ATTN: YAMATO, START SEALING YOUR BOXES

do not disturb

SEALED BOXES  

115 members have voted

1. 1. YAMATO NEEDS TO SEAL THEIR BOXES

• YES
    • NO

One NO vote here.

Not because I care for the environment (but what the hell, a few less plastic seal ain't going to save the planet any way..., let's burn to hell with our Yammies...), but there is something about unsealing a new toy that make me feel I have just devalued a perfect toy, and I don't mean monetary value alone. If there is no seal, as long as I look after my toy well, it is always a perfect toy for me. For the same reasons I hate toy accessories that are attached to the plastic carcass.

Edited by Mowe

One NO vote here.

Not because I care for the environment (but what the hell, a few less plastic seal ain't going to save the planet any way..., let's burn to hell with our Yammies...), but there is something about unsealing a new toy that make me feel I have just devalued a perfect toy, and I don't mean monetary value alone. If there is no seal, as long as I look after my toy well, it is always a perfect toy for me. For the same reasons I hate toy accessories that are attached to the plastic carcass.

Finally we here from the other side. And your reasoning is not too bad there mate. :ph34r:

i prefer them sealed so that i don't have the feeling that someone might have opened the packaging and carefully transformed the figure and put it back to sell as misb/unopened.

One NO vote here.

thats makes sense to some degree. i have certain toys i haven't opened just because i know if i do, the price will drop.

the way yamato is doing it, its a free for all for anyone and everyone to sell some janky used POS as new. not to say that seals prevent toys from breaking(stuff happens that we can't control and theres no such thing as perfection) but it'll certainly keep the dishonest sellers in check. if these were $50, i'd wouldn't give 2 sh!ts but these are high priced collectibles, i want some sense of security that the item i purchased was untampered with.

Not the biggest of issues for me personally.

But if it's just some small circular holofoil seals on the four tabs of the your typical Yamato box, I wouldn't mind it that much.

Anything more obtrusive than that though, and I'd get annoyed (why act like Toynami and care more about the packaging than actual product/toy inside it?).

Anything more obtrusive than that though, and I'd get annoyed (why act like Toynami and care more about the packaging than actual product/toy inside it?).

This whole idea isn't about the package though, it IS about the product/toy inside. If the seals are unbroken then we would be more certain that the toy inside hadn't been tampered with or returned as a damaged product and resold as new. I couldn't care less about the condition of the box as long as the $200+ toy inside is perfect.

And I'm not sure where they Toynami references are coming from because they don't really have tamper-proof seals either. From what I remember of the MPCs I used to have it would have been very easy to remove the toys and put them back in the box without any indication that it had been done. Sure, they have snazzy boxes, but that's not what we're talking about.

Actually, I'm in agreement with you, eriku.

But my point was that if Yamato decides to seal their boxes, I'd like it to be in an efficient, least obtrusive manner. Instead of having Yamato wrap the boxes in a unique custom shrink-wrap or designing some new-fangled, tamper-proof box, I'd rather they focus most of their efforts on making the toy inside as awesome as possible.

Rather than Yamato brainstorming how to make their packages more tamper-proof, I'd rather they focus on making the toys themselves free of any QC and design flaws. If given a choice between the two, I'm sure most of us would prefer Yamato focusing on quality control, rather than box security.

Which is why I was riffing on Toynami: they tend to focus on their box and packaging more than they do the toy itself.

Look, I "get" why people would want Yamato to seal their boxes. But I just want Yamato to do it in a simple, yet effective manner (I think the holofoil dots on the four box tabs seems to be the best way to go.). Any more effort than that would be IMHO wasted energy and effort on Yamato's part.

The trick is doing the sealing cheap and simple, but also unique.

With enough care, anyone could replace a piece of tape or reapply some glue. With the right equipment and materials, anyone could re-shrink-wrap a package to make it appear factory-new.

The seal (whatever form it may be) has to be unique enough that it's difficult to duplicate and also tamper-proof. Otherwise, it fails in its job to indicate a product as MISB.

As I said earlier, I understand what the issue and problem is. But I'd rather Yamato focus first on toy quality and design issues before tackling the box security issue.

Sealed. And Do Not Disturb's thread was the cement over the nailed shut coffin for me. Alarm bells rang for me when I originally found out how Toy Wave ships without boxes unless you ask and pay for it. Then I read about some members paying for quick shipping only to receive it over a month later. Now this recent fiasco. Glad, I went with Tam at Twin Moons. :)

DnD's thread did really bring home for me the need for the valks to have a seal of some sort on the box. It already bothered me in the past anyway. But even more so now, with crap like this happening.

Sealed. And Do Not Disturb's thread was the cement over the nailed shut coffin for me. Alarm bells rang for me when I originally found out how Toy Wave ships without boxes unless you ask and pay for it. Then I read about some members paying for quick shipping only to receive it over a month later. Now this recent fiasco. Glad, I went with Tam at Twin Moons. :)

DnD's thread did really bring home for me the need for the valks to have a seal of some sort on the box. It already bothered me in the past anyway. But even more so now, with crap like this happening.

true, you might get it 4 months later than everyone else, but at least it will be new and carefully packaged.

<shrug> I shopped with them quite a bit. But I didn't appreciate not getting any updates on my order (without me emailing first) even though the toy came out... what, in august, september? And it took until december for him to get it and ship it. Just left me feeling "meh".

Anyways, nothing to do with this thread.

but I think some holo-foil stickers on the flaps would be just fine. Nice, simple but effective. I've also bought a "MIB" yamato off of ebay, that was not. In that case, it was through one of those guys who sell your stuff for you, and he didn't know any better. But if yamato did seal their boxes, probably wouldn't have happened.

Edited by eugimon

The only way the seal will work is if they seal it with something that you cant get off the shelves at your Local Newsagents. Crappy cheap tape can be replicated. Plain old glue on the box tabs can be replicated. it has got to be a holoseal or some sort of special heatshrink wrap.

There is something to be said about using an exacto knife on a fresh sealed box though regardless on if the contents is Macross or not. :)

Not having been previously burned, my inclination is "no."

That said I voted yes for those of you who value MISB. I'm an opener myself but definitely don't want to get burned on someone else's ghetto fabuluousness.

I'm more inclined at siding with the NO..

primary because of reason, that i myself am more of a MISB collector, but at the same time.. i can't seem to prevent myself from getting hold of these neat stuffs.. i didn't pay a great deal of $$$ just for aesthetics! it's like me getting sufficed with both craving for touching the actual toy and placing them back at their boxes a few minutes after and still make it look like i haven't even took it out of the box at all..

it's just a matter of how you see it i guess.. on likes of me, it's somehow a good thing... but also true with those pesky sellers who likes to mess up with their items! mind setting, i get to think more of the former.. besides, there will always be some risk of getting not so good items whether it's sealed or not.. for online purchases..

by the way.. i just finally got my MAX AND MIRIA Super 1Js directly from japan!

and i'm not sure if this is the case when you buy these items personally from there.. the boxes are actually partly sealed in plastic, preventing store staffs or just anybody to open it:

2123171068_7f5d378f93.jpg

asked the store staff about it, and she said it already was like that when they got the stocks..

by the way.. i just finally got my MAX AND MIRIA Super 1Js directly from japan!

and i'm not sure if this is the case when you buy these items personally from there.. the boxes are actually partly sealed in plastic, preventing store staffs or just anybody to open it:

asked the store staff about it, and she said it already was like that when they got the stocks..

considering i've owned every yamato release, i can tell you now, they've never used that kind of wrapping at yamato.

vendors will sometimes shrinkwrap stuff to make it seem like its new.

At least with the YF-19 w/FD, the boxes are not sealed in plastic. I got to choose mine out of the boxes that Tam, at Twin Moons, had still fresh in their shipping boxes from wherever he got them. Now that was an awesome sight. :D A buttload of YF-19s in one place. That brought a biiiig smile to my face, which was made bigger because I was bringing one back home with me. :D

If the store didn't do it, then maybe their distributor sealed them. Valkyrie-Exchange usually receives sealed Yamato cardboard cases full of 1/48's, while the cardboard shipping case is sealed the toys within aren't.

i bought a vf-0a once and the pilot figure was in the cockpit. i guess the person from the (non-hlj) overseas online store forgot to put him back in the clear plastic after playing with the figure or something. :lol: this is how easy for sellers to sell the figures as brand new when they have been opened, transformed, or used. the outer box and inner trays are so easy to open without tampering. in fact maybe all the qc issues are due to the fact that we are getting played with broken toys sold as new. :lol: j/k.

i bought a vf-0a once and the pilot figure was in the cockpit. i guess the person from the (non-hlj) overseas online store forgot to put him back in the clear plastic after playing with the figure or something. :lol: this is how easy for sellers to sell the figures as brand new when they have been opened, transformed, or used. the outer box and inner trays are so easy to open without tampering. in fact maybe all the qc issues are due to the fact that we are getting played with broken toys sold as new. :lol: j/k.

not "maybe" at least according to one seller. ^_^