Does the 1/48 line have a future?

Maximiria

Yamato are killing me. I like the near-perfection of the 1/48 but all the stuff I _really_ want is only available in 1/60. Have they abandoned the 1/48 line? I'm NOT buying both.

Yamato obviously wants me to buy 1/60, exactly how good are they? Can any of them match the dyrl 1/48 for articulation? I'm especially interested in the hands, they need to be able to hold various objects not just he gunpod.

Is there ANYTHING available in 1/48 besides the vf-1?

Edited by Maximiria

They've just announced the new 1/60 line which will have all the improvements of the 1/48 and then some. I'd wait for this new 1/60 line to come out because according to Graham, the 1/48 line is dead except for an occasional re release.

That, and he said that Yamato decided that they want all their perfect transforming Macross toys to be 1/60 scale.

And this new line is also made to include two-seater variants so if I were you, I'd wait till these come out.

And no, there is NOTHING out there in 1/48 besides the VF-1.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

They've just announced the new 1/60 line which will have all the improvements of the 1/48 and then some. I'd wait for this new 1/60 line to come out because according to Graham, the 1/48 line is dead except for an occasional re release.

That, and he said that Yamato decided that they want all their perfect transforming Macross toys to be 1/60 scale.

And this new line is also made to include two-seater variants so if I were you, I'd wait till these come out.

And no, there is NOTHING out there in 1/48 besides the VF-1.

-Kyp

Actually no removable nosecone with exposed radar, or moving wing flaps. The 1/48 will probably not have as much releases in coming years, but I would expect occasional reissues of fan favorites, and new paint jobs with high sales potential for fan favorite VF-1s yet to be released.

Also, the new 1/60 is actually more articulated than the 1/48.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I think the lack of removable nose cones and no moving wing flaps is a good thing myself, it's less to break or go wrong in my honest opinion.

But if the new guy here hasn't seriously started collecting Valks yet, then he's definitely better off waiting for these new 1/60 VF-1's to come out, I believe.

-Kyp

No future. Seriously--look at 1/60 VF-1's. 100 bucks. But a 1/60 SV-51? 200 bucks. Same scale, different size valk.

Now, a 1/48 VF-1. 200 bucks. 1/48 Sv-51? 300 or 400 bucks. How many do you think would sell at that price? How many people have room for such a thing? (My lone 1/48 F-14 sits on top of a dresser, overhanging on all sides--and an Sv-51 is much bigger)

I think that the 1/48 was a special scale so they could have the VF-1 in a big scale. But I dont think there was never anything planned to follow it up with anything. I'm so glad they did it. There's no way I would ever give any of mine up. But I'm all ready for the new 1/60 VF-1 line and everything else in scale with it... as far as classic Macross.

I think that the 1/48 was a special scale so they could have the VF-1 in a big scale. But I dont think there was never anything planned to follow it up with anything. I'm so glad they did it. There's no way I would ever give any of mine up. But I'm all ready for the new 1/60 VF-1 line and everything else in scale with it... as far as classic Macross.

I don't think that the 1/48 scale was just accommodating for a larger scale VF-1 at all, I believe that it was just retrospect. You can't expect Yamato to be THAT smart. :p

I think Yamato have been able to modify their toy making tech into smaller scales, thus making it possible to somewhat improve on the previous 1/60 scales and give the whole Macross line a uniform scale.

I don't think that the 1/48 scale was just accommodating for a larger scale VF-1 at all, I believe that it was just retrospect. You can't expect Yamato to be THAT smart. :p

I think Yamato have been able to modify their toy making tech into smaller scales, thus making it possible to somewhat improve on the previous 1/60 scales and give the whole Macross line a uniform scale.

Wtf? I'm in perth too, small world eh? Any shops sell macross stuff?

I would hope that they solved the box issue too. Are they downgrading the box size? Honestly, Half the box size would suffice, it would cost them a bit in the beginning but surely later they would save heaps of storage space themselves.

Smaller boxes = more to ship in one go = more money for purchasing multiples.

:D

Other than the occassional reissues, no the 1/48 is dead. Yet, I will not let go of my collection of 1/48s. I think Yamato should have been continued in this scale, just improved on it. There is an overabundance of room to where this scale can be perfected and made far superior to the "NEW" 1/60.

In any case, I too will fall victim to Yamato's tactics and purchase the entire "NEW" 1/60 line.

I just hope that after Yamato is done with the "NEW" 1/60, they don't decide to produce a "NEW" 1/48. <_<

i'll pick up a reissue when they decide to release the next one. it'll be my first 1/48 as i'll stick to 1/60. was thinking about getting a vf-1s hikaru a while back too.

I think they should go up to 1/32

I would go for a 1/24 or even a 1/18 scale super detailed valk.

But honestly, after just watching Macross Frontier Episode one, all I want is one of those new mechas! HOLY CRAP are those cool!!!! I hope to whatever benevolent forces exist in this psychotic universe that Yamato will make these or that Bandai blows our minds - and soon!

You guys act like the 1/48s were a failure... I have more of these in my house than I have outlets!

I love the 1/48! My 1/48 Milia is my favorite valk! I am not going to let mine go. You would have to pry it from my dead cold hands!!! :lol:

Edit: and I do not think that the 1/48 was or is a failure at all. I think that it is the best VF-1 to date. I am a quite a bit excited about the new 1/60 line but just about as much as I am pissed off about it. I just hope to get a VF-1D. Then it is Macross Frontier Valks for me (of course with some other stuff in between, GNU macross Plus battroids, etc...).

Edited by miriya

I'm not pissed off about the 1/60 2.0 at all! After they kept releasing the new VFs in that scale I hated looking at the few I did buy and kept in the boxes. Thse things are hideoous. I'm glad they're remaking them with the improvements that bugged me about the 1/48s... But as I look at the 1/48s I'm still happy with them. All I wanted was to have all the 1/55s in every scheme, everything beyond this point is pure gravy.

I'm not pissed off about the 1/60 2.0 at all! After they kept releasing the new VFs in that scale I hated looking at the few I did buy and kept in the boxes. Thse things are hideoous. I'm glad they're remaking them with the improvements that bugged me about the 1/48s... But as I look at the 1/48s I'm still happy with them. All I wanted was to have all the 1/55s in every scheme, everything beyond this point is pure gravy.

Agreed that the original 1/0 version of the 60's were an abomination. We have our deluxe scale 1/48 VF-1s, and now we will get to have much improved 1/60s that are to the 1/48 level. I'll be glad to get both.

Please redesign the boxes Yamato, please I beg ya......

Wait I feel the exact same way, except thinking the old 1/60 was hideous. Whenever I pick up the old 1/60, I keep thinking it would have been awesome with less diecast, perfect transformation, and a better sculpt. So happy now that we are getting what I wished for. The 1/48 will still be the biggest VF-1 with the most working features and most intricately detailed FAST pack kits and armor accessories. I don't see it being irrelevant anytime soon.

Agreed that the original 1/0 version of the 60's were an abomination....

I respectfully disagree that the first version 1/60s were an "abomination". They were still a damn sight finer in sculpt than anything previously produced, at least in toy form. Sure, the 1/48 toys made it apparent that they could have had better details, but I'd still sell them far short of abomination status.

I will say though, that with an updated and improved 1/60 coming around, I won't have a lot of use for my 1/48s and old 1/60 VF-1's. The new toy in 1/60 will fit my bill with much more conservation of space :D

Merry Christmas all!

I respectfully disagree that the first version 1/60s were an "abomination". They were still a damn sight finer in sculpt than anything previously produced, at least in toy form. Sure, the 1/48 toys made it apparent that they could have had better details, but I'd still sell them far short of abomination status.

Yes it was finer than most, certainly the toynami masterpieces, but in comparision the thing was an abomination.

Edited by kensei

Ugh, this debate drives me nuts.

Does the scale really matter all that much? The 1/48 line of VF-1 is AMAZING. If you have them, then keep them. They're good toys. So the YF-19, VF-0, SV-51, YF-21 and so on are in 1/60 scale. Is it really so important to have your VF-1s and VF-0s in the same scale?

Does the scale really matter all that much? The 1/48 line of VF-1 is AMAZING. If you have them, then keep them. They're good toys. So the YF-19, VF-0, SV-51, YF-21 and so on are in 1/60 scale. Is it really so important to have your VF-1s and VF-0s in the same scale?

Yes. I like being able to display a whole series togeather in the same scale. I still intend to keep my Skull Leader 1/48 along with my 1J. I like the large size and detail, but I really am happy a new 1/60th version of the VF-1 is being made.

Yes, it's important for me. 1/48 line is staying where it is in my display cabinet. Has a whole shelf dedicated to it. :-)

But my other 1/60's (Q-Rau, zero, 51, 19 and soon 21) will look awsome next the the new line of VF-1 *60's!

lol my VT-1 60* will be totally outdone soon, poor little guy. lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

is there any confirmation as to what price range these valks would be priced at? i am pretty sure one big reason why most of us here get all hype up with the latest development is because we're expecting it to be priced at significantly cheaper than the 1/48s..

but knowing the very reason why the 1/48 valks are expensive in the first place (i skimmed throught the newbie faq thread and read about the justification for the 1/48's price) and having it implemented on an even smaller 1/60 VF-1.. then don't you think it's a possiblity that these upcoming valks could be more expensive than the 1/48s?? if such this the case, then this is not all good news.. perhaps for the budget conscious fans..

is there any confirmation as to what price range these valks would be priced at? i am pretty sure one big reason why most of us here get all hype up with the latest development is because we're expecting it to be priced at significantly cheaper than the 1/48s..

but knowing the very reason why the 1/48 valks are expensive in the first place (i skimmed throught the newbie faq thread and read about the justification for the 1/48's price) and having it implemented on an even smaller 1/60 VF-1.. then don't you think it's a possiblity that these upcoming valks could be more expensive than the 1/48s?? if such this the case, then this is not all good news.. perhaps for the budget conscious fans..

No way in hell man, if that were the case, no one would buy them. Thats market suicide for Yamato. I think its under $100, but the majority of members here think its either $100 or less. There are less moving control surfaces, and plus a smaller size, so less parts to tool, and probably simpler, so it will cost considerably less than $100.