Macross Frontier Episode 6 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 6 Rating  

205 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 6?

• Positive (Prelude to action?!?!?!?!?!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative ("Bye Bye Sheryl"? More like "Good Riddance")

Well, you can't keep producing top notch animation when you have a budget for a longer series and one with less funding than a certain bigger named mecha series. Were this a OAV, then I'd be concerned but this is a TV series and I do expect a few drops in 2D animation on some lighter episodes. The CG sequences, for the most part, are consistent and the story didn't seem affected by it.

I agree. I still watch SDF: M, even if the anime is subpar. I watch it for the whole experience, not just visual eye candy.

Well, you can't keep producing top notch animation when you have a budget for a longer series and one with less funding than a certain bigger named mecha series. Were this a OAV, then I'd be concerned but this is a TV series and I do expect a few drops in 2D animation on some lighter episodes. The CG sequences, for the most part, are consistent and the story didn't seem affected by it.

Animation will also be improved for the DVD release anyway, at least I assume it will. Most series are fairly rushed and have animation gaffes, even the top-notch ones.

Animation will also be improved for the DVD release anyway, at least I assume it will. Most series are fairly rushed and have animation gaffes, even the top-notch ones.

Very true. Time is an unfortunate issue with producing a weekly show (If you want to hear whining about costs and time limits, listen to the RDM's BSG podcasts).

They normally correct animation in the DVD releases these days if there is a concern about the quality. Right now their main concern is getting the eps out on time.

So don't let the quality in ep 6 deter you from buying the DVDs.

Technically, it's been NUNS since the end of the first Space War, as far as I can gather from the Japanese wiki. Basically, the old UN Spacy is the group prior and during the first Space War, after it occurs, it's reformed and its first Commander in Chief is Bruno J Global. The JP wiki entry on the First Space War mentions it and the Macross Terminology entry mentions this change over after the war as well.

Okay, I can go with that. I'm admittedly M7-impaired, though, thus: has it ever been referred to as the NUNS prior to Frontier?

post-7714-1210354721_thumb.png

Edited by Bill C.

Okay, I can go with that. I'm admittedly M7-impaired, though, thus: has it ever been referred to as the NUNS prior to Frontier?

I don't think so. I've always seen UN Spacy myself and it wasn't until Frontier that I heard mentions of NUNS. It's been awhile since I've seen Macross 7 though and they may have mentioned them as NUNS instead of UNS, in English I mean.

Edited by Shouta

I don't think so. I've always seen UN Spacy myself and it wasn't until Frontier that I heard mentions of NUNS. It's been awhile since I've seen Macross 7 though and they may have mentioned them as NUNS instead of UNS, in English I mean.

I suspect that is a plot point. There has been "speculation", I've heard on the Japanese wiki that the colony worlds of the UN are in a cold war state. So I suspect that something happened in the decade prior to Frontier to merit the reformation of Spacy as New Spacy...

Since colony worlds are for the most part autonomous, it may have been a split from the general alliance or like in our history, a group of worlds formed an idealogical "block" in the UNG, possibly lead by Eden the oldest of the colony worlds.

We'll have to see how the political landscape of 2059 is revealed...

Good lord, enough with the animation bashing already. Can we talk about the story/plot/characterization instead? This is not a movie or OAV, there is no need to expect perfect animation. It's still MUCH better than MOST American animated shows and yes, I'm serious about that. I watch Transformers and love it and this is MUCH better animated than that.

I have not seen Ep 6 yet, but I am really discouraged from hearing the poor character animation. Has anyone watched Kissdum: Engage Planet which was also produced by Satelight? Shoji Kawamori did the mechanic design. The first 2 or 3 ep were great, from then on the characters were drawn so poorly that it was unwatchable. I was worry when I first found out Satelight was doing MF. I really hope SK or Big West will fix this. :angry:

Basically Satelight got the shaft there when the project creator and original director bailed on them but they had to push on because of contractual obligations. To minimize loses, they subcontracted the animation to Korea or China or something. They are remaking it, or at least reanimating it, though.

However, if you want to see anything else by Satelight, go check Arjuna, Aquarion, Macross Zero, or even some parts of Metropolis. When they have the budget, they kick ass. And even when they don't they still do, like so far in Macross Frontier.

Yes, they are much smaller than the ones 10 years earlier. In a combat situation, it would make sense to me to make them smaller and work in tandem, it would increase maximum range and also be less of a target as opposed to a giant glowing popsicle on the upper fuselage... :p

And also, they may not need to detach in order to transform unlike the YF-19/21 that has to ditch it to transform.

Also about the animation, yes its worse then the first 5 eps but its still a masterpiece compared to western animated shows and if its only for a few eps then its no big problem.

Though i really hope they crank it up a few notches in the next EP with all that action. B))

I hope the battle lasts over multiple EP's too.

Good lord, enough with the animation bashing already. Can we talk about the story/plot/characterization instead? This is not a movie or OAV, there is no need to expect perfect animation. It's still MUCH better than MOST American animated shows and yes, I'm serious about that. I watch Transformers and love it and this is MUCH better animated than that.

I disagree with you on all points. :)

well, the question right now is...

who will win the Princess?

Teh Ranka or Sheryl?

or another yet-unseen female-character?

:lol::ph34r:B))

Right now my vote is on Sheryl, but who knows. The obvious choice seems to be Ranka, which is why I am going against it. Hoping they'll mix it up a bit.

Right now my vote is on Sheryl, but who knows. The obvious choice seems to be Ranka, which is why I am going against it. Hoping they'll mix it up a bit.

It wouldn't really surprise me. It would be an about face from SDFM, where the girl the hero is interested in actually reciprocates...

I expect Ranka to have a much greater destiny than popping out little Altos all over the galaxy...

Haven't read through all 10 pages of this thread, but...

Anybody thought Ozma's meditating during the wait for launch a homage to Macross Plus?

Also, no idea if anybody actually bothered to pause at 19:14, when the screen flashes with their mission briefing (I think)... the whole screen seems to actually contain a blurb on motocross racing...

Did you guys catch that when Luca was polishing the optics of what looked like a Ghost? Hope we finally see Luca get into action with his pet ghosts as stated as one of his VF's abilities next episode :D

Yes, that's Luca's custom Ghost which he can control via his RVF-25

Luca names it ヨハネ (Johanne/John)

Wonder why the RVF-171 need to drop another pod... just in case they get killed?

and regarding Cathy, saw what could be her bdate. if she's 22/23 and its the 12th miss macross f in 2059, that means she was 18/19 when she was runner-up at the 8th miss macross f. how old is Ozma again???! :ph34r:

Edited by Shun

Wonder why the RVF-171 need to drop another pod... just in case they get killed?

More eyes and sensors in dedicated probe than the the add-on parts on the VF-171.

Bah, lets not get too worked up about animation yet.

I'll tell you whats cool about this show and thats the music. Do we know if the first OST disc is going to be Sheryl and Ranka songs or is it also going to include some of the orchestral stuff, because I have really been enjoying the orchestral stuff. (Also the pop stuff too, don't get me wrong.) I especially enjoyed the rousing theme that they played during the last episode just before Sheryl's concert. It was a more "epic" version of the music from the start of Ep2 when Alto rescued Ranka. Great stuff, I WANT IT!!!! B)) B))

Taksraven

Perhaps each fold booster is still only one way use like in Macross Plus, so the VF-171s launched with 2, so they could do a recon of the area and then fold back to report.

Graham

Yeah I don't know about most people, but I wouldn't agree to a one way recon mission to an area where the enemy has just wiped out a whole Fleet. I think most people would probably desire that UN Spacy figure a way for me to get back.

Edited by Noyhauser

Yeah I don't know about most people, but I wouldn't agree to a one way recon mission to an area where the enemy has just wiped out a whole Fleet. I think most people would probably desire that UN Spacy figure a way for me to get back.

I'm partial to the notion that it is to allow the fighter to transform, since in most cases the fold booster would be jetisoned before transformation and / or atmospheric descent...

After watching Ep# 6, it seems to me that Ranka will become more like Minmei, but slightly more humble. Sheryl will be more like Misa who is more mature and stronger in the face of uncertainty. And she seems to understand the seriousness of the situation that they are all in.

I would see that Alto will more likely end up with Sheryl at the end. Those two just have better chemistry and their relationship is deeper. Ranka, from Alto's point of view, is just a good friend; even though Ranka sees it as a lot more than that. And Alto doesn't want to hurt Ranka's feelings when it comes to the subject about Sheryl.

What I would like to see in Episode 7 is what types of valks that Galaxy have in their fleet. Do they have VF-171s and VF-25s? Or are they flying VF-19/21? Do they have another branch of the SMS to fight for them? So many questions.... <_<

I expect Ranka to have a much greater destiny than popping out little Altos all over the galaxy...

I dunno...while at the very first it looked like it'd be Alto-and-Ranka, the last few episodes seem to have pimped Alto-and-Sheryl. Which is why I wonder if what we're getting now is the swerve and Ranka in the end will get her -hime...

Of course, for all we know, Alto could sacrifice himself to save the entire Frontier fleet in the last scene of episode 26...

After watching Ep# 6, it seems to me that Ranka will become more like Minmei, but slightly more humble. Sheryl will be more like Misa who is more mature and stronger in the face of uncertainty. And she seems to understand the seriousness of the situation that they are all in.

I would see that Alto will more likely end up with Sheryl at the end. Those two just have better chemistry and their relationship is deeper. Ranka, from Alto's point of view, is just a good friend; even though Ranka sees it as a lot more than that. And Alto doesn't want to hurt Ranka's feelings when it comes to the subject about Sheryl.

What I would like to see in Episode 7 is what types of valks that Galaxy have in their fleet. Do they have VF-171s and VF-25s? Or are they flying VF-19/21? Do they have another branch of the SMS to fight for them? So many questions.... <_<

Hmm, what if Ranka becomes more like Hikaru? The whole unrequited love angle with respect to Alto...

Yes I am eager to find out more about the Galaxy fleet. Their laws are much different than Frontier and their society could be much more segregated with respect to intermingling between humans and Zentreadi, particularly if they don't have any on board their fleets...

However, if you want to see anything else by Satelight, go check Arjuna, Aquarion, Macross Zero, or even some parts of Metropolis. When they have the budget, they kick ass. And even when they don't they still do, like so far in Macross Frontier.

Frontier is Aquarion with a budget... and no mention of Noein and Hellsing Ultimate when talking about Satelight makes me sad :(

Perhaps each fold booster is still only one way use like in Macross Plus, so the VF-171s launched with 2, so they could do a recon of the area and then fold back to report.

I think they allow the recon to immediately jump back should they run into trouble. Assuming the fold booster can be used multiple time it still take time to charge them.

As for animation, the only problem is a few character drawings and it was worst in the last few minutes of episode 4.

I'm definitely one of the Alto-Sheryl fans myself from the start and it seems that the show is going that way judging by the past few episodes. However, since we're only a quarter of the way through the series, a lot of things are still going to happen. If there's anything to love triangles, scriptwriters are going to have to do some balancing on the next few episodes to get the Alto-Ranka fans what they want. Still, it seems to me that what Ranka needs most is a big dose of puberty. She LOOKS way too young to be with Alto though I think she's only a year younger (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I'm definitely one of the Alto-Sheryl fans myself from the start and it seems that the show is going that way judging by the past few episodes. However, since we're only a quarter of the way through the series, a lot of things are still going to happen. If there's anything to love triangles, scriptwriters are going to have to do some balancing on the next few episodes to get the Alto-Ranka fans what they want. Still, it seems to me that what Ranka needs most is a big dose of puberty. She LOOKS way too young to be with Alto though I think she's only a year younger (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Yes Ranka is 15 while Alto is 16 and Sheryl 17. Also this episode will probably be the biggest gap Sheryl has over Ranka for a while since I expect it to shift over to Ranka again soon to balance things.

Yes Ranka is 15 while Alto is 16 and Sheryl 17. Also this episode will probably be the biggest gap Sheryl has over Ranka for a while since I expect it to shift over to Ranka again soon to balance things.

alto is 17... its been confirmed in ep 4

Edited by Tsuchiro

I do expect that to happen. The writers will have to make Ranka as equal as a love interest to Alto as is Sheryl. The triangle has to be equally balanced to keep the drama.

We can tell from previous episodes that Alto wants to protect Ranka and cares for her. But we cannot tell right now if Alto sees Ranka as anything more than just a good friend. He does seem to be very playful with Sheryl and Sheryl is vulnerable in front of Alto.

But seriously, Ranka and Sheryl just can't compete with the VF-25 when it comes to Alto's love interest. :lol: