The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Question:

Do you think it would be too hard to get an external HD-dvd drive to work on the PS3? I'm thinking one could take the HD-DVD drive for a xbox360, stick it in an external case and connect using USB. How hard would it be to make a driver since the system is basiclly linux?

As long as someone wrote the software for it, it in theory could work.

I think Cobywan meant that an external USB HDD would work as "plug and play".

Question:

Do you think it would be too hard to get an external HD-dvd drive to work on the PS3? I'm thinking one could take the HD-DVD drive for a xbox360, stick it in an external case and connect using USB. How hard would it be to make a driver since the system is basiclly linux?

my guess - PS3's os likely don't have a driver for hd-dvd built in, might be better find out if anyone has written driver and software before getting the HD drive, usb external harddisk work so I don't see any reason why a HD drive wouldn't. But I think yellowdog linux is probably needed, check out yellowdog's web site and google a bit and you should find what you want. in addition, yellowdog is built for PS3, and its free, putting other version of linux on the PS3 might not be a very good idea.??

Sorry, didn't see the xbox reference. the drive from ms, I would say you could but probably a lot of trouble, since you can't download the driver from PS3. I think there are HD drives for pc on the market already.

Edited by Vince

my guess - PS3's os likely don't have a driver for hd-dvd built in, might be better find out if anyone has written driver and software before getting the HD drive, usb external harddisk work so I don't see any reason why a HD drive wouldn't. But I think yellowdog linux is probably needed, check out yellowdog's web site and google a bit and you should find what you want. in addition, yellowdog is built for PS3, and its free, putting other version of linux on the PS3 might not be a very good idea.??

Sorry, didn't see the xbox reference. the drive from ms, I would say you could but probably a lot of trouble, since you can't download the driver from PS3. I think there are HD drives for pc on the market already.

I think the xbox360's HD-DVD drive (bought seperately) is the still the cheapest on the market, I think.

I've got a TDK external DVD burner...maybe I'll try that first just to see if it would work.

As long as someone wrote the software for it, it in theory could work.

Emphasis on "in theory." The 360's HD-DVD drive isn't complete, as it expects the 360's hardware to do all of the processing. Someone could try to write a Linux driver for it, but the PS3 is short on RAM, and Sony has so far blocked access to the RSX outside of the XMB OS. If someone really wanted to take the time to write a Linux distro to fully tap the Cell processor instead of just filing it under "PowerPC," and then they wrote a driver for the 360's HD-DVD drive, I suppose it's possible. But I doubt anyone's put that much effort into it.

Meanwhile, homebrew drivers for the XMB OS would be a no go, unless you mod the system.

If you really want to watch HD-DVDs, but don't want to buy a 360, buy an HD-DVD player. They're down to around $250 now.

Emphasis on "in theory." The 360's HD-DVD drive isn't complete, as it expects the 360's hardware to do all of the processing. Someone could try to write a Linux driver for it, but the PS3 is short on RAM, and Sony has so far blocked access to the RSX outside of the XMB OS. If someone really wanted to take the time to write a Linux distro to fully tap the Cell processor instead of just filing it under "PowerPC," and then they wrote a driver for the 360's HD-DVD drive, I suppose it's possible. But I doubt anyone's put that much effort into it.

Meanwhile, homebrew drivers for the XMB OS would be a no go, unless you mod the system.

If you really want to watch HD-DVDs, but don't want to buy a 360, buy an HD-DVD player. They're down to around $250 now.

I just think it would be nice if there was a working HD-DVD drive for the PS3...that would end the format war for me. I wouldn't have to wait for a blu-ray version of somehting. I'd buy the 360 but I loath microsofts handling of the 360 line. They were nothing but trouble for my xbox. I'll never purchase one of their crappy systems again, plus xbox live is a total rip off. Nothing but lag and crap gameplay. PS3 is so much better. No lag and no constant dropping of games.

Well, considering Sony is the leading proponent of Blu Ray I'd say the odds of seeing an HD DVD add on for the PS3 about the same as seeing a Chevy Camaro engine option for a Ford Mustang. I'd also go one further to say that if HD DVD "wins" the format war that Sony will have such an inflated head that they'd never offer an HD drive for the PS3. Something tells me they'd rather see their console die than "side with the enemy". The same would go for Microsoft. If HD DVD goes tits up tomorrow I don't exactly see them jumping on the Blu Ray bandwagon with a player accessory.

In all seriousness though this Christmas you'll see sub $300 standalone HD DVD players at retail. It's pretty much a given at this point. But that is talk for the HD Media thread and not the PS3 thread...

I just think it would be nice if there was a working HD-DVD drive for the PS3...that would end the format war for me. I wouldn't have to wait for a blu-ray version of somehting. I'd buy the 360 but I loath microsofts handling of the 360 line. They were nothing but trouble for my xbox. I'll never purchase one of their crappy systems again, plus xbox live is a total rip off. Nothing but lag and crap gameplay. PS3 is so much better. No lag and no constant dropping of games.

I'm not happy with the failure rate of the 360's, but at least Microsoft is owning up to it instead of trying to brush it under the rug, ala the Disc Read Error issues of the PS2. And Xbox Live a rip off? That's pretty subjective, but I think $50 a year is fair for what I see as a much more coherent service than the PlayStation Network. Lag and crap gameplay? Have you actually played on Xbox Live? It hasn't lagged for me, even with all the people logging in to play Halo 3.

I'm not happy with the failure rate of the 360's, but at least Microsoft is owning up to it instead of trying to brush it under the rug, ala the Disc Read Error issues of the PS2. And Xbox Live a rip off? That's pretty subjective, but I think $50 a year is fair for what I see as a much more coherent service than the PlayStation Network. Lag and crap gameplay? Have you actually played on Xbox Live? It hasn't lagged for me, even with all the people logging in to play Halo 3.

Now, I'm judging off the original xbox, but on Halo 2, cromson skys, mech warrior 1&2 there were nothing but lag problems, and dropping of games. I've yet to have a game drop on my PS3 and have zero lag problems with Need for speed carbon, or Warhawk. Warhawk has double the players (32)that can play halo. And this is with the same connection and set up.

Then add in that microsoft swept the drive problems on the original xbox under the carpet not telling customers that certain drives weren't supported and were failing. Send my xbox in and it came back 3 months later worse than it was before I sent it to them. Plus they promised that they would suspend my xbox live account for the duration of the repair...I get it back and they didn't suspend squat and wouldn't refund the time or money.

Add in the crap of the red ring of death and there no way I would buy one. Many are having to sent in their 360 3-4 times and it still doesn't work properly...I don't call that owning up. They build a failng product and expect that extending a warrenty is going to fix the underlying problem...what a joke.

Until the new chips come out and they work out the bugs the 360 is crap.

Hell I got a version 1 ps2 (picked up on the day it was released) that still fine and kicking and have yet to have a single problem. That's quality. I can only hope that my ps3 can do the same. I doubt a 360 can manage lasting that long without a problem.

Add in the crap of the red ring of death and there no way I would buy one. Many are having to sent in their 360 3-4 times and it still doesn't work properly...I don't call that owning up. They build a failng product and expect that extending a warrenty is going to fix the underlying problem...what a joke. Until the new chips come out and they work out the bugs the 360 is crap.

I agree that the 360's are pretty crappy when it comes to durability, a few people are still claiming to be on their release day system while others have easily gone through 3 replacements, but we'll see if the new 65nm CPU helps out any.

As for me, I purchased a 360 two weeks ago. When it came to choosing between the PS3 and the 360, the choice was obvious: 360. While the PS3 is a very robust system that probably won't ever crap out on me, there just aren't any games that I want for it. I wouldn't mind giving Heavenly Sword and Resistance a while, but those seem to be games that I'd rather rent for 2 - 3 days than actually own. Furthermore there are definitely going to be more pricecuts coming down the line so I see no reason to plunk down money for this system. Perhaps in another year or two the PS3 will shape up to be a worthy contender with a healthy library of games, but for now there's absolutely no reason to buy one at a higher cost and a smaller selection of games.

When it comes to the 360 there are a lot more games that I'd be willing to purchase because they are great games and/or have excellent Live support, such as Halo 3, Ace Combat 6, or Katamari. As for the lag, I've yet to see anything of significance on Halo 3 even during Big Team Battles. The 360 also just witnessed a pricecut last month that I was able to take advantage of. There may even be another pricecut for the holiday season, but nothing's guaranteed as the 360 is currently selling very well and MS doesn't need to give us another pricecut to remain competitive, unlike Sony. But I'm not going to kid myself, statistically my system will probably 3RROD after a year. It's going to suck having to pack it up and mail it back to MS, but I've got plenty of other games on my PS2 that I can finally complete during the 360's hiatus. Hopefully the free 360 I get back will have the future Jasper board, but if it doesn't I'll just trade mine in and use the store credit towards purchasing a Jasper 360 which should be out by then.

Just an FYI for anyone who doesn't know, but the Jasper will feature a 65nm CPU and GPU. If this doesn't solve the 3RROD then I don't know what will. :lol:

Now, I'm judging off the original xbox, but on Halo 2, cromson skys, mech warrior 1&2 there were nothing but lag problems, and dropping of games. I've yet to have a game drop on my PS3 and have zero lag problems with Need for speed carbon, or Warhawk. Warhawk has double the players (32)that can play halo. And this is with the same connection and set up.

Then add in that microsoft swept the drive problems on the original xbox under the carpet not telling customers that certain drives weren't supported and were failing. Send my xbox in and it came back 3 months later worse than it was before I sent it to them. Plus they promised that they would suspend my xbox live account for the duration of the repair...I get it back and they didn't suspend squat and wouldn't refund the time or money.

Add in the crap of the red ring of death and there no way I would buy one. Many are having to sent in their 360 3-4 times and it still doesn't work properly...I don't call that owning up. They build a failng product and expect that extending a warrenty is going to fix the underlying problem...what a joke.

Until the new chips come out and they work out the bugs the 360 is crap.

Hell I got a version 1 ps2 (picked up on the day it was released) that still fine and kicking and have yet to have a single problem. That's quality. I can only hope that my ps3 can do the same. I doubt a 360 can manage lasting that long without a problem.

See, I'm the opposite. I went through two old-style original PlayStations plus one of the little PSones, and I'm on my second PS2. My original Xbox is still fine (not that I use it anymore), and I'm still playing a launch-day 360.

As for the lag issues, Microsoft was trying to build a service with the original Xbox. Yeah, it had its share of growing pains, but Live is MUCH better on the 360. The only games I've had any issues with online are Madden and Tiger, and I blame that on EA.

As for the PlayStation network, it's not that I think it's bad, I just think it lacks a lot of the cohesion of Xbox Live. But you get what you pay for, I suppose.

Both consoles have their ups and downs, so I see no need to show any loyalty or loathing to one or another. I own both, and I'll buy games for both.

yellowdog linux is full function linux, but then linux is not unix. all you need is a usb keyboard and mouse, download yellowdog, and might be a bigger hard drive. ps3 will take care of the parition on the new drive, but you are going to lose you r saved games. I don't know if you can move the saves to a usb drive.

There a plenty of media player that can handle HD and BD, the hard part is to find the hardwares that already has working linux drivers. without the correct driver, the HD drive will likely be no more than a std DVD drive. good news is someone will write such a driver sooner of later and post it somewhere or even include in future linux distro. the hardware makers do like to sell more of their products. :lol:

go to yellowdog's web site the find out what's new.

Never tried it PC to PC, but I suppose as long as you had a FAT32 partition available on the PC, it should be doable (currently PS3 can't see NTFS partitions at all).

FAT16, FAT32, NTFS(NT file system as Windows NT) are all MS design file system, files cannot be copied between UNIX and Windows system and expected to be ok. Executables, binaries, ACSII text, and java classes can be transfer between UNIX and Windows also zip, tar, war, ear and

such(no dll), but a FTP client is needed. Http protocol handles transfer automatically, and that's why you can save from web browsers.

I have read somewhere a usb drive can be formatted to store data from ps3, I don't see any reason why you can't fromat an external hard drive with the format utility on you PS3 to back up your data, there is a usb hard drive for PS3 for sales in store after all.

In short, storing data from PS3 and PC on the same partition -- No. Having pc reading ps3 format disk drive or the other way around -- No. But you can create multiple partitions on the same device and assign different partition to different os.

even yellowdog has to be install in it own partition and can't read the PS3 game data, I think - not sure, will google more ??

I wonder if we can map the ps3 as a network device and access it with some sorta telnet type client?? <_<

Wow this came out of nowhere...lol I'm shocked :blink:

Sony announces 40GB PS3, 80GB $100 price cut for North America

Those in the US and Canada can rejoice that they too will be able to buy the 40GB model, along with receiving a price cut for the 80GB machine.

By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK

Posted Oct 18, 2007 5:34 am PT

Although the new 40GB PlayStation 3 SKU has been announced for Europe, Japan, and Australia, Sony had so far refused to comment on whether North Americans would also be getting the new model.

However, today Sony Computer Entertainment America ended all the pesky 'rumours and speculation' by officially announcing that the new 40GB PlayStation 3--which is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles--will indeed be released in North America on November 2.

The 40GB model will come bundled with a Blu-ray movie of Spider-Man 3--the same deal as in Japan--and a suggested retail price of $399. It loses two of the USB ports featured on the bigger models, and also does not have a memory card holder.

For those in North America thinking about getting a PS3 this holiday season but worried about the impact on their wallets, the 80GB version has dropped $100 in price to $499, effective immediately. The 80GB console is not currently available in Europe.

SCEA president Jack Tretton commented, "We're pleased to offer the consumer a lower price point without sacrificing the core technology components that make PS3 the most advanced high-definition entertainment system available."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181252.html?...estnews;title;0

They have to compete somehow... this coming holiday season may be the crucible for the PS3. With the Wii commanding such a dominant market lead that is almost assuredly going to continue through the holiday season amid current reports that it will once again suffer shortages and the Xbox 360 still maintaining a hearty lead in the installed console base as well as the publicly perceived notion that it has the superior games library, the PS3 kind of has to pull out a lot of the stops. Public perception is everything in these "high falootin'" console wars and at the moment public opinion of the PS3 is "it costs too much" and "it doesn't have any good games". If Sony can close the price gap effectively that will eliminate one of the perceived "failures" of the unit. The next step is rolling out some truly killer apps... I personally feel that this second step is going to occur "too late". Most of the "system savior" titles that people are waiting for will completely miss the huge Christmas shopping season by months, and others are multi platform releases that many people may purchase on other consoles rather than wait.

IMHO Sony really needs to get the lead out and blitzkrieg the game market like they used to. This "modern" Sony is almost anemic and playing it's moves in a reactionary fashion... nothing like the "classic" innovative Sony of the late '90s.

They have to compete somehow... this coming holiday season may be the crucible for the PS3. With the Wii commanding such a dominant market lead that is almost assuredly going to continue through the holiday season amid current reports that it will once again suffer shortages...

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I have yet to see ONE Wii console for sale, here in San Diego, in any of the big retail stores such as Wal*Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.

Nintendo keeps buildin' em and people keep buyin' em. Here in Saint Louis the electronics stores have lines outside every Sunday morning with people waiting to buy Wii's.

... meanwhile the PS3's rot on the shelves next to the fugly Halo 3 Xbox 360's. Regular Xbox 360's and Elites are spotty, they sell out but get refilled but those PS3's warm the shelves like a nice knitted blanket here.

Got to wonder how big of a hit Sony's now taking on the PS3 these days?

http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

Here's a breakdown of the cost of each component in the PS3. Mind you these number are a year old so it's safe bet that some of the components have gone down a couple of dollars. And now that the Emotion Engine and memory card board are gone Sony has saved themselves quite a bit of money, I'd estimate they're probably losing $140 on each system now. This is definitely much better than the $241.35 they were losing at launch. And to Sony's credit, the PS3 is a rock solid system so they're not wasting money on thousands of system repairs, unlike Microsoft.

ISupply way overestimated many components as well. It's hard to estimate but many of those component prices aren't so far off from retail, much less wholesale, much less if you own the factory that's producing those things (like Sony did with the blue laser diodes, for example). R&D always takes a long time, especially for a game console, to pay off so isn't applicable. Paying nvidia over a hundred bucks is almost as laughable as paying $40 for "manufacturing costs" (in China for most of them, mind you) and $50 for the hard drive and RAM.

I've always been of a mind that component and assembly wise, the PS3 was more more affordable than has been commonly thought. The biggest expense has been in the R&D (which shared synergy with the electronics division) and with the development itself.

Anyways, we need more clannies for Warhawk. Anyone interested and not otherwise obligated, come visit clan UXI. I have many ideas on really basic small unit tactics (used to great effect on BF2 and in real life paintball) and coordination.

Joined, but yeah, I sucked at Warhawk today. At least I got in a kill or two before getting owned. Man I want a keyboard/mouse combo with that game.

Oh and yeah you can hook up any external usb drive to your ps3 and backup the data. It creates a folder called PS3 on your HD.

sorry didn't see your message :p How did you do it?

1) Plug in the USB drive.

2) Go to System Settings

3) Go to Backup Utility

4) Backup

Joined, but yeah, I sucked at Warhawk today. At least I got in a kill or two before getting owned. Man I want a keyboard/mouse combo with that game.

PoweredByFlo said he saw you. Maybe we'll get Trav on at the same time and we can try some coordination. I have some ideas... I'll PM you. Do you have your headset synched up? :)

The majority of consumers are highly ignorant. The only sensible option is the 60G version that features backward compatability. The 40G is too stripped down and the 80G isn't backwards compatible with a meager 20 extra G's of HD space...

Damn it. When I read about the price reduction on PS3, I was kind of pissed =(

I paid premium just to find out that Sony reduced the price later. It just put them in a worse situation now. Potential customers might be thinking that Sony will reduce the price again in the future.

Oh, how I wish Sony will offer some credit (just like what Apple did with iPhone) =/