Favorite Macross Dogfight

dreamweaver13

Favorite Macross Dogfight  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite macross dogfight?

• Hikaru vs. Kamjin (SDFM)
    • Hikaru vs. Britai (SDFM)
    • Max vs. Millia (SDFM)
    • Max vs. Millia (DYRL)
    • Alto vs. Ozma (MF)
    • Alto vs. Brera (MF)
    • Alto vs. Klan Klan (MF)
    • Alto vs. temjin (MF)
    • Roy vs. D.D. Ivanov (Zero)
    • Shin vs. Anti-Unification Pilot (Zero, ep. 1)
    • Roy vs. Anti-Unification pilot (Zero, ep 1)
    • Shin vs. Nora (Zero)
    • Isamu vs. Guld (Plus)
    • Guld vs. Ghost (Plus)
    • Roy vs. Zentraedi in Saturn's rings (DYRL)
    • Alto/Brera vs. Vajra Queen/Grace (MF)
    • Basara vs. Chlore/Fleet of Strongest Women (M7)
    • Gamlin vs. Gavil (M7)
    • Klan Klan vs. Brera (MF)

Im suprised that DD vs Roy got so little votes. Alot of things that could have been done better in Zero, but the dogfights was not one of them. The choreography of it was top notch in my book specially between DD and Roy (and taking out a few cannon fodders along the way), not to mention the budget in animating it. Theres also the appeal of the "brute" handling of the Variable Fighters in an atmosphere setting. To each his own I guess.

Im suprised that DD vs Roy got so little votes. Alot of things that could have been done better in Zero, but the dogfights was not one of them. The choreography of it was top notch in my book specially between DD and Roy (and taking out a few cannon fodders along the way), not to mention the budget in animating it. Theres also the appeal of the "brute" handling of the Variable Fighters in an atmosphere setting. To each his own I guess.

Like I said on one of my posts on this topic, the confrontations between them were still a bit "sterile" because they were not hurling insults at each other as well. (Well they kinda were, but not so they could hear each other). Communication between the two would have added a lot to their struggle.

Saying that, I think that the slo-mo moment where both pilots first saw and recognised each other was one of the greatest Macross moments ever.

Taksraven

I wonder who voted for "Roy vs. Anti-Unification pilot (Zero, ep 1)". while by no means among the best dogfights in macross history, it certainly deserves a nod for showing the transformation from valkyrie to battroid in slo-mo. man, i remember the first time i watched it, and i remember thinking "F*CK THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!" I replayed the damn thing (in even more slo-mo) about five times the first time. definitely one of the best moments of M0 for me. :D

This is history in the making boys. watch sloooowly.

Like I said on one of my posts on this topic, the confrontations between them were still a bit "sterile" because they were not hurling insults at each other as well. (Well they kinda were, but not so they could hear each other). Communication between the two would have added a lot to their struggle.

While I get that insults add more flavor, it really wasnt the case this time for the instructor vs student. I can see that even if they are from opposing sides, they did respect each others ability. Some quick remarks here and there, but what got me was I could feel the will to beat the other guy in the fight. Insults in that instance were unnecessary. It was battle of the skills, just the way I like it and just my personal opinion.

Saying that, I think that the slo-mo moment where both pilots first saw and recognised each other was one of the greatest Macross moments ever.

Sort of like the first meeting of the UN vs Anti UN Ace. It really was a great moment.

Agree totally.

Saying that, I think that the slo-mo moment where both pilots first saw and recognised each other was one of the greatest Macross moments ever.---Sort of like the first meeting of the UN vs Anti UN Ace. It really was a great moment.
Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

While I get that insults add more flavor, it really wasnt the case this time for the instructor vs student.

The only problem I had with the Instructor vs student thing is that they looked to be the same age. It might have worked better if Ivanov was a couple of decades older, scarred face or something like that. (I know thats a bit cliched). Its only really a minor quibble though, the struggle was still great.

Taksraven

I'll be back to vote after I review a few side by side. But I will say that there are a few moves/moments that I have always loved that aren't dogfights but I'll toss out for kicks.

-That move Roy does with his gun pod in Zero, kicking it off the hardpoint and catching it in episode one.

-Alto's rescue in episode two

-Isamu's reentry at the end of Plus, driving one of the most advanced VFs and it comes down to riding it out and having a little faith.

-Hikaru's 1st catshot with FAST packs in SDFM.

-End of DYRL, humanity's last shot entails sending a single VF into the heart of a 600 km ship.

would love to have seen that mission planing,

'At this point we are going to send you in.'

'Me, no airwing, no squadron, no wingman, as in me, myself and I, that me.'

or... a la Ash 'This is my boomstick!' Williams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4PcOQYFAw

'Groovy.' (of course replacing the chainsaw and shotgun bit with a scene of his -1S being loaded with FAST packs) :D

Edited by hobbes221

The one between Guld and Isamu in ep 4 easily, but for a number of reasons. Its not just the great mecha action, its the abusive banter between the two, the whole history between the pair climaxing and the fact that they are using such great fighters.

wait...what? :lol:

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I'll be back to vote after I review a few side by side. But I will say that there are a few moves/moments that I have always loved that aren't dogfights but I'll toss out for kicks.

-That move Roy does with his gun pod in Zero, kicking it off the hardpoint and catching it in episode one.

-Alto's rescue in episode two

-Isamu's reentry at the end of Plus, driving one of the most advanced VFs and it comes down to riding it out and having a little faith.

-Hikaru's 1st catshot with FAST packs in SDFM.

-End of DYRL, humanity's last shot entails sending a single VF into the heart of a 600 km ship.

would love to have seen that mission planing,

'At this point we are going to send you in.'

'Me, no airwing, no squadron, no wingman, as in me, myself and I, that me.'

or... a la Ash 'This is my boomstick!' Williams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4PcOQYFAw

'Groovy.' (of course replacing the chainsaw and shotgun bit with a scene of his -1S being loaded with FAST packs) :D

I liked how you worded that. :D Although i wouldn't classify that as a dogfight, more like extreme aerial acrobatics with huge hints of slaughter. :lol:

Hikaru wins! Other votes would go to Hik slamming Britai (as pictured, but not a dogfight, just a throw down :lol: ) and him going up against Kamjin on the SDF.

Also love the GBP-1S test flight battle with the scout. :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I was thinking, Max vs Millia - either version.

Then Shin in Part 1 of Zero - awesome visuals in that.

Then I thought of Klan Klan - anyone she's in is great, and even though she lost, I chose her and Brera - simply for that one ultra long shot. It's like her female intuition set in and she was so happy... Who else hit Brera so easily? Now if she had pwned him that would have been it, but he had better kung-fu...

But still, that's my choice.

Perhaps Taksraven saw this picture and got all excited? :)

You are lucky that I have not looked at this thread for a few days sir, otherwise I may have been insulted earlier. Since you have clearly decided to make some sort of inappropriate suggestions about my sexuality, I challenge ye to a duel at Solisbury Hill on the 15th day of November........etc :lol: :lol:

I will admit though, I do like that picture but not in the way that YOU suggested. I just noticed the detail of President Glass in the background with the red ribbon wrapped around him sinking down, lol.

Its a great pic and you are a naughty boy!

Taksraven

voted Max & Millia ( DYRL ) but i must say that Isamu Vs. Guld is also first class. Still, Max and Millia's fight im more "heart touching"... works on me...

@_@

You are lucky that I have not looked at this thread for a few days sir, otherwise I may have been insulted earlier. Since you have clearly decided to make some sort of inappropriate suggestions about my sexuality, I challenge ye to a duel at Solisbury Hill on the 15th day of November........etc :lol: :lol:

I will admit though, I do like that picture but not in the way that YOU suggested. I just noticed the detail of President Glass in the background with the red ribbon wrapped around him sinking down, lol.

Its a great pic and you are a naughty boy!

Taksraven

Are you challenging me to a duel? ;):p

Oh, come now, don't you find the heart tattoo on Wilder's left butt cheek is rather fetching? Don't be coy, he's a fine collection of pencil lines :):lol:

Actually, the thing I'm wondering about is who the characters in the triangles are supposed to be. I can't make them out.

Actually, the thing I'm wondering about is who the characters in the triangles are supposed to be. I can't make them out.

Can't make them out either, but the real flaw with this picture is the fact that it does not include Bobby with love hearts for eye's staring at Ozma.

Taksraven

Stop talking about that, you make my nerve system frozen because of it :angry:

I vote to ban that pic from MW forever.

Back on topic.

I already voted, but I think Max-Milia dogfight in the game parlor is just amazing to watch, Max really conquer all aspect of her.

I doubt any of you can make a GF like max did (beat her in video games, not the knife fight :lol: )

Three great scenes that come to mind!!

1) Max & Millia in SDFM & DYRL.

2) Guld and Isamu in the Mac+ movie version.

3) Hikaru Ichijo taking on the recon ship in SDFM, episode Miss Macross. Missiles, guns, particle beam cannons, sonic ball busters, sharp sticks!! He used the state of the bad ass arts on the 3 spy's and kicked there asses!!

Yeah I know he wrecked his VF-1J, but he still gets the girls!!! B))

I've said this before, but what the hell...

Taksraven, who do you think DREW the picture? ^_^

Maybe LEON drew it, maybe he was only on with Cathy to get to her father. He seemed to like having all the boys sitting around him on the Battle Frontier bridge, and he didn't try to get off with Grace when he probably should have.

Actually that is ANOTHER thing missing from this picture, Leon in his "casual" Hawaii gear.

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...
Best dogfight has got to be Hikaru vs Misa bar none. Its what gave SDF Macross its legendary status. ^_^

I dunno, it was a bit dull to me, i mean sure she tracked Hik and Minmay down flying around Saturn in the VT-1, but she didn't engage, not one mini missile fired. :lol: Lucky they didn't get it on before that stint, she'd probably would have tracked him down in a VF herself, or the SDF-1. :o

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

OK, for me, the end of DYRL, Max and Millia in DYRL, Guld vs. Isamu, Guld vs. the Ghost, Isamu vs. renegade Zents, are all awesome, and it's all because of Itano. He made Macross what it is. So the results do not surprise me. I love them all, I cannot pick just one.

But now I'm gonna prepare for flaming and go for the underdog vote. I don't think Basara versus Chlore was that memorable, but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsv6Z95wOg

From the episode where they use the new "Song Energy Convertors", but before they got the Sound Boosters. This is just pure awe, I've loved this ending scene since the first time I saw it around ten years ago just because it encapsulates everything that rocks about Mac7 in 5 minutes. Plus the animation and choreography is above its average level, which looks even better now on the HD remaster.

At 4:19 on that clip is probably my favourite part, where Ray has to prop Basara's valk up to stop him from toppling over due to OVER-ROCKING.

This show is about the spirit of rock, with robots thrown in, and to me this battle scene epitomizes M7, and is the turning point of the whole show.

And if you think that confrontation is still meh, then I defy you to dismiss THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD07R-rwBGQ

Two minutes in: Greatest moment in the history of everything.

OK, for me, the end of DYRL, Max and Millia in DYRL, Guld vs. Isamu, Guld vs. the Ghost, Isamu vs. renegade Zents, are all awesome, and it's all because of Itano. He made Macross what it is. So the results do not surprise me. I love them all, I cannot pick just one.

But now I'm gonna prepare for flaming and go for the underdog vote. I don't think Basara versus Chlore was that memorable, but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsv6Z95wOg

From the episode where they use the new "Song Energy Convertors", but before they got the Sound Boosters. This is just pure awe, I've loved this ending scene since the first time I saw it around ten years ago just because it encapsulates everything that rocks about Mac7 in 5 minutes. Plus the animation and choreography is above its average level, which looks even better now on the HD remaster.

At 4:19 on that clip is probably my favourite part, where Ray has to prop Basara's valk up to stop him from toppling over due to OVER-ROCKING.

This show is about the spirit of rock, with robots thrown in, and to me this battle scene epitomizes M7, and is the turning point of the whole show.

And if you think that confrontation is still meh, then I defy you to dismiss THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD07R-rwBGQ

Two minutes in: Greatest moment in the history of everything.

I agree on all counts.

BOMBAA!!

(Although the SECOND greatest moment in the history of everything has to be Pedro jumping into Emilia's mouth. ^_^ )

haha. i know i said from the very start that Macross 7 was not my expertise and that i would be hardpressed to remember dogfights from that series.... but shame on me for not remembering Basara vs. Emilia! gomen gomen. :)

and Pedro also takes the prize for the single greatest c**kblock in history. :D