Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Vol. 1

sketchley

Is it just me or are the rectangular engine exhausts retractable (the ones in the feet/nozzles)? The art in the book definitely looks like it. I don't have the technical Japanese language skills to read those sorts of parts yet.

They're not retractable.

From Pg 079:

"VF-1 Thermonuclear Turbine Engine

FF-2001 Thermonuclear Turbine Engine

(L) Engine Nozzle (normal)

® Engine Nozzle (when equipped with GERWALK flow controller)"

From what I understand, it's optional equipment.

You got the beam cannons, rockets, and 10 AAM-1s all integrated into the plane without sacrificing atmospheric capability -or- using up any hardpoints.

Rockets? Shouldn't that be "12 semi-conformal medium range missiles"?

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35718#msg35718 (scroll down to VF-4)

In that thinking too, having them seperate would allow them to be used in conjunction.

Hmm... it's possible, as there's nothing that says that they can't (other than the physics of hypersonic air entering a turbine engine, but that wasn't your point. ;) )

Anyhow, more recent info on the VF-4:

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35166#msg35166 (pretty much all of it is indirectly or directly related to the VF-4)

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35717#msg35717 (scroll down to VF-4)

Y'know, if they hadn't ascribed velocities in excess of Mach 7.2 to it and just stuck to the old Mach 3.87 figure I could've totally seen it as being not only practical, but possibly canon. Instead, it just blows the old high-altitude figure out of the water entirely, which leaves me shaking my head.

My head, too. I think the writers were just trying to create some stats around how the VF-1 could get to low Earth orbit on it's own in the first couple of episodes of SDFM.

Now, if we go with the workaround that I came up with: the VF-1 expends all of it's fuel getting to low orbit, especially because it converts the engines to "rocket" mode, and leave the max speeds for sustained operations at altitude, it probably makes a bit more sense.

As for the rocket engines, I think Talos said it best in my chat with him when he said the VF-4 (a nominally space-specialized VF) is essentially a VF-1 Strike Valkyrie with all the external hardware built into the airframe instead.

Which essentially is what the latest information available in Great Mechanics.DX and Macross Chronicle supports. Even to the point of the VF-4 being a space optimized fighter. LOL

They're not retractable.

From Pg 079:

"VF-1 Thermonuclear Turbine Engine

FF-2001 Thermonuclear Turbine Engine

(L) Engine Nozzle (normal)

® Engine Nozzle (when equipped with GERWALK flow controller)"

From what I understand, it's optional equipment.

Rockets? Shouldn't that be "12 semi-conformal medium range missiles"?

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35718#msg35718 (scroll down to VF-4)

Hmm... it's possible, as there's nothing that says that they can't (other than the physics of hypersonic air entering a turbine engine, but that wasn't your point. ;) )

Anyhow, more recent info on the VF-4:

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35166#msg35166 (pretty much all of it is indirectly or directly related to the VF-4)

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35717#msg35717 (scroll down to VF-4)

RE: The nozzles. Thanks! That's interesting. Looking at the rear lineart of the plane, it was clear the regular circular nozzle existed beneath the "flow controller" one, which brought up the question.

By "Rockets" with the VF-4, I meant the rocket booster engines mounted above the nuclear turbine engines. :lol: I had the missiles listed seperately.

With the turbines, there can be only one answer to that one! Overtechnology! (Besides, I figured they would just shut the intakes when using the ramjets or beyond a certain speed, like the covers on the VF-1)

By "Rockets" with the VF-4, I meant the rocket booster engines mounted above the nuclear turbine engines. :lol: I had the missiles listed seperately.

Ah, rocket engines. Ok.

Re: the turbines: wouldn't closing the intakes effectively turn them into rocket engines? Nevertheless, it's all beside the point.

My head, too. I think the writers were just trying to create some stats around how the VF-1 could get to low Earth orbit on it's own in the first couple of episodes of SDFM.

Eh, I think going balls-out with the main engines could PROBABLY do the job slowly though it would burn most if not all of the VF-1's fuel, which is essentially what we see in the series. I think they were trying to come up with a more elegant, less "brute force" way for it to be done. If the clear implication weren't that it'd had that system all along, I'd have no trouble accepting it under the auspices of an evolutionary upgrade (ala VF-1X). If memory serves, the VF-4 also has the ability to get into orbit under its own power, though the process burns almost the entire onboard fuel supply.

Now, if we go with the workaround that I came up with: the VF-1 expends all of it's fuel getting to low orbit, especially because it converts the engines to "rocket" mode, and leave the max speeds for sustained operations at altitude, it probably makes a bit more sense.

More or less my assessment as well...

Apparently the next volume of the Variable Master File will be released in January 29th... and now it's for the VF-19

Search for this in Amazon Japan: ヴァリアブルファイター・マスターファイル VF-19エクスカリバー (大型本)

Yeah, HMV.co.jp's English side has had the VF-19 Master File up for preorder for a while now.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay just got my copy yesterday and love it (even not being able to read it). But I have a question, on pages 16 and 120 the pics of the FRS.1 Block 5 Ark Royal VF-1A - On the nacelles in between the 'U.N. SPACY' and 'SVF-9' markings there looks to be a blister or fairing that I have not seen before, anything on what they are?

Finally got it. Good stuff, but it does seem a bit more like fanon rather than something official. The comparison shot of the VF-1, VF-0, and F-14 definitely makes the VF-0 look anachronistic (the general curvy nature, but most especially the YF-19 "gem" style FLIR sensors.

Wonder if they're going to try to cram all the VF-19 variants in there, given some of the huge differences particularly between YF-19/VF-19A and VF-19F/S, much less the Kai.

Dunno if this is common knowledge yet, but the VF-19 book has been delayed until March. <_<

Yeah, noticed that about a week ago on Amazon jp when I was checking my order status.

Not surprised, as the first book got delayed be several months as well.

Graham

Given the relative paucity of technical and background information on the YF/VF-19 series, compared to say the VF-1, I'm extremely curious as to how they are going to fill this volume.

Existing information on the various versions of the 19 only fills a few pages at most and it's not like they have any older fan-made books like the Sky Angels books to draw on either for material.

I guess, the book will be heavily padded with line art and CG pics and likely not have too much in the way of text.

Graham

• 1 month later...
Yeah, noticed that about a week ago on Amazon jp when I was checking my order status.

Not surprised, as the first book got delayed be several months as well.

Graham

Moved to April 30th now according to Amazon ... unless it's an April Fool's joke :wacko:

Moved to April 30th now according to Amazon ... unless it's an April Fool's joke :wacko:

I got an email from Amazon.co.jp about that a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing it's not a 1 April joke. Still have my copy on pre-order.

• 4 weeks later...
Damn you people... now I had to go and get this on evilbay. :lol: What was the going rate for these in US stores? Curious if I got burned or not. :ph34r:

http://store.animebooks.com/vafimafivfva.html

http://www.hlj.com/product/SOF35182

Please post if anyone sees a more english friendly link (ie: HLJ or Amazon.jp) that is carrying the pre-order for the new VF-19 book?

http://www.hlj.com/product/SOF35693

This isn't surprising, especially given that "Kazutaka Miyatake Design Works" was delayed something like a year. Or two.

I really hope it isn't delayed that long, I've had it on pre-order with Amazon since January. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely.

And even if not, they can probably order it from the Los Angeles store, where they had several copies as of last Saturday.

cool man, what section would i find it in? i guessing the anime/magna? i ask this because i always feel lost in japanese bookstores