The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

Yeah, I was thinking tonight---if it never fails, that's good. If it does fail---hopefully it'll be far enough in the future that I'll get the cooler, *QUIETER* version.

Just my luck, if I'd have gotten one with a heatsink--it'd be loud, and never die.

OK, my kid's 360 keeps locking up on Gears. I checked his disc and there are scratches on it now. It does this only with Gears, no other games that I can see. I tried blowing compressed air throughout to clear anything, but it still locks up. Should I get another Gears disc and try it, or should I just call MS and get it fixed? It's only had the RROD once and that was months ago. This system was made in Feb. 06.

I know the price drop is coming and we were thinking of getting an Elite for the HDMI (his birthday is coming up, mine just passed, etc.), but does the Elite come with a transfer kit so we can move our gamesaves, etc. over?

Edited by Chowser

Real disappointed man, as much as i was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Elite version, but it seems to be plagued with problems. I think i would have to grit my teeth and wait for the 45nm version with hopefully improved design for the heat sink, drive placement and graphics unit. Arggh..all the games releasing and i cant play any, for e.g. halo 3, forza 2, NFS prostreet, C&C 3 etc.

MS way of dealing with the Xbox issues sort of reminds me of a similar toy company that does macross, the way it handles the problems/issues of its products...hope you get my drift.

Edited by recon

what a load of crap, son was playing online 20 minutes ago and the system crashed; called Service, I even bought one of those stupid $20 service contracts from Microsoft directly way back when I first got it, and they told me to take the HD off and play a game and see if it locks up again. The service contract is irrelevant since they expanded the warranty to three years, well, then can I get my $20 back????

They are saying it's a corrupt save crashing the system. How does a corrupt save crash the system when playing online?????? They want me to duplicate the conditions of the last crash. Ummm, excuse me, I can't duplicate it if I can't go online without the HD??????? Come on, gimme someone who speaks English.

Sheesh.

:blink:

How can a console corrupt a save? I mean, unless you unplug the thing in mid save or something I always thought it was impossible for a console "save" to be corrupted? Yes these new consoles are "mini computers" but they don't have all the crap going on in them like computers do... a PC, yes I can understand corrupted data, but a console?

The more I hear the more skittish I get about my own 360. It has not had one single problem since the day I bought it... but I feel like a person living with a psychopath, you never know when it's going to "snap".

The 3 year extention only covers 3 red rings of light. It is still 1 year for everything else. My freezes sometimes while playing GRAW 2. I am tempted to the the Halo 3 ED. or Elite. Some of the newer 360's have been shipping with the new heat sinks.

Ok, tried Dead Rising for 30 minutes, got the 2 ring of death for overheating. called MS again and said I had the extended warranty and got tired of it crapping out constantly and scratching up my discs, so they are now sending me a return box out with a one month free trial for live (woopdedo, whatever, i already have a 12 month live account) and a 360 Elite data transfer kit. yeah ok, maybe i'll buy an elite.

I think all current production Elites get the new heatsink. But from looking at it, I really don't see how it can help that much. It's just a small additional set of fins attached to a heatpipe, connected to the standard GPU heatsink. It's tucked way in the corner, above the capacitors, with little air flow----and what airflow it gets goes right past the CPU's heat sink.

IHMO it may radiate a small amount of heat piped to it from the GPU, but it's sure not actively cooling it any better or anything. Perhaps it's simply piping some GPU heat to the CPU sink area? That's almost how it looks to be designed.

65nm and 45nm will make much more difference I think. But 45's pretty far in the future.

:blink:

How can a console corrupt a save? I mean, unless you unplug the thing in mid save or something I always thought it was impossible for a console "save" to be corrupted? Yes these new consoles are "mini computers" but they don't have all the crap going on in them like computers do... a PC, yes I can understand corrupted data, but a console?

It's not unheard of, particularly if a glitchy game makes it to market.

FF3 was REALLY good at corrupting saves when the sketch bug was triggered. Sometimes with incredibly awesome results. Other times with the complete loss of all 3 save files.

360's basically read/write to the save file all the time, so it's always one of their first steps to ask you to remove the HD.

Also, Soul Calibur 3 is known for corrupting its save BIG time. Many threads about it.

I think all Elites got the GPU heatsink from the get go with the 90nm processors.

I know all Elites made during/after July 2007 will have the Falcon boards (65nm processors). The premiums and cores will be awhile until all old stock of the 90nm processor sell out.

The price drop is supposed to happen tomorrow (the 8th), so I'll stop at Target tomorrow and ask if I can look under the tabs of the two Elites they've had in stock since the store opened (July 29th).

I think all Elites got the GPU heatsink from the get go with the 90nm processors.

I know all Elites made during/after July 2007 will have the Falcon boards (65nm processors). The premiums and cores will be awhile until all old stock of the 90nm processor sell out.

The price drop is supposed to happen tomorrow (the 8th), so I'll stop at Target tomorrow and ask if I can look under the tabs of the two Elites they've had in stock since the store opened (July 29th).

If that's true about the 65nm's being manufactured in July, you won't see them in stores till late Aug/ early Sept. most probably.

Still nothing on multi-channel PCM from the 360 HDMI right? I know the Elite doesn't do it, and otherwise have no reason to get a new 360 (as long as my April 06 Premium doesn't give me the red wink of doom).

Any noise/heat reports from people with a 65nm one? (of course, I want a quieter DISC DRIVE more than anything--fan noise doesn't bug me at all)

everything I've read says that the new boxes still have the crap noisey disc drives. Sorry Dave.

Well by now a refurbished replacement would almost certainly have the extra heat sink. But it'll be a long time before refurbs start having HDMI/65nm. Personally I'd send it in right away. (I still don't get how so many people on other forums buy new 360's to replace the old---do they know somewhere to sell old ones for a very large chunk of what it cost to buy in the first place or what?)

Well by now a refurbished replacement would almost certainly have the extra heat sink. But it'll be a long time before refurbs start having HDMI/65nm. Personally I'd send it in right away. (I still don't get how so many people on other forums buy new 360's to replace the old---do they know somewhere to sell old ones for a very large chunk of what it cost to buy in the first place or what?)

Thanks again.

So the best thing to do is to contact Xbox support first?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never had a console die on me like this, but I guess I should have seen it coming with all the problems I see online.

You can fill out the support form online and MS will email you a case number, then they'll want you to call. It might actually save time to just call first, as you'll still have to go through all their generic "help" questions first. Note that MS's automated help is the most annoying I have ever encountered.

To get right to a person, keep saying "agent" until it recognizes the word. Try to emphasize the T, it kept hearing "main" when I tried. I despise voice-recognition software for stuff like that. Plus they hired someone to sound "cool" which is truly obnoxious. Trust me, you'll learn to hate "Max" pretty quickly.

It'll probably save some time/effort if your personal info is at xbox.com already.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact/

That article just says that production on 65nm chips has started. It doesn't give a date that 360's will start showing up in stores with the new chip.

just look for boxes that say "falcon" on the back. They should be in stores in the fall.

You can fill out the support form online and MS will email you a case number, then they'll want you to call. It might actually save time to just call first, as you'll still have to go through all their generic "help" questions first. Note that MS's automated help is the most annoying I have ever encountered.

To get right to a person, keep saying "agent" until it recognizes the word. Try to emphasize the T, it kept hearing "main" when I tried. I despise voice-recognition software for stuff like that. Plus they hired someone to sound "cool" which is truly obnoxious. Trust me, you'll learn to hate "Max" pretty quickly.

It'll probably save some time/effort if your personal info is at xbox.com already.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact/

Thanks again.

Made a call-track, and they're sending me a shipping box.

Weird thing is the system is working now. Oh well, not going to take any chances, so I'll send it in anyway.

Well, I was clearing out space in my DVD towers for future purchases, and decided to get rid of a few games. Bought GC Zelda:TP with most of it, and had some credit left and wanted to get rid of it. Saw they had DOA X2 even cheaper than Target, so decided to buy it. I give it a meh. I do think the original was better. Let's just say the physics have gone from "improbable" to "it completely pulls you out of any possibly immersive environment/suspension of disbelief". Plus the character models are flat-out shiny. It's like their skin is flesh-colored chrome. Finally, I liked the suits in the first one better. None of Ayane's are good, and I've only found 1 from someone else to give to here.

Plus it's fairly well-known that getting ANY achievement is very long and boring to do. Will probably end up with 0/1000 like everyone else. The last 6 months have been very money-wasting for me, last two 360 games I've bought I've been disappointed in. Sigh--summer always sucks. New games always come out in November, and only November. Aren't the manufacturers aware YET that most gamers are older than 12, and get more than 2 games a year? (B-day and Xmas). Yeesh. Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Ace Combat 6, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey---all will come out fairly close together.

I'm getting really sick of "time of plenty" followed by "severe drought" for games every year.