Mobile Suit Gundam 30th Anniversary

One of the most popular mecha series of all time turns 30 next month; I believe April 7th, 1979 was the original air date for Gundam in Japan.

To start off the celebration, a life sized Gundam is being built in Japan! I wonder what other good stuff will be going on?

I guess it's time to go through my TV series DVD's (the US release that was missing an episode and was English only) and my Gundam movies (either my old VHS set or the DVD's with the redone audio). I may have to re-fly my Gundam rocket sometime this spring or summer. :)

post-342-1236867356_thumb.jpg

post-342-1236867374_thumb.jpg

One of the most popular mecha series of all time turns 30 next month; I believe April 7th, 1979 was the original air date for Gundam in Japan.

To start off the celebration, a life sized Gundam is being built in Japan! I wonder what other good stuff will be going on?

I guess it's time to go through my TV series DVD's (the US release that was missing an episode and was English only) and my Gundam movies (either my old VHS set or the DVD's with the redone audio). I may have to re-fly my Gundam rocket sometime this spring or summer. :)

The 1/1 Gundam they're building sounds cool, but it's a shame they're only leaving it up for two months.

Hard to belive that Mobile Suit Gundam will turning 30 years old, Its been awhile since I've seen any of the more recent series, but 0083 Stardust memories is my Favorite, as well as 0080 & F-91. A few others too!!

And the fact they are making a 1:1 scale Mobile suit for the Celebration, even more impressive!! On a side note, When Macross turns 30 y/o we better get a 1/1 Valkyrie too!!! B))

And the fact they are making a 1:1 scale Mobile suit for the Celebration, even more impressive!! On a side note, When Macross turns 30 y/o we better get a 1/1 Valkyrie too!!! B))

I prefer 1:1 SDF-1...

:huh:

Anyway, is it true that the 30th Anniversary Gundam will be a manga and not a TV series?

I saw a picture of a 1/2 scale (I think) Zeta Gundam once. It was made out of plywood and didn't move, though.

I think the ultimate way to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Gundam would be to redo the original series as an OVA, or redo the three movies. Use the same voice actors as much as possible, keep the story the same, just reanimate it so that it doesn't look like crap. The story is friggin' amazing, but the super-vintage art turns off a lot of fans.

If they're making a 1/1 Gundam, it better have real machine guns in its face and a rifle that really goes pew pew.

I just found the clip of the lying-down 1/1 gundam at a theme park. Holy crap, that looks cool. Reminds me of the beginning of Char's Counterattack where they have the Nu Gundam lying down on the factory floor with half the armor missing and its face covered in shrink-wrap.

Edited by MDP310

*sigh*

I inititally planned three Mega Gundam Torrents to be uploaded in April, May, and June (to go along with the Mega Macross Torrent for February and the 35th Anniversary Yamato torrent for October), but the Macross Translation Project has kind of nixed that idea.

I'm not really very excited about a new UC series (unless it's an animated version of GaiaGear, and they'll never do that), but I do hope that someone finally finishes a scanlation of Crossbone Gundam sometime this year...

Anyway, I think the 30th Anniversary will most likely pass me by, but I'll try to sit down and watch everything again for the 35th (since I'll most likely be sick of Macross at that point... :p )

I bet for the 40th or 50th anniversary, someone's going to try to have an actual working Gundam by then. :p But one has to wonder how far out will Gundam, especially the original story, will remain in popularity in the decades ahead?

There must be something in Article 9 prohibiting the construction of giant 1:1 scale war machine replicas :p ... lol jk They should brand it like the model kits. Now we have High Grade > Master Grade > Perfect Grade > and "Actual Grade"

I think even for 40th and 50th anniversary there will still be ample interest in Gundam (and feel the same way about Macross). Gundam is essentially the "Star Trek" of Japan, and even at 40 years Trek is still a fairly recognizable brand. Assuming we all survive the 2012 cataclysm... <_<

Hard to believe its been 30 years. My introduction to the franchise was in summer 1981 through the toys and the coloring books. Since then I've always love it.

Lucky!

I didn't get into it until 1986, by friends who had a bunch of Nth generation tapes of Zeta Gundam. I got into Zeta (and Double Zeta, kind of), but I always wanted to find out more about the original series. I didn't end up finally seeing it until 1999...

Lucky!

I didn't get into it until 1986, by friends who had a bunch of Nth generation tapes of Zeta Gundam. I got into Zeta (and Double Zeta, kind of), but I always wanted to find out more about the original series. I didn't end up finally seeing it until 1999...

You guys are luckier than me. I only knows Gundam when I'm about 14 (which is 2003), from Internet and magazines. I only see the shows about 2 years later, when the TV station shows Gundam Seed.

Good. Bandai's milked the Gundam franchise dry years ago. The last thing we need is another Gundam series with a repetitive storyline and uninteresting characters.

Yeah, it's a good thing Macross didn't reuse love triangles, idol singers, giant transforming ships and fighters over and over again. -_-

I first got into Gundam from reading magazine articles, mecha-themed RPGs and seeing model kits in my nearest comics shop, but it was years before I actually got to see any. That meant my "internal" idea of Gundam was a bit different to the reality. I mean, Char - who knew he was such a b*****d, eh? :)

I first got into Gundam from reading magazine articles, mecha-themed RPGs and seeing model kits in my nearest comics shop, but it was years before I actually got to see any. That meant my "internal" idea of Gundam was a bit different to the reality. I mean, Char - who knew he was such a b*****d, eh? :)

That's the beauty of Gundam, to you Char is a bastard, to me, he was entirely in the right. I think that in that respect, Gundam deserves praise because it's the only story in any medium that I've seen that actually makes you truly see both sides of the conflict, and even at the end of Counterattack, I was glad it ended the way it did, because I kept finding myself going back and forth pulling for Char and Amuro.

I don't think Gundam really re-uses storylines...especially 00. Seed was admitted to be a reboot of UC, although loosely based. I for one loved Seed, and while Destiny was kind of weak, it was still good IMO. The only Gundam series I can say I didn't enjoy was G Gundam (other than G-saviour), but even then, the Mobile suit designs were great. Even Wing had a lot of strong points.

For the 30th anniversary, I'd love a dub of ZZ, X, and Turn A. As for a new UC series, I'd rather see something that takes place immediately after CCA, or a Sentinel series, but it's ok. I really don't care what, I just like to see Gundam still going strong, and I really wish they'd find a way to bring it back to the states the way it was here for Wing and somewhat for Seed. I mean, I used to buy Wing 1/100's and 1/144's at Walmart! Now, I have to order them and wait...

For the 30th anniversary, I'd love a dub of ZZ, X, and Turn A. As for a new UC series, I'd rather see something that takes place immediately after CCA, or a Sentinel series, but it's ok. I really don't care what, I just like to see Gundam still going strong, and I really wish they'd find a way to bring it back to the states the way it was here for Wing and somewhat for Seed. I mean, I used to buy Wing 1/100's and 1/144's at Walmart! Now, I have to order them and wait...

For the 30th anniversary, I hope Bandai will release 1/100 MG Guntank, The-O and Zock.

But it's the 30th anniversary of the original series, another re-version of the original kits should be more in line with what they have done in the past .... didn't they make coated versions for the 25th?? :blink:

You're probably right, but we've already had coated versions, clear versions...what else can they do? Special RX-78-2 Sheryl and Ranka decals...?

You're probably right, but we've already had coated versions, clear versions...what else can they do? Special RX-78-2 Sheryl and Ranka decals...?

You mean Mirai, Sayla and Lalah decals right ^_^

I'm kinda disappointed that they released it as a PS3 game, not everyone own them you know.

No, I mean Sheryl and Ranka. They would go well with my Char Type VF-19.

(It's for Char! Not Basara! CHAR! That's why it's red, right? Right...?)

Hmm, probably would be better with Mylene, Ranka and mini Klan decals to got with your Red Comet valk :lol:

Wow, I just realized that I'm a Gundam (same anniversary, I'll be 30 at April) :lol:

Hmm, probably would be better with Mylene, Ranka and mini Klan decals to got with your Red Comet valk :lol:

That'd be cool. I also want Sound Boosters so that Char can bark orders three times louder than a normal VF-19.

Wow, I just realized that I'm a Gundam (same anniversary, I'll be 30 at April) :lol:

Someone needs to come up with a mecha version of the Chinese zodiac...

"You're a Gundam (1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003). You are often reluctant upon starting a project, yet master the necessary skills in fifteen minutes or less. Quick to anger, you sometimes wander off to sulk, but come back when needed by your comrades. You have a aversion to authority figures who slap you around, unless they're hot, red-haired babes. Your best match is with the Dragonar. Avoid the Ideon."

Does anybody know the exact death toll of characters killed in the franchise up to now?

I think that's rather difficult...there's that whole "half the human population gets wiped out before the first series even starts" factor to contend with.

Mark Simmons might have a ballpark figure, though.

Plus, we never really find out if Yazan died or not.