Yamato 1/60 YF-21 News & Pics

Graham

Im guessing those little 3D vector thrust paddles go a long way?

(It's a cartoon, and it's a damn cool scene, so I just turn off the logical side of my brain during that part of the movie. ^_^ )

That, and the main wings can morph so I guess he uses that feature to control it.

And you're right about the turning off the brain part, I need to do that too when I watch anime these days.

Damn, sometimes I wish I was still a kid.

Thanks for the screencap eugimon! Is that the movie version or the OVA?

That, and the main wings can morph so I guess he uses that feature to control it.

And you're right about the turning off the brain part, I need to do that too when I watch anime these days.

Damn, sometimes I wish I was still a kid.

Thanks for the screencap eugimon! Is that the movie version or the OVA?

hmm, I guess my time stamp is useless without that information huh? :p

it's the OVA, disc 4. :lol:

LOL so it's a fact now even though you can't make a comparison? There's an expression for that that I'm not going to post here!

ANYWAY.. the point of all this moaning is that the more noise people make about the crappy legs on the 21, the more likely it is that they'll be fixed on the 22, It's my understanding that they will have to alter the belly, so they might as well put some decent legs on while they're at it!

Yamato doesn't have the rights to make anything from Macross 7 so im sorry to say that there will most probably not be a 22.

Yamato doesn't have the rights to make anything from Macross 7 so im sorry to say that there will most probably not be a 22.

Just because they don't have the rights to M7 does not mean that they can never make the 22. They may still make the VF-22S from the VF-X2 games pending the status of their licence.

Just because they don't have the rights to M7 does not mean that they can never make the 22. They may still make the VF-22S from the VF-X2 games pending the status of their licence.

I hope so.

Aren't the only differences the canopy, head and bellyplates ?

Edited by thankheaven

Hmm.. well getting back to the delimiter mode idea... I don't want to reignite things at all, so I'm going to try to keep this in a completely technical sense. If you want the delimiter mode to work in the first place, you need a detailed underside. But that detail can be a determining factor in how big the legs can be.

Pictures will probably help more than anything else here.

yf21_fi_lim014.jpg

Here's the detail I was referring to when I mentioned the underside. It's what's underneath those belly panels that counts. ;) From this pic, you can see where the D-Stance has a little extra room to store the legs, near the exhausts, in the empty boxy area. They don't extend the underside of the fuselage interior all the way back, and the interior of the upper engine humps is empty. In delimiter mode, this is just a big open space. Fortunately it's on the underside, but that's also evidence that they decided to sacrifice detail in aircraft mode for a better battroid.

jl_Pre_hsg11_i.jpg

The Hasegawa kit extends those vents clear to the rear end (upper left diagram), and then blends into the underside of the exhaust area, so the interior of the fuselage is closed off, as it should be for a non-transforming display model (you don't want to see interior plastic). With some extra work, you could probably even build a delimiter mode version of this kit, just by leaving off the belly plates and arm fairings, and closing the gaps near the tails.

trans21.jpg

Here's the transparent one for comparison. We can't see the underside, but that big blue structural piece under the skin looks like it seals off the forward interior of the engine humps, and the unknown red stuff fills up the back. I don't know how much detail will be in there, or if the vents will be there at all. But it looks like the upper nacelles will be closed off from the outside. Realistically speaking, that is how a real one would look, since there has to be some place for the engines to be stored. But it does limit the space available for the legs.

As for them fixing the skinny legs for a VF-22 though, I wouldn't hold your breath. Yamato as of yet doesn't have the license to produce Mac7 stuff, which (I think) has ruled out the 22 thus far, same as the production VF-19 designs, and VF-17. Also, I don't think they'd have any incentive to make that change, even if they did get the license. The changes between the YF-21 and VF-22 are so minimal, it wouldn't make financial sense to redesign the thing from scratch, and have to invest in an entirely new production line. If they make one at all, it'll probably be the same as the YF-21 design, with a replaced cockpit, head, and belly panels. The less they change the design, the higher the profit margin. ;)

Anyway, I kind of doubt they'd make the limbs easily removable. That's asking for disaster in QC, with limbs not staying on in poses, especially when holding the extra weight of the fast packs and gunpods. But I don't see any reason why they wouldn't make it so it still looks accurate if you did it yourself. Considering how much it resembles the Hasegawa already, it's wouldn't be much of a stretch to design the underside of the body the same way.

Edited by Chronocidal

Maybe Yamato could include some 'slip-on' calf muscles to imitate the incredible morphing structure and allow the 'perfect' battroid display? :-)

you mean like yf-21 "omega pants"? :p

Actually, not a bad idea. like the tv style hands, it's an option that will keep the PT guys happy but it will also give the line art guys a way to display the thing in a way that's closer to the anime look.

Exactly. I mean, no one really minded the 'impossible' sizes of the optional hands for the 1/48, right? I personally thought those were inelegant (and proven by the new 1/60's better hands)... but for the screen magic in M+, 'omega pants' could be the best thing for us demanding fans.

The changes between the YF-21 and VF-22 are so minimal, it wouldn't make financial sense to redesign the thing from scratch, and have to invest in an entirely new production line. If they make one at all, it'll probably be the same as the YF-21 design, with a replaced cockpit, head, and belly panels. The less they change the design, the higher the profit margin. ;)

That's the thing. Yamato wouldn't have to redesign from scratch. :) As you pointed out it would probably be the same as the YF-21 design with alternate canopy, face, and belly panels. Those are the only structural differences I've noticed. The differences aren't as severe as with the different models of the 19 (now that subject is a headache :ph34r: ).

Eugimon's Omega pants. :lol:

Actually, I was just referring to the idea of making the legs bigger in a later edition. It'd be very simple to make a VF-22 out of the 21.. but making the legs bigger would take a redesign of the internals, and probably the belly plates. So that's not so likely to happen, unless they redesign it later in a bigger scale (luvs my 1/48ths, I does ^_^ ) . I'm seriously hoping for a VF-22 though, just to get a few different paint schemes. M&M VF-22s would be great.

As for the Omega Pants, I could see that happening. Both as a YF-21 mod, and a new clothing line from Dickies. :lol: I'd copyright that name fast, or at least add a TM after it.

Looking at the pics again, the legs are a bit skinny.

I wonder what else is skinny...

.....in Eugimon's Omega Pants.

:p

I find it flattering you all are so interested in MY omega pants. I'll just say that there were no compromises made for battroid mode. :p

Edited by eugimon

That's gross you two. OH the horror of such a visual! I do not want to know why you have looked down Eugimon's pants Dante, and Eugimon for letting him

Edited by kensei