RIP Roy Scheider (1932 - 2008)

Roy Scheider, a two-time Oscar nominee best known for his role as a police chief in the blockbuster movie "Jaws," died Sunday. He was 75.

Scheider died at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokesman David Robinson said. The hospital did not release a cause of death.

However, hospital spokeswoman Leslie Taylor said Scheider had been treated for multiple myeloma at the hospital's Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy for the past two years.

:(

I will always remember him as Dr. Floyd from 2010: Odyssey Two.

I've always loved Roy for his "everyman" quality... to me he really "sold" the roles he was in because he just had this certain je ne se quoi about him, this tangible "this is what a real life hero or good guy would look and act like" sort of vibe. Which is why he played such a convincing cop. Be it Det. Buddy Russo, Cheif Martin Brody or Officer Frank Murphy, he had the same panache, the same fatherly charm and believability. Which is made all the more strange by his cold and fearsome portrayal of crime boss Fyodor Chevchenko in Third Watch. He was downright frightening and intimidating... so "un Schieder".

The guy was an all around good actor and he will be missed.

He was one of the most talented actors I have seen on screen. I was simply amazed how he filled the role as the Russian mob boss on Third Watch. He seems to fit into his roles well. In the Rainmaker, he played the sleezy corporate President well. But alas, I will remember him for his roles in Blue Thunder, The French Connection, 2010: Odyssey Two and the Sea Quest Capt. RIP Roy.