SDF tv animeigo vs new remastered

boinger

Audio tracks don't take up that much space actually. At least in terms of video. Especially at the low bitrates most US anime companies use. I swear, it's digital barbarism over here. Too many of those "DVD can hold up to 4 hours" people. Like the FUNI 4 disc releases with 6-7 episodes a disc (which I've had argued to me is the same as 4 episodes on a DVD5, assuming for a DVD9, which is still a meagre gig an episode).

Your biggest issue seems to be my greatest source of satisfaction. I guess it all comes down to personal preference, and since Macross is such an old show, I think we all have our own way of remembering things and how we would like to see them today.

That was my basic conclusion as well. It comes down to just how much of a heavy hand one prefers in the restoration. Aside from the EE and splice removal, Animeigo seems far less "messed with" was best as I can describe it. To each their own I guess.

Color is something I have yet to be particularly picky about, I just love that the R2s upscale so well and like you've said, not DNR'd to death! The reason I've brought up the LDs is because of the potential that it was mastered from younger film. I don't know analog video as well as today's digital formats...would these sources be interlaced?

See, color restoration is the toughest part. In animation particularly, color is everything to how the show looks in my opinion. It's part of the art. So that's probably where are differences come from.

The AMV is very encouraging for a LD rip. Though they probably are interlaced (the biggest problem the ADV version has, despite a higher bitrate). I'm not sure, as I never owned the format, ignorantly thinking it was digital in my youth, when I truly hated everythting digital. I'm a big fan of analog, though bringing it into the digital realm is a bit of a challenge. The "younger film" concept is somewhat valid, given the slightly better saturation in Robotech, which I'd assume came from an earlier master. It wouldn't be perfect though. Looking at what Animeigo shows as as before, they worked with a print, evidence by the red bloom, instead of the negative. It was probably the best they could get (I think I remember them saying the print was in better shape than the negative).

You should check out the latest Ghostbusters BD release. It has film grain from hell! When I say that I mean that as a compliment, I think you would understand...

Not all Hollywood releases pour it on. Glory looks excellent for example, and I've heard good things about Braveheart and Forrest Gump, etc. Then you have stuff like the Star Trek films. 4 abd 6 in particular had their grain structures ripped out. I posted a photo here where the crew looks like wax figures. Only 2 and maybe 1 looks decent, though 2 looks horribly blue.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Audio tracks don't take up that much space actually. At least in terms of video. Especially at the low bitrates most US anime companies use. I swear, it's digital barbarism over here. Too many of those "DVD can hold up to 4 hours" people. Like the FUNI 4 disc releases with 6-7 episodes a disc (which I've had argued to me is the same as 4 episodes on a DVD5, assuming for a DVD9, which is still a meagre gig an episode).

It isn't about space, it is about bitrate. When I added subs to one of the R2s, I decided that there was plenty of room for more audio tracks (in terms of MB and disc space). To my chagrin, I could only add a single mono track because the video was maxed out in terms of bitrate. The bitrate for DVD spec tops out under 10,000 kbs/s...and that bitrate total counts all the audio tracks, even the ones not in use. ADV uses a lower bitrate to accomodate more audio tracks to keep it with DVD specifications. The R2 video bitrate is so high it can really only accomodate one quality audio track.

Edited by OptimusX