New Robotech comic

i was looking through Wildstorms website today, and say this solicitation for a new RT book.....I guess it something of note, since its not a Macross based book....

pic_lrgroboti1cvr.jpg

Written by Jay Faerber and Ken Siu-Chong; art by Takeshi Miyazawa and Omar Dogan; covers by Yoshitaka Amano and Cully Hamner

A new 5-issue miniseries begins! Robotech's New Generation launches into action as a large-scale war erupts against the Invid. In the year 2038, Earth has fallen to the fearsome forces of the mysterious Invid race, but Admiral Hunter's expeditionary force is about to unleash its first strike to reclaim their homeworld! Plus, Part 1 of the backup story "Mars Base One," set 35 years earlier as the United Earth forces begin building its first top-secret colony on Mars.

This is just speculation here, but I'm guessing Yellow Dancer is supposed to be old here and maybe he's supposed to be recounting the story.

That could be he looks like he's got a cold and a stuffy nose. *sniffle*

Maybe they are trying to make him look "old".

Edited by the white drew carey

Yoshitaka Amano did the character design for Mospeada. He had done previous work for DC when he illustrated a Sandman book by Neil Gaiman. So it was probably easy for them to get him again. And yes, it is a great touch. I'll be getting these books just for the covers if anything.

So we get to see HG's new Gamma fighter again, eh?

Unlikely...as the Gamma is supposed to be a new mecha by 2044 or so. We will likely see its preproduction predecessor...the AF-03 Bat. Will be interesting if we see the VF/B-5 Condor's in action (and whether or not they link to the AF-Bat like speculation has been leaning too). Those are AF-03 Bat's on the cover BTW.

This looks like it will be telling Lancer's story about the first real attempt by the Earth Reclamation Force's to land on Earth and dislodge the Invid. Hopefully...the story won't suck.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Also, didn't Yoshitaka Amano help create Mospeada. For HG and Wildstorm to get him to do the covers doesn't count for something? :unsure:

I believe he was responsible for the character designs. It is interesting that they got him for the cover, but I still don't like that Lancer. Maybe it's just the shading that throws it off.

Don't the Invid and the Cyclone rider know that they could get runover by cars playing in the street like that?! :lol:

Yeah, and I've seen better covers. What happened to good covers that actually gave a glimpse of what the story inside was about. Everything is a pin up now!

I hope the story in this one doesn't suck the way Love and War does. But I don't have a good feeling on this. After all this series will contain two stories like Love and War(one of the reasons that series is bad). They can't leave Macross alone can they(the other part of the story is about Mars Base during the Macross Saga portion of RT). Bah. I'll wait till I get a few reviews before I pass judgement but my thoughts are negative on this one.

Damn... the original character designer for Mospeada draws cover art for a new comic... and it gets blasted mercilessly. Seriously, I'm very, very glad I'm not an artist.

I say if anybody has a right to determine how Lancer should look - it would be Amano.

Damn... the original character designer for Mospeada draws cover art for a new comic... and it gets blasted mercilessly. Seriously, I'm very, very glad I'm not an artist.

I say if anybody has a right to determine how Lancer should look - it would be Amano.

CROM laughs at your irony!

Maybe he only did the rough pencils/layout for the cover, and this "Cully Hamner" character was the actual one to butcher Lancer?

Hamner does another book for WS called "Red". Its a book written by Warren Ellis and Hamner does a pretty good Job on it (its about an Ex-CIA hitman who the agency wants dead, a great read by the way). but that title has a more "noir" type feel to it, and i think that kind of art work is more his style. WS seems to just have placed him on the wrong book with this one.....

I wonder how an Invid invasion would fair against the UN Spacy of 2038...

Given that the Invid have spit-ball range weaponry...not too well. The Invid actually never completely dominated the planet in Robotech....and it took them a long time to even achieve the modest level that they did...

The only reason that they sucessfully took over the Earth in Robotech is because the United Earth Forces (ASC and Pioneer/REF) had been mauled by the Masters. Bring them back in 2029 ahead of the Masters....and the Regiss would have been running like a bat out of hell.