Read only if you want a good lol: A uneducated Robotech fan watches Ma

Vostok 7

Of course Macek and HG aren't even really to blame for this - since it was one of the pre-requisites of sindication to have X number of episodes and so they just had to fill it in... but...

That's actually a disingenuous argument, one of many HG and their apologists have created.

Think about it. Yes, they had to have so many episodes for syndication.

But where does it say they had to be rewritten to flow together?

They could've translated them as 3 standalone programs, united under the Robotech banner.

This was done by another company...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Five

And also, this is a Sheryl forum, you Ranka shippers better step in line!

Damn skippy!

Fire up the Northern Cross CD!

They could've translated them as 3 standalone programs, united under the Robotech banner

Well - in Robotech Art 3, the guy who writes that says that syndication required that one show has 65 episodes or something like that.

But I see what you're saying - they could have just set it up as "the Japanese Anime Trilogy" - a sampling of three different anime from Japan.

But that would have required creative thought ontheir part...

Pete

Well - in Robotech Art 3, the guy who writes that says that syndication required that one show has 65 episodes or something like that.

But I see what you're saying - they could have just set it up as "the Japanese Anime Trilogy" - a sampling of three different anime from Japan.

Exactly. It's not like any of the people running the syndicated programs actually watched them beforehand.

Actually, come to think of it... I gather a problem Robotech had was that many stations didn't broadcast the episodes in order, assuming it was 1-shot episodes like American cartoons. Syndication may not have been a good target in the first place.

Exactly. It's not like any of the people running the syndicated programs actually watched them beforehand.

Actually, come to think of it... I gather a problem Robotech had was that many stations didn't broadcast the episodes in order, assuming it was 1-shot episodes like American cartoons. Syndication may not have been a good target in the first place.

Happened with the local affiliate here, the first episode they showed was "Force of Arms" :lol:

But in those days you had two options either you were a first run show sponsored by a particular network, or you were in syndcation.

Remember Harmony Gold DID try direct to video first for Macross.

I would say it's not Macek's job, he implemented the decision but didn't make it, you can totally blame Harmony Gold though.

Happened with the local affiliate here, the first episode they showed was "Force of Arms" :lol:

But in those days you had two options either you were a first run show sponsored by a particular network, or you were in syndcation.

Remember Harmony Gold DID try direct to video first for Macross.

I would say it's not Macek's job, he implemented the decision but didn't make it, you can totally blame Harmony Gold though.

there's something that's been bothering me for a long time about the "blame it on the syndication requirements" angle. sure, HG and Macek are saying they would have liked to dub macross direct without having to add 2 other anime series. but even if it was only macross, it would still have to be dubbed and westernized a bit. the cynical part of me has a feeling that the finished product of Macross -- even if it was ONLY Macross -- would still be quite different from the original. I think HG would still have insisted to portray minmei as a skank. i wouldn't be surprised if they still killed off global and the bridge bunnies for dramatic effect. and OF COURSE, we would still have the gadawful reba west songs; there's no going around that. :lol:

of course, this is purely speculation. but my spider sense is tingling. :p

there's something that's been bothering me for a long time about the "blame it on the syndication requirements" angle. sure, HG and Macek are saying they would have liked to dub macross direct without having to add 2 other anime series. but even if it was only macross, it would still have to be dubbed and westernized a bit. the cynical part of me has a feeling that the finished product of Macross -- even if it was ONLY Macross -- would still be quite different from the original. I think HG would still have insisted to portray minmei as a skank. i wouldn't be surprised if they still killed off global and the bridge bunnies for dramatic effect. and OF COURSE, we would still have the gadawful reba west songs; there's no going around that. :lol:

Did Reba do the voice in the direct to VHS Macross episodes?

I always thought HG and Macek did that so they wouldn't have to give credit to the original creators and save money. Before anyone knew Shoji Kawamori and others were responsible for the stuff in the first part of Robotech, they gave the illusion that it was their creation. Hence the creative changes like the Veritech and Protoculture (super science/space fuel/spice/whatever). But then they had to work around things like Reba West singing; they were obligated to do so to keep the illusion going.

Speaking of Minmay, does anyone know what happened to her in the Robotech novels? I have the feeling she wasn't treated any better as that story went on.

EDIT: I found out what happened at the end for her. Don't really know what to say about it.

Edited by Einherjar

I always thought HG and Macek did that so they wouldn't have to give credit to the original creators and save money. Before anyone knew Shoji Kawamori and others were responsible for the stuff in the first part of Robotech, they gave the illusion that it was their creation.

I don't think anyone cared back then.

Transor Z, Astro Boy, Gigantor, Speed Racer, Voltron... Robotech was just one more adapted anime.

Speaking of Minmay, does anyone know what happened to her in the Robotech novels? I have the feeling she wasn't treated any better as that story went on.

EDIT: I found out what happened at the end for her. Don't really know what to say about it.

Repeat after me: End of the Circle doesn't exist. The story is still open. Rick and Lisa and them have no established fate.

I liked the bit in Robotech Art 3 where Macek got angry with the Japanese and accused them of having a secret agenda of using some of the material to make a completely new series in Japan. In other words he was doing this....

th_02219_pot-kettle-black_122_554lo.jpg

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven