Macross Frontier Episode 10 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 10 rating  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 10?

• Positive (Ranka looks so cute in Mao's dress)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Why waste time watching this when I can watch M0?)

There are just too many hints, its not just the credits.

Assuming that Kawamori isn't setting us up for a big surprise in the near future.

:p

On a more serious note, assuming that Grace really is Leon's contact and Brera's boss...

I've got an idea that there really is a Grace O'Conner, and that she really is Sheryl's manager and likes to go poking around where she's not wanted on computer networks, but the person that we regularly see as Sheryl's manager isn't really Grace. When and where Grace was replaced and how willing Grace was to get involved with it, I don't know. But there are a couple of items that are of interest to me for this theory.

First is that Sheryl has known Grace for a while now. Sheryl mentions that Grace likes to go hack systems in her spare time for whatever reason. That's the kind of thing that Sheryl would probably only learn after spending time around Grace.

Second is that at the start of episode 1, Sheryl has fold sickness, which is apparently similar to motion sickness except that it's triggered by space-fold. That sounds like something that someone would get frequently, and if so then Grace should be aware that Sheryl is likely to get it. Instead, Grace seems unaware of why exactly Grace might be feeling under the weather until Grace mentions why she's feeling the way she does.

Yeah, it's quite tenuous... but it's what I've got to work with.

The person currently masquerading as Grace is the man that we see as Leon's contact in episode 10. That's his normal appearence. To appear as Grace, he puts on a wig and uses prosthesis on his chest. A hologram suit similar to the one worn on-stage by Sheryl helps complete the disguise. And finally, some sort of voice implant makes his voice sound like Grace's except when he changes the voice to issue orders to Brera or talk to Leon.

In episode 10, the contact gives Leon information on the VF-27 and in exchange tosses Leon an unpolished crystal of roughly the same size and shape as the one in Sheryl's earring. I'm guessing that the deal is that Leon gets the information, and in exchange creates an earring to match the one that Sheryl lost. That suggests that the earring is important beyond 'merely' being a relic of Sheryl's mother, though we don't know the exact reason yet (and Sheryl may not either).

Very touching episode, lots of angst going around... ^_^

Loved the Kawamori cameo, and I have to look at this article I found about the CGI team who worked on Mac Zero and see if any of them have a cameo in this episode.

The whole "legend" line was nice forshadowing.

The reluctant star was also another genuine touch.

I believe Ozma knows more than he's told Ranka. Sheryl, Ranka and Brera are related either directly or indirectly. It is no coincidence that both Ranka, Brera and Sheryl have memory issues.

Then there is the momment where she refers to Brera as Niichan before passing out during the attack, then she has no recollection of how she survived the attack and assumed Alto saved her.

Now another point to my assertion that Sheryl, Brera and Ranka are siblings, is that Brera is blond like Sheryl, yet has the same colored eyes as Ranka. We are given a hint that Brera and Ranka are siblings by the fact that in a flashback moment she recognized him.

This is going to get interesting...

Now another point to my assertion that Sheryl, Brera and Ranka are siblings, is that Brera is blond like Sheryl, yet has the same colored eyes as Ranka.

Brera is a cyborg. His eyes are artificial (just like Grace's). Hell... he may even be bald for all we know... :ph34r:

Ranka and Sheryl have different blood types according to the Macross Compendium. Sheryl has "Alpha" blood (Mayan). Ranka has "Oz" blood (Zentradi type).

I wouldn't be surprised if Grace ends up being a cyborg Dr. Mao Nome in the end... :lol:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Brera is a cyborg. His eyes are artificial (just like Grace's). Hell... he may even be bald for all we know... :ph34r:

Ranka and Sheryl have different blood types according to the Macross Compendium. Sheryl has "Alpha" blood (Mayan). Ranka has "Oz" blood (Zentradi type).

I wouldn't be surprised if Grace ends up being a cyborg Dr. Mao Nome in the end... :lol:

Cyborg by its very nature means a person with mechanical parts. He definitely has a lot of implants, as does Grace.

Um, you are aware that siblings don't always share the same bloodtype right?

I'm expecting Grace to be a dark hearted spy underneath that sweet demeanor...Whether she was the one in the cafe with Leon has yet to be revealed.

Grace being Mao has crossed my mind before. Brera as Ranka's brother is also an interesting thought.

My theory is the Vajra are bio weapons bred through genetic cloning of the AFOS(Birdman). Cave drawings in episode 8 seem to show some connection with the Vajra and the AFOS. Vajra came out of control so they clone Sara Nome to attempt to control them like she controlled the birdman long ago. Sheryl was the product of the cloning but it seems her songs do not have any apparent effect on the Vajra so they just orchestrate her rise to stardom so they can study her more with Grace watching over her. Would be a blow to Sheryl if her popularity was made up right? Ranka on the other hand seems to have a true connection to the Vajra and coincidentally Dr. Mao as Ozma pu it; "Is it fate that you have the role of Dr. Mao?" Perhaps Ranka is the one with pure Mayan blood? The little green thing is a baby Vajra I tell ya!

My siblings and i have different blood types, that's because my parents have different blood types.

so it's not hard to imagine sheryl got the alpha blood while her siblings (if any) has other blood types, unless the alpha blood is so dominating it takes over all other blood types. Perhaps the alpha blood only gets inherited by the first child? who knows? :unsure:

but i agree Ranka not having Alpha blood seems to hint she's not related to sheryl by blood. just needed to point out the blood inheritence point. :p

Edited by Shun

Grace being Mao has crossed my mind before. Brera as Ranka's brother is also an interesting thought.

My theory is the Vajra are bio weapons bred through genetic cloning of the AFOS(Birdman). Cave drawings in episode 8 seem to show some connection with the Vajra and the AFOS. Vajra came out of control so they clone Sara Nome to attempt to control them like she controlled the birdman long ago. Sheryl was the product of the cloning but it seems her songs do not have any apparent effect on the Vajra so they just orchestrate her rise to stardom so they can study her more with Grace watching over her. Would be a blow to Sheryl if her popularity was made up right? Ranka on the other hand seems to have a true connection to the Vajra and coincidentally Dr. Mao as Ozma pu it; "Is it fate that you have the role of Dr. Mao?" Perhaps Ranka is the one with pure Mayan blood? The little green thing is a baby Vajra I tell ya!

very interesting theory. i like it ^_^

Cyborg by its very nature means a person with mechanical parts. He definitely has a lot of implants, as does Grace.

I think the point was that any similarity between Brera's eyes and Ranka's eyes is unimportant. When you can see Brera's eyes up close, you can tell that they're implants (his iris has visible rings around his pupil). So it doesn't matter what color his eyes are as the color probably isn't his natural color.

Would be a blow to Sheryl if her popularity was made up right?

You can't "make up" that level of popularity. You can make it easier for a person to become popular, as Sheryl offers for Ranka. But ultimately people only buy the albums and pack the concert halls because they like the singer. Sheryl has to have something in place that generates that kind of interest or she would have remained an unknown.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sheryl drops into the background as Ranka takes the spotlight, however. One of the themes of the series seems to be fame versus close friends (both Ranka and Sheryl have one, and seem to be searching for the other), and I wouldn't be surprised if the girl who gets Alto in the end is going to recede out of the limelight.

Cyborg by its very nature means a person with mechanical parts.

...like Brera's arm... ^_^

Yes... I agree with all of this. It kinda fits with all that has happened so far. Ranka will be the big thing in the end... :ph34r:

maybe sheryl's songs didn't affect the vajra because they were commercialized ;)

Yep... No soul on those...

"Aaaaaimo Aaaaaimo....". :lol:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

UNPOPULAR THEORY THAT MAKES NO SENSE NO. 666

Since both the Vf-27 has a built in sword and Brera does too, MAYBE one transforms into the other and vice versa? EH??

080606ntt080700.jpg

In other words, Brera IS the VF-27!!!

Taksraven

why did Brera enter the varja battleship, just when alto tried to enter the battleship?

two of them time their attack perfectly.

why?

based on the flow of the forum right now, Brera must be related to Alto.

. . . why did Brera enter the varja battleship, just when alto tried to enter the battleship?

Hey, yeah: Forgot all about the battleship. If the Varja are bio-weapons from Galaxy (vat-grown, or found in the wild, then converted), then who's war wagon was that? The surviving destroyer didn't seem to recognize it, so it wasn't from Galaxy . . . :unsure:

Edited by HMP_Goose

Time to break out dem Macross Zero DVD's. i gotta watch it again!! :)

these are the kinds of episodes that i really love. very nice. touching, yet not too cheesy. the behavior of everyone involved was very smooth and natural. great episode!

just finished watching, and i haven't read a single post here yet. i'll backread first before making any other comments. :)

but i can't wait before making this one: mao is a doctor now? and ozma knows her? and there's a connection??

Edited by dreamweaver13

I'm wondering if elements of Macross Zero are going to end up as foreshadowing for Macross Frontier, and if so what elements? Ranka pretty blatantly compares her situation with Alto to that of Mao and Shin. i.e. Ranka's stuck on someone that she knows is instead attracted to someone that Ranka considers a friend, just as Mao was stuck on someone who was instead attracted to her sister. What other elements of the plot, if any, are going to show up in Frontier?

Just wondering.

@Westlo, your Sheryl (avatar) talks too damn much. :ph34r:

lol... :p

suggest put a delay on the frame that she have her mouth closed

(just an opinion, hope u dont mind :p;) )

just so i'm not OT :p - regarding flabortast's theory about Sheryl fame being 'made-up', maybe we can think of it as being 'set-up' instead. Sheryl had backers making her shot to fame much easier as opposed to Ranka being hampered by Leon. although Sheryl definitely has lots of talent in what she does.

Edited by Shun

just so i'm not OT :p - regarding flabortast's theory about Sheryl fame being 'made-up', maybe we can think of it as being 'set-up' instead. Sheryl had backers making her shot to fame much easier as opposed to Ranka being hampered by Leon. although Sheryl definitely has lots of talent in what she does.

And why Leon didn't prevent Ranka from starring in Zero movies then, now her song is all over frontier. Expecting a massive Vajra migration by then.

And why Leon didn't prevent Ranka from starring in Zero movies then, now her song is all over frontier. Expecting a massive Vajra migration by then.

He probably didn't have time to respond to it. She was supposed to have a non-speaking part, so Leon probably figured that it was safe for her to appear in the movie. And he probably didn't find out about her new role until it was too late to interfere without going very public about it.

If it becomes obvious to the public at large that he's interfering with Ranka (I'm pretty sure that even Cathy doesn't know about it), then he'll probably get into a lot of trouble.

the original role for Ranka was a background character, she doesnt even get a single line in that role.

Leon must be thinking that Ranka playing a super minor role in the movie will not matter. of coz, fate has it that Ranka "accidentally" gets the lead role Mao.

on the other hand.... actually, Leon might've been able to stop/destroy the movie if he wants to, but then it had already generated too much publicity even before the actual filming... so it'd be hard to silence all of them.

Edited by Shun

Just watched the episode and loved it. There was no mecha action, but I didn't notice I was so enthralled with the episode. The way the love triangle between Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka keeps developing has me hooked. I really liked the nods to DYRL and use of Macross Zero as the movie within the movie was great. The plot continues to thicken in regards to Brera (I'm going with brother from destroyed research fleet working for unnamed 3rd party) Leon and mystery person (I'm going with Grace; How come she isn't with Sheryl during the filming of the movie when it seems she doesn't leave Sheryl's side except the time Sheryl snuck out the find Alto?). I wonder if there will be more connections made to Macross Zero or if S.K. just used it because is was the most recent OVA? I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we here of Macross Zero in the rest of the series.

Oh, Nanase was looking mighty fine in her Nyan Nyan uniform and Sheryl was no slouch. Nice B))

I'm starting to sense a possible Nadia nod in this series.

Crystals = Blue Water

Ranka = Nadia

Brera = Emperor Neo/Nadia's Brother

Luca = Jean? No :) But there do seem to be some congruent themes.

Just finnished ep 10, and really enjoyed it as well. Even the kitchy Gainax style action scene.

Ok, done backreading! whew. :)

so, for me, the most intriguing reveal of this episode is, hands down, ozma's line about fate and doctor nome. :) so a relation between ranka and mao is not that far-fetched anymore. that mao nome may have ended up being part of the doomed research fleet is quite interesting indeed. but is it any wonder that mao went out into space to research about protoculture and the galaxy. her sister and her crush went out like a blue streak of light into space. yeah, i'd think she would be inclined to join some kind of reseacrh on the subject. :p

a crossover from macross plus! yehey!!... granted, it's only a generic creature from planet eden. but hey, since i haven't heard any sharon apple songs yet, it's the first reference for me. :)

ok i know it's a ranka lee episode. but i'm loving sheryl-san even more with this one. her vulnerability mixed with her strength to cover up her feelings? awwww... sheryl rocks!! and even though ranka's song gets chosen as the final one for the movie, i never saw any hint of professional jealousy from sheryl. instead, she's doing everything to encourage her. hell, even if she didn't intend to, she ended up encouraging ranka by kissing alto full-on.

ok, question: so, as opposed to other macross series, is it correct to say that alto is fairly aware that ranka has feelings for him? from what i read from the sub, alto is hesitant about the kiss. sheryl says that it's just a kiss, but alto replies something like "but to ranka, it isn't just a kiss." well, at least he tried to reply, before he was hit with the sheryl nome lip lock express. damn lucky bastard. damn lucky jammy bastard. :angry:

Or did i just misunderstand what alto was saying?

speaking of that kiss... some are saying it had the feel of misa-hikaru. for me, it felt so much like minmei-hikaru DYRL version. alto beginning to take it seriously, while sheryl was only acting and teasing him. the difference being that in this one sheryl actually likes him already, i think. the acting part was mere afterthought. :)

so what it the true terror of the vajra?? oh, the drama, the anticipation!! :p

Just finnished ep 10, and really enjoyed it as well. Even the kitchy Gainax style action scene.

i half expected kamina to suddenly show up and scream, "who the hell do you think i am??". but instead we got brera. not bad, since what he eventually did to the hydra was something that would most likely happen in gurren lagann. :)

i liked that sequence, btw. sure, the art suddenly shifted to another style, but it worked for me. :)

a crossover from macross plus! yehey!!... granted, it's only a generic creature from planet eden. but hey, since i haven't heard any sharon apple songs yet, it's the first reference for me. :)

Actually, it's the second one. The first one occur in the Deculture Edition of episode 1. :)

What was the cross-over in episode 1?

Well, technically, it wasn't a crossover, as I mean 'first' as in 'the first reference to Macross Plus'. I'm referring to the scene where Alto, Mikhal and Luca are practicing their program using Isamu's hand sign.

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Well, technically, it wasn't a crossover, as when I mean 'first' as in 'the first reference to Macross Plus'. I'm referring to the scene where Alto, Mikhal and Luca are practicing their program using Isamu's hand sign.

Ah. Sorry. I missed the word "reference" in the post.

Gah. I though i'd missed something. ^_^

"Oh look, Alto! A shooting staaaaAAAAArgh!"

Edited by Alex

ok, question: so, as opposed to other macross series, is it correct to say that alto is fairly aware that ranka has feelings for him?

I think so. Alto tends to be a bit more hesitant with Ranka when Sheryl's around. Note for instance when Ranka and Sheryl first meet in this episode, Sheryl ends up having to prompt Alto to say hello. And he gives a somewhat abrupt, "Yo!" So yeah, I think Alto's aware of Ranka's feelings, and is somewhat careful to try and avoiding hurting her feelings too much. Of course that begs the question of how much Sheryl is aware of Ranka's feelings.

for me, it felt so much like minmei-hikaru DYRL version. alto beginning to take it seriously, while sheryl was only acting and teasing him. the difference being that in this one sheryl actually likes him already, i think. the acting part was mere afterthought. :)

I got the same Minmei-Hikaru vibe from the scene (mentioned several pages back - it's easy to forget that in DYRL Hikaru and Minmei don't meet until after she's already famous). I also think that Sheryl wanted to get her own lip-lock in place before Ranka got a chance too.

:p

I wonder if there will be more connections made to Macross Zero or if S.K. just used it because is was the most recent OVA? I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we here of Macross Zero in the rest of the series.

Both Zero and Frontier are produced by the same studio so its easier to get stock footage. Another thing is (put capitalism hat) to boost Zero DVD sales which will be re-released shortly B))

Both Zero and Frontier are produced by the same studio so its easier to get stock footage. Another thing is (put capitalism hat) to boost Zero DVD sales which will be re-released shortly B))

Yep. There was an add for the blu-ray, box-set of Zero on after the episode finished.

BTW, did anyone else notice the clapper bit after the ad break. Before it claps we see a blue 0D and what i thought was the original Sara, Shin etc. Then it claps and it's the "Cast" with a 25.

Edited by Alex

UNPOPULAR THEORY THAT MAKES NO SENSE NO. 666

Since both the Vf-27 has a built in sword and Brera does too, MAYBE one transforms into the other and vice versa? EH??

In other words, Brera IS the VF-27!!!

Taksraven

Are you saying that VF-27 and Brera is like Blackout and Scorponok(rumored to be still alive on TF2 coz' Scorponok is a part of Blackout)?

:huh:

why did Brera enter the varja battleship, just when alto tried to enter the battleship?

two of them time their attack perfectly.

why?

based on the flow of the forum right now, Brera must be related to Alto.

Brera's main mission is to interfere with any retrieval of varja samples/information, He must be in there to destroy Luca's plane coz' its still transmitting info about the mothership notice the flashy thing on the transmitter ;)

Well, technically, it wasn't a crossover, as I mean 'first' as in 'the first reference to Macross Plus'. I'm referring to the scene where Alto, Mikhal and Luca are practicing their program using Isamu's hand sign.

What about Luca's use of the Ghost Fighter as his unmanned recon jets he controls? I thought those where also Macross Plus references.