DYRL- Blu Ray format

YJK

You may want cut that figure in half. An NTSC Laserdisc has a maximum resolution of 560×480. And the best video output Laserdiscs had was S-Video. Some of the later LD/DVD combo players had component outputs, but the component outputs could only be used by DVDs.

Actually, he probably DOES want to cut that in half, but... There ARE HD Laserdiscs.

They were branded Hi-Vision, and have 1035 visible lines(interlaced).

I suspect that they used true RGB outputs, since neither composite nor s-video is spec'ed for anything more than standard NTSC/PAL.

I don't THINK the DYRL LD was Hi-Vision, though.

MOST LaserDiscs only offer 480 lines of resolution.

Also, at least for standard Laserdiscs, the disk itself actually contained composite-encoded video.

Whether s-video was better or worse than composite depended ENTIRELY on whether the LD player or TV had a better comb filter circuit. So if your TV had a good comb filter, or your LD player had a bad one, you could actually see a WORSE image by using s-video instead of composite to connect the two.

Anyways, there's no point in going through all the trouble of "ripping" a Laserdisc and then spending years remastering the video, when all you need to do is watch the Perfect Edition DVD upscaled on a PS3. The PS3 eliminates most of the interlacing problems and does a good job of enhancing the video, IMO.

Upscaling will never be as good as a proper HD source.

Not that a standard laserdisc can provide that source, but...

And if the original masters are in bad shape, it may require an extensive remastering process to generate something worth putting on BluRay.

The original print is nearing the 25-year mark. I would say it's probably time they remastered it, especially for Blu-Ray. It's probably a matter of time, not will they. The Bandai catalog is as big as any Hollywood studio catalog so give them time. Maybe at the 30th anniversary.

The max resolution for DVD is 720*576 which is in PAL format and 720*480 in NTSC, 720p isn't supported.

1920*1080 is the max resolution for BD, but doesn't necessary have to be this resolution only.

My bad. Yes max resolution for DVD is indeed 480p.