Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

ooh...love that meltran ASS (pardon the pun).

did anyone make that into a toy or model? where can i find more images of it?

IIRC, none of the DYRL Meltran ships were ever made into models, toys, or anything else. According to the Gold Book, the ASS-1 was never animated, but was included as a reference to what it originally looked like prior to being rebuilt. Now MY question is...if this is a class of Meltran ship, where are others like it? Modern Meltran ships are covered quite in depth, but its suggested that the Meltran Destroyer might be an older model of ship class...and subsequently is not included in the ships of the line that appear in DYRL. Considering that Zentran/Meltran ships are in service for literally hundreds of thousands of years (Bodolzer states that he, as a ship, has been in service for over 150,000 cycles), new ship classes obviously aren't introduced at any kind of rapid pace by the satellite factories or factory planets. This may suggest that the SDF-1 is rebuilt from a ship that was in service back when the Protoculture were at the height of their galactic empire.

The only resource I know of that actually shows the ASS-1 is what is now called the "Gold Book." This is a hardcover Perfect Memory book that was released back in the summer of 1984 when DYRL was released in theaters. It's been out of print for about 20 years and those that you can find on eBay will run you anywhere from $200 to $500, depending on what condition its in. I got mine from a comic shop back in the late 80s for $100, and have kept it in relatively good condition since then. The pic of the ASS-1 I used here on the forums is courtesy of the Macross Mecha Manual fansite.

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

The only resource I know of that actually shows the ASS-1 is what is now called the "Gold Book." This is a hardcover Perfect Memory book that was released back in the summer of 1984 when DYRL was released in theaters. It's been out of print for about 20 years and those that you can find on eBay will run you anywhere from $200 to $500, depending on what condition its in. I got mine from a comic shop back in the late 80s for $100, and have kept it in relatively good condition since then. The pic of the ASS-1 I used here on the forums is courtesy of the Macross Mecha Manual fansite.

It's a damn nice book. I treasure mine too.

To cover some of what you said earlier, I don't know that we're bashing the DYRL version, collectively more people seem very psyched about it BEING the DYRL version - there are only a relative few of us holdouts for the original. I don't love the DYRL version but don't hate it either, hate's too strong a word. Dislike, maybe.

And as for hating the more military look - it's the comparative LACK of a military look that has me feeling that way. TV version is much less fussy and more military as far as I'm concerned. I forgive the animation for not being movie-budget. I can deal with the primary colours, because I know what the colours were supposed to be "in real life". I like the fact that it has more big gun turrets. I like the fact that it looks like a warship, rather than a giant robot.

I can deal with the transformation stuff in Macross, but I don't love it. It's the planes, not the battroids. Between battroids and destroids, destroids win. Between storm attacker and cruiser fortress, cruiser fortress every time. So that's where I'm coming from.

Not trying to go too far off topic here, as this does sort of involve the SDF-1 and others have raised the issue, For those of you who don't have the Macross Gold Book. Here are the 2 only known images of the ASS-1 or the Macross after being rebuilt.

As for the Yamato 1/2000 SDF-1, after the WAVE version came out, everyone said for the most part, we need a bigger SDF-1. Talk about "careful what you wish for", Yamato heard you and said, heres a big Frakin SDF-1. If this one should sell good which I think it will, a 1/2000 TV SDF-1 is sure to follow.

post-6180-1236571142_thumb.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne

it's very odd that we've never seen the meltran gun destroyer version of the ASS-1 or another ship of it's class, considering we've seen several meltran fleets before.

I mean we've seen 2 different SA versions (admitedly both being damaged) of the class and we haven't any SA forces ever.

I was going to point out something earlier that 505th's scan clearly shows...

Originally, the ASS-1 Meltran Destroyer measured 1500 meters in length. After being rebuilt and rechristened SDF-1, it measured 1200 meters. Somewhere along the way, 300m either got sheered off in the crash or was refitted into a smaller ship. Go figure...

I was going to point out something earlier that 505th's scan clearly shows...

Originally, the ASS-1 Meltran Destroyer measured 1500 meters in length. After being rebuilt and rechristened SDF-1, it measured 1200 meters. Somewhere along the way, 300m either got sheered off in the crash or was refitted into a smaller ship. Go figure...

And yet, if you look at the comparsion line arts a few posts back, you'll notice that the bridge is significantly larger on the Meltran version, which means the SDF-1 is a LOT bigger :huh:

OR...

It COULD be a simple case of a second, completely new bridge tower was placed atop the ship...based on schematics culled from the destroyer's computer systems. It resembles the original in overall shape, but just rescaled slightly smaller for human (miclone) use. I just find it strange that this ship was nearly as big as a Megaroad Class before it was rebuilt. Of course, the reality of the whole argument could be that the Gold Book simply has a misprint...lol

A post above someone said hate is to strong of a word for some of the DYRL design changes, as I had mentioned I hated the splayed legs and gaps.. I agree, too strong.. so let me take it down a notch.. the DYRL changes just are not as pleasing to my eye vs the TV version.

This thread has made me think, I believe the changes were made mostly to cater to the overall look of the SDF-1 in Attacker mode.

The DYRL attacker mode looks far better than the TV version, ill give it that. And since DYRL we have only seen the SDF-1 in cruiser mode.. for all of about 2 minutes. Every other appearance going forward it has been transformed into attacker mode which showcases the updated design that looks better.

Sadly I doubt we will see cruiser mode ever again on screen. With that said, I want to point out I am definitely getting this toy, she will just be attacker mode and hopefully my purchase will add a +1 to the hope of getting a tv version down the line to display in cruiser mode.

Edited by Mechinyun

I only have one thing to say to Yamato at this point. If Yamato is going/planing to release a 1/2000 TV version Macross.

Please let us know before this DYRL version is being released.

I believe many of us can only afford ONE expensive Macross toy (whatever the version we perfer)! :mellow:

At this point.... After much consideration... I am wanting a WAVE sized TV SDF-1 to put in battleship mode next to my matchbox Robot mode (whatever it is called mode) SDF-1. Oh well.

EDIT: at half the price of the WAVE version....

Edited by miriya

A post above someone said hate is to strong of a word for some of the DYRL design changes, as I had mentioned I hated the splayed legs and gaps.. I agree, too strong.. so let me take it down a notch.. the DYRL changes just are not as pleasing to my eye vs the TV version.

This thread has made me think, I believe the changes were made mostly to cater to the overall look of the SDF-1 in Attacker mode.

The DYRL attacker mode looks far better than the TV version, ill give it that. And since DYRL we have only seen the SDF-1 in cruiser mode.. for all of about 2 minutes. Every other appearance going forward it has been transformed into attacker mode which showcases the updated design that looks better.

Sadly I doubt we will see cruiser mode ever again on screen. With that said, I want to point out I am definitely getting this toy, she will just be attacker mode and hopefully my purchase will add a +1 to the hope of getting a tv version down the line to display in cruiser mode.

Wow, I'll agree to that. The DYRL Attacker is better than the TV Attacker (not saying much as I think both suck!) :lol:

At this point.... After much consideration... I am wanting a WAVE sized TV SDF-1 to put in battleship mode next to my matchbox Robot mode (whatever it is called mode) SDF-1. Oh well.

EDIT: at half the price of the WAVE version....

Well, just buy the plastic kit! There has been a 1/5000 TV Cruiser kit forever...

hopefully when this comes out i should have moved to a bigger place/room. Already got the approval from the fiancee that i can have a room to put all the Mac stuff and other toys in =) I'll have someone paint the room with a space back drop and have this sucka in the middle with other things hovering over it.. bhwuwuwhahahaha 051_.gif

hopefully when this comes out i should have moved to a bigger place/room. Already got the approval from the fiancee that i can have a room to put all the Mac stuff and other toys in =) I'll have someone paint the room with a space back drop and have this sucka in the middle with other things hovering over it.. bhwuwuwhahahaha 051_.gif

Just paint the room black and get one of those planetarium projectors :)

I found one from a HK seller for $130 + shipping! For that much I would just buy another matchbox.

i've seen it go for far less. just put it on your search faves.

love the stuff on that store, but a good chunk is way above market price. everytime i'm about to buy something there, a much cheaper alternative pops up.

I found one from a HK seller for $130 + shipping! For that much I would just buy another matchbox.

Be patient and look around, I got both my Storm Attacker mode and a Cruiser Model for around $25.00 each + shipping off of Ebay last year. One is by Imai and the of from Revell. Good kits and fun to customize!!!

So next best thing for now until Yamato lets us know "If ever" they decide to make a TV series version.

Yerkiddin!!!!?

Sweet. I wonder what my collection of unbuilt Imais is worth overall now? :D

Gonna build them all though...some day...

Wow... I haven't check the site for the past couple of weeks, then this. Please don't come anytime soon take your time, I need to save up some more money. I thought I already did. :( One of toys I've always wanted is the SDF-1, and it's coming. I'm not going to miss on this.

Yamato wait at least at the end of this year, where hopefully the economy goes up along with mine. :D

Edited by Hikaru VF-1S

Yamato wait at least at the end of this year, where hopefully the economy goes up along with mine. :D

Don't worry. Yamato isn't planning to drop this monster (not to be confused with the Monster Mk II) until around this time next year. So clear your schedule and bank account for Q1 of 2010. There hasn't been any new information pertaining to the MSRP---last rumor was 50,000 Yen. The good news is that, as of 3:30pm EST today (March 11, 2009), the currency exhange between the US Dollar and the Japanese Yen is 1 USD = 97.3826 JPY. This has lowered the price to $513.44...down from $535 the week Yamato announced the SDF-1's release. The bad news is that its STILL over $500! lol

Well now that we've seen the few pictures of the SDF-1 in cruiser mode, I wonder when Yamato will show us some prototype pictures of it in Attack mode, When I see it that mode I'll be even more convinced to save up for it!!

Don't worry. Yamato isn't planning to drop this monster (not to be confused with the Monster Mk II) until around this time next year. So clear your schedule and bank account for Q1 of 2010. There hasn't been any new information pertaining to the MSRP---last rumor was 50,000 Yen. The good news is that, as of 3:30pm EST today (March 11, 2009), the currency exhange between the US Dollar and the Japanese Yen is 1 USD = 97.3826 JPY. This has lowered the price to $513.44...down from $535 the week Yamato announced the SDF-1's release. The bad news is that its STILL over $500! lol

Just in time for the year end bonus :D Just kidding....

I can totally see myself ordering this when the exchange rate goes to like 300 yen to a Dollar! Other wise, meh! I will stick with my Matchbox version. It does a totally cool daedelus (?) attack pose!

For those mathmaticaly challenged that would be 50,000 yen divided by 300 = $166.67.

I can totally see myself ordering this when the exchange rate goes to like 300 yen to a Dollar! Other wise, meh! I will stick with my Matchbox version. It does a totally cool daedelus (?) attack pose!

For those mathmaticaly challenged that would be 50,000 yen divided by 300 = $166.67.

Awe shucks. T'anks I dun know w'at we'd do w'it out yuz. Iz you some sort of math magician presto chango guy numb'rs wizard? Dang you the smarts. :p

Seriously though, I don't see why people are against the price of this. I would whole-heartedly say it is justifiable since this is about two feet tall. Plus the fact that it's the SDF-1.

'Nuff said. ;)

Seriously though, I don't see why people are against the price of this. I would whole-heartedly say it is justifiable since this is about two feet tall. Plus the fact that it's the SDF-1.

'Nuff said. ;)

Some of us are still in "sticker shock" over the price...that's all. For me, personally, its because I see other items around the same price range at work that are WAY bigger...a 24-volt battery-powered Fisher Price Power Wheels vehicle, for example. These things seat kids up to 7 years of age and have a top speed of 5 mph. The new Hasbro "Big Millenium Falcon" is 2 1/2 feet long, but is only in the $150 range. Of course, I realize that Fisher Price and Hasbro manufacture products in much larger volume than Yamato ever would...but still, its difficult to justify to your wife/girlfriend that you're throwing the equivalent of a mortgage payment and car payment put together at what amounts to nothing but an oversized "transformer". :wacko:

Macross collecting: For Singles Only :lol: