What's wrong with hollywood

Man, I hope lion-o swears in the thundercats cg movie as a homage to this:

"The actor who played Lion-O said in an interview that these bloopers are real and not something someone edited"

lol authentic swearing. Not fanmade like the transformer swearing videos. :D

Perhaps on the dvd version the actors can include bloopers for the movie like the above vid?

what happened to originality

Too risky. Maybe its like the videogame industry where all the guys with ideas get ignored by publishers? They want something already that is a "proven formula" for milking you of your money vs uncertainty and danger. Chicken$hits..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Who knows what will come of this. Remember:

a) Ridley Scott is a good, if not the best movie director.

b) there have been a lot of successful and good movies based around board games or off of amusement park rides. (Jumanji and Pirates of the Carribbean are coming to mind.)

I'm going to reserve further comment until actually seeing more of what this movie might look like.

• 4 weeks later...

anybody think that this new Underdog movie sux

yeah it hasnt come out yet but looking at the commercials

I just dont understand why this was made. that Garfield movie

with bill murray was crap. so why do it again? i used to enjou Underdog

now it looks extra goofy. I just dont get it. :angry:

anybody think that this new Underdog movie sux

yeah it hasnt come out yet but looking at the commercials

I just dont understand why this was made.

News flash! Underdog was ALWAYS bad!

i used to enjou Underdog

now it looks extra goofy. I just dont get it. :angry:

The original was extra-goofy too.

Underdog was a dog in tights.

I repeat: A DOG IN TIGHTS.

Only thing I want to know is what they'll do in place of the traditional "line at the phonebooth" gag. What with the phone booth being dead and all.

News flash! Underdog was ALWAYS bad!

The original was extra-goofy too.

Underdog was a dog in tights.

I repeat: A DOG IN TIGHTS.

Only thing I want to know is what they'll do in place of the traditional "line at the phonebooth" gag. What with the phone booth being dead and all.

yes i know it was goofy back in the day but this looks even goofier. I just don't understand this need to convert cartoon animals in to live action "heroes",

this would have been just fine as a CG movie and c'mon tights does this out fit look tight on him? :blink:

post-3216-1184534002_thumb.jpg

If I recall the first time that I was really aware that Hollywood was dumbing down was some years ago while shopping I noticed Terminator toys for kids, this was before T2 came out so theres no excuse there. TEminator was marketed as an 18 cert film. WTF are you gonna need to have toys in a toy shop for something that kids shouldnt even know about.

Now at first when T2 and other subsiquent movies came out I just put it down to the Censors being more relaxed etc by the modern world. People see more nowadays so it takes more to shock etc. I dont know how the Rating system works in the U.S but I cant rember the last time I saw an 18 cert film. I go to the Cinema a lot and see a wide range of films most have been 12 cert or occasionally 15 cert. With the exception of cartoons which are U cert.

I do feel cheated in some cases like when you get a film version of a book that you know has had its better bits cut or dumbed down, so the kids in the next row with the mobile phones and Torrets a parchant to talk all throughthe film can sit there and watch with me instead of getting their parents to buy it for them when it comes out on DVD.

Yes it does make seing a film a more family outing kinda thing but sometime you just want to see a film. Some time th3e mor sugestive though process works better Eg Hitchcock and co. But sometime you do need to see that bit or have a more adult explanation as to why something is happenening that just gets lost when showing the film for kids and their parents.

Hollywood is/has going down the road of remake and rehash, but you have to ask yourself its just doing what mainstream T.V has been doing for a while, Ask yourself how many search for a star/dancing programes do we really need.

All thats needed is a little more thought

I don't think it's fair to jump all over hollywood for recycling ideas. People act like that's something new and startling. But hollywood and cinema in general has been doing it for YEARS. Old classics such as the Ten Commandments, Gone with the Wind, Blade Runner, they're all adaptations. They all took their stories and characters from works of literature. Even Kurosawa was basically remaking spaghetti westerns by reinterpreting them with Japanese samurai mythology. It's nothing new.

There is nothing wrong with Hollywood. The problem is with the movie going public. They keep making crap because people keep paying to see it. How many horrid movies have been given attention with lengthy threads here? If I had a dime for every time someone on these forums paid to see a crappy video game or comic book movie, I'd be a millionaire.

There is nothing wrong with Hollywood. The problem is with the movie going public. They keep making crap because people keep paying to see it. How many horrid movies have been given attention with lengthy threads here? If I had a dime for every time someone on these forums paid to see a crappy video game or comic book movie, I'd be a millionaire.

In a nut shell there you have it.

The special film is that one that comes along and breaks the mold and/or sets new standards.

What we really need is more of them.

Edited by big F

why? What's wrong with just doing a solid story in a good, competent manner?

Silence of the Lambs (another adaptation) did nothing new, it was a psychological thriller, it just did it very well. It wasn't spectacular, it just had solid acting, direction and story.

Terminator didn't set any new standards either, the special effects had already been pioneered, time travel wasn't a new concept, it was just a solid picture. The movie that cameron made that DID set new standards, Abyss, is hardly spoken of.

Honestly, I think people have worked themselves into some sort of intellectual fart about movies. Movies, can be art, they can be entertainment. They don't need to be both all the time.

There are still plenty of excellent, mature movies made for adults in Hollywood. The problem you guys have is that movies with aliens and lots of violence don't get rated R anymore because Hollywood has realized kids like those things too. Kids watching a movie = more money.

i understand wanting to market a movie so that the widest audience can see it and of course make the most profit

but making a "dumb" movie (arguable) doesnt guarantee profits either. so what if its pg or pg13 that doesnt make a movie good i dont remember the exact words and all but Disney recently announced that they would stop making those crappy sequels to their classics line Cinderalla 2 and Lion King 1 1/2 The originals were good and then they made the "sequels" I think the Disney rep said they were embarassing. I dont really understand why Hollywood does what it does . remember the dudley do right movie from a few years back. sometimes a cartoon should remain a cartoon even on the big screen. I cant imagine what would have happened if the Simpson's movie were turned into a live action movie. imagine mighty mouse or danger mouse as live action movies i cant. Yea Underdog and other goofy cartoons arent the best source material for a movie but that doesnt mean that their interpretation on the big screen should be worse. ok i'm done ranting about this.

why? What's wrong with just doing a solid story in a good, competent manner?

Silence of the Lambs (another adaptation) did nothing new, it was a psychological thriller, it just did it very well. It wasn't spectacular, it just had solid acting, direction and story.

Terminator didn't set any new standards either, the special effects had already been pioneered, time travel wasn't a new concept, it was just a solid picture. The movie that cameron made that DID set new standards, Abyss, is hardly spoken of.

Honestly, I think people have worked themselves into some sort of intellectual fart about movies. Movies, can be art, they can be entertainment. They don't need to be both all the time.

Abyss one of my all time favorite movies I remember seeing it in the cinema we were all OMG and everyone was totally speachless.

There have been some really good made for TV movies over the last few years that I have though that they should have been cinema films they could have done well. Ture there have been some bad eggs but on the whole the T.V market has upped its game and it is catching up with the cinema market. The sort of film I personally like is they type that keeps you guessing and totally fixed right up to the end credits, be it funny, scary, serious, romantic, Sci Fi, historic or otherwise, it the thing I do to burn a few hours and to get away from it all.

My film DVD collection is almost as varied as my Music collection. Each year it gets more so.

If I had a dime for every time someone on these forums paid to see a crappy video game or comic book movie, I'd be a millionaire.

Actually, we should all start writing and submitting crappy video game and/or comic book movie scripts. Then a bunch of us here at the MW forums would be sure to become millionaires. ^_^

Intelligence? Who needs it! Experience? Pshuh! Writing skills? Why bother! So many in Hollywood have shown us the way. Talent? We don't need no stinking talent!

I agree that people must start thinking more about the films they watch. Everyone loudly complains about crap movies, but who are the first people to berate me when I decline to attend the latest batch of garbage films? People simply have to be more discriminating when it comes to film otherwise their proud-and-loud complaints end up sounding apathetic and unfounded.

I agree that people must start thinking more about the films they watch. Everyone loudly complains about crap movies, but who are the first people to berate me when I decline to attend the latest batch of garbage films? People simply have to be more discriminating when it comes to film otherwise their proud-and-loud complaints end up sounding apathetic and unfounded.

Egg-xactly.

The trouble in the U.K and maybe the rest of the world is that so many times we have been told by the movie review press that "this movie is rubbish" and then you see it because it cant really be that bad can it ? Then you reallise that it is actually all right, and the press is wrong. Every now and then they are right but enough people go to see just in case which makes it worth the bother for the Film Co`s. We are kinda dammed if we do and dammed if we dont.

the problem is, different people see movies for different reasons.

sometimes, I want to see a piece of crap movie, because I know it will be funny. Sometimes, I take my nephews to go see a movie like super-dog, or whatever the hell it's called, because obviously, that movie wasn't made for ME, it was made for 7 year olds, and to them, it's a good movie.

Why does everyone care so much about what movies other people are watching and enjoying? If a movie is crap, it won't make money, and eventually the studios that continually produce crap will either die, or change.

But they do, which is what we are discussing.

do they really? What movies do you consider to be crap? I want to know if we're talking about the same movies. Take eragon for instance, I had the unique displeasure of watching this star wars rip off the other day, the movie barely broke even. Audiences know when they see crap, they may see it the first weekend, because it's an "event" but they won't come back the next weekend. Though, they are making a sequel. :|

Besides, let me ask again, what do you all care if they make crap movies or not? Or if people go to see it? It's not like the money that made tristan and isolde was going to go towards solving cancer or something. It's private money, and people's individual choices to go see movies that THEY like, why do you all care so much?

Edited by eugimon

do they really? What movies do you consider to be crap? I want to know if we're talking about the same movies. Take eragon for instance, I had the unique displeasure of watching this star wars rip off the other day, the movie barely broke even. Audiences know when they see crap, they may see it the first weekend, because it's an "event" but they won't come back the next weekend. Though, they are making a sequel. :|

Besides, let me ask again, what do you all care if they make crap movies or not? Or if people go to see it? It's not like the money that made tristan and isolde was going to go towards solving cancer or something. It's private money, and people's individual choices to go see movies that THEY like, why do you all care so much?

if they make a bad flick and it loses money great . i'd expect them not to do it again, lesson learned. however if hollywood chooses to take a reasonably good source material and turn into a lackluster film then that something that consumers shouldn't buy into. however its not like you get a refund if you don't like the movie. your money is gone and whether the film breaks even or exceeds expectations is based on word of mouth . essentially after some unlucky person has already paid their money.Oh and I don't really listen film critics i go with what i think from seeing a trailer and what my friends think of it after they've gone to see it , then i go watch.

you can walk out on a movie and get your money back. you don't have to sit through the whole thing. I did it for hostel.

Really B)) not in the U.K, They dont even like giving refunds when the film gets messed up or theres a power cut. :angry:

Eragon was kinda a good book that got a bit spoilt in the film version plus it came a little too soon after LOTR most people were still sore assed from sitting through that Cinema marathon. In all probability if some one did a Pirate movie it probably wouldnt do so well. Seeing as how we are all pirated out now.

You just know that in a years time theres gonna be a TF clone or idea rip movie comming out, or at least one using the CGI tech used in the film.

I just hope its not a Macross (read Roblowtech) style live action hash job. If it was it would make it very unlikely to ever see the real thing done live action.

Edited by big F

Abyss one of my all time favorite movies I remember seeing it in the cinema we were all OMG and everyone was totally speachless.

Have you seen the director's cut/rerelease? Released after Titanic, and James Cameron took his own money and filmed (or completed the special effects in some shots?) to complete the movie the way he originally wanted it to be? Comparing the two versions (director's vision cut and studio the-film-gets-released-now-despite-it-not-being-completed-make-a-movie-out-of-what-you-have cut) is quite striking.

If I remember correctly, in Canada (or at least BC,) if you left a movie within the first 30 minutes (and still retain the ticket stub,) you'll get a refund (not sure if it's a full or partial refund, or simply a coupon to see a different movie.)

Have you seen the director's cut/rerelease? Released after Titanic, and James Cameron took his own money and filmed (or completed the special effects in some shots?) to complete the movie the way he originally wanted it to be?

Actually, the special edition was first released in 1992.

Edited by Duke Togo

Have you seen the director's cut/rerelease? Released after Titanic, and James Cameron took his own money and filmed (or completed the special effects in some shots?) to complete the movie the way he originally wanted it to be? Comparing the two versions (director's vision cut and studio the-film-gets-released-now-despite-it-not-being-completed-make-a-movie-out-of-what-you-have cut) is quite striking.

Oh yes Whenever there is a choice I always go for the directors cut version. Even if it means I give the non directors cut version that I got when it came out on DVD to my brother.

In the case of Abyss it makes the film I think. The sad thing is sometimes the socalled directors cut edditions are not a lot more than the original release with out takes and a few how we did it docmentries. In these cases you could say the film co is tring to cash in on us, but for the most part they are worth getting.

The sad thing is sometimes the socalled directors cut edditions are not a lot more than the original release with out takes and a few how we did it docmentries. In these cases you could say the film co is tring to cash in on us, but for the most part they are worth getting.

I think those releases are called "special editions". Though, that might just be how they are referred to here in Japan. I never shopped for DVDs in Canada, so I don't know if they are called the same thing or not there. Movie titles do tend to change when brought to Japan, Korea, and other countries. ("Die Hard 4.0" being a timely example.)

The "Abyss" directors edition may have happened after Terminator 2. I don't profess to be a James Cameron expert.

My top 3 for director's cuts are: "Das Boot", "Lord of the Rings", and "Alien". All three substantially improved the story, and its scope.

Edited by sketchley