Macross Frontier Episode 10 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 10 rating  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 10?

• Positive (Ranka looks so cute in Mao's dress)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Why waste time watching this when I can watch M0?)

Sheryl and clothes? Hmm, I'd swear she wears barely any! I like it that way though ^_^

junior: Bobby work as Ranka's make-up artist, that's probably why he went.

This ep was a lot more straightforward to me than the others (not as easy as ep 9 though) with the exception of the advice Alto says to Ranka early on. I hate evil lines like that >=O

Oh, and I'm going with Brela Sterne in my translation. It's way easier to say and read than Brera and it's likely that one of those Rs is an L.

Oh and Aimo lyrics, finally! Well, "lyrics."

Brela is fine, I think, but do you really want to transliterate ストーン as "Sterne"...?

Brela is fine, I think, but do you really want to transliterate ストーン as "Sterne"...?

Hrm, I swore it was スターン。 I must be reading too fast.

I'll just poke the editor to change it to Stone when she edits tomorrow.

Edit: No, I was right. It IS Sterne.

Edited by Shouta

I also noticed the similarity in the shape and size of the crystal with Sheryl's earring. But Sheryl is wearing hers throughout the episode. So unless the one Alto had survived the destruction of the Vajra mothership and someone picked it up...

(not likely, but we don't know what exactly they are so there is a very very very very very small chance...)

Gee, it only got stir-fried by a Wave Motion Gun . . .

Possible flaw in the "Grace is Brera's boss" argument, though a minor one. The individual that Leon meets with (who is presumably [FTFY] Brera's boss) uses a cellphone to pass information to Leon... but Grace hasn't been seen with one to date. Instead, she appears to use an implant that works as her cellphone. That's not a major objection (it wouldn't be hard to get a cellphone), but it is an interesting thing to note imo.

Why let Leon know you have cyberware? Hell: What's he think of that voice and his contacts "male" body?

So, anyways: What did Grace do when she was nowhere near Frontier? Any other conspiracies, in other fleets, need attending? Or is this just the first one?

And does Galaxy still use The Kite, as y'all call it?

junior: Bobby work as Ranka's make-up artist, that's probably why he went.

Yeah, I know about Bobby's role with her. But as family, one would expect Ozma to be there. Nanase is present, so it seems clear that Ranka was able to bring one or more guests. But it's strange that her brother, who is presumeably the person that she's closest to, didn't appear to be in attendence at her debut.

Gee, it only got stir-fried by a Wave Motion Gun . . .

I didn't say it was likely. I merely pointed out the very remote possibility.

:p

Maybe super dimensional resonance crystals are immune to Wave Motion Guns?

Why let Leon know you have cyberware? Hell: What's he think of that voice and his contacts "male" body?

So, anyways: What did Grace do when she was nowhere near Frontier? Any other conspiracies, in other fleets, need attending? Or is this just the first one?

Cyberware and cellphones - No need to let Leon know about the implanted cellphone. Presumeably any number of other methods to transmit the information could have been chosen that didn't necessarily involve direct contact between the cellphones.

Sheryl went on a tour. So if Grace is indeed the spy, then her espionage work was either specifically aimed at Frontier as the last stop on the tour (which gets back to the "fortuitous coincidence" theory about the timing of the attack on Galaxy), or else the Galaxy fleet wanted to get information regarding all of the other Macross fleets on Sheryl's tour route.

Regarding the Kite - given that the VF-27s have both NUNS and Galaxy symbols on them, I'm pretty confident that Galaxy doesn't use the Kite either.

Edited by junior

Oh, and I'm going with Brela Sterne in my translation. It's way easier to say and read than Brera and it's likely that one of those Rs is an L.

I dunno, personally I find Brera easier to read, probably because it's the name of a car Alfa Romeo that I like.

The VF-27 has both Galaxy and NUNS logo's so I figure they aren't.

Edited by d3v

You want to translate it as Brela even though it says Brera on the show?

Isn't that like when you named Alto "Altoh" then went back to Alto?

I didn't know that image was floating around. Back to Brera it is then. But lordy, if it turns out to be Brela later, I'm gonna rampage over to Japan and punch Kawamori in the face and steal his stuff.

It's a bit similar to the Alto situation. I hadn't seen any images in the show indicating the proper spelling of his name so I went with a spelling that I thought was correct. With the way JPs tend to romanize names or what they intend to be the actual name, it could be anything until official images pop up. For example, I recall folks were saying Lanka Lee early on but it went with Ranka, the name I thought it'd turn out to be.

Foreign names in Japanese are so interesting because of how imprecise the language can be. It could be so many things unless it's a really straightforward conversion.

Edited by Shouta

Watching the sub version now, what is the deal with fate playing a part on Ranka playing Dr. Mao, that Ozma say, also the way he say Mao's name sounds like he actually knew her.

Watching the sub version now, what is the deal with fate playing a part on Ranka playing Dr. Mao, that Ozma say, also the way he say Mao's name sounds like he actually knew her.

Dr. Mao, hmmmm Mao in geek granny form who pursuing her dream to find Shin along with her lost sister who got kidnapped by the Birdman? :huh: I thought the Mayan and their record were wipe out during the Zentraedi holocaust.

Dr. Mao, hmmmm Mao in geek granny form who pursuing her dream to find Shin along with her lost sister who got kidnapped by the Birdman? :huh: I thought the Mayan and their record were wipe out during the Zentraedi holocaust.

From the Compendium Chronology (for the year 2008):

The U.N. government and Anti-U.N. forces secretly deploy the VF-0 and SV-51 respectively while disputing over a recently discovered phenomenon on the island of Mayan in the South Pacific Ocean. (The events are kept secret for at least five decades.)

the director hold the hand of alto once he knew that he is hime. then he allow him to do the dangerous diving stunt, this is not logical, if he so awe by alto that he have to hold his hand and bend down, why would he let him do the canon fodder job?

then it is alto shooting skill on the pet, come on, what is he shooting? i thought he is the varja killing ace. he cannot even shoot a cat?

what wrong with ranka? everytime she is in danger, she see varja?

and ranka voice just does not cut it, in the opening of the show, where the two actor talking. then suddenly ranka talk and jump down from tree. Her voice does not suit the film. It is irrigating type of voice, the type where you want to give her one big slap on the face.

what is sheryl row in the film? i do not know.

Edited by ma2ha3

So they moved the survivors of the Mayan island to the moon or one of the grand cannon bases or the Moon? cause that would have been the only way to keep them all hush hush and for Mao to be able to survive.

aahh, conspiracy theory, so we will know about ASS-1 crashing to our planet in the next 50 years? ^_^

That would explain why they're making Zero movie during Frontier time line.

So they moved the survivors of the Mayan island to the moon or one of the grand cannon bases or the Moon? cause that would have been the only way to keep them all hush hush and for Mao to be able to survive.

Would make sense. There probably wasn't much left of Mayan Island after the three Fuel Air Bombs went off...

the director hold the hand of alto since he knew that he is hime. then he allow him to do the dangerous diving stunt, this is not logical, if he so awe by alto that he have to hold his hand and bend down, why would he let him do the canon fodder job?

Dangerous as opposed to, say, his regular job of flying a VF-25 against Vajra that can't actually be hurt by his gunpod?

then it is alto shooting skill on the pet, come on, what is he shooting? i thought he is the varja killing ace. he cannot even shoot a cat?

More likely, he nicked it a couple of times. A sidearm isn't going to do much to a creature that big. Except maybe piss it off.

what wrong with ranka? everytime she is in danger, she see varja?

Go rewatch episode 3.

Well...as Shin aptly proved after the infamous floating rocks scene, would anyone believe them if they talked? And who would go to Mayan to find out? Six to eight months later, the Zentradi arrive...humanity has bigger fish to fry than some unusual phenomenon that may or may not have happened on Mayan...

How they survived Bodolzaa's attack is a different question, though...

Just saw the Chihiro sub, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the connection between the Hydra (a creature that lives only on Eden) and the Vajra and that we'd soon see the "true terror" of the Vajra.

Unless, those who have been positing that the Vajra were created by a corporation (General Galaxy?) are correct. Then perhaps they altered the Hydra into the glowing eyed freak that we saw, and it was attracted to Ranka for the same reasons that the Vajra are attracted to her (whatever they may be).

It also looks like those who thought the corporation were experimenting on those crystals might be correct, if what they want from exchange from Leon is their research into crystal technology (or more crystals; was hard to figure out what s/he meant).

Anyways, the Hydra's now dead thanks to Brera, but I wonder what the purple-haired man-chick meant by the "true terror" of the Hydra.

Edited by sdf2501

and ranka voice just does not cut it, in the opening of the show, where the two actor talking. then suddenly ranka talk and jump down from tree. Her voice does not suit the film. It is irrigating type of voice, the type where you want to give her one big slap on the face.

Re:Ranka's voice...are you kidding? Megumi nakajima is one of the best casting finds in the entire show! Cute but not cutesy, and utterly believable whether fawning over Alto, dealing with disappointment by bucking herself up, showing pure terror, or just having a chat with her friends.

And Sheryl wouldn't row...she has servants to do that for her. ;)

This fate thing is what make me buy the theory of Mao is actually Ranka's mother, an probably sheryl's too

we do not know if Mao were on the research fleet attacked by the Bajura but Ozma and Ranka were there

How Mao Survives the Zentraedi holocaust... She received blood from the Bird Man, I guess she ends living in laboratories being a study subjetc for a long time before she becomes a docter herself

Edited by Xeros

Sheryl ask the director whether she could write a theme song for Zero, at that time they haven't decided on the theme song. Sheryl maybe have part on the final form of Aimo:Birdman sang by Ranka in the finished movie.

Re:Ranka's voice...are you kidding? Megumi nakajima is one of the best casting finds in the entire show! Cute but not cutesy, and utterly believable whether fawning over Alto, dealing with disappointment by bucking herself up, showing pure terror, or just having a chat with her friends.

And Sheryl wouldn't row...she has servants to do that for her. ;)

To be fair, her acting skills are noticeably inferior to the other voices, which is to expected since this is her first role. I rather like her voice though since she doesn't try to be another of the painfully high pitched monstrosities that seem to infect most of the shows coming out lately.

snapshot20080606154530pj6.jpg

a peek at Yu-chan... the girl's supposed to be Mao.

snapshot20080606155500xb1.jpg

i've lost count of how many outfits Sheryl has...

btw, why is sheryl at the premier on stage, and yet Ranka is seated (until she's called)? -.-

unless sheryl's the one who added that extra part for Aimo ~ Bird Human version.

To be fair, her acting skills are noticeably inferior to the other voices, which is to expected since this is her first role. I rather like her voice though since she doesn't try to be another of the painfully high pitched monstrosities that seem to infect most of the shows coming out lately.

Really? I think she sounds quite natural and unaffected.

Oh well, different strokes, I guess...

i've lost count of how many outfits Sheryl has...

btw, why is sheryl at the premier on stage, and yet Ranka is seated (until she's called)? -.-

unless sheryl's the one who added that extra part for Aimo ~ Bird Human version.

I think it's very likely that she added the extra parts. Plus having someone of Sheryl's stature be associated with a movie probably increases the chances of success by a lot.

seems like Ozma knows more... than we're led to believe.

and oh... its really the director from ep 9!!

snapshot20080606161048bk7.jpg

:blink:

Poor Yuu-chan, did she got eaten by the Hydra? :ph34r:

i was about to ask about that... lol... :ph34r: big lunch for kitty. :)

this message board is taking ages to load for me... :mellow:

I think it's very likely that she added the extra parts. Plus having someone of Sheryl's stature be associated with a movie probably increases the chances of success by a lot.

good point.

but i'd expect Mao's actress (Ranka) to be up there on stage. she's not only a very important character in the movie, but she's also the voice for the movie's theme song.

Edited by Shun

I suppose Sheryl's involvement in the movie would be one akin to a producer/co-producer if she has the limited power to make modifications to the movie.

Seems like she composed the soundtrack or is singing part of it, that plus how famous she is would be big publicity event for the movie, so they would definitely want her there.