimed correctly to give it forward and upward lift... It's gonna have a tough time taking off in a gravity environment.

That’s why armored messiah and super messiah mods were only meant for operating in space.

This was the case ever since the VF-1 super & GBP, except for some designs in Mac 7.

if you watch macross frontier, all the extra armor is always ejected by the pilot when entering an atmosphere (gravity env)

the armor will merge together by itself (magnetically?) and remain in space as a pile of goodies (in a fixed orbit around the planet?? not sure...).

ONLY in episode 1 do we see ozma enter a gravity env with all his armor parts on,

but bear in mind he entered in GERWALK mode NOT in jet mode.

thus with the foot thrusters angled down, it was ample to keep the valk flying with all the armor still on.

Re-edit

loltilt.jpg

.......... Considering how most of the thrusters are not even aimed correctly to give it forward and upward lift... It's gonna have a tough time taking off in a gravity environment.

After seeing this "simulation", I am more confident the armored version is better displayed in battroid mode. I am still not sure if I will pay 2 times the price of a regular kit for this one.

Yea I know Honkhet, I just think its pretty funny looking anyway =P.

Unfortunately, I am one of the suckers who is more than willing to pay the $80+ for this kit T_T

I´m not sure that this fighter photo is reliable, seems that the legs are not up (the typical legs issue, down by weight).

Look, there diferences betwen this :

4543112587657_i17.jpg

4543112587657_i16.jpg

The first photo seems that have legs down but the second photo is right.

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

Some quick pics of my VF-25F that I recently finished. Pretty amateurish, but I like it, despite all my screwups. B)) These are some quick indoor pics; I want to get some good pics of it outdoors sometime this weekend (no good indoor spot for photos, and the sun is the best light source anyway!)

Additional notes:

-Used waterslide decals. I haven't done waterslides in ages.

-Tailfin red is painted, as the decals were pretty awful.

-Chucked out the terrible landing gear in favor of SMS stand.

-Painted the underside of the lerx (is that what it's called?) black as it appears in the anime.

-Painted the wingtip navigational lights, because the decals suck.

-Painted the gunpod sensor, because the decal sucked. (I'm noticing a theme here.)

-Painted the sides of the main body interlocking parts red and black to minimize the unsightly white gaps between them. And yes, those decals sucked too.

-Canopy looks rather milky in this poor lighting. It's much more transparent in person.

-Cockpit display is a scan of the Hasegawa 1/72 YF-19 display decal.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll get better pics later. Enjoy! :lol:

post-5703-1244129970_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244129976_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244129982_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244129989_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244129996_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244130003_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244130009_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244130016_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244130021_thumb.jpg post-5703-1244130033_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1244130028_thumb.jpg

Concerning the Macross Frontier VF-25 transformable model kits, what are the sizes that are being sold? I know that there are the 1/72 and 1/100 model kits by Bandai and I've heard about the 1/60 (which I can't find further information then the fact that they are either sold out or discontinued, I primarily buy from Hobby Link Japan www.hlj.com)

Just to expand on what others have mentioned.

The only VF-25 model kits currently in production by Bandai are in 1/72 scale. So far the following kits have been released: -

1. 1/72 VF-25F Alto.
  2. 1/72 VF-25S Ozma
  3. 1/72 VF-25G Michael.
  4. 1/72 RVF-25 Luca with 3 x Ghosts.
  5. 1/72 Super Pack Set.
  6. 1/72 VF-25F Alto with Super Packs.
  7. 1/72 VF-25S Ozma with Super Packs.

The following additional 1/72 scale kits have been announced by Bandai, but not released yet: -

1. 1/72 VF-25S Ozma with Armored Pack.
  2. 1/72 VF-25F Alto with Armoured Pack.
  3. 1/72 Q-Rea.
  4. 1/72 VF-27.

Additionally, Bandai have recently announced a 1/48 scale VF-25F Alto, but as yet there is no word on the price, the release date, or even whether it will be transformable or not.

Moving onto the toys.

The Bandai 1/100 scale VF-25F Alto, VF-25S Ozma and VF-25G Michael released so far are parts-forming toys, not model kits. By parts-forming, I mean that some parts have to be removed and other parts attached to transform between modes. Quite a few parts actually. These are part of the Bandai VF100s line, which will eventually feature variable fighters from all the various Macross anime (that is if the line sells well enough to continue). Other confimed releases coming soon are the vF-25F Alto with Armoured Pack and VF-19Kai Fire Valkyrie.

Bandai also makes a line of perfect transformation VF-25 toys in 1/60 scale. Released so far are the VF-25F Alto, VF-25S Ozma, VF-25G Michael with Super Packs & stand, RVF-25 Luca with Super Packs & stand. Super Packs and stands for Alto and Ozma have only been released as webshop exclusives so far. Coming releases include the VF-25S Ozma with Armoured Pack, standalone Armored Pack for Alto (webshop exclusive), a clear VF-25F Alto and webshop exclusive Ghost and Fold Booster sets.

Graham

Pretty amateurish? Those pics look great! Nicely done!

Now this is an amateurish build (sorry about the size and lousy quality):

post-10360-1244178778_thumb.jpg

post-10360-1244178880_thumb.jpg

post-10360-1244179006_thumb.jpg

This was a quick buildup to see how the parts all fit and where paint will need to go, etc. I'll start painting hopefully this weekend.

I really hope Bandai does transformable 1/72s outside of Macross Frontier. Their line has pretty awesome quality, and with the current nebulous licensing details, I would like to add some VF-17s to my collection. Anything but VF-1s and it'll be greatly welcomed.

Also, I was assembling my VF-25G kit, but I noticed that I had a lot of duplicate parts in both blue and white. o_O. At first I thought it was to let you choose between 2 different schemes... But only a few select parts are in both white and blue. It doesn't really seem to make sense. Anyone else know whats going on?

Edited by Cent

I noticed that too. They're from the crotch piece, right? And on mine, it's not just because I used the super parts.

If I had to guess, I'd say there might be slight differences in that area between the G and F types, compared to the S and perhaps RVF type. The crotch piece ends up pushed up against the head in fighter mode and the G and F are similar in how they sit (facing backward) and the S is totally different. Not sure about the RVF though.

Edited by mickyg

Looking very nice!

Got a bit done on mine this weekend (mainly pilot/cockpit/canopy tinting):

quick/dirty fit into the frame

post-10360-1244513386_thumb.jpg

final paint application and oil wash applied

post-10360-1244513411_thumb.jpg

after wiping the wash off

post-10360-1244513436_thumb.jpg

I actually took a few decent pics with a decent camera over the weekend but didn't manage to copy them over to my PC at work. I promise these camera phone pics don't do this any favours! The real thing is looking pretty cool.

I'm still not happy with the canopy tint (no pics shown). I must've redid it 4 times over the weekend. The Aussie equivalent of Future comes in 2 types and the only one I can find in my region has serious issues when you apply more than one coat. The second coat reacts with the first and it ends up a wrinkled mess. So I ended up dipping the whole canopy (inside and out) and carefully soaking up the areas that pooled with a brush. The result is OK and actually looks really good unless you're an inch away from it. The problem is that it will scratch very easily. Has anyone had any luck applying Testors model master clear coat over acrylic clear? It's the type that comes in a glass jar. It says it's lacquer so I'm worried it could melt the plastic. I'll try it on some clear sprue to see what happens first.

New pic just taken to illustrate the canopy problem. This shot also shows the HUD projector. At least I think that's what it's meant to be - the HUD on the anime was all holographic. Still, there's a spot there that's in the position of traditional HUD projectors so that's what I'm going with :p

Anyway, as always the camera shows up the streaks and ugliness a lot more than just looking at with the naked eye. Plus, when the canopy is on, the dark background of the cockpit equipment really hides the tinting blemishes.

post-10360-1244514591_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker.

I have already decided to buy most/all the different valks. But there's some quick questions I'd like to ask.

If I bought the super Ozuma + alto armour. Am I able to have the two use each other's special parts? ie. build a armoured Ozuma + Super Alto? What will I have to do about the colours though?

If you can do the above, is it a good idea? ie. will there be problems when try to fit the parts.

The reason I ask is that I think Ozuma's armoured version looks the best while the armoured Alto comes with sniper rifle win.

If I bought the super Ozuma + alto armour. Am I able to have the two use each other's special parts? ie. build a armoured Ozuma + Super Alto? What will I have to do about the colours though?

Since the Armored Alto isn't out yet, we won't know for sure what parts have been changed to fit the original model. Colors will have to be repainted on your own.

Anyway, as always the camera shows up the streaks and ugliness a lot more than just looking at with the naked eye. Plus, when the canopy is on, the dark background of the cockpit equipment really hides the tinting blemishes.

mine is like that too.

when the canopy is assembled on the model though,

all the blemishes just disappear (i can hardly notice it in from my photos too).

anyway, i dont want to spend half of my life building and painting these kits lol

i just build what feels reasonably good and just enjoy the end product,

transforming them from time to time.

spending too much time to build one and then just leaving it in one mode in fear of ruining a good job,

is not the way i want to go...

New pic just taken to illustrate the canopy problem. This shot also shows the HUD projector. At least I think that's what it's meant to be - the HUD on the anime was all holographic. Still, there's a spot there that's in the position of traditional HUD projectors so that's what I'm going with :p

post-10360-1244514591_thumb.jpg

What are you using for purple coloring? I like the shade that some of you guys are getting.

Since the Armored Alto isn't out yet, we won't know for sure what parts have been changed to fit the original model. Colors will have to be repainted on your own.

Thanks for that. I guess I'll just have to wait.

About painting. What's the best way to go about it? From what I've read, airbrush gives the best result? How bout spray can vs a brush with wet paint?

What are you using for purple coloring? I like the shade that some of you guys are getting.

I'm using what a few others have already done - water based drawing ink, mixed with acrylic floor wax.

Mid June release... Someone post something when its actually out. I have a friend swinging by Japan who might grab it for me :D

I noticed in the HobbySearch pictures that there were no Cathy Glass decals T_T Maybe the suppliers will throw it in the box afterwards.

Also on the last 3 pictures, the Assembly guide has some parts crossed out. Are those parts basically unnecessary and to be removed if equipping the armored packs? o_o

Edited by Cent

Also on the last 3 pictures, the Assembly guide has some parts crossed out. Are those parts basically unnecessary and to be removed if equipping the armored packs? o_o

They're unnecessary to build the kit with. However, if you were going to make alterations to the kit, those parts may be necessary.

Incredible, the kit comes with everything. The VF-25S itself, the armored packs, and the SMS stand. Not bad at all.

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/BAN158765.aspx

Since I won't be getting right away, I'm letting you guys get the dibs. HWJapan has the Armored VF-25S for 6500 yen.

Edited by shiroikaze