Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

Wait.. Im confused. I thought the 1/60 V.2 were more durable than the 1/48's? Aside from the few QC problems from the first release VF-1S, I thought everything was fixed. Im worried about the VF-1D now..

The v2 1/60 is more tighter and durable overall compared to the 1/48 except for the shoulder hinges. It's just easier to avoid breaking the BP8 on the 1/48 than it is to break the shoulder hinges on the v2 1/60. The FAST packs are much easier to attach and detach on the new 1/60 too.

Maybe Yamato's fix was just an ever so slightly smaller pin in the shoulder. Again, the breaks since the original VF-1S are far and few between so I wouldn't let the problems with the initial release deter you too much now.

well

all I want to say is :

give it some times : just to let it have a good transformation numbers from the owners

and a bunch of no arms vf-1 will be in our collections

vf-1 won't survive with this pressure on the shoulder....

We will talk about this later :p

wait so there's a chance that the fairly new 1/60 v2 vf-1s roy strike can be damaged straight out of the box?

hell yeahhh

my roy was fine but after 10-15 transfo

I had a crack

it just take times

micro crack gets bigger as time goes by

Edited by Ghostkiller

wait so there's a chance that the fairly new 1/60 v2 vf-1s roy strike can be damaged straight out of the box?

yes, either the pin is just too big for the hinge or the bur at the end of the hinge pin is too pronounced and the mere act of inserting the pin into the hinge can cause a stress mark, crack or outright breakage. There were more than one report of owners finding the hinge damaged right out of the box, if I remember correctly. I think one unfortunate soul even had a brand new *replacement* shoulder arrive damaged.

This crack is made worse through the act of transformation as the hinge is stressed as it is pulled up and over the retaining tab on the body itself. Once the hinge cracks, it tends to protrude a bit and this bump can easily get caught on that tab. So either the hinge will fail because it's being pulled on too much and the stress is now being distributed solely to the one good side of the retaining arc or it will get caught on the tab and just shear off.

Unfortunately, this multi-dimensional (super dimensional lol) stress means that simply gluing or epoxing the hinge back together doesn't really offer much long term success. So either replacing (with hopefully a new and trouble free hinge from over-drive) or modifying the hinge all together (like my metal replacement) are really the best solutions.

i guess it's kind of good that i kept all of my version 1 1/60's. i'd choose fairly inaccurate figures over broken figures any day.

I guess. this problem only seems to be happening to some vf-1s strike (roy) and there was one report here of it happening to the 1a hikaru but so far the 1j and 1s hikaru have had clean reports. Scream Man at least has 4 units with no breakages or cracks reported.

my fix is pretty easy to do and has held up well to repeated transformations and poses:

_DSC6101copy.jpg

And over-drive is offering replacement parts and a replacement shoulder can be had for as little as 8 USD and that price includes shipping (SAL).

The toy is a HUGE improvement over the original 1/60, personally there's no comparison.

Did you tie it with a wire Eugimon?

I just used epoxy and it's holding fine. The crack was really little.

And just to remind everyone - the cracked shoulder was on my second Roy - my first Roy was perfect out of the box and still is.

In fact, I just did some winter cleaning and will be showing off pics of my Macross display (and other stuff) soon :)

Pete

i have every 1/72 and 1/60 valkyrie released by yamato. i don't have any 1/48's or the v2 vf-1a or vf-1j. i keep everything unopened but it is kind of sad knowing that i have figures that are already broken or can potentially be broken even if handled properly.

Did you tie it with a wire Eugimon?

I just used epoxy and it's holding fine. The crack was really little.

And just to remind everyone - the cracked shoulder was on my second Roy - my first Roy was perfect out of the box and still is.

In fact, I just did some winter cleaning and will be showing off pics of my Macross display (and other stuff) soon :)

Pete

no, I basically cut out a small piece of metal and replace the hinge. The hinge pin is now supported by metal... as it should have been from the start :p

Haha, as soon as I got my replacement arm for the Roy 1/60 the other arm now has a crack! noooo!

But in good news, the 1/60 VF-1S Hikaru came yesterday - what a fine specimen it is!

well

all I want to say is :

give it some times : just to let it have a good transformation numbers from the owners

and a bunch of no arms vf-1 will be in our collections

vf-1 won't survive with this pressure on the shoulder....

We will talk about this later :p

reading through this thread again... i think it would be safe to say that if Mr. Scream Man gets a broken shoulder hinge then that would be the time to panic :lol:.

So people who have replaced their shoulder hinges was disassembling the VF-1S easy? Could someone show me what how you did it too? Thanks.

check here - link

there aren't too many glued parts on the v2 1/60 compared to other VFs... just a lot of "screwed" parts (including the "screwed up" shoulder hinge)

The toy is a HUGE improvement over the original 1/60, personally there's no comparison.
But after seeing your pics, the 2.0's gripe is quite disturbing and I'm discouraged from buying one due to the fear of these reported gripes! This is unacceptable for such an expensive high grade toy!!

But after seeing your pics, the 2.0's gripe is quite disturbing and I'm discouraged from buying one due to the fear of these reported gripes! This is unacceptable for such an expensive high grade toy!!

There's plenty of reports from MW members who have flawless units and we've had, what, one report of a 1a hikaru with the problem and no reports on the 1j or the 1s hikaru strike.

But whatever man, it's your call. I'm enjoying mine and I have 1j on the way I've pre-ordered the 1d as well.

How well have the 1S Hikaru and replacement arm hinges held up?

Its holding up nicely actually - wonderful strait out of the package. I've only changed it to battroid once now, and it holds up well, but time will tell i guess. The replacement arm for my Roy 1S seems to be the same as the Hikaru 1S - i.e. just as sturdy.

OK, just had a long talk with Yamato.

Regarding the V2 1/60 VF-1 shoulder joint, they report the material has not been changed.

They do say they are paying more attention to QC and have not received any breakage reports in Japan, since the initial run of VF-1S Focker.

I know this news will not please some.

To be honest, the VF-1A, V-1J and VF-1S Hikaru do generally seem to be holding up well. I think the initial problem was probably due to the factory workings using too much force and/or installing the pins the wrong way round.

Graham

They do say they are paying more attention to QC and have not received any breakage reports in Japan, since the initial run of VF-1S Focker.

Hmmm, they said the same thing when you asked them about the VF-0 arm breakages a couple of years back. Same with Bp8, it's always "no reported breakages from Japan".

I know this news will not please some.

To be honest, the VF-1A, V-1J and VF-1S Hikaru do generally seem to be holding up well. I think the initial problem was probably due to the factory workings using too much force and/or installing the pins the wrong way round.

I hope they hire more competent factory workers that can install cheap pins accurately as to not eventually dismember a $100+ toy. I am glad to hear that there haven't been many reported breakages aside the 1S Roy. Also THANK YOU GRAHAM for official confirmation! That's what I've been looking for.

Any idea about the recent reissue Roy 1S and if it's plagued by the same problem as the first production run?

One of my fellow mods at ToyArk has one and has not had any breakages thus far.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0