DYRL- Blu Ray format

YJK

Does anyone know of Macross: DYRL is available in Blu Ray format yet? If not, are there plans to release it soon? If there's any anime that would look amazing on Blu Ray, it's DYRL, and I think it would be well worth the price to import it from Japan.

Hopefully not for a couple years, we need to wait until BV pops for some kind of grain reduction technology, and a proper audio remastering. The latest remaster seemed intentionally designed to bring out all of the films flaws.

I find it pretty puzzling that with the success of Frontier BD, they haven't even announced DYRL. This is their most popular Macross related film, and yet all we've gotten in the last couple years is a remasteres DVD.

It's like they know I want it so bad they're deliberately not releasing it just to fart with me :(

Maybe they want to get their stock down on the HD remaster before they put out the blu ray

This is the most likely reason. The HD remaster is barely a year old.

Also, if Bandai Visual were to release DYRL on BD tomorrow, it would just be shovelware. The biggest complaint with the HD release was the film grain, if BV intends to artificially remove it for BD, then it's going to take a while.

I find it pretty puzzling that with the success of Frontier BD, they haven't even announced DYRL. This is their most popular Macross related film, and yet all we've gotten in the last couple years is a remasteres DVD.

It's like they know I want it so bad they're deliberately not releasing it just to fart with me sad.gif

I'm not surprised at all, sure the color was enhanced and the footage was brighter, but the film grain was awful and you can practically see the individual cells popping out of eachother.

When they can fix the grains and be able to mesh all the layers of animation together nicely, then it'll be worth the Blu-ray.....course useless to those who don't have a player that's all region.

BD will not "hide" grain. That is a process that the film stock has to go through.

Essentially they'll have to scan every frame at full resolution, digitally fix all the flaws (typically frame by frame) and then remaster THAT for Bluray. That is what Lucas and Speilberg did for the Indiana Jones movie restorations and it cost them a million and a year to do it, several years ago (the fact that those movies haven't come out on BD yet indicates to me more work is probably required).

It will cost BW a lot to do it, but if they are smart they'll commission a sub and dub to be included with the movie and they'll recover their money through export sales in no time. They should also get a North American restoration house to do it. Experience will cost them less and the results will be far superior to anything an inexperienced Japanese company could do (hence the last release of DYRL on DVD!).

Ah... but you guys are forgetting one think: the DVD release of DYRL did NOT sell spectacularly well. And that was only a few years ago. It's not worth the time and money to restore it and release it on BD.

Of course, in another couple of years it might be different.

Ah... but you guys are forgetting one think: the DVD release of DYRL did NOT sell spectacularly well. And that was only a few years ago. It's not worth the time and money to restore it and release it on BD.

Of course, in another couple of years it might be different.

What TheLoneWolf said. I'm very interested in the sales-numbers, too, so please provide the link.

I know it's very difficult to get the box-edition of DYRL-remastered anymore (unless second-hand), while in contrast, the TV-remastered boxset is still available and rather heavily-discounted at both AmazonJapan and CDJapan, 29% and 30% off respectively.

That's very interesting. Is that based on your own personal observations or are you referring to a Japanese sales chart? If the latter, could you post a link or tell me where to find it? I love seeing how anime sales perform in Japan as opposed to the US. :)

Personal observation.

Those discs hung around for years in the new releases sections... unlike the Macross Zero or even the Macross 7 releases.

Even in used shops, it was rare to see Macross 7 discs, let alone Plus, or even SDF:M. Zero was a regular for a time, but as more time has passed since the initial release, the less they appear. But... there's always old faithful, DYRL.

I'm not saying it's a bad movie or anything*., just that it is seriously dated. Even 7 is getting long in the tooth.

I do hope that my pessimism is proved wrong...

* It's like Akira - hard to understand unless if you've read the manga (or have seen SDF:M).

It will cost BW a lot to do it, but if they are smart they'll commission a sub and dub to be included with the movie and they'll recover their money through export sales in no time. They should also get a North American restoration house to do it. Experience will cost them less and the results will be far superior to anything an inexperienced Japanese company could do (hence the last release of DYRL on DVD!).

Since BW doesn't care about fans outside of Japan, I doubt they'd do anything. They won't spend alot of money properly restoring DYRL? They don't have to. It would probably just be shovelware if they did release it. "Macross otaku will buy anything" is their thought process. <_<

I dunno if I'd buy yet another copy of DYRL?...Old anime on Blu-ray has yet to wow me. The current DVD of DYRL? is a little over a year old, we probably won't see a Blu-ray for awhile or maybe never.

Those discs hung around for years in the new releases sections... unlike the Macross Zero or even the Macross 7 releases.

That may have more to do with the length of the production runs, though. We would have to do a bit more research to determine this.

Which disc are we talking about?

(Gah! Disc nor case doesn't have release date >.<)

The "Perfect Edition" release.

If it's any release other than that, I have not, repeat, have not seen it in stores. I also only spotted one half of the Macross 7 remaster release all of one time. Short runs? Stores not stocking Macross pre-Macross F?

(Gah! Disc nor case doesn't have release date >.<)

The "Perfect Edition" release.

Yeah, I also noticed that the Perfect Edition DVD doesn't list its own release date. Oddly enough, the "HD" DVD doesn't list its own release date either. But according to the Compendium:

The Perfect Edition DVD with the LD-style packaging was released in 1998.

The standard Perfect Edition DVD was released in 1999.

Wow. I just realized that those discs were floating around in the "new" sections for 7 or 8 years! Which is mind-boggling, as most new DVD releases don't last longer than 6 months on the shelves here...

I wouldn't be surprised if the "HD Remaster" DVD sat on the shelves for months on end. First of all, the end product was crap. Secondly and probably more importantly, all the fans out there already had the 1999 Perfect Edition release which was just fine as it was. Only the hardest of the hardcore Macross fans were foolish enough to double dip (like me).

A new and better remastered Blu-ray release will no doubt sell a few copies (though nowhere near as well as the 1999 DVD release). The big question is whether the current masters used by the authoring studios are up to task. I think the last HD remaster release showed not only a problem with the authoring but also the limitations of the currently used master tapes. The general law with DVD authoring - you throw crap in, you get crap out. The answer to a nice 1080p Blu-ray release is probably not digital restoration (as that often brings forth it's own set of problems) but rather going to Big West and asking for the film negatives or something so that a brand new master could be made and used at the DVD/Blu-ray authoring studios.

Ofcourse that will no doubt also mean paying Big West big money which DVD/Blu-ray releasing companies like Geneon and Bandai Visual would be reluctant to do in this poor economy.

Edited by Vifam7

Ofcourse that will no doubt also mean paying Big West big money which DVD/Blu-ray releasing companies like Geneon and Bandai Visual would be reluctant to do in this poor economy.

Bandai Visual has been the home video partner to BigWest forever so I doubt licensing costs are really an issue with them. However, it does come down to demand.

To garner the same sales as the Perfect Edition, they'd have to remaster from original film prints for a Bluray release. Adding a sub and dub track would also be helpful to boost international sales. So at this point who knows.

Frontier is the golden child at the moment and will be getting all the attention for at least the next year...

Bandai Visual has been the home video partner to BigWest forever so I doubt licensing costs are really an issue with them. However, it does come down to demand.

To garner the same sales as the Perfect Edition, they'd have to remaster from original film prints for a Bluray release. Adding a sub and dub track would also be helpful to boost international sales. So at this point who knows.

Frontier is the golden child at the moment and will be getting all the attention for at least the next year...

Yup. Frontier is the new golden goose for Bandai. So I guess DYRL will be way way down in the BD release schedule list, if it's on it at all. I owned the original LD version. And never bought the DVD re-releases (for any anime titles, actually. Spent too much on my anime LDs already...)

Hopefully, if it's released on BD, it's done right. :mellow:

Bandai Visual has been the home video partner to BigWest forever so I doubt licensing costs are really an issue with them.

Not every Macross video release has been by Bandai Visual. My CLV laserdisc of DYRL was a release by Shogakukan Video. And I think the VHS releases of DYRL were by Victor IIRC. The first release of Flashback 2012 on DVD was by Movic. My Orguss DVD set is also a release by Movic. While it's not likely for DYRL to be released by someone other than Bandai Visual, it's also not impossible for another company to release it.

Perhaps it didn't sell well because they're waiting patiently for the BD, and didn't want to buy to some remastered dvd.

If only the perfect edition laser disc or DVD could be remastered to high definition, instead of the non-original theatrical print used as the basis of restoration. The perfect edition dyrl looks to be closer to how the original dyrl looks like. It's even possible that the laserdisc could have better picture quality than even the 1999 perfect edition DVD.

Some screenshot comparisons from the perfect edition laser disc and dvd and the HD dyrl dvd could show what specific video problems that could/not be fixed?

I looked around on the internet to get an idea how laser disc movie restoration could be done. The laser disc restoration process looks like a lot of work. For example, the star wars X0project, from originaltrilogy forums, has been working on getting the original star wars laser discs properly remastered since 2004.

Considering that it's unlikely DYRL will be properly remastered to BD in the near future, would anybody else have any thoughts on how to get a better HD remastered video than the LE dyrl boxset?

S-47 Berkut 's japanese subtitle removal project does have a couple of screenshots that look like quite an improvement over the original HD dyrl video. But, I don't how exactly he does it, only that it's quite a lot of work fixing a few frames manually.

If only the perfect edition laser disc or DVD could be remastered to high definition, instead of the non-original theatrical print used as the basis of restoration. The perfect edition dyrl looks to be closer to how the original dyrl looks like. It's even possible that the laserdisc could have better picture quality than even the 1999 perfect edition DVD.

It comes down to maximum resolution. An old LD or DVD has a maximum resolution of 720p (1080x720), whereas a BD needs 1080p (1920x1080). The only thing that can provide that kind of resolution is film stock which has a higher resolution than the newest HD cameras in use by film makers (although these are higher than BD anyway).

Some screenshot comparisons from the perfect edition laser disc and dvd and the HD dyrl dvd could show what specific video problems that could/not be fixed?

Considering that it's unlikely DYRL will be properly remastered to BD in the near future, would anybody else have any thoughts on how to get a better HD remastered video than the LE dyrl boxset?

S-47 Berkut 's japanese subtitle removal project does have a couple of screenshots that look like quite an improvement over the original HD dyrl video. But, I don't how exactly he does it, only that it's quite a lot of work fixing a few frames manually.

Restoration is generally done frame by frame. Granted, professional restoration houses now have tools that speed up the process.

It comes down to maximum resolution. An old LD or DVD has a maximum resolution of 720p (1080x720)

You may want cut that figure in half. An NTSC Laserdisc has a maximum resolution of 560×480. And the best video output Laserdiscs had was S-Video. Some of the later LD/DVD combo players had component outputs, but the component outputs could only be used by DVDs.

Anyways, there's no point in going through all the trouble of "ripping" a Laserdisc and then spending years remastering the video, when all you need to do is watch the Perfect Edition DVD upscaled on a PS3. The PS3 eliminates most of the interlacing problems and does a good job of enhancing the video, IMO.

When they can fix the grains and be able to mesh all the layers of animation together nicely, then it'll be worth the Blu-ray.....course useless to those who don't have a player that's all region.

Doesn't matter to those fans living in North, Central, and South America as we share the same region as Japan when it comes to blu-ray.

So, if the perfect edition DYRL DVD could have the interlacing issues fixed up a bit with some colour correction, it might look nicer than the HD dyrl?

I can imagine Xeros being asked to put together an english subtitle DVD patch package for the perfect edition dyrl.

It comes down to maximum resolution. An old LD or DVD has a maximum resolution of 720p (1080x720), whereas a BD needs 1080p (1920x1080).

The max resolution for DVD is 720*576 which is in PAL format and 720*480 in NTSC, 720p isn't supported.

1920*1080 is the max resolution for BD, but doesn't necessary have to be this resolution only.