Read only if you want a good lol: A uneducated Robotech fan watches Ma

Vostok 7

hello there. XD

although for some folks Robotech is an okay and acceptable Sci-fi story,

most if not ALL of us here believe Macross as a whole is a more humanely fleshed out and appealing sci-fi universe

unhindered by the strange mishmash of 3 remotely unrelated anime.

would you like to see Macross in its complete purity ? we have a thread dedicated entirely to that purpose:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=244

have fun!

drinkup.jpg

Edited by polidread

Welcome to this board ^_^

Now this thread deserve a yoshinol

post_2_87419_Yoshinol2.jpg

--point finger to Polidread post above---

Argh, a VF-25 girl with a carrot juice.... :wub:

Edited by Morpheus

Why hello there.

Hi! Happy that you decided to sign up :) Hope you enjoy your time. Use our search function if you'd like to find all of our discussions of each consecutive chapter of Macross: Frontier - right now there is a general series discussion pinned in the Movies and TV thread, but the individual episode discussions are far more interesting and fleshed out.

Happy to have you aboard :)

Pete

I'm glad to see we didn't scare you away! Welcome!

Oh, just wait...;)

*has visions of the inevitable outrage to come, the how-could-you accusations, the attempts to guilt people for having an opinion, the formation of the two camps stating either we-shouldn't-act-like-this or toughen-up-and-learn-to-cope, the moderators crying how these threads always go bad, the pessimists telling you it's going bad (lol), the lone member actually trying to have a real conversation with the new guy, the BIG reveal how it was all planned or a scam from the beginning, the rest of the membership laughing at all this, it's all coming soon to a theatre near you*

Anyway...

Welcome to the forums astroybunny :)

See guys, with our brillant bashing effort we save a soul. We can be proud our yourselves. F*CK YEAH FOR US !!!

P.S: Welcome Astrobunny. Your soul is safe with us. We won't allow Blablatech to damage it anymore.

Edited by Macross007

Welcome to Macrossworld, Astrobunny. Just to warn you: there's this silly inside joke about mustard that people here keep going back to. I don't get it, you probably won't either, so just ignore them.

Meh. That was born here, and will hopefully die here.

Just be glad it's not the doorknobs.

More outrage than the comments from Astro are the comments from the purist that didn't get the guy just didn't know about Macross and insulted away instead. That doesn't show respect or intelligent. I cracked-up just as much to both...

Considering some of the venom some of you guys put in Astrobunny's comment box, I'm really suprised he decided to sign up on Macross World. All you had to do was point out that Macross Frontier is a sequel to the original Japanese Macross series (which was used as the first third of Robotech), that it has nothing to do with either Southern Cross/Robotech Masters or Mospeada/New Generation, and steer him to sites/forums such as Macross World or the Macross Compendium. The other stuff is going to drive people away and not win any arguments.

Welcome to Macrossworld, Astrobunny. Just to warn you: there's this silly inside joke about mustard that people here keep going back to. I don't get it, you probably won't either, so just ignore them.

What joke about mustard?? I mean, i'm a user here since the old forums (not sure when i signed up here), and never heard of it...

@Apollo Leader: You're right. These forums didn't seem very friendly from the outset. Though, the comments that were made about my post gave me a good laugh. I'm sure with some better moderation the boards would not be a breeding ground for aggressive trolls and scare away those with penchant for good discussion.

@everyone Hi! Thanks for the greetings. Your next challenge is to be good enough to keep me here.

Edited by astrobunny

LOL! The last thing MW needs is more moderation, but at least your heart is in the right place. :)

Well, how about us mean old men (love ya Mal!) try a good hearty welcome and some helpful tips. If you're new to Macross, the Macross Compendium is an absolute must-bookmark-website. It is officially endorsed by Big West, the Macross owners, and is THE English authority on all things Macross. Can't recommend it enough.

I don't know if you've yet to visit the Macross Mecha Manual but you should; I own the place :) It's an unofficial fan site, but I'm mighty proud of it and I'm sure you'll find something worth looking at over there.

If you find us all a little too scary, or just want to join a quality website about mecha, ChrisG's excellent Mecha and Animation Headquarters is another fine site with plenty of good stuff on Macross, including extensive reviews of the entire Macross franchise as well as a comprehensive mecha profile section on Macross mecha. ChrisG also posts here from time to time.

Have fun and enjoy!

@Apollo Leader: You're right. These forums didn't seem very friendly from the outset. Though, the comments that were made about my post gave me a good laugh. I'm sure with some better moderation the boards would not be a breeding ground for aggressive trolls and scare away those with penchant for good discussion.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, good to have you here. Sorry my post brought such vitriol to your blog but as I said, I didn't intend that, it was just an unfortunate byproduct. As you can tell, we get a little heated here about Robotech/Macross comparisons. Read through the HG Disputes threads for a little more background ;)

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

@everyone Hi! Thanks for the greetings. Your next challenge is to be good enough to keep me here.

Oh, and there is no "great majority" of anti-Robotech people on this board, just a more vocal one. Many of those fans even got their start with Robotech and just reject it now.

There's plenty of us who like both, there's just no reason for us to post contantly about it, but we are here ;)

Edited by Totoro242

Well - if your first impression was this thread and a couple of those "you stupid dumb butt" posts left on your blog, then I guess it's understandable why you had a bad impression. But if you really like Ranka and enjoyed Macross Frontier, then I think you'll be happy here.

Check out the long thread on the differences between Robotech and Macross.

Actually - might I suggest to the mods that we re-open that thread for a while in case Astro-Bunny has any questions or statements to make about Robotech as it pertains to Macross?

I think that, if you're really that well versed in Robotech (having read all of the novels), then you'll probabyl have lots of "untangling" moments and it would be good to do them in the Robotech/Macross thread...

Last thing:

I think you'll discover -if you stick around here for a bit - that this board is NOT about hating Robotech or anyone else.

This board is about LOVING Macross.

So - like I said - if, as it seems, you did really enjoy Frontier - then you'll probably find yourself right at home here.

Of course.

As soon as you've taken the Blood Oath and Recanted your sins, and done three months of Purgatory (we usually ask recovering Robotech fans to be responsible for correcting grammatical and spelling mistakes in every single post on the thread for 3 months) and then send Graham and Shawn a copy of your will in which you promise to fork over your inheritance to Macrossworld in the event of your untimely demise - then you'll be accepted as one of us and can have the honor of writing "I agree with you" whenever a member with above 1000 posts writes something and "you are so fantastic" whenever a member with above 3000 posts writes something.

Eventually, you will hopefully reach englithenment and be deemed a human and welcomed into the fold.

Pete

GET A ROPE! BOMBA!!

@VFTF: Yeah. Don't worry. I've sorted out the macross parts from the other robotech parts a while ago already (as stated). Though I still think it would have been quite an epic story if the other parts (SC and mospedia) were actually made as sequels to macross. The novels brought them together pretty well, unlike the TV shows whose discrepancies would only cause knowledgeable people to cringe in embarrassment.

STILL, Macross already pretty damn good on its own.

Ranka, the Little Vajra Queen rules forever.

@VFTF: Yeah. Don't worry. I've sorted out the macross parts from the other robotech parts a while ago already (as stated). Though I still think it would have been quite an epic story if the other parts (SC and mospedia) were actually made as sequels to macross. The novels brought them together pretty well, unlike the TV shows whose discrepancies would only cause knowledgeable people to cringe in embarrassment.

STILL, Macross already pretty damn good on its own.

Ranka, the Little Vajra Queen rules forever.

To be fair the TV series was edited at break neck speed by a large number of people with Maceks hastily written back story only as a guide... and rather laughable and overlitteral translations provided to them by Tatsunoko (see the subs on Robotech the prefect collection vhs if you want to know what I'm talking about)... for what it is I think they did an amazing job, the fact that it is one of the view surviving dubs of it's kind (there was a lot of them in the 80s) to still be popular in it's own right says a lot about it.

The Novels conflict with the TV series and a lot of the other supplemental material as well, but are good in their own right too.

If you can ignore some of the more blatant errors in the TV series (as well as some of the downright silly dialog) Robotech for the most part as aged pretty well.

But yeah... Macross is a lot better.

Edited by lord_breetai

Though I still think it would have been quite an epic story if the other parts (SC and mospedia) were actually made as sequels to macross

Well - I actually disagree. See - it would have been just as epic as if - say - Transformers season 1 was combined with Voltron and Gobots into a show called "RoboWarriors" And you could be like - wow- what a grand epic scale this show has.

But it doesn't.

It's just glued together.

Of course Macek and HG aren't even really to blame for this - since it was one of the pre-requisites of sindication to have X number of episodes and so they just had to fill it in... but...

I dunno - different time, different circumstances. For the time - as I wrote before - I understand it was the only practical way of bringing anime into America.

For today - we can enjoy the originals.

I just feel that there's no point to watching something fake - and ultimately that's what Robotech is - it's one big fake. There is no epic there...

Besides - Macross is epic in its' own right - Frontier is just the literal tip of the iceberg - but if you watch all the shows then you'll see that it's also a great epic.

The novels brought them together pretty well

I dunno.

I hated the interaction between Rick and Lisa. Rick was always horny and Lisa was always hyper. This was in accordance with the buchery of Macross into Robotech - the best example of which is the episode where Lisa is caught in the dead limp clutches of a Zendradi, with others coming quickly, and Rick can't get her out... and we get this dialogue:

Lisa: Oh Rick - only now do I realize I love you! boo hoo!

Rick: I love you too! Now let's go!

How pathetic - literally. So utterly full of Pathos. It's like a...er...a bad American cartoon or movie - sorry to use the "stereotype."

In Macross we had Misa wanting to die for honor since she'd failed as a soldier (by dropping the camera with the surveillance video) and Hikaru insisting that "I would never turn my back on a girl." This evoked Misa's womanliness - and put a smile on her face - she had always surpressed her womanliness in favor of soldierly honor and sudenly here was this guy saying "yeah, ok - you failed. But I'm not leaving a woman behind" - treating her as a woman and not a soldier - something she'd never experienced from other men who were her subordinates.

And that little smile was FAR MORE COMMUNICATIVE of her love and yearning for love as a woman than Lisa's "oh Riiiick! I neeed you! I looove you" claptrap.

It's literally the little things like that which make me prefer Macross.

Robotech is "epic" - in fact, it's so "epic" as to be pathetic. Every single sentence in Robotech seems to screem "I AM EPIC! I AM IMPORTANT! I AM SERIOUS! SEE THE BLOOD! SEE THE DEATH! SEE THE ADVENTURE! I AM NOT JUST FOR KIDS!"

That ironically makes Robotech extremely camp - and not in the good (aka unintentional) way - but in the bad, pathos filled way.

Pete

Pete

Lisa: Oh Rick - only now do I realize I love you! boo hoo!

Rick: I love you too! Now let's go!

How pathetic - literally. So utterly full of Pathos. It's like a...er...a bad American cartoon or movie - sorry to use the "stereotype."

In Macross we had Misa wanting to die for honor since she'd failed as a soldier (by dropping the camera with the surveillance video) and Hikaru insisting that "I would never turn my back on a girl." This evoked Misa's womanliness - and put a smile on her face - she had always surpressed her womanliness in favor of soldierly honor and sudenly here was this guy saying "yeah, ok - you failed. But I'm not leaving a woman behind" - treating her as a woman and not a soldier - something she'd never experienced from other men who were her subordinates.

And that little smile was FAR MORE COMMUNICATIVE of her love and yearning for love as a woman than Lisa's "oh Riiiick! I neeed you! I looove you" claptrap.

It's literally the little things like that which make me prefer Macross.

Robotech is "epic" - in fact, it's so "epic" as to be pathetic. Every single sentence in Robotech seems to screem "I AM EPIC! I AM IMPORTANT! I AM SERIOUS! SEE THE BLOOD! SEE THE DEATH! SEE THE ADVENTURE! I AM NOT JUST FOR KIDS!"

That ironically makes Robotech extremely camp - and not in the good (aka unintentional) way - but in the bad, pathos filled way.

Pete

See I'll have to watch that again if I get the chance I don't have the Robotech DVDs right now, only Macross but I still remember her being upset about loosing the camera and failing the mission. And Rick telling her that was crazy talk... and the closest either of them having to a love confession is Lisa saying "oh rick, I just realize for the first time I'd be lost without you" neither of them actually saying "I love you"... remember Rick/Hikaru was still all aboard the Minmei train at this point and was only just starting to view Lisa/Misa as a human being rather then the voice of command. I also remember Rick saying something about the mission not being over as long as they were alive (since they could report in person even without the camera) but again I'll have to re-watch or read it.

Misa's wanting to die with honor, doesn't really translate too well for an English audience... aside from the Captain who goes down with his ship... we don't really have any analog to the Samurai who can not stand the shame of defeat...

Robotech did force Rick's feelings a little too soon... but honestly there are things I like about it (most of them come from southern cross though).

Also Transformers was an american series on first run, not a syndicated series so it would never have been subject to the 65 episodes of syndication and Voltron did combine two different anime... so dere!

Well - I actually disagree. See - it would have been just as epic as if - say - Transformers season 1 was combined with Voltron and Gobots into a show called "RoboWarriors" And you could be like - wow- what a grand epic scale this show has.

But it doesn't.

It's just glued together.

Of course Macek and HG aren't even really to blame for this - since it was one of the pre-requisites of sindication to have X number of episodes and so they just had to fill it in... but...

I dunno - different time, different circumstances. For the time - as I wrote before - I understand it was the only practical way of bringing anime into America.

For today - we can enjoy the originals.

I just feel that there's no point to watching something fake - and ultimately that's what Robotech is - it's one big fake. There is no epic there...

Besides - Macross is epic in its' own right - Frontier is just the literal tip of the iceberg - but if you watch all the shows then you'll see that it's also a great epic.

I've said it before, I'll say it again..."Legend of the Galactic Heroes" (to cite just one example) is epic..."Robotech" is just long.

And also, this is a Sheryl forum, you Ranka shippers better step in line!

Are you getting in touch with your inner Animesuki Forum poster...?

See I'll have to watch that again if I get the chance I don't have the Robotech DVDs right now, only Macross but I still remember her being upset about loosing the camera and failing the mission. And Rick telling her that was crazy talk... and the closest either of them having to a love confession is Lisa saying "oh rick, I just realize for the first time I'd be lost without you" neither of them actually saying "I love you"...

No - you needn't watch it again. Your memory is quite correct. I just couldn't even stand that much and, as with everything else, have squeered the memory in favor of my impression in order to build up a bias.

I also remember two scenes in the Jack McKinny novels which I found yucky - one of them was in Zendradi Rebellion (which was actually the only McKinny novel I still like on the whole, mainly for its' genuinely good political thriller plot - where Rick and Lisa are all oogly with eachother in the beginning.... and then in a later, Sentinels novel where Lisa calls Rick "tiger" or some such clap trap...

I guess I just prefer the way that budding romance and love are handled in the original Macross to the "westernized" version.

As to the problem of American audiences swallowing the idea of Misa being humiliated and wanting to die for honor...

Americans managed to digest Shogun just fine; and also, the honor code is - in a bit of a different form - present in our Cowboy/Western culture... so it wouldn't have been that totally foreign.

But I guess when it boils right down to it - a contributing factor was the terrible voice acting in Robotech.

Pete