Macross references in other anime

Ok, was watching the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya over the weekend, and i almost fell off my seat when i was watching the last part of ep 11, actually the preview of ep 12. and the lead character (Haruhi) said during the preview voiceover (in japanese, of course), "listen to my song!". To which the other lead character (Kyon) replied, "Bomber!" :o

I was surprised because an anime like Melancholy is the last type of anime where you'd find a macross reference.

anyways, this subtle reference to the macross universe got me thinking, what other anime (or for that matter, any other media) has other references to the macross universe, subtle or otherwise? or even elements which are clear influences or parodies of macross?

off the top of my head:

1. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (as explained above)

2. Otaku no Video

what else? i'm sure there are others, i just can't remember right now.

In Great Teacher Onizuka, there's a part where Onizuka visits the former homeroom teacher of his class. It turns out she's now part of a weird cult, in one room, the cultists are shown worshipping a statue of the SDF-1 while chanting names of Gundam mecha.

Edited by d3v

In Great Teacher Onizuka, there's a part where Onizuka visits the former homeroom teacher of his class. It turns out she's now part of a weird cult, in one room, the cultists are shown worshipping a statue of the SDF-1 while chanting names of Gundam mecha.

haha, i'm not surprised with the gundam refences, considering there's a bunch of gundam otaku in the class (unfortunately for urumi kansaki. :p ) But SHAME ON ME for not noticing the SDF-1!

I think it was in Bamboo Blade when the teacher give a girl a deluxe edition of SDF Macross video tape.

And also plenty of Macross reference in Robotech (runs away...)

haha, i'm not surprised with the gundam refences, considering there's a bunch of gundam otaku in the class (unfortunately for urumi kansaki. :p ) But SHAME ON ME for not noticing the SDF-1!

Hee hee...Urumi and the Gundam geeks...loved the part when they found out they were staying in Room 0080...

It's much easier to spot if you have the manga. That whole scene in the cult-hq was just full of lulzworthy references: the ex-teacher being indoctrinated on Speed Racer, the cultists chanting "Domu-domu-rik-domu, azunabel-azunabel-sha-sha-sha" to the figure of the SDF-1! Pure win! :lol:

1. Most of Otaku No Video (at the apartment, watching the VHS, at the anime fair, in line while they're watching Nadia, the Otakuland, etc.)

-If you haven't seen Otaku No Video SHAME ON YOU! It has the most Macross references you'll EVER FIND in another animu.

2. I believe Lucky Star has a few Macross references.

-One of the characters (whom I believe is Konata) walks up to the window of a hobby shop. You can clearly see a VF-4 (alike) on the shelf.

In one episode of Martian Successor Nadesico, the opening is exactly like the first episode in Macross where the spaceship coming from the outerspace and crashing on the island scene.

In Bamboo Blade, the teacher gave Tama-chan an VHD copy of Magross Aiji Oboete imasuka clearly in reference of Macross Ai Oboete imasuka.

ok, while this is not technically a reference, but how about get backers... all of it? ban midou as the splitting image of basara nekki. and it doesn't hurt that they have the same voice actor. an inside joke by the character designers of get backers?

as for nadesico, didn't catch that! good thing i'm actually planning on having a refresher marathon of nadesico series next week. i'll look for that. :)

i would think that an anime like genshiken has some kind of reference, but if there was, i didn't catch it.

The Solonoids were an all female race with very DYRL Meltran like uniforms & ships. Homings lasers were very Itano circus like, and thier main enemy was an all male race.

post-22-1213084292_thumb.jpg

Uh, might want to get your eyes checked out. I don't see any overt resemblance there aside from the race of all females. The ships look more like the stuff from Mospeada, much as how the Paranoid race heavily resembles the Inbit. Not surprising given that Gall Force was an ARTMIC production.

And I'm not sure how lasers bending 90 degrees resembles the Itano Circus but okay...

as for nadesico, didn't catch that! good thing i'm actually planning on having a refresher marathon of nadesico series next week. i'll look for that. :)

Don't forget, Nadesico also spoofs Macross by

having an idol contest inside the ship

Edited by d3v

Not an anime but in Stargate SG-1, Earth's First interstellar ship is named Prometheus and the second Daedalus.

Edited by RichterX

I think I saw UN Spacy printed on something in Voices of a Distant Star.

That isn't exclusive to Macross anymore, particularly the "Spacy" part. I've seen the same in Gundam and a few other series. It has become something like a UN Space Agency type idea...

Uh, might want to get your eyes checked out. I don't see any overt resemblance there aside from the race of all females. The ships look more like the stuff from Mospeada, much as how the Paranoid race heavily resembles the Inbit. Not surprising given that Gall Force was an ARTMIC production.

GF definitely resembles Mospeada more than Macross, which is no surprise considering Kenichi Sonoda did the character and mecha designs for both shows.

And I'm not sure how lasers bending 90 degrees resembles the Itano Circus but okay...

What makes you think those are lasers?

In particular in GF2 these "lasers" do an even greater arc to destroy a cruiser overhead. These were missiles and probably a better (albeit misunderstood) way to represent space based missiles as not giving off "smoke" in the vacuum of space... These smokeless missiles are present throughout the original trilogy OVAs.

Zentran vs. Meltran = males vs females in VanDread? :3

You know, I was just about to mention that. Not sure if it was inspired by Macross, but it is a definite similarity between the two

Vandread was a pretty awesome show. I just got the DVDs for $5 each from that Right Stuf sale on Geneon DVDs. Can't wait to rewatch it.

GF definitely resembles Mospeada more than Macross, which is no surprise considering Kenichi Sonoda did the character and mecha designs for both shows.

Um...correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Mospeada character designs by Yoshitaka Amano, and the mecha by Kakinuma (who also worked on Gall Force) and Aramaki...?

Um...correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Mospeada character designs by Yoshitaka Amano, and the mecha by Kakinuma (who also worked on Gall Force) and Aramaki...?

Yep, Amano worked on Mospeada. Also, Kenichi Sonoda started working for Artmic in 1984 by which most of the work on Mospeada (which ran from 1983-1984) was already done.

Not an anime but in Stargate SG-1, Earth's First interstellar ship is named Prometheus and the second Daedalus.

HOLY CRAP. I'm a huge SG-1 fan and I never realized that! The joke inside the joke - O'Neill was not allow to call the first ship the Enterprise so the writers named them after the ships from Macross. I would not be surprised at all. The producers of SG-1 were regulars at the fanboy hobby & comic shop here in Vancouver (Richmond actually) where I used to shop.

Take a look at the higher ranking females with their funky ivsors & what not. Look a lot like the Meltran ships captains.

Zentran vs. Meltran = males vs females in VanDread? :3

Not quite, in Vandread they're separated so the harvester could harvest their

genital

Does the SDF-1 bow popping from Megas XLR count?

HOLY CRAP. I'm a huge SG-1 fan and I never realized that! The joke inside the joke - O'Neill was not allow to call the first ship the Enterprise so the writers named them after the ships from Macross. I would not be surprised at all. The producers of SG-1 were regulars at the fanboy hobby & comic shop here in Vancouver (Richmond actually) where I used to shop.

well Joseph Mallozzi (Executive producer and writer on Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis) is known to have an extensive anime collection

If I remember correctly Joseph Mallozzi once said that he used to watch anime when he was younger and that he like all kinds of series ... also mentioning macross, so yeah it's possible he anmed them after the ships, but dont forget that Deadalus and Prometheus are quite normal names to be concidered for naming a ship (mythology stuff ... ya know)

Edited by whispo

If I remember correctly Joseph Mallozzi once said that he used to watch anime when he was younger and that he like all kinds of series ... also mentioning macross, so yeah it's possible he anmed them after the ships, but dont forget that Deadalus and Prometheus are quite normal names to be concidered for naming a ship (mythology stuff ... ya know)

yeah, its common to use the mytho names on vessels. i guess with the knowledge that mallozi is into anime makes us lean towards the possibility of a reference. i would tend to think that it is, considering that both the daedelus and the prometheus were included in SG. but who knows? until the producers come out and say it... or unless, in some possible future episode if SG-1 comes back, we see the daedelus focusing its shields upfront and ramming into another ship! :)

speaking of daedelus, i gave it a quick wiki search, and saw this entry:

"The Daedalus Attack is the name of a super move of the character Tizoc/Griffon Mask from the Fatal Fury series."

to those who have played the game, and this character in particular, is there a hint of a reference? or is it just pure coincidence?

Edited by dreamweaver13

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i'm now into episode 20 of my nadesico refresher marathon (damn power failure interrupted it), so here's what i noticed:

In one episode of Martian Successor Nadesico, the opening is exactly like the first episode in Macross where the spaceship coming from the outerspace and crashing on the island scene.

that's episode 10, where a chulip crash lands into an island in the equator. while the crash itself doesn't look too much like the one in SDFM ep 1, the island sure looks exactly the same as south ataria -- post-crash. :)

Don't forget, Nadesico also spoofs Macross by

having an idol contest inside the ship

yey, finally saw this episode again. the reference was spot on, even to the extent that a big board on stage displayed the winner's votes via a chart with bars. much like the one in SDFM.

and while waiting for the results, the nergal officers/ad agency was trying to come up with brand new slogans to attach to the winner of the contest. one of the slogans suggested was "Nadesico: Ai Oboeteimasuka". :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

• 3 weeks later...

I am convinced the Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann is Gainax's way of paying homage to the DYRL pilot flight suit...you know that enormous yellow strip shoulder-pad.

chogingagurrenlagann.gif

Edited by Mowe

It's not anime, but watch this anyway and wait until they show the "Mecha Tengu/Jet Tengu" at around 0:49 (although if you look hard enough, you can see it as early as 0:26).

wow. yup, that's clearly a valk wannabe. but my, it looks UGLY in gerwalk. :D

that being aid.... i wanna play this game!! damn you red alert 3 and starcraft 2, when you coming out??!

EDIT: wel,, i read the wiki entry, and even there, the units of the japanese army are described as

"macross-esque". although, i don't know if the one who inputed that tidbit got it from an original source or press release.

Edited by dreamweaver13