Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Here's the video that was shown at today's BWI.

EDIT: Original link got hammered. Thank God there's YouTube.

Edited by UN Spacy

Here's the video that was shown at today's BWI.

EDIT: Original link got hammered. Thank God there's YouTube.

Really? I loaded it just fine seconds ago. Who's the guy in the video? Interesting that the computer console where his name was on is in Korean and he speaks korean, everyone was cheering. Was that Raynor?

I'm more curios though on the specs on this thing.

Would p4 Northwood with the a mid-end AGP video card still run this?

I'm guessing this thing uses a derivative of the warcraft iii game engine. :unsure:

Edited by grss1982

Looking at the screenshots, sad to say that it looks like the old starcraft with shinier and cleaner graphics. I would've thought they should've reinvent the game altogether.

Better quality movies

Cinematic Trailer

and

Artwork and gameplay footage

Notice the text on the computer terminal is in English now.

Why where the Koreans yelling/screaming over the word "Active"?

Looking at the screenshots, sad to say that it looks like the old starcraft with shinier and cleaner graphics. I would've thought they should've reinvent the game altogether.

Doesn't that hold true for most if not all of the gaming genres (fighting, first person, racing, strategy, rpg)?

Doesn't that hold true for most if not all of the gaming genres (fighting, first person, racing, strategy, rpg)?

I was hoping some sorta revolutionising to the engine like maybe changed it to squad based units like in C&C 3 and WH40k.....better scaled units/buildings, that sorta thing, fully 3D environments with destroyable surroundings...shrug. Maybe make the whole game with the defunct Ghost engine, rather that Warcraft 3 derivative engine.

Was hoping for too much I guess.

what's to reinvent? it's an RTS. And the original game was a 2D sprite based game, so the fancy shmancy 3D engine is more than just a shiny upgrade.

I'm really not expecting some reinvention out of Starcraft II. Hell, the first Starcraft didn't make a name for itself by creating a new genre of games and found some criticism among a few gamers for being Warcraft II in space. What Starcraft did was do a RTS the right way and made for a quality game IMO.

I was one of the 10 people in the universe who didn't like the original in the first place. Get's a big "meh" from me.

Just like your namesake :) One of my best friends is also not a fan of Starcraft. He's a Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander crazy, which are good games too, IMO.

Blizzard should make a movie with the sc2 franchise. All cg. It would be great to be interested in sci fi again after the horrible ending of the aliens franchise. Sc2 could keep the story fun by focusing on the marines. Not unlike the forementioned.

So.. Anyone going to buy the $250 18" Tychus Findlay marine statue?

Edited by marx

what's to reinvent? it's an RTS.

Refer above post. ;)

I didn't really like starcraft as a game but the story rocks so i just play the campaign. The multiplayer I felt was just all about who can come up with the most units 1s to rush the other player.

Refer above post. ;)

I didn't really like starcraft as a game but the story rocks so i just play the campaign. The multiplayer I felt was just all about who can come up with the most units 1s to rush the other player.

Yeah I think there is some truth to winning by numbers.

The only strategy elements I could remember using in sc were for terrans. Build supply depots to block entrance... That was pretty much all I ever did in the multiplayer game and it paid off 90% of the time.

I think the major strategy is not really in the attack but more who can manage their resources the best. Who is the most efficient at making stuff in the game. Tough part was grabbing and stealing resources.

Refer above post. ;)

Of course. That's where we get the video gaming term "Zerg Rush" from :lol: Hell, even non-RTS games use it, even on MMORPGs.

From my memory of Starcraft, the background was the best part and how the 3 factions had enough nuances to stand apart for play preferences. I preferred the hi-tech Protoss and winning with finesse (if my spamming didn't work).

As for system req., someone reminded me on another forum that Blizzard did have a track record of having system req's that shouldn't stress Average Joe's Compy. I'm not sure how World of Warcraft performs, but most of Blizzard's past products didn't require a workout for that little hamster on that wheel inside your Compy.

Edited by Warmaker

Heh, finally. I can't believe it took them this long to just announce the damn thing. I wonder how 2 will stack up now that Relic is burning up the charts with their own excellent RTS endeavors.

*SPOILER*

One thing though, there doesn't seem to be any mention of the hybrid race that had qualities of all three races in it, that was hinted to in Brood War. Think Blizzard is keeping them as a non-playable race or just keeping tight lipped about em?

Edited by Veritas

I just hope the system specs aren't too high for my lil XP computer. I haven't played online games in ages but will again if SC2 is fun and not too much processing power from Warcraft 3.

While I'm glad that a sequel is finally coming out and I do want to pick it up since I want to know where the story goes I'm pretty blah about the whole announcement. Not to excited or hyped. Just seriously annoyed that it took them so god damn long to come out and it looks very similar to the original game but with updated graphics. Not that I have a problem with that but for the long wait the current result doesn't justify it. What the hell took them so long is what I want to know if this is what they have to show for in the end. Granted nothing is final and the speaker in the videos even said that but it looks like this could have maybe been put out five years ago.

Hehehe, the history of criticism repeats. I'm having flashbacks of 1997 :):p

all the way back to 1997? criticizing a product before it comes out is par for course here. :rolleyes:

BTW, blizzard games have never been about the flaashiest graphics, nor even about revolutionary gameplay. They have always made evolutionary improvements to a genre... so really, I don't see why people are expecting them to suddenly produce some kind of groundbreaking game with SC 2.

Edited by eugimon

all the way back to 1997? criticizing a product before it comes out is par for course here. :rolleyes:

BTW, blizzard games have never been about the flaashiest graphics, nor even about revolutionary gameplay. They have always made evolutionary improvements to a genre... so really, I don't see why people are expecting them to suddenly produce some kind of groundbreaking game with SC 2.

Hehehe, no, I meant specifically the criticism of Starcraft II being a Warcraft III clone. That's exactly what 1997 was like, prior to the release of the original Starcraft, claimed by some as a Warcraft II clone :)

I have to agree with you. Like I said earlier, Blizzard has a reputation of doing games right, not reinventing the wheel nor pushing the graphics envelope. Personally, I enjoy the polished, quality games they've released. If more game software companies put in the same effort and quality found in the games by Blizzard, we'd have much less to batty about and the worst we could say would be "too much of the same."

On the contrary, I actually i felt that Blizzard does revolutionise their games somewhat.

War3 brought along RPG elements with the standard RTS to create some interesting strategy options during multiplay. Its flexible game engine and easy-to-use editor package spawned some awesome custom maps.

Starcraft was probably the 1st RTS to successfully create 3 distinct races with different flavours of play but remained balanced enough for multiplayer. And i think for that time, the game engine allowed for a large number of sprites to be on screen and on the map, never before on any other RTS at the time.

I never liked the original SC. Hopefully they improve upon it with what they learned from WCIII though. The graphics look great to me, very fitting. Now, the gameplay has to be up to snuff. I may like this one more than the first even!

It will be interesting to see how it compares to Dawn of War... for obvious reasons (and I just don't mean they're both RTS games..)

Edited by Max Jenius

On the contrary, I actually i felt that Blizzard does revolutionise their games somewhat.

War3 brought along RPG elements with the standard RTS to create some interesting strategy options during multiplay. Its flexible game engine and easy-to-use editor package spawned some awesome custom maps.

Starcraft was probably the 1st RTS to successfully create 3 distinct races with different flavours of play but remained balanced enough for multiplayer. And i think for that time, the game engine allowed for a large number of sprites to be on screen and on the map, never before on any other RTS at the time.

not really, there's a pretty clear path to the creation of the heros in WC3... C&C had unique hero characters that the player either had to keep alive or use to compelte a mission. SC did the same. WC3 then made them upgrade-able.

C&C introduced units that gained experience, blizzard took that idea as well.

Dune 2, released in 1992 had three distinct factions.

Again, blizzard doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, they just make it better.