Dubbed songs from this epic?

Thom

Someone has GOT to translate and sing these songs, then post them for all of us. They rock!

There has to be a talented person on this forum, or other, who can. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

Someone has GOT to translate and sing these songs, then post them for all of us. They rock!

There has to be a talented person on this forum, or other, who can. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

What songs?

Oh, and if you want something sung, look up RoflWaffleLova on youtube, he's this white guy from Ohio who sings j-pop WITHOUT ANY ACCENT. My Okinawan GF (native english & japanese speaker) is like, WTF Why doesn't he have an accent?

He does english versions of songs, too. Guy by the name of Mitchell Matsuzak, amazing guy.

Check him out, maybe put in a request?? o_O

It would also help if you specified WHAT SONGS you wanted translated since there are QUITE A FEW epic macross series ALL OF WHICH HAVE VOCAL SONGS

Edited by RF-26AAC

Ummmm, I'm going to say NO because the lyrics in English DO NOT MAKE SENSE and most Japanese songs sung in English song like UTTER CRAP. Just my opinion. :)

+1

When I remember the English Fire Bomber I just get sick

Ummmm, I'm going to say NO because the lyrics in English DO NOT MAKE SENSE and most Japanese songs sung in English sound like UTTER CRAP. Just my opinion. :)

Absolutely!

Just look at the attempt to dub Riding in your (my?) Valkyrie from Mac II. Barf!

+1

When I remember the English Fire Bomber I just get sick

Seriously!

English Fire was horrible >_<

Nah but the guy who does japanese covers and english versions on youtube changes the lyrics so they (mostly) makes sense... he doesn't even speak japanese so he generally just redoes the song with "fitting" lyrics.

I'm telling you, he's surprisingly good... check out his cover of Amuro Namie's "Come" o_O

I choose to watch all my anime subbed so I haven't heard Japanese songs translated. It's a shame if they don't come across, and by 'they' I mean ALL the songs from Macross F of course!! Sorry if I was a bit vague. :lol:

Is it just me, or do 'western' songs pale in comparison...or is it just better that I can't understand them without reading them?

Edited by Thome

I personally think it's "human voice as an instrument" vs "lyrics". I've always had trouble understanding lyrics--even pretty clear ones by native english speakers. Just something about them being sang instead of spoken. I mainly like songs purely because of the simple sound of the voice singing, not what's being said. (thus, I tend to like women singing FAR more). And thus, since I can't really understand any lyrics anyway, I like almost all languages equally when sung.

In fact, sometimes when I *do* figure out what a lyric is after hearing it 500 times, I often like the song less. It was better when it was just a "musical sound" versus an actual phrase.

That said---if they're translated, they will then SOUND very different, because it's not the words/meaning that matters---it's the sound itself. E.G. "gomen" and "sorry" sound completely different, musically, even if they are identical, linguistically.

I personally think it's "human voice as an instrument" vs "lyrics". I've always had trouble understanding lyrics--even pretty clear ones by native english speakers. Just something about them being sang instead of spoken. I mainly like songs purely because of the simple sound of the voice singing, not what's being said. (thus, I tend to like women singing FAR more). And thus, since I can't really understand any lyrics anyway, I like almost all languages equally when sung.

In fact, sometimes when I *do* figure out what a lyric is after hearing it 500 times, I often like the song less. It was better when it was just a "musical sound" versus an actual phrase.

That said---if they're translated, they will then SOUND very different, because it's not the words/meaning that matters---it's the sound itself. E.G. "gomen" and "sorry" sound completely different, musically, even if they are identical, linguistically.

Meh, I have a similar opinion but I happen to like lyrics sometimes but I appreciate Jpop for the voice as an instrument, hence I also like opera, gregorian chants and other neato stuff.

But I have my softspot for english rock, and j-pop.

J-pop, strangely enough, seems to be about 5 years ahead of american musical composure, a lot of old j-pop effects/elements are finding their way into american songs and R&B, in particular.

I dunno if it's just me, but the Japanese seem to do R&B better than the Americans o_O;;

English Lyrics are NOT easy to create from a japanese song that seems to have some sort of a theme, though japanese lyrics are infamous for not making much sense at all.

I think my friend mippa spent a few weeks trying to stick with the theme too Don't Be Late but the words were still somewhat different....it worked though.

Hell a few years back I pulled off Zero G Love in English and half of Do You Remember Love in english as well....sadly I don't have that one anymore, but sitll got Zero G.

Sometimes I wish I could understand the songs (that is: know what's being said, not translating) so I could appreciate it fully. Reading the subtitles of the song lyrics is always kind of difficult and it never really comes together. But, I also, like David, I really like the voice as an instrument. So, while I still like the songs, I can only appreciate them on a fairly shallow basis.

Or maybe it's deeper? I always wondered if I'd think Macross songs were as dumb as the Robotech songs if I knew what they were saying... I assume they're not, but I can only rely on other people's assessments. ;)

Edited by Kelsain

My girlfriend tells me that though most Japanese songs have a theme to them, the message is nowhere near as clear as it is in english, often not making sense

Depends on what you're talking about...certainly the average Japanese pop tune makes more sense than, say, a Tori Amos song. I translated a bunch of Shiina Ringo songs a while back, and although they were weird, they mostly made sense.

But Shiina Ringo's an odd woman.

All of the Minmay songs are perfectly clear, as are most of the Fire Bomber songs. It's when you get to the Yoko Kanno stuff that things start getting ambiguous. But Yoko Kanno is also an odd woman.

Depends on what you're talking about...certainly the average Japanese pop tune makes more sense than, say, a Tori Amos song. I translated a bunch of Shiina Ringo songs a while back, and although they were weird, they mostly made sense.

But Shiina Ringo's an odd woman.

All of the Minmay songs are perfectly clear, as are most of the Fire Bomber songs. It's when you get to the Yoko Kanno stuff that things start getting ambiguous. But Yoko Kanno is also an odd woman.

My girlfriend tells me that Minmay's music reminds her of the stuff her mother listens to.

That and the opening theme, she says the old Macross OP reminds her of music the old people listen to.

While it is good and catchy it is a touch dated, haha.

I was telling her the other day that the japanese in SDFM is very clean and clear, versus some of the more modern anime series where crazy slang is involved and ridiculous things like "SUPER FUSION LOVE BOMB ATTACK" and really ridiculous overly dramatic dialouge... it only makes sense that music from the era is proper, clean hyojungo instead of a difficult to understand mess like oosakaben...

Of course, I am rambling here but yeah.

A good example of songs being confusing is "Seasons" by Utada Hikaru (IIRC, it was her or Amuro Namie), we spent like 20 minutes talking about WTF it meant before we finally figured out it was about how the singer's feelings about her boyfriend changed over the course of a year, but the lyrics alone wouldn't tell you that...

It's funny how she can only give me a literal translation of stuff off the top of her head, while I figure out what the english approximation of that meaning is...

Oye e_e

Did anybody ever check that kid on youtube out?

I'd have to ask why translate and dub them into English?

The Frontier songs sound great in Japanese IMO.

Graham

Some of them are just about half-English anyway...well, half-Engrish, at any rate...

. I don't care

$How much fake

:wacko: But what does it meeeeaaaannnnn???

David Hingtgen makes a good point on the songs changing when you translate it and sing it in another language.

Sound-wise, Voices was an admirable job at translating a song to English. Lyrics being translated... We have butchery of epic proportions. The old Pioneer stuff like Tenchi Muyo and El Hazard tried hard. I didn't really like their songs so much in English. The Tenchi TV series had the same singer singing both in Japanese and English, so that was pretty cool.

Keep the Macross Frontier songs the way they are. Japanese, Engurishu, and whateverthehelllanguage that is in parts of Aimo. One of the problems of translating and singing these songs in another language is getting the same kind of talent and maximizing it.

I've heard a lot of fan-sung songs, and they were pure crap. Could I do better? Probably not. Regardless, a lot of amateur stuff is crap. :p Try listening to some of those niconico video songs dubbed.

Then you have professionally done crap, like Fire Bomber American... :p Damn you Lynn Kaifun!

Some of them are just about half-English anyway...well, half-Engrish, at any rate...

. I don't care

$How much fake

:wacko: But what does it meeeeaaaannnnn???

dude, it's impossible to understand without the whole word POINT. "POINT. I don't care. dollars how much fake?"

See, see? doesn't it make sense now?

ummm.... :wacko:

Edited by dreamweaver13

I'd have to ask why translate and dub them into English?

The Frontier songs sound great in Japanese IMO.

Graham

Exactly right.

The songs would sound "wrong" and there would be no point. I love Rammstein and they did do a few english language versions of their songs, but I still prefer the original German ones.

Taksraven