SDF tv animeigo vs new remastered

boinger

Hi:

I was just wondering if anybody picked up the The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Memorial Box [Limited Pressing] dvd set.

I have my animeigo sdf tv dvd box set when it was first released for $400!

Is there a big difference in video or audio quality with the new remastered sdftv set?

boinger

Edited by boinger

I have both and I never really noticed any difference. The subs are a different translation, and the English audio is (obviously) very different, but the picture quality and Japanese audio are, I believe, the same.

I've never done a thorough comparison, though, so I might be wrong.

I have both and I never really noticed any difference. The subs are a different translation, and the English audio is (obviously) very different, but the picture quality and Japanese audio are, I believe, the same.

I've never done a thorough comparison, though, so I might be wrong.

you really gotta click on the link in boinger's post, dude. or else, as the great Inigo Montoya will say:

I don't think it means what you think it means... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
The ADV Japanese audio is inferior to the AnimEigo release.

Yes we know, but you failed to really speak for the topic :p

Seeing how the japanese DVD's are 400 dollars which is basically 10 bucks and some change per episode, I don't think I care to know how different the US and Japanese do their remasters.

It's okay :p you are forgiven.

I was just thinking about this as I reread my post. I think I know what makes the japanese remaster so much different then the AnimEgo US edition, the Japanese one is laced in gold......has to be for that price.

Well, I hope some generous Macross fan will do the same video upgrade that the VIP bittorrent group are doing with Macross 7 series. The remastering job on M7 is very nice. Doesn't change the singing though.

I just saw clips of the Macross 7 TV Boxed Set remastered edition and compared to my M7 HK TV Box Set Edtion and the Central Anime subbed set, the remastered edition is way awesome in terms of quality! So fricken clean upscaled on my LCD TV!

FYI M7 25th Remaster >> HK Box Set >> Central Anime in terms of quality. Subs wise, it is the exact opposite! :)

If the 25th Aniversary SDF-1 set is as clean and upgraded as the M7 set, I might need to get it as a backup to my AnimEigo set and just rip the subs to work on my computer.

If good subs exist for M7, I might also need to consider that remaster set as well! Can't shake Planetdance from my head now!

Ikusei! It's Saturday Night, .....

Keith can chime in with the rest of the lyrics! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen any srt files floating around for the new remastered Mac7 raws, shame cos then it'd be perfect. Then again, I can't find any of the extras either.

And I'm also dying to know about the quality of the SDF Remaster. I guess everyone in the English-speaking countries who is a fan already has one or two versions of this without having to put down 400 bucks for another.

Shame. (Again).

Haven't seen any srt files floating around for the new remastered Mac7 raws, shame cos then it'd be perfect. Then again, I can't find any of the extras either.

And I'm also dying to know about the quality of the SDF Remaster. I guess everyone in the English-speaking countries who is a fan already has one or two versions of this without having to put down 400 bucks for another.

Shame. (Again).

I forget where I read - I think at AnimeOnDVD - the R2 SDF Macross TV Remaster Set is supposedly far superior to AnimEigo's set. Better, more correct colors and none of the ugly grain that AnimEigo infused back in. Obviously the Japanese had better masters to work with. The only negative of the Japanese set is that it doesn't come with English subtitles or ADV's English dub. Oh, and the high price. :)

Edited by Vifam7

Makes one wonder if Animeigo sold their copies of the masters back to Bandai visual along with the remastered audio?

The masters they created are still their own, since they did the work themselves and there is no copyright infringement if they sell their work "back" to the Japanese rights holders...

It would be quite shrewd if it were true and confirmed... B))

I hope so...

I've seen no news about this, but after investing a ton of money into restoring Macross, I worry that Animeigo more or less lost their shirt on it. Just from the fact that they no longer sell it, and it's on RT.com for forty bucks...well, that doesn't sound good. Does anyone know if they made a profit or not...?

Of course, their latest big project is Yawara, so if they're looking to make some fast bucks, they're not going about it the right way...

Well, they got my 250 or 260 bucks... whatever it was. :lol:

I got my set from their "fire" sale when they were blowing out their stock before HG took over their existing inventory. So they got my $120.00 (1/2 price). I'll probably pick up the HG cheapo set as a back up to my AE set...

I picked up the AnimEigo 3 boxed sets for myself and another fan ~ 120 USD shipped 2 years ago and do worry about DVD rot. I might pickup the 40 USD set as a backup instead of the 25th Japanese Remaster SDF:Macross DVD set now as no one has side by side comparisions

It also looks like there is a possibility of a Blu-ray edition, with Plus and Frontiers going Blu-ray! If true, I will pickup the entire Macross Saga on Blu-ray!

Just need to find good subs to load up with the Blu-rays.

Edited by Neova

It' was like 287. I remember because it was the most expensive thing I ever bought at the time and I was in NC so I had to pay tax. Though I just paid off my car and not too long ago my student loan, so it's minute in comparison now.