Escalflowne

Gundam 00 so far not so good based on RobertTK

Macross frontier

Eureka Seven

Gurran Lagann

New seasons please

Edited by Snail00

• 3 months later...

Just watched Gundam OO movie (DVD released yesterday). It's good and entertaining. UC purists may hate it or complain about something; they always do to every non-UC product anyway.I feel bad saying this on a Macross forum, but I enjoyed it more than The False Diva. Pacing is the key, I think.

Just watched Gundam OO movie (DVD released yesterday). It's good and entertaining. UC purists may hate it or complain about something; they always do to every non-UC product anyway.I feel bad saying this on a Macross forum, but I enjoyed it more than The False Diva. Pacing is the key, I think.

I just watched this horror story

My review

Pew Pew

Introduce cast

PEW PEW PEW

DUM DUM DAAAAAAA

Gundumoooouuuuuuu

PEW PEW PEW

who shooting who and what the f&^k is that GRAHAM???

PEW PEW PEW

Setsna SETSNA AAAAAA!

que Music PEW PEW PEW

Lazer show que in boogie night

ah ah ah ah stayin aaaaalaaaa aaaaaaalive PEW PEW

GRAHAM

SETSUNA

GRAHAM

SETSUNA

GUNDUMOOOOOU pEw PEW PEW

Blue

red white and pink o my PEW PEW

GIANT FU&^()ING flower

end credits

Seriously WTF This by far has to be the WORST

WOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRSSSSSST gundam movie eva!~PEW PEW. Really Bandai take a que from Bay. Just because he likes collagen chics and splosians it doesnt mean you can mix it in with a rich historical genre that has evolved over time. Throwing in laser beams of PINK hell and watching gundams at the spead of supersonic light doesn't make me say woooooooooow. Also the Alien enemy doesn't need to be shards of crystal needle threads pew pew. PEw...

I loved MS08th Team, Stardust Memory and even the annotated Zeta Movies. Even the Unicorn has a very nice progressive story. Wing wasn't UC but the movie kicked ass! THIS SUCKED ALL THE WAY TO STAR DRIVER pew pew PEW GUNDAMOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

End Review Rant

Seriously WTF This by far has to be the WORST

WOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRSSSSSST gundam movie eva!~PEW PEW. Really Bandai take a que from Bay. Just because he likes collagen chics and splosians it doesnt mean you can mix it in with a rich historical genre that has evolved over time. Throwing in laser beams of PINK hell and watching gundams at the spead of supersonic light doesn't make me say woooooooooow. Also the Alien enemy doesn't need to be shards of crystal needle threads pew pew. PEw...

I loved MS08th Team, Stardust Memory and even the annotated Zeta Movies. Even the Unicorn has a very nice progressive story. Wing wasn't UC but the movie kicked ass! THIS SUCKED ALL THE WAY TO STAR DRIVER pew pew PEW GUNDAMOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

End Review Rant

If you're serious...

Like I said UC purists will hate. Haters will hate. You HAVE your share of UC goodness this year, TWO episodes of Unicorn, a PS3 game with new story, sidestory mangas, and plenty more UC stuff.

Can you SENILE OLD MEN gave us young uns to have flashy mecha shows with pink beams and bishonen once in a while? JUST ONCE IN A WHILE?

And "rich historical genre" my ass.

If you just trolling...

heheh, good one.

If you're serious...

Like I said UC purists will hate. Haters will hate. You HAVE your share of UC goodness this year, TWO episodes of Unicorn, a PS3 game with new story, sidestory mangas, and plenty more UC stuff.

Can you SENILE OLD MEN gave us young uns to have flashy mecha shows with pink beams and bishonen once in a while? JUST ONCE IN A WHILE?

And "rich historical genre" my ass.

If you just trolling...

heheh, good one.

haha trolling yeah. I give my opinion on a truly horribly atrocious story. I think I would like Astro Plan more.....UC? I barely know anything about the series. I had to watch zeta and post questions on another board to understand. I just got into UC late last year. Saw MS08th Team in Dec 09 and Star Dust Memory around June '10. I have big fuzzy feeling for Wing which was the first Gundam show I ever saw straight out of university. And I really liked the First Season of 00. Second season was so so. Some nice heart breaking episodes in season 2 but the movie, I could not connect with any of the characters, the gundam battles, well how could you tell what was going on when everything was a blur. The enemy was weak, plot holes galore. Just because you may be a fan doesn't mean everything spit out is to be treated with enthusiasm. This could have really been something. The macross movie was really enjoyable and made sense. This was a story done in a bathroom on a role of toilet paper. But hey if you like it good for you. I guess with age you just develop better tastes.

haha trolling yeah. I give my opinion on a truly horribly atrocious story. I think I would like Astro Plan more.....UC? I barely know anything about the series. I had to watch zeta and post questions on another board to understand. I just got into UC late last year. Saw MS08th Team in Dec 09 and Star Dust Memory around June '10. I have big fuzzy feeling for Wing which was the first Gundam show I ever saw straight out of university. And I really liked the First Season of 00. Second season was so so. Some nice heart breaking episodes in season 2 but the movie, I could not connect with any of the characters, the gundam battles, well how could you tell what was going on when everything was a blur. The enemy was weak, plot holes galore. Just because you may be a fan doesn't mean everything spit out is to be treated with enthusiasm. This could have really been something. The macross movie was really enjoyable and made sense. This was a story done in a bathroom on a role of toilet paper. But hey if you like it good for you. I guess with age you just develop better tastes.

Enemy was weak? Humanity almost destroyed by ELS if not for OOQ negotiating peace with them.

Personally, I won't call it "the bestest movie evarr", it still lacking in many ways. But hey, If I watched this movie on a theater, I'd came out with a big smile on my face. Thinking, "Whoa, that was cool. What was the story again? Oh, I'll just discuss it with people on board,". Yeah, it could be better (with all the hype that they created) but it could be worse. I like The False Diva too, but like I said before, this Gundam movie is more entertaining. Maybe I'm kind of guy who loves mindless explosion, but then if we strip any Gundam movie from action scenes and flashy MSs and left the movie with blabbering political and historical only, will you still watch it? It may make sense, no plot holes but then empty and not entertaining at all.

I don't know if watching subbed version or discussing the story can change your mind, but to me it makes sense. Back then when Aeolia oldman said something about his plan to eradicate wars is to prepare for coming dialogue with another being, I thought, no way they will bring aliens into Gundam. But they did it. And said alien is something truly unique, not your typical humanoid or space bug (no offense to Zentradi and Vajra lol). I don't think there's any glaring plotholes here, just some new characters that came out of nowhere and gone (Descartes Shaman & Meena Carmine).

I'm not defending this movie out of fanboyism. I'm disappointed with OO S2 too, and this movie still can't match season 1 anyway. But I believe it got some unfair treatment.

I think someone needs subs.

I'm gonna have to agree, the pacing on this movie was much better than Frontier's. Then again, 00's movie didn't try to retell 8 episodes into 2 hours. 00's actually finished the series without having to retell the entire story from the beginning.

I'm a UC-purist who enjoyed 00 (the 1st season anyways) and thought it was a breadth of fresh air. UC timeline is not without its problems - as there is a strong sense of "I've seen this before" for every recent intellectual property (Igloo, UCG, etc.).

In my opinion, Gundam in general has staled and grown moldy. It's kind of funny that the gunpla for the 00 movie came out before the actual movie - which leads me to believe that it's just become a big cash grinder. (In before DUR... WHAT ISN'T?)

Good to hear that people seemed to enjoy the movie! I haven't seen it yet, and I was a bit scared to after hearing the negative press. It wouldn't have stopped me from seeing it, though.

It came out in Japan on DVD/Blu-ray right before Christmas. The rips have been out since Christmas.

It's not bad. Not the best Gundam movie out there but it's definitely not the worst. It provides a good ending to the 00-series.

I would have liked to have seen 00 Qan[T] do more than appear at the end of the movie. Harute, Zabanya and the Braves really stole the mech action in the movie.

It felt like the ELS is Macross Frontier Fleet while ESF is the Vajra.

Macross, Gunbuster/Diebuster with a bit of Betterman.

I always viewed the Gundam space emigration and Newtype manifest destiny a bit idiotic as they do not have FTL. Well surprise the Gundam Quan[T] has FTL. The ELS have their own FTL reaching Sol coming out of the Red Spot.

Jupiter getting the hate again for being another plot device. I've seen too many mecha anime with Jupiter as the plot device. /m/ compares Jupiter as Batman.

It appears the ELS took a page from Macross space emigration not putting all their eggs in one basket after their planetary surface was charred. They colonized one world but did not stop there.

Movie far exceeded my expectations, I give it a B+.

They pulled off the alien invasion thing pretty well. I got goosebumps watching the ELS absorb everything in its path. I also thought they handled the explanation of Veda + GN Drive + Innovator in a semi competent manner.

Some bad stuff: introduction of pointless fanservice character, the combat is just excessive amounts of flash and things going pew pew..

And yay! Patrick dodges the bullet again ! :D

Edited by Ghost Train

Movie far exceeded my expectations, I give it a B+.

They pulled off the alien invasion thing pretty well. I got goosebumps watching the ELS absorb everything in its path. I also thought they handled the explanation of Veda + GN Drive + Innovator in a semi competent manner.

Some bad stuff: introduction of pointless fanservice character, the combat is just excessive amounts of flash and things going pew pew..

And yay! Patrick dodges the bullet again ! :D

It wouldn't be Gundam without all the pew pew. But it also gives a messege along with the pew pew. Patrick is a cool dude. A clown that has a general as his lady :).

Wasn't really a bad movie, but it is by far the funkiest gundam movie I ever seen. I really did like their take on the alien invasion as well.

Patrick's such a troll.

Though it's a shame that a couple of other characters that we know were killed off.

Pretty flashy lightshows, I have to admit.

Edited by shiroikaze

Scirroco Paptimus established Jupiter to be the most evil place in the universe by sheer force of his presence. As such, Jupiter is now synonimous with evil.

Hey comon! Scirroco was de coolest enemy next to Zechs Merquise, and Anavel Gato!~

And Jupiter is an evil place. Outside its our solar systems garbage collector it and the space around it is extremely hostile.

the Braves really stole the mech action in the movie

YES!

and

I always viewed the Gundam space emigration and Newtype manifest destiny a bit idiotic

no. I feel it would only be natural for animosity to arise between gifted and regular folk. We are an insecure species, we fought wars over color of skin! And immigration to space, it will happen as long as profilgating consumerists US expect insane growth rates in GDP of 20+% we wont have a place to live without wearing a HAZMAT suit, so space is the next frontier.

As for Gundam becoming stale. I dont think so. With UC ie MS08th, Stardust, and even Unicorn we are getting different perspectives from around the same time. I must repeat here that I really liked 00 season 1 and slightly 2 but focus on story started loosing out to pew pew pew. And the MF movie although a retelling of the OVA in condensed format was still a pleasure to watch.

I stomached this better than the Macross movie. My only qualm is that there wasn't a proper epilogue except for Setsuna and Marina.

And Feldt was booted again. :(

Graham.... :(

Sergei was random but i guess ppl hated him enuff for him to die. lol.

And Feldt was booted again. :(

Graham.... :(

Sergei was random but i guess ppl hated him enuff for him to die. lol.

Sergei??? Don't you mean Andrei? At least Andrei didn't die like a punk.

• 1 month later...

Watched the Gundam 00 movie yesterday: it wasn't bad but I didn't get how this story could be related with the TV series – this should have been a separate universe IMO...

^There is OO movie thread here, my posts are moved there (and most likely yours and mine here too). But anyway, regarding how is it related to the series, it is related. Remember Aeolia's grand plan: to eradicate war and unite humanity with Celestial Being, then making humans understand each other better (by the rise of Innovators)so they will ready for "upcoming dialogue". And that "dialogue" is ELS contact we saw on the movie. The movie is a wrap up of the whole CB campaign, that's why Sumeragi called it "our last mission".They won't succeed without all the efforts they did back in season 1 & 2. That's the relation I can think of.

Saw the movie, it wasn't bad. Very nice action scenes and it was decently paced. The movie wrapped up most of the remaining plot points and salvaged what it could from the, in my opinion disappointing, second season of Gundam 00. While watching the movie I had some flash backs to scenes from 2001: A Space Odyssey and Terminator 2. On the whole Gundam00 was rather enjoyable but I hope that after Seed and 00 we will get new Gundam series that will rely a bit less on recycling the plot of a previous Gundam show.

^There is OO movie thread here, my posts are moved there (and most likely yours and mine here too). But anyway, regarding how is it related to the series, it is related. Remember Aeolia's grand plan: to eradicate war and unite humanity with Celestial Being, then making humans understand each other better (by the rise of Innovators)so they will ready for "upcoming dialogue". And that "dialogue" is ELS contact we saw on the movie. The movie is a wrap up of the whole CB campaign, that's why Sumeragi called it "our last mission".They won't succeed without all the efforts they did back in season 1 & 2. That's the relation I can think of.

Yep, I was thinking the same but still, all this ELS thing looks far too much like some sort of Deus Ex Machina: if the creators of the show planned to introduce these aliens in the 00 story from the beginning, they should have given some hints to the audience during the second season at least –at the moment, it looks like a "we don't know what story we will tell in the movie so we come up with the first thing which comes to our minds" but unfortunately this thing has nothing to do with what 00 is about so far plotwise...

Edited by Gui

Probably they think "dialogue to come" from Aeolia's plan is enough hint. I agree that it's better if they give us less cryptic hint. But "alien in gundam?!" surprise will have less impact then. Remember that they hyped up Descartes Shaman so much that we thought he's going to be main villain of the movie. If I remember correctly, revelation about ELS was not made until just one month before premiere.

I don't remember even one thing about Descartes Shaman: at first sight, I thought it was Setsuna's mentor from his soldier child era who was resurrected/cloned/whatever... :p

No, seriously, these ELS arrive like one hair in the soup: there was plenty ways to introduce them in the second season –for now it isn't even a surprise, it's simply out of subject.

The series (especially in the 2nd season) didn't specifically mention ELS, but more like aliens. Doesn't matter who or what, just aliens. It just happened that ELS found Earth first. As reeoyuy mentioned, the "dialogues to come" was as big of a hint as anything. And as mentioned in the movie, whether or not humanity was ready, ELS were already knocking on the door. Aeolia Schenberg's plan accounted for the fact that humanity would encounter aliens at some point and he wanted humanity prepared for that eventuality.

I thought it was established that the 00 movie will be about aliens right after season 2 ended? But in any case i did feel the whole movie felt tacked on, and the new suits utterly pointless and uninspired. Same old stuff, more pew pew.

I don't remember even one thing about Descartes Shaman: at first sight, I thought it was Setsuna's mentor from his soldier child era who was resurrected/cloned/whatever... :p

No, seriously, these ELS arrive like one hair in the soup: there was plenty ways to introduce them in the second season –for now it isn't even a surprise, it's simply out of subject.

Well, you may not know his name just looking at the trailers, but it's easy to see that they put heavy emphasis on that new character. From that sinister eyes and huge red Mobile Armor he piloted, it's easy to assume he will be the villain. Also, many artwork promoting the movie made Descartes looks like the main baddie or even Setsuna's rival.

srwhotnews_nt5_001.jpg

Turns out they never met at all. Mizushima is trolling us :p

It's true that ELS timing is way too convenient. However, having them in season 2 would make the season even messier than it is. Major complain of season 2 is lack of characters development due to having too many of them and too many plot to cram too. Adding a whole new plot like ELS arrival will make things worse.

I thought it was established that the 00 movie will be about aliens right after season 2 ended? But in any case i did feel the whole movie felt tacked on, and the new suits utterly pointless and uninspired. Same old stuff, more pew pew.

The earliest trailer shows OOQ blocking a purple beam, it's a hint but nothing mentioned about aliens. People thought that new villain faction have somewhat different GN Drive or something. The world ELS itself is revealed not too long before premiere. And in complicated way. IIRC, there's some sort of code on magazine or something then when the code matched with a string of numbers that flashes in The Back Horn (the band that sings the opening song) video clip, "Extraterrestrial Living Shapeshifters" appeared. Only in latest trailer we saw ELS in their metallic glory.

The series (especially in the 2nd season) didn't specifically mention ELS, but more like aliens. Doesn't matter who or what, just aliens. It just happened that ELS found Earth first. As reeoyuy mentioned, the "dialogues to come" was as big of a hint as anything. And as mentioned in the movie, whether or not humanity was ready, ELS were already knocking on the door. Aeolia Schenberg's plan accounted for the fact that humanity would encounter aliens at some point and he wanted humanity prepared for that eventuality.

Frankly, I don't remember any part about aliens, at least in the "extraterrestrial" meaning of the word, but for what I understood in the scenario of this movie, it's because Schenberg sent a space ship in Jupiter's orbit that these ELS were attracted to Earth: they may not have localized it without this mission beyond the asteroids belt... In other terms, it looks to me that everything here is the fault of Schenberg.

Well, you may not know his name just looking at the trailers, but it's easy to see that they put heavy emphasis on that new character. From that sinister eyes and huge red Mobile Armor he piloted, it's easy to assume he will be the villain. Also, many artwork promoting the movie made Descartes looks like the main baddie or even Setsuna's rival.

srwhotnews_nt5_001.jpg

Turns out they never met at all. Mizushima is trolling us :p

Frankly, I didn't even care about the promotionnal campaign of this movie: I was sure to watch it simply because it was the conclusion of the 00 series, and nothing else.

But this underlines what I meant previously: if you have to watch all trailers, read all interviews and check out all artworks in order to get the story right... Well, there's an obvious narrative problem, here...

It's true that ELS timing is way too convenient. However, having them in season 2 would make the season even messier than it is. Major complain of season 2 is lack of characters development due to having too many of them and too many plot to cram too. Adding a whole new plot like ELS arrival will make things worse.

I wasn't thinking about an entire plot actually. Some isolated scenes could have suffice, or even simple shots maybe, like it has been done all along the whole X-Files series through various means: like this, authors could have introduce, then develop and maintain some sense of mystery which would have encourage the audience into wanting to watch more...

If they really wanted to end their story like they did, that is.

Edited by Gui

The earliest trailer shows OOQ blocking a purple beam, it's a hint but nothing mentioned about aliens. People thought that new villain faction have somewhat different GN Drive or something. The world ELS itself is revealed not too long before premiere. And in complicated way. IIRC, there's some sort of code on magazine or something then when the code matched with a string of numbers that flashes in The Back Horn (the band that sings the opening song) video clip, "Extraterrestrial Living Shapeshifters" appeared. Only in latest trailer we saw ELS in their metallic glory.

The final scene after the final ep of season 2 already told me there will be aliens. It showed some reaction on Jupiter (which i at the time assumed was a GN Drive) and then a caption that said "The end of the childhood of humanity is here" or something. We started discussing it in forums that aliens will be in the movie. Sure enough it was. I sorta thoguht everyone had the same idea.

Frankly, I don't remember any part about aliens, at least in the "extraterrestrial" meaning of the word, but for what I understood in the scenario of this movie, it's because Schenberg sent a space ship in Jupiter's orbit that these ELS were attracted to Earth: they may not have localized it without this mission beyond the asteroids belt... In other terms, it looks to me that everything here is the fault of Schenberg.

Maybe it's within his plan all along. But hey, look at the outcome. At least humans now have overtechnology similar to Macross thanks to contact with aliens.

But this underlines what I meant previously: if you have to watch all trailers, read all interviews and check out all artworks in order to get the story right... Well, there's an obvious narrative problem, here...

No, what I mean is that the trailers and promotional stuff are misleading. Just watching the movie alone is fine. Materials released after the movie probably can help us understand the story better. But not all that stuff before premiere.

I wasn't thinking about an entire plot actually. Some isolated scenes could have suffice, or even simple shots maybe, like it has been done all along the whole X-Files series through various means: like this, authors could have introduce, then develop and maintain some sense of mystery which would have encourage the audience into wanting to watch more...

If they really wanted to end their story like they did, that is.

Probably because during season 2 production they haven't finalized the concept of aliens that will appeared on the movie.

"We'll have aliens for the movie, but we haven't thought about how they look like. Giant human? Space bugs? Nah, it's done before," :p.

The final scene after the final ep of season 2 already told me there will be aliens. It showed some reaction on Jupiter (which i at the time assumed was a GN Drive) and then a caption that said "The end of the childhood of humanity is here" or something. We started discussing it in forums that aliens will be in the movie. Sure enough it was. I sorta thoguht everyone had the same idea.

Indeed it was. It's just that Bandai/Sunrise didn't confirm from the beginning about aliens existence in the movie. They kept giving us hints but misleading us with Descartes Shaman :p.

Frankly, there's far too much "maybe" and probably" in your latest reply to make it convincing, dude: for me this movie still looks like a complete narrative mess and a huge continuity break compared to the TV series, all the more as these ones sufficed to themselves very well while I'm at it – this movie was unnecessary to begin with and in its actual form not only it adds rather uninteresting things but it also adds them in a very discussable way...

Sometimes, I wonder if anime creators don't spend too much time online: something tells me that all these fans discussions about bringing aliens into the Gundam franchise misleaded some people at Sunrise and made them think it was a good idea to orient the 00 movie in this direction when they actually didn't know what to do with it at the beginning of the project – such theme is far too much an entire reconsideration of the whole franchise to be treated in such a hasty and messy way...

Just my 0.02$, bla-bla...