GI Joe lurches towards live-action filmdom (i.e. G.I. Joe live action)

Close. The Hard Master was Storm Shadow's uncle who gets an arrow (courtsey of Zartan, stolen from Storm Shadow) instead of Snake Eyes. The Soft Master was SS's other uncle, a pudgy dude who first showed up in the Snake Eyes origin issues. He was the guy who eventually played chicken with a TOW missile, trying to save Billy, Bongo and drunk guy. The black blind dude with the tattoo-hiding skin graft was....another guy whom I can't recall right now. But I answered 66% of your question anyway.

Forgot about this thread. Spending too much time at AVSForum. :ph34r:

Ah yeah. Then Zartan killed the black guy, but regretted in and began immitating him while tutoring Billy IIRC.

Good ideas Uxi - but I think the movie makers will likely make Snakes Eyes a main, if not, THE main character in the movie - in a similar manner to how Wolverine was the main guy in X-men. Good or bad idea, I dunno ....

:ph34r:

Thats what I expect, I will be glad to know if it doesn't turn out that way though. Funny thing, Snake Eyes and Wolverine were both penned by Larry Hama, Larry Hama wrote Wolverine until the mid 90's. Often Snake Eyes is said to be the "Wolverine" of the joes due to popularity, but its interesting to know that the same writer wrote both.

Good ideas Uxi - but I think the movie makers will likely make Snakes Eyes a main, if not, THE main character in the movie - in a similar manner to how Wolverine was the main guy in X-men. Good or bad idea, I dunno ....

:ph34r:

But they also made fun of Marvel's overuse of Wolverine,

X-men 1, "why do you assume I want you"

X-men 2 "You think everything's about you don't you?"

Both lines spoken by Magneto to Wolverine... slightly paraphrased.

anyway I don't like that idea, no Snakes for main character.

Considering how interrelated both Snake Eye's and Cobra Commander's early orgins are, I wouldn't mind them using Snake Eyes as the character the audience naturally gravitates toward.

For the first film, you really don't need to go into Snake's ninja past. Between his family's story, his pre-Joe military career, and his first few Joe missions (especially when he gets disfigured), there's enough "meat" and backstory to make Snake Eyes a compelling character.

I'm not saying make the entire movie be about him. But there are enough reasons to make Snake one of the main characters in the film.

Edited by Mog

Considering how interrelated both Snake Eye's and Cobra Commander's early orgins are, I wouldn't mind them using Snake Eyes as the character the audience naturally gravitates toward.

For the first film, you really don't need to go into Snake's ninja past. Between his family's story, his pre-Joe military career, and his first few Joe missions (especially when he gets disfigured), there's enough "meat" and backstory to make Snake Eyes a compelling character.

I'm not saying make the entire movie be about him. But there are enough reasons to make Snake one of the main characters in the film.

True. If a smart studio was thinking franchise, they could be thinking to spin that stuff off, though. A master behind the story/development could do it so that the movie is complementary to the comic contuinity and not contrary... but I doubt a master would really take over. Singer's treatment of Xmen and of course Nolan with Batman is giving me hope. Transformers, could have had a few name changes and convincingly been called something completely different, though.

The main character would pretty much have to be Duke... mostly because most of today's hack action movie writers and directors don't know how to handle a silent character just as Sunbow didn't know how to handle him in the cartoon. It's hard to cast an actor for a role in which they will never talk (except for perhaps doing a fan moment and having Snake Eyes say the single word he has ever said, ten points to those who know that single word) and as well as it being a "hooded" role in which they'd be under a full body costume the whole time. I don't know of many actors that could pull it off... outside of perhaps Ray Park, but he's a tad short for a Snake Eyes... and a tad one dimensional for a leading character. Hollywood would either wind up making Snake Eyes talk with his mask removed for 50% of the movie or wind up just making him a secondary character like Sunbow did.

Scarlett's name. I'll take my 10 points. :D

You're right, that's why I think he should be introduced as a secondary "main" character (one of the top 5 or whatever but not THE star) of the first movie. That would undoubtedly happen in sequels/spinoffs.

Edited by Uxi

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard rumblings about this for months,but...

GI Joe to become PC Global Task Force.

Funny is that Paramount and those involved with the movie want to undermine and undercut the United States armed forces and GI Joe's American roots (the term "GI Joe" is a nickname for AMERICAN soldiers since World War II!), but they are already approaching the military, at least the Navy, for techinal assisstance and advisement?!?!?! What a bunch of hypocrites! :angry:

This is one movie I will be staying away from.

The PC joe was from the Skip Woods script. The script is being entirely rewritten by Stuart Beattle, the joes won't be based out of Belgium, and Gijoe will probably not stand for whatever the hell they were going to call it. Fox news didn't get it right, and even their military analyst said gijoe is one guy, not realizing the movie will revolve around the characters from RAH, which was way more than one guy. More like a ton of guys and some girls.

I know these are usually worthless, but here's at least one online petition up and going.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Joerules/petition.html

If there is a more successful one going, let me know! :) I'm tempted to write Hasbro if I can find out who the best person to write to is. They need to pull the plug on this immediately.

The thing is the Transformers movie (this being another Hasbro property) was pretty good about portraying the US military and it had no problems doing quite well in the US and internationally.

Fox news didn't get it right, and even their military analyst said gijoe is one guy, not realizing the movie will revolve around the characters from RAH, which was way more than one guy. More like a ton of guys and some girls.

Yeah but in RAH lore there IS an actual GI Joe who is just one guy (Joseph Colton), who's nickname became the name of the team. Also that "news" article is speaking to the traditional name and connotation of GI Joe and not the particular RAH iteration of the Hasbro GI Joe Toy/Show/Comic. "GI Joe" dates back decades and has been seen in hundreds of different forms... but the one form it always takes (which I believe was the thrust of the article) is that "GI Joe" is always American.

The PC joe was from the Skip Woods script. The script is being entirely rewritten by Stuart Beattle, the joes won't be based out of Belgium, and Gijoe will probably not stand for whatever the hell they were going to call it. Fox news didn't get it right, and even their military analyst said gijoe is one guy, not realizing the movie will revolve around the characters from RAH, which was way more than one guy. More like a ton of guys and some girls.

Whoever wrote the article obviously (which is quite sad) did some research on GI Joe but never actually played with the product as a youngster. He has his information semi-correct. Unfortunately he believes that in RAH there's actually a person named GI Joe who's the leader of the whole outfit. They do show pictures of Scarlett and Duke in the article, so I don't think you can discredit all of it. Hollywood IS the type of environment that would "PC" GI Joe even more than what's already been done in the Sigma 6 show. All I can do is roll my eyes until someone confirms that this movie is going to actually resemble the RAH comic/show/toy I grew up with.

Whoever wrote the article obviously (which is quite sad) did some research on GI Joe but never actually played with the product as a youngster. He has his information semi-correct. Unfortunately he believes that in RAH there's actually a person named GI Joe who's the leader of the whole outfit. They do show pictures of Scarlett and Duke in the article, so I don't think you can discredit all of it. Hollywood IS the type of environment that would "PC" GI Joe even more than what's already been done in the Sigma 6 show. All I can do is roll my eyes until someone confirms that this movie is going to actually resemble the RAH comic/show/toy I grew up with.

The guy who mentioned joe as one guy played with joe during the 60's, I think that guy is actually unaware of RAH. Sure they put pics of Scarlett and Duke there, but how hard is it to find pictures of those two? They are very popular, a google search of gijoe turns those two up. It would not surprise me if they did not know who they were and just put them in there because they knew they were gijoes.

• 1 month later...

Hasbro turns on the spin machine. Of course there is no answer regarding GI Joe now being GIJOE and that it's part of some PC international task force and not an extension of the US military.

Transcript from today's Glenn Beck program. Glenn and Stu create the new GI Joe theme song! And here's the final product!

And of course GI Joe in its better days... YO JOE!!!

Hasbro turns on the spin machine. Of course there is no answer regarding GI Joe now being GIJOE and that it's part of some PC international task force and not an extension of the US military.

Transcript from today's Glenn Beck program. Glenn and Stu create the new GI Joe theme song! And here's the final product!

And of course GI Joe in its better days... YO JOE!!!

I watched Glen Beck's program last night on CNN's Headline News & I think all this panic is just useless. All the main Joes will be American(ok they might be working for the UN but so what). They think this UN G.I. Joe is something new but does anybody remember Action Force?In the U.K. Joe was marketed for a European audience and even some of the Joes ethnicities changed(Flint became British, Lady Jaye became Irish, & Barbeque became Italian).

The guy who mentioned joe as one guy played with joe during the 60's, I think that guy is actually unaware of RAH. Sure they put pics of Scarlett and Duke there, but how hard is it to find pictures of those two? They are very popular, a google search of gijoe turns those two up. It would not surprise me if they did not know who they were and just put them in there because they knew they were gijoes.

Have to agree here, most of the haters I see here don't seem to know anything about RAH... like my brother was watching Glen n Beck cause he likes that guy and he was talking about how the action figures were patterned on a real World War Hero and how making HIM into a UN guy was ruining an american icon. All the while they were playing a clip from Arise, Serpentor Arise! When Beachhead contronts the Baroness at Vlad Tepes tomb.

So what gets me is I don't think Glenn Beck knew anything about RAH, he certainly didn't seem too.

*edit* okay I should have read the rest of the thread before I commented, I guess he does know what it is.

Edited by lord_breetai

no offenece to anyone...... but :unsure:

All i care about in a live action GIJOE movie is primarily the Vehicles.... and whouldn't care if they are revamped as long as it has a 80's GIJOE feeling to it.... ^_^

If not i will not be interested in the least...

Edited by altermodes

All i care about in a live action GIJOE movie is primarily the Vehicles.... and whouldn't care if they are revamped as long as it has a 80's GIJOE feeling to it.... ^_^

What was that big giant mobile base with the huge cannon in the middle? Like it was roughly triangular and some joes would cruise around in it.

:unsure: Sorry about this...

But i also forgot to mention, also having the title GIJOE ( if not Cobra as well ) and are also known as GIJOE in the movie is a major factor as well, as the vehicles.

As again i aplogize :unsure:

The General.

My friend had that thing. AND the USS Flagg. I was jealous - but I had that shuttle station though. Anyone remember how perfectly the big bottom-of-the-shuttle-detaching-but-part-of-the-shuttle thing glided along carpeting?

If this movie doesn't include the name "GIJoe" or "Cobra" in it, then it's just another action movie, with no ties to mine or anyone elses' childhood.