Asian Cinema

crescens

Guys, you watch asian movies a lot? ( no, no, no... keep takako Kitahara away from this topic... :D ). There are many great titles i'd like to share with you guys. First of all, Samurai Fiction and Stereo Future :p both from music video director Hiroyuki Nakano. This guy really know how to make funny, fresh and interersting movies. Samurai Fiction is a modern vision of feudal Japan. Movie is soaked with rock music ( the bad guy is played by Tomoyasu Hotei, "famous" japanese rock star ), funny actions ( 3 dudes running and screaming "i kill ya ~!" is really funny - trust me ^_^ ) and ( the best of all ) camera action ( movie is directed "awesomely" ). I was really enjoying black/white/red filters during deaths of enemies, mentioned humor ( bad ass during his pee time and 3 guys waiting for him to finish so they can kill him :D ) and music ( mix of rock, electronic, trip hop, traditional and that kind of stuff ). Guys, share with me if you know any good movies worth mentioning...

Cheers

crescens ( uber noob )

ps. pls keep chats like "asian cinema is dull/crap/etc." away... please >___<"

Edited by crescens

I enjoy slice of life movies. Just finished watching Linda Linda Linda (Japanese), high school comedy about an a all girl rock band who loses a member and takes on a korean foreign exchange student as the vocalist.

almost watched it ( permanent HD crash :wacko: ), im gonna look for it now :D

I have seen some really fantastic Asian movies lately; and best of all - in the cinema with my girlfriend who also loves them.

They are:

2046, directed by Wong Kar Wai:

I love the atmosphere in this movie. It blends everything that I ove in cinema (namely old Bogart type flicks with science fiction) and it is a very Shakespearian/theatrical film with great acting.

Lust Caution, direcyed by Ang Lee:

This is a MUST SEE movie. The political intrigue is fascinating; the human drama is very very moving - it is all about how young people's view of life as was taught to them in schoo, through history and an "abstract" political view is suddenly confronted by the personal element in human nature - and to very tragic results for all parties concerned. This is a really great thriller - and done with a style and class that makes it a cut above the rest Highly recommended.

There were some other movies I've also seen, but not as memorable, although I am always on the look out for excellent Asian cinema.

Oh yeah - maybe this is cliche - but I really thought that the Japanese version of the Ring was amazing. The scariest horror film that I've ever seen. Probably why I never watched it a second time...

And the funny thing is - I'm looking to watch it again, only I want to watch it WITH somebody (first time around I watched it with my ex-girlfriend). Sad thing is - I can't find anyone who wants to re-watch it with me. Everyone I know has seen it, been traumatized, and doesn't want to ever see it again :)

Go figure.

Pete

I like several films from Wong Kar-Wai and Park Chan-wook. I also like a film or two from Andrew Lau and Alan Mak, John Woo, Ang Lee and Zhang Yimou.

Love Chungking Express and 2046 ^_^ From korean movies i always was a big fan of "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring..." ( move from the highest shelf )

Love Chungking Express and 2046 ^_^ From korean movies i always was a big fan of "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring..." ( move from the highest shelf )

oh, that's a great movie!

add:

"Taste of Tea" and "what time is it there"

What time is it there is a bit weird but I love it.

oh, that's a great movie!

add:

"Taste of Tea" and "what time is it there"

What time is it there is a bit weird but I love it.

havent seen those 2 :wacko: *looks for reviews*

Ohhh, "Running Out Of Time" is also worth mentioning. Story about a guy who got a cancer and starts a game with HK cop. Really enjoyed this one.

I have seen some really fantastic Asian movies lately; and best of all - in the cinema with my girlfriend who also loves them.

2046, directed by Wong Kar Wai

I didn't watch this, but my friend did fell asleep in the cinema while watching with his GF.

Ohhh, "Running Out Of Time" is also worth mentioning. Story about a guy who got a cancer and starts a game with HK cop. Really enjoyed this one.

Yeah, definitely a must-see for HK film.

Yeah, the revenge trilogy should be on anyone "to see" list.

What's that?

Did you guys watch Ong Bak? The so-call Thailand Jacky Chan, Tony Jaa. For those who like fighting film really should watch this, part 2(not tom yam goong) coming out next year.

Red Cliff(based on Records of Three Kingdoms, not Romance of the Three Kingdoms) was good also, part 2 coming out soon.

Anyone likes Stephen Chow's movie? e.g. Shaolin Scocer

Edited by Repiv_Onex

just reminded myself a good one ^_^ Monday is great :D story about a guy who wakes up with a hang-over in a hotel room and got flashbacks of what he was doing whole night :D colage of musical, comedy and action movie~! must see in telling you all :p

sabotage :D

crescens ( uber noob )

Edited by crescens

They are:

2046, directed by Wong Kar Wai:

I love the atmosphere in this movie. It blends everything that I ove in cinema (namely old Bogart type flicks with science fiction) and it is a very Shakespearian/theatrical film with great acting.

Lust Caution, direcyed by Ang Lee:

This is a MUST SEE movie. The political intrigue is fascinating; the human drama is very very moving - it is all about how young people's view of life as was taught to them in schoo, through history and an "abstract" political view is suddenly confronted by the personal element in human nature - and to very tragic results for all parties concerned. This is a really great thriller - and done with a style and class that makes it a cut above the rest Highly recommended.

There were some other movies I've also seen, but not as memorable, although I am always on the look out for excellent Asian cinema.

Oh yeah - maybe this is cliche - but I really thought that the Japanese version of the Ring was amazing. The scariest horror film that I've ever seen. Probably why I never watched it a second time...

And the funny thing is - I'm looking to watch it again, only I want to watch it WITH somebody (first time around I watched it with my ex-girlfriend). Sad thing is - I can't find anyone who wants to re-watch it with me. Everyone I know has seen it, been traumatized, and doesn't want to ever see it again :)

Go figure.

Pete

if your talking about 2046 lost memories...I found it horrible. One of the few movies I could even stand to finish. I think I quit watching about an hour in. Both my wife and I hated it.

Wong Kar Wai.... many of my friends love him and eagerly await his movies like pearls of wisdom from their cinema guru... I can't stand his movies. *shrug*

"Chungking Express" and its kinda/sorta sequel "Fallen Angels" are definitely two of my favorite movies. I'm not a huge Wong Kar Wai buff, but those two are exquisite.

One of my favorite Japanese movies that somehow never made it big outside of Japan is "Swallowtail," directed by Shunji Iwai. Really long, and really odd, but very, very cool. And like the aforementioned Wong Kar Wai movies, it's got a TON of really good music in it...which is always a plus for me.

I don't watch too much in the way of foreign anything, because I live in a tiny redneck town where the stuff is hard to come by. I do have a nice collection of Asian Horror films. I haven't had time to watch more than the Ring movies, the Ju-ons, the first two One Missed Call movies, Dark Water, Kairo, Death Water, Noroi, the Eye, the first two Whispering Corridors, Spiral, A Tale of Two Sisters, and maybe a few others that slipped my mind.

Ong Bak The Thai Warrior - Tony Jaa redefines the martial arts genre using acrobatic skills he learned as a stuntman and lightning fast Muay Thai.

Legend of the Red Dragon (New Legend of Shao Lin) - Jet Li's (arguably) definitive role as the legendary Wong Fei Hung with a little bit of Lone Wolf and Cub thrown in.

Yeah Chungking express is a CLASSIC film. Im not too much into the bloodbath John woo stuff anymore. I have heard that Takashi Miike makes some good stuff. One of my buddy is wayyyy into him right now. I have Sukiyaki Western Django in my netflix queue right now.

I also like asian film. A few of my favs are:

Battle Royal- Only the strong survive - Has my girl from Kill Bill in it.

Azumi - Cute samurai girl that chops up her enemies

Azumi 2- Ok I find Aya Ueto cute

Shinobi "Heart over Blade"- Liked the anime loved the movie

The Eye- Will blow your mind

Shadowless Sword- Great Korean sword flick

Ichi the Killer- This was sick, a must see

So Close- cute chicks in this one

Sword of Vengence- Never mess with a mans family

I have a few more but I have not viewed them yet. Will see "Parasite Eve" tonight B))

I enjoy slice of life movies. Just finished watching Linda Linda Linda (Japanese), high school comedy about an a all girl rock band who loses a member and takes on a korean foreign exchange student as the vocalist.

Thumbs up from me as well for "Linda Linda Linda", which replaced "Tampopo" as my favorite Japanese movie. They're both based in real life, although they each have occasional quirky, comic moments. I also like fan-favourite "Oldboy", and one of Park Chan-Wook's non-"Revenge Trilogy" films "JSA" (Joint Security Area), which is a mostly action-free drama about an international investigation of a fatal shooting on the North/South Korean border (the main character is played by the same actress who later starred in "Lady Vengeance").

I also like asian film. A few of my favs are:

Battle Royal- Only the strong survive - Has my girl from Kill Bill in it.

Azumi - Cute samurai girl that chops up her enemies

Azumi 2- Ok I find Aya Ueto cute

Shinobi "Heart over Blade"- Liked the anime loved the movie

The Eye- Will blow your mind

Shadowless Sword- Great Korean sword flick

So Close- cute chicks in this one

Sword of Vengence- Never mess with a mans family

I have a few more but I have not viewed them yet. Will see "Parasite Eve" tonight B))

Prepare NOW for the disappointment you'll feel. "Parasite Eve" is actually rather dull (especially considering the bloodthirstiness of the other movies you cite). Instead, may I recommend "Stacy: Attack of the Schoolgirl Zombies"? The story makes NO SENSE, but it doesn't skimp on the gore. And how can you hate a movie that features a zombie-killing chainsaw named "Bruce Campbell's Right Hand 2"?

And if you like Aya Ueto, have you seen her sublimely ridiculous, completely dada SoftBank commericals? It helps if you know some Japanese, but its not necessary.

Thumbs up from me as well for "Linda Linda Linda", which replaced "Tampopo" as my favorite Japanese movie. They're both based in real life, although they each have occasional quirky, comic moments. I also like fan-favourite "Oldboy", and one of Park Chan-Wook's non-"Revenge Trilogy" films "JSA" (Joint Security Area), which is a mostly action-free drama about an international investigation of a fatal shooting on the North/South Korean border (the main character is played by the same actress who later starred in "Lady Vengeance").

Oh, tampopo is a lot of fun as well. There's so many great moments in Linda Linda Linda and I love all the cliched moments and how Nobuhiro Yamashita handles them.

The moments of handling the cultural differences between Son and the various Japanese students were handled really well.

My asian films list is a bit long... but if you haven't seen one this year, see The Host.

I'm also a big fan of anything directed by Ang Lee, though he has directed many Western films most recently The Hulk and Brokeback Mountain. His projects are really risky, and in the case of his last film (Lust Caution), risque B))... not many directors would have the courage to direct a film about gay cowboys.

Edited by Ghost Train

Hu hu hu :D Takashi Miike got many other "sweet sick" movies :D I remember, once decided to watch Audition and Visitor Q one after another... that wasn't too good idea :D Survive Style 5+ is marvelous :)

cheers

edit. i remember a chinese movie about shaolin warriors etc. It was more a comedy i must say. The title is White Dragon ( master giving power to his student - fell of my chair at this scene :D )

Edited by crescens

guys check out music video for Save Me by Tomoyasu Hotei ( ending song for Samurai Fiction )

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=wL6ptOTgW2o&...re=channel_page

guitar is destroying me :D Basara would be jealous ;]

Hu hu hu :D Takashi Miike got many other "sweet sick" movies :D I remember, once decided to watch Audition and Visitor Q one after another... that wasn't too good idea :D Survive Style 5+ is marvelous :)

cheers

edit. i remember a chinese movie about shaolin warriors etc. It was more a comedy i must say. The title is White Dragon ( master giving power to his student - fell of my chair at this scene :D )

I'm glad I stuck with the thread before posting. I rank Visitor Q as my number one, screwed up asian cinema film, I'll watch anything Miike does. In fact I have collected a great number of his movies. Happiness of the Katakuris is a pretty funny weird movie, a musical about a family of serial kilelrs that own a hotel. Ichi the Killer, most people have seen or heard about this one. If you want a near David Lynch mind trip check out Izo, or Gozu for that matter. His recent US release of Samurai Django was a rpetty fun movie, pretty tame for a Miike flick though.

Prepare NOW for the disappointment you'll feel. "Parasite Eve" is actually rather dull (especially considering the bloodthirstiness of the other movies you cite). Instead, may I recommend "Stacy: Attack of the Schoolgirl Zombies"? The story makes NO SENSE, but it doesn't skimp on the gore. And how can you hate a movie that features a zombie-killing chainsaw named "Bruce Campbell's Right Hand 2"?

And if you like Aya Ueto, have you seen her sublimely ridiculous, completely dada SoftBank commericals? It helps if you know some Japanese, but its not necessary.

I will definitely check out that movie. Schoolgirl zombies???? :blink: I like the movie already.

As for Aya, I'm sure I'll find her commerical on you tube.

My little hole in the net

Edited by SilentCrossHairs

I'm glad I stuck with the thread before posting. I rank Visitor Q as my number one, screwed up asian cinema film, I'll watch anything Miike does. In fact I have collected a great number of his movies. Happiness of the Katakuris is a pretty funny weird movie, a musical about a family of serial kilelrs that own a hotel. Ichi the Killer, most people have seen or heard about this one. If you want a near David Lynch mind trip check out Izo, or Gozu for that matter. His recent US release of Samurai Django was a rpetty fun movie, pretty tame for a Miike flick though.

Gozu was hard lol ( love scene was sick :D i was like "what the fak?" ). But lately i've found dramas... yea i know some might say they fail, but few of them are actually fun. Good Luck for example, story about young co pilot, Hajime Shinkai ( Takuya Kimura ) flying for ANA ( All Nippon Airlines ). Only 10 eps , but packed with some funny stuff. Dude is strugglin' with Capt. Kouda ( Shinichi Tsutsumi - this guy played in Monday and i love him, he can play all, from psycho to i dont know what else ) and female mechanic Ogawa ( Kou Shibasaki - nice chick :] ). Soundtrack from this one is also nice.

Ohh, and there is another one, Sekai no Chuushin De, Ai wo Sakebu. This isn't actually a movie for males... its a love story packed ( or more like based almost in 100% ) on flashbacks. Very sad story about girl named Akiand her school love. Sounds cheesy i know... but hey checking won't hurt ya~!

crescens ( still noob )

edit*

doubt Parasite Eve will turn out good... but gonna chack it cause game was really awesome ( music by Yoko Shimoura - hope i remember the name correct - owned me )

Edited by crescens

Gozu was hard lol ( love scene was sick :D i was like "what the fak?" ). But lately i've found dramas... yea i know some might say they fail, but few of them are actually fun. Good Luck for example, story about young co pilot, Hajime Shinkai ( Takuya Kimura ) flying for ANA ( All Nippon Airlines ). Only 10 eps , but packed with some funny stuff. Dude is strugglin' with Capt. Kouda ( Shinichi Tsutsumi - this guy played in Monday and i love him, he can play all, from psycho to i dont know what else ) and female mechanic Ogawa ( Kou Shibasaki - nice chick :] ). Soundtrack from this one is also nice.

Ohh, and there is another one, Sekai no Chuushin De, Ai wo Sakebu. This isn't actually a movie for males... its a love story packed ( or more like based almost in 100% ) on flashbacks. Very sad story about girl named Akiand her school love. Sounds cheesy i know... but hey checking won't hurt ya~!

crescens ( still noob )

edit*

doubt Parasite Eve will turn out good... but gonna chack it cause game was really awesome ( music by Yoko Shimoura - hope i remember the name correct - owned me )

Hell yeah............Gozu was off the hook. I was bugging out when I saw a grown man come out of that lady. :blink::wacko: Dude that blew my mind. I forgot to add that but Gozu was one of my favs. :lol::lol:

Edited by SilentCrossHairs