VF-4 Valkyrie.... 8 day build WIP

PetarB

H.jpg

E.jpg

G.jpg

J.jpg

F.jpg

Apologies, my photography is not the best. Hope you enjoy! Time for a couple more little 'fix-ups' then this one can go on the shelf. But it's not the end of the story. I've ordered another one...! This will be distinctly more 'military' including all guns and options.

Thanks for everyone's kind words!

I'm interested in your approach to making decals. There are several methods you can use I'm just interested out of curiosity in which one you use.

I sketched the ideas roughly out on paper first. I found the image of Minmei on a scan, I think from this website. I clipped her out and corrected the colour in Adobe Photoshop, and imported it into Adobe Illustrator. I created all the curves, text, and other graphics in Adobe Illustrator, and also printed directly out of there. If you have the right printer, it's the best program to produce sharp edges in (it's vector-based), which for this scale decal is absolutely essential. I've received many 'inkjet printed' decals where its quite obvious they've produced the artwork in Photoshop for example, and black lines turn into dots, which is quite frustrating and poorly detailed for a 1/72 model... anyway enough of that. I did a couple of test prints on ordinary paper, cut them out to check the size on the Valk. Finally, I printed onto some decal paper, let it set for an hour, then gave two light coats of and one heavy of Tamiya Clear acrylic. I think I overdid it, and hence some of the decals are a bit thick. Next time I will see what I can get away with.

I will try and take some pics of close-ups of the decals. I think you will be surprised at the quality - modern inkjets can make wonderful reproductions if you know how to use them.

Thats kinda the direction I was going to go in. I have several Vector based packages including Illustrator and your right for this sort of thing they are the only choice. I have some Laser printer decal sheets and a OKI Colour Laser printer on my desk at work. It can print. 600x1200 dpi True colour so should be great for this. I was gonna put masking tape on to the model/toy and rough sketch on the size and then peal it off and scan it into my Vector software and build on top of the image with nice crisp Vector graphics. Basically the same from there as yourself.

I saw all the comments so I just had to see. That's SHAWEeeeeet man! Excellent use of colors and designs. If you're going to any modeling shows, bring it! You'll get lot's of comments (good ones). - MT

H.jpg

E.jpg

G.jpg

J.jpg

F.jpg

Apologies, my photography is not the best. Hope you enjoy! Time for a couple more little 'fix-ups' then this one can go on the shelf. But it's not the end of the story. I've ordered another one...! This will be distinctly more 'military' including all guns and options.

Man, this VF-4 is more than great, thank you very much for share it ^_^

Please do not worry your pics are very good, in fact mines are bad <_<

The more I look at this model the more I want a VF-4 and the use of the Minmay guard paris decal design suits this model so well, looks good on a VF-1S looks really good on the VF-4. I agree if yamato doesn't make a VF-4 they're crazy but they can do the VF-11B first.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...