Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

I want all the Beagle ridearmor stuff too, but only if the quality is top notched. The scale's bigger, and the sculpt is more accurate. But at over US$250 per 20cm figure excluding EMS shipping, and with the recent global recession, I've to be more practical and stick to my budget and plan.

If I've not lost quite a bit of money in my investments, I might make the exception. Still, no point crying over spilt milk. ^_^

And I've still got plenty of cheaper, fixed posed castoffable figures to buy. Especially after the 2009 Feb WonderFest.

I thought Wonderfest was in hiatus..?

There was an accident or something which shut it down... or did they sort it out?

My beta fighter arrived today. I did a full-cycle transformation once. I am happy to report that the thing is sturdy. Yes, the legs are a bit loose at the hip joints. The way the battloid folds and collapses into fighter mode can cause minor disgruntlement if you don't have your hand firmly grasping the unit, but aside from that, it is solid. It feels solidly built, the way the Alpha should have felt. One caveat, in battloid, the legs can extend and the knees can bend. From what I can tell, that is only real weak spot. Even though the knees click when they bend, I can just see someone putting a bit too much pressure into it and breaking it.

I actually believe that because the Beta was intended to be an add-on to sell more toys, and that the designs weren't fully drawn like that of the Alpha, that the lack of details in the beta's design has helped to make the toy a lot stronger than the alpha. Since they don't have to go by detailed design sketches, they were free to look at the molds from other (sturdier perhaps?) model kits and create a toy that is solid. Like I said earlier, this is how the alpha fighter should have been constructed in the beginning.

I have not tried to link it up yet but I will soon.

Edited by protogarland

Just a small comparrison pic for those too impatient to wait for real reviews.

For the record, this seems like a pretty sturdy little guy. The only thing I wish is that his cockpit wasn't so huge and inaccurate (I don't mind its presence in battloid) and I wish the hips were stiffer. Otherwise it's solid.

post-659-1229560016_thumb.jpg

Cool, thanks for the review, good to know it's sturdy that's for sure. :) Wonder when the Red beta will come out...

I believe Feb. 2009 is the red beta followed by the Green. From the instruction booklet included with my unit, the characters to be used on the red and green are Annie and Lunk respectively.

I believe Feb. 2009 is the red beta followed by the Green. From the instruction booklet included with my unit, the characters to be used on the red and green are Annie and Lunk respectively.

Cool! Thanks for that, maybe if RT.com comes down under for a convention next year, i'll be able to pick one up! :)

Here's a couple of my CM A stance pics of the Tread (front and back), this thread is seriously in DIRE need of some Toynami beta pics!

Jenius!!!!!!!! :lol:

gallery_3118_60_1604917.jpg

gallery_3118_60_2537693.jpg

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

These guys are saying it's schedulled for the end of january:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230314874664

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=110327591955

Don't know how reliable this is though.

Wow, that's sure early then, Hmm, i won't have the funds for like 5 months, so it will have to wait lol.

The canopy/cockpit/fighter head looks like a flat fat snake head, compared to the CM. heh. :D

Thanks for that! That's good enough for me. :)

Un-biased, i still prefer the CM Tread alot more than the Toynami. But will be awesome to have the Zeta (red) Toynami Tread in my collection! :D

Great time to be a Mospeada fan guys! This year has been fantastic!

Looking at mine and the new pics of the Toynami Beta makes me wanna bust some poses and displays mospeada style! Love my CMS....

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

As i said before toynami did very good with this toy and since i have both versions toynami and CM , the toynami one is by far the better one

Funny I never thought I'd hear this " the toynami one is by far the better one". Good to hear the positive reports! Keep it coming guys. Jenius I can't wait for that review. B))

Thanks.

I had the 4 original BGC poseable figures from Atelier Sai. 2 sets each. But the joint quality isn't good.

After that, I bought the revoltech stuff. Same disappointment. Then I bought the figma stuff. Same issues. Before all these, I had a number of Valks. Same sadness. So far no poseable Japanese toys have good quality joints. (except maybe the poseable dolfies and dollstuff but I won't know since I don't have 1)

So, to cut a long story short, I stopped buying poseable Japanese toys, including the Yamato Motoslaves. (I'm glad I did wait until after the reviews come out, which isn't very positive. Also, as expected from Yamato, they are reissuing the Motoslave, now in a brand new shiny metalic paint scheme. Re-issues in new colors seemed to be Yamato's favourite activity. Just look at their recent Ignis release or their Cobra-Kai sculpted Kanu) :mellow:

Guess I will wait for the recommendations of my peers here in Macrossworld and other figure review sites before plonking down my hard-earned dollars for Yamato's Motoslaves.

Which Revoltechs are you talking about? The busou shinki stuff?

What is the figma stuff?

I'm VERY tempted to get the metallic Yamato motoslaves, since I don't have any BGC figures, though I think they're identical, just different colors (unlike MOSPEADA where we have actual different designs). You'd recommend against the Yamato stuff though?

Which Revoltechs are you talking about? The busou shinki stuff?

What is the figma stuff?

I'm VERY tempted to get the metallic Yamato motoslaves, since I don't have any BGC figures, though I think they're identical, just different colors (unlike MOSPEADA where we have actual different designs). You'd recommend against the Yamato stuff though?

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist.cgi - figma

ahh s^t sorry i forgot to enter next screen >_<

So who is planning on getting which variant?

I'm tossing on wether to get the blue as well as the red, but i think because it's so expensive, i'll just stay with the Red Tread/Beta.

Are you getting all four Jenius (including Shadow) and SterlingS? :p 5.. geez, that's expensive...

Looking at pics posted, it does look a bit too purply blue than blue compared to the CM....

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

All I care about is if it color-matches the two MPC Alphas I already got.

I just put down my payment for one, so I'll be getting a Beta soon enough (I preferred not to purchase from RT.com/HG directly).

Once I futz around with it a bit, sticker it up, panel-line it, and finally, FINALLY change my avatar, you know I'll be posting some pics of the big bad Beta in all its glory! ;)

As for your question ruskii, I think I'm gonna stick with the blue bastard. If I'm impressed enough with the Beta, I'll probably buy another blue one (one to display in battloid with the rest of the MPC's and one to leave in fighter combo mode).

Just can't get over that chest. I expect at least some interchangeable part if they can't hide that cockpit. This is the one thing that's stopping me from buying the toynami beta.

Maybe some one can customize it.

So Mog, I hope you keep your avatar. It sure looks nicer. :)

Just can't get over that chest. I expect at least some interchangeable part if they can't hide that cockpit. This is the one thing that's stopping me from buying the toynami beta.

Maybe some one can customize it.

So Mog, I hope you keep your avatar. It sure looks nicer. :)

If I ever buy one, I'm sure as heck going to either make a custom cockpit/hideaway mechanism or just a piece to cover their shitty one. But the price is just so high and I feel like it'll drop soon. If I could get it for $100, I'd buy it and make a custom little part (maybe even send the custom part to someone who could cast more). But as it stands, $150 plus shipping simply b/c Toynami wants the price to be kept artificially high (which should be made illegal considering the US is a capitalist style economy and that is no different than a cartel keeping prices artificially high in my opinion).

But as it stands, $150 plus shipping simply b/c Toynami wants the price to be kept artificially high (which should be made illegal considering the US is a capitalist style economy and that is no different than a cartel keeping prices artificially high in my opinion).

You gotta be kidding. So you seriously think $150 is artificially high for a product that large and complex, requiring extensive unique steel tooling sets, diecast tooling, that many different materials elements, time on the assembly line, produced in such a limited quantity, for such a limited, esoteric interest (not even considering the R & D involved)?

Really. I expected the thing to be at least $200. Especially with the current depressed collectors market and the fact that there isn't expected to be a Japanese release.

You gotta be kidding. So you seriously think $150 is artificially high for a product that large and complex, requiring extensive unique steel tooling sets, diecast tooling, that many different materials elements, time on the assembly line, produced in such a limited quantity, for such a limited, esoteric interest (not even considering the R & D involved)?

Really. I expected the thing to be at least $200. Especially with the current depressed collectors market and the fact that there isn't expected to be a Japanese release.

what up ray! :)

i ask that you look at the beta again.

while its large in size, theres hardly anything i would say is complex about the toy or its design.

its one of the plainest/simplest transforming toys i've seen in a long time.

honestly, yamatos destroid is more complex than toynamis beta and it doesn't even transform.

Ray, you missed out on this, but when the Beta was originally listed with an SRP of $80 (due to an error in Toynami's price information that was sent to retailers), many people here took that price as gospel, even though it was the exact same SRP that was used for the Alphas. When the error was corrected and the correct price was set ($150), these people started crying foul.

I don't know why those people thought that a toy that was twice the size of the Alpha would cost the same as the Alpha. I guess that in the supermarkets on their planet, two pounds of sugar costs the same as one pound.

I offered a wager to anyone and everyone who would take it: if the Beta's SRP was actually $80, I would buy that person a Beta, no strings attached. Of course, if it turned out to be $150, they would have to buy me one. It's too bad, I could have had some free Betas to share for Christmas. ;p

Edited by Roger

Yes Roger, because materials are the only cost of a toy, you're smart and stuff.

I'm with DND, world's simplest toy currently selling for $150. Roger, wanna make a bet that I'll be able to buy it for $80 some day?

Edited by jenius

Ray, you missed out on this, but when the Beta was originally listed with an SRP of $80 (due to an error in Toynami's price information that was sent to retailers), many people here took that price as gospel, even though it was the exact same SRP that was used for the Alphas. When the error was corrected and the correct price was set ($150), these people started crying foul.

I don't know why those people thought that a toy that was twice the size of the Alpha would cost the same as the Alpha. I guess that in the supermarkets on their planet, two pounds of sugar costs the same as one pound.

I offered a wager to anyone and everyone who would take it: if the Beta's SRP was actually $80, I would buy that person a Beta, no strings attached. Of course, if it turned out to be $150, they would have to buy me one. It's too bad, I could have had some free Betas to share for Christmas. ;p

I think more of us had a problem with how obnoxious you were being about it. Since some reputable stores had preorders for around $80, some of us were willing to believe that maybe the Beta would be all plastic, or perhaps Toynami made a deal with Aoshima that would diffuse the tooling or manufacturing costs. I pre-ordered because it was chance to get it for $80, even though I doubted it would really happen. It would be stupid to not take a bet where you can only win or break even.

I was personally annoyed that, instead of joining with us in a chance to geta good deal, you decided to mock us, and the fact that you contaced the store just proves that you have nothing better to do 'bot-block us.

Yes Roger, because materials are the only cost of a toy, you're smart and stuff.

Materials aren't the only resource to consider. If toy B is larger than toy A, it takes up more space in the shipping container when it comes over from China, more space in the wholesaler's warehouse, and (most importantly) more space on a retailer's shelf. Of course they're going to want more money from you when you take it off their hands.

Going with an analogy from this angle, you have two apartments in the same building. One has twice the amount of floor space than the other. Does anyone expect the rents for both apartments to be the same?

I'm with DND, world's simplest toy currently selling for $150. Roger, wanna make a bet that I'll be able to buy it for $80 some day?

No, I'll pass on that bet, because I'm not dumb, I'm smart (and stuff).

I was personally annoyed that, instead of joining with us in a chance to geta good deal, you decided to mock us, and the fact that you contaced the store just proves that you have nothing better to do 'bot-block us.

No, Danth, you were annoyed because someone actually challenged your unrealistic assumption, which was probably rooted in a deep sense of fanboy entitlement that's so common when it comes to situations like this.

Most people don't like their assumptions challenged around here. It's one of the things that gives this place it's charm. ;p

And if you think that I had something to do with the price change, you're giving me an awful lot of credit.

the beta is simply the simplest recent toy Ive ever seen and it doesnt justify the 150 price tag to me and doesnt make sense in the sense of Lyapunov (haha...I just finished my controls finals today, for all you controls guys out there!).

I think most of us here would rather use our money for anything thats not toynazi for all the shaits that they've been doing to the fans lately.....oh and because of the economy....and oh, because Im a poor grad student...

and Roger, it is clear to me that youre rooting for Toynami. why Roger??? whyyy???.......I thought youre smart and stuff?

Edited by aaajin

No, Danth, you were annoyed because someone actually challenged your unrealistic assumption, which was probably rooted in a deep sense of fanboy entitlement that's so common when it comes to situations like this.

Most people don't like their assumptions challenged around here. It's one of the things that gives this place it's charm. ;p

And if you think that I had something to do with the price change, you're giving me an awful lot of credit.

Be honest Roger, your motivation for doing this was 20% because it was a dishonest thing for members to do (including me) and 80% was just plain spite.

Every can see this. No one sees it as "challenging your unrealistic assumptions". This is evident by your constant challenges to members and reminders to everyone of "whats wrong with this forum". See above.

Edited by Totoro242