Street Fighter 4

wow, that anime looks pretty cool, but I'd rather much have the team that did street fighter alpha instead to make that anime. The characters in this look all chunky, and less detailed. I'd still watch it though, cause ryu finally fights akuma in this one. ^_^

It almost looks like this animation is for the SF4 home version (PS3/Xbox360) and not for the Arcade nor a stand alone animation show. If the entire game has this type of high quality animation for story telling, then SF4 sure is a winning combo to me. Don't mind the animation characters look a little chunky. Ryu & Ken got much nicer faces there than the CG trailers (maybe CG stuff for Arcade version?). Really liking this animated trailer.

• 3 months later...

Now I have seen one of the alpha movies but I just didn't like it as much as the animated movie for some reason.

It was the way each character was used close to how I imagine them to be if they were real people: vega(claw guy) is a psycho who assasinates people, Cammy is a manchurian candidate, Balrog (boxing dude) is linked to a lot of criminal activity, chun li isn't primarily just fighting for the sake of it but trying to capture bison and bring him to justice, blanka is a circus freak (mutation hasn't given him much other career choice), Zangief is a prowrestler in illegal fights, feilong is exactly what bruce lee would be if he was alive now :D, Deejay is definitely street punk who only cares about his music (we don't even see him fight) and ken is bothered by ryu leaving him behind because now that he has relaxed his skill is probably getting worse over time even though his opponents are strong. (him fighting in a controlled environment where fighting is merely a sport for spectators to watch and there are rules in it as opposed to the fights to the death that ryu probably get involved in)

I guess what I am saying is it wasn't a kiddy approach to the franchise. Even Bison comes off as purely in it to find strong bodyguards. There is no tournament! It's just some fascist guy kidnapping people against their free will and through mind control using them as puppets to carry out orders. The animated movie story wise is everything the hollywood movie should have been imo. Characters like guile motivated purely by revenge is exactly how you would imagine the main character in many of those american action hero movies would act. (ie you know this is street fighter's version of the punisher, where he is not that different from bison in terms of wanting to murder him for his own reasons instead of focus on the job of taking down shadowloo - but noo.. they had to make it funny instead of serious to appeal to 13 year olds!)

That youtube vid seems to be the right idea: fleshing out who ryu is and giving us info about him and akuma (is that his name in the japanese game?) and the guy who akuma beat.

Hollywood never allowed for that in its live action movies. And you can't say they won't let asians have the role of the main character: what about all those jackie chan movies? No excuse: Ryu should be an important character because officially that is who you use in the first street fighter. Nothing against the chun li fan, but after this new live action movie geez give ryu some chance to shine whydoncha? He's only the main character of the whole freakin franchise!

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

One thing that disapointed me in that trailer was it looked like a young gen got pwned by akuma. He was my fave character in Alpha.

If that's not Gen and just some generic opponent that got his butt kicked then just ignore this post. But judging by the comments on death and how it is the fate of people who fight that sounds like something from one of his character quotes.

Personally I found his moves (and the comibnations of both styles used together) a much more interesting fighting technique than akuma who lets be honest is almost a pallette swap of ryu/ken with some unique bits. :p

A friend of mine came back from Japan and told me that the arcade didn`t do well, only with original and hard core fans.

Hopefully this does well in other places when it comes onto consoles. SFII when it first came out was what really helped the arcades. But nowadays people prefer playing their games in the home. Sorta like how drive-in theatres were on the way out, and then now people go to normal theatres less, and its all home theatres instead. There are going to be people who can't find an arcade that has the game and whose only option is the console version.

1/1LVL you're absolutely right about arcades, here in the states they've gone the way of the drive in movie theater. I am a bit surprised to hear it didn't do so well in Japanese arcades...I think everyone knows it's coming to the PS3 & X360 with additional content like the anime, Sakura, Dan, Fei Long and probably Cammy too. Not to mention it'll be online and have additional DLC down the road. Who would waste money at the arcade?

• 2 weeks later...

okay Sakura in the console version.. I'm officially interested now! Sakura FTW

lord_breetai

*who most certainly did not comission Udon Studio's artist Omar Dogun to do a sketch of Sakura in a UN Spacy Uniform after finding out he did art on both Udon's Street Fighter comics and on Robotech Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, when I met him at the Calgary Comic Expo... oh wait I did*

Apparently the voices will be dubbed over for US release. I wonder how that's going to work/sound.

In what capacity? The game voices or the story anime? If it's the story anime I'm not too concerned. If it's the gameplay voices than that would be an import for me.

I don't know how much of the game is supposed to be dubbed. I just remember catching that in an article I read recently, but I can't remember where. There have been some decent game dubs. Metal Gear Solid series comes to mind. But yeah, not really keen on hearing "HAH-DOO-KAIN!" "ALL-YOU-CAN!"...

I really hope there's gonna be an option to turn off the announcer in the home version. And I thought the SNK vs Capcom 2 announcer was bad....

I saw some impressive Sakura matches on YT last weekend, one against a skilled Ryu player and one against someone playing Guile who may have never played Street Fighter before in they're life....that was painful to watch (hop scotch over the head taunt to a super)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, but her hand looks like it's bigger than her face! What's up with that? And it looks like she's gained some weight. And what is up with gouki? haha that just looks funny. Is that how evil sakura is gonna turn out like? ^_^