Re-sale value of Macross Toys

Decon

Up until a month ago, I'd say keeping the 1/48 VF1J Max\Millia giftpacks would be ideal for a re-sale, but their september re-release sort of remedied the prices I'd seen them go for.

1/48 Low Visibility ver 1 is valuable as it's a limited release

1/48 Cannon Fodder is sold out at stores I frequently shop at

1/48 Hikaru's VF1J with fastpacks gift set AND the stealth 1/48 giftset are also discontinued and not that likely to be re-issued.

I doubt any of the other figures are as valuable as these...

Are we just talking modern toys? Here's my bet for toys that will either never be reissued or won't be again for a very long time:

1) LowVis 1

2) Stealth "Special Edition" Combo Pack (they would reissue the armor parts or the valk separately going forward I'd think).

3) WHAM SDF-1 1/5000

4) 1/48 Hayao Kakizake

5) 1/48 GBP II (Woodland)

6) 1/48 LVII

Hmm, that's it for now. I think we will see re-releases eventually of the CF and Super Hikaru but Knight is right at the moment, the toys he listed are becoming scarce.

If you're looking for investments, invest in a roth IRA or something similiar.

The Value of Toys is so volatile that you cannot base your future on them.

Buy Toys to have fun. Buy toys to play with them.

Yeah, that's the obvious answer. I think we should more answer this from the perspective though of someone who may be thinking about ditching the hobby though and wants to know which toys they should hold for a while and then dump later.

theres nothing set in stone as far as whats worth more other than the LV1 as that was limited. otherwise, just sell whenever you see the price jump.

waiting out 10-20 years hoping these go up in price isn't happening.

first, the only people who would be interested in buying these toys are guy our age and we're all already here and even if new guys come, theres plenty of these to go around.

second, any adult who has bought these are keeping them in the best condition possible for the possibility of selling in the future. most of us aren't going to make the same mistake when we we're kids and trash everything. so even 20 years from now you'll see MISB ones as well as MIB ones that are 100% complete with no stickers applied and all that jazz.

I agree...most of the macross and robotech toys that are popping out now will always be around. Im not sure about the masterpiece toys but I think the toys are being held back from flooding the market. I know for the toynamis that there are 15k of each and yet most of the numbers I see floating around are in the lower range. I havent seen any in the 13-15k range being sold. Weird...

As for the yamatos do any of you think the vf-1s first version will command a premium in the future? I picked up first versions of the yamatos that came out a while back and have been holding back on opening it up simply because they are first versions.

Or are they worth holding onto instead of the later versions that are being remade?

theres nothing set in stone as far as whats worth more other than the LV1 as that was limited. otherwise, just sell whenever you see the price jump.

first, the only people who would be interested in buying these toys are guy our age and we're all already here and even if new guys come, theres plenty of these to go around.

second, any adult who has bought these are keeping them in the best condition possible for the possibility of selling in the future. most of us aren't going to make the same mistake when we we're kids and trash everything. so even 20 years from now you'll see MISB ones as well as MIB ones that are 100% complete with no stickers applied and all that jazz.

I know for the toynamis that there are 15k of each and yet most of the numbers I see floating around are in the lower range. I havent seen any in the 13-15k range being sold. Weird...

I can attest to the fact that Hikaru and Roy have gone into the 13K plus level. That isn't to say hidden inventory won't pop up but those two MPC figures definitely made it the whole way through. Also, the Archer figure had only a 5K run and the two I've handled were both in the 4900 range so I think it's safe to say those were all released. As to the MPC Alphas... I'm more skeptical there. In fact, I'm starting to think the 10K-15K number will be what Aoshima releases.

As for the yamatos do any of you think the vf-1s first version will command a premium in the future?

I honestly really doubt it. The production number is unknown and the second editions are all just actual improvements. I *think* first editions tend to be more valuable because later editions feature simplifications in the manufacturing process or improvements for child-safety which typically make the later editions less cool than the first editions. This isn't the case with the Yammy.

As for the yamatos do any of you think the vf-1s first version will command a premium in the future? I picked up first versions of the yamatos that came out a while back and have been holding back on opening it up simply because they are first versions.

Or are they worth holding onto instead of the later versions that are being remade?

for those who know better, no. why would anyone buy a subpar toy when theres a better version available?

for those who don't know better, yes. as they say, theres a sucker born everyday.

for those who have to have every version for the sake of it, yes....but i can't say they'd pay a lot for it. if they're into collecting like that, they'll know that the 1st issues of the 1S roy and 1A hikaru were flawed and won't pay much more than the latter versions IMO but thats just my opinion. but whos really to say? someone on ebay might pay $500 for it but that falls into the "they don't know better" catagory. :D

This time last year Some shops in Tokyo were pumping out the last dregs of thier 1/48 Hikies and CF`s for about £50 or less. Just shows how things change. I just didnt have the room last year.

The main trouble with future MISB is that everyman and his dog now collects with that in mind. a friend of mine bought every new boxed StarWars figure from the Reworked 4,5,6 through to TPM He got one to take out of the packing and one for MIB. He Killed himself Finacialy and mentally, and now has a collection that is only really worth what he paid for it.

Where as another friend bought the Toy Story dolls (the ones everyone fought over at Christmas back in the day) in a bargin bin sale at the local Toymart these are still mint in box and apparently are already going up quite nicely in value.

The trick is knowing what a future classic may be and hoping everyone doesnt realise the same. Kids toys semm to be good for this as most kids just open em up toss the carton and smash em up in three days.

we should try to run some sort of long term experiment with toy investing. basically each us would get an imaginary $200 to buy whatever toy we think will be worth something 1 year(or longer) from now and see if the value goes up. it could be fun. :)

with my $200, i'd probably buy something in the ways of disney and probably some power ranger toys. i'm pretty sure the kids of today will be paying out the ass for PR stuff when they grow up and disney toys is kind of a given. i wouldn't really invest in macross or any other obscure toy line...though sometimes that kind of thing can work for you.

i'd go with ex chogokin getter black version that will

probably keep going up along with the rest in that series

I wish i 2 or 3 grand to blow on those. <_<

Amen to that brutha! And if you have enough for spare change, how about put more on that 401K.

At first I thought I could save these toys for later to sell, but I'm dishing out a lot of money for boxes that sits in the closet.

Time to open these babies up!

we should try to run some sort of long term experiment with toy investing. basically each us would get an imaginary $200 to buy whatever toy we think will be worth something 1 year(or longer) from now and see if the value goes up. it could be fun. :)

with my $200, i'd probably buy something in the ways of disney and probably some power ranger toys. i'm pretty sure the kids of today will be paying out the ass for PR stuff when they grow up and disney toys is kind of a given. i wouldn't really invest in macross or any other obscure toy line...though sometimes that kind of thing can work for you.

Ooh, pretty neat idea! For U.S. toys, I'd say buy those Sigma Six figures, especially the Duke Parachutes and Destro.

For that experiment, Having a daughter I would have to buy the collector barbies that come out. We just spent $60.00 for the Wiz of OZ winkie guard and Winkie monkey to complete her set. And that was a steal. original pricw $30.00. Oh and they where just released.

for me, Id rather buy the toys and then sell them later when I need the money. Its OK if I dont get any profit or lose some money out of em because if I dont buy them, I would have already spend them for other stuff that are not resell-able (food, junkies, etc2). As a macross fan, another advantage is I can oogle, drool and handle the magnifcent piece of engineering of my favourite anime. I dont treat my toys as investments, but more as a bank account. When I need the money, all I have to do is sell them. And then I would smile, thinking that at least, I didnt spend the money for junkies.

Edited by aaajin

I'll sell my collection when I get moved into a nursing home.

And yes, the Yamato's will last till then. If they don't, you're treating them wrong.

Ive actually noticed that Macross items dont gain in value quite like transformers unless they are a limited edition or thier isnt anything being released. Ive actually been collecting transformers for my son and so far on the books its about 200% my macross only seems to climb to 150% (mainly due to the lowVis and it creeps back down when they rerun the planes

The problem with Macross is that the Fanbase is not as big as Transformers fanbase. That's why Transformers toys' value most of the time always go higher than Macross toys.

Like what everyone said, invest in 401K Plan or IRA. For those of you who don't like people managing your money, you can choose a PCRA (Personal Choice Retirement Account), which is also a 401K but the difference is that you invest the money yourself in securities and funds :) Some benefits of 401K:

- You can actually take out the 401k money (before retirement) as a loan with the interests payment made back to your own account (not bank).

- For first time home buyers, you can actually take out the money with no penalties to purchase property (I think you have to paid tax on it). Last time I heard you can only take out $10k (which buys you nothing in Bay Area California ;) ). Hopefully they will bump up the amount.

Edited by rnurmin

I`d Probably invest in the current line of Dr Who figures and playsets, They are obscure enough to allow you to get them all, good quaility packing and toys, and no special limmited editions to have to mess with. In 10 years time they will be all wanted by the early 20`s kids who had them when they were children. Investing in TF`s is a given but choosing the right toyline is the trick.

Im betting on the Cybertronian Classics, The slight remakes that have Astrotrain,Starscream, BumbleBee, HotRod and Jetfire in the range. They are new enough to be able to get anywhere and will apeal to the G1 parents who are buying for there kids in some sort of nostalgia kick.

backordered on hlj means that they have more orders for this item but no stock, however, they have their suppliers provide more ASAP.

FYI, the strike parts were on yellow backorder when I placed an order for them, and I got them processed for my order before they shifted to "in stock".

Somehow on topic, seriously guys, nobody's getting kakizaki's valkyrie? Even with a 20% sale, it still hasn't shifted to even low stock and it's been over three weeks. I caved in and bought one as my first yamato valk...

• 3 weeks later...

imo yamato toys depending on which one are a pretty bad investment. roy fokkers get reissued 3x or more and the white plastic they use yellows. I keep all my yamatos in a dark closet to try to prevent the yellowing, but none of my bandai reissues have yellowed at all. my vf-1a first yamato I ever bought has a yellow wing and some other plastic is yellow. transformers toys go up and down, so do macross. When the dot coms were booming, I used to see most C8+ bandai valks go for $1000+, now they hardly ever reach that amount unless it's a C9-C10 elint or super-o. but even then they might only fetch $800 tops. It all depends now on who is looking. I'd kill for a super-o sometimes but it's pricey and I've since moved on from macross since bandai lost interest sadly.

Somehow on topic, seriously guys, nobody's getting kakizaki's valkyrie? Even with a 20% sale, it still hasn't shifted to even low stock and it's been over three weeks. I caved in and bought one as my first yamato valk...

people demanded it get made, said how easy it would be and how everyone would buy it, then they didn't.

yet another example of why they shouldn't listen to people rambling on a mesaggeboard. :lol:

people demanded it get made, said how easy it would be and how everyone would buy it, then they didn't.

yet another example of why they shouldn't listen to people rambling on a mesaggeboard. :lol:

That and it came after a long series of other coloured VF-1s. If the Kakizaki was released way earlier (before we all ran out of storage space), I am sure it would have sold much better.

yet another example of why they shouldn't listen to people rambling on a mesaggeboard.

It's probably due to all the other stuff being released as well. If they space releases apart rather than have everything release at once then there is more healing time for wallets and people don't have to prioritise thier purchase and risk having something there they cant buy yet, with an item just sitting on a shelf.

Low vis is an example of people reacting to it with "meh" and then wanting one as they apreciate it. Even though it looks boring and cannon fodderish. I bet they were thinking:"I must get all the other stuff first and maybe I will get the lv after I have got all the existing releases. (ie the buyer must prioritise purchase instead of get it all at once)

The order of importantce probably goes like this:

1. popular characters (seen a lot in the anime, or a character-specific color to it like tv max. The ace pilots get distinction above the others)

2. unpopular characters (cannon fodder, kakizaki)

3. non-canon paintschemes (low vis, stealth, woodland camo valk)

4. canon schemes that are special (angel birds)

So the ones at the top are the ones to buy first. The ones on the bottom are, "I might buy these once I have all that I can buy of the stuff above it". Does not mean it won't be wanted in future. Just that right now the wallet is limited in its ability to buy everything. :D

Space them apart to fix the probs and in time I bet all the others who have cleared space, or decided to sell some of the duplicates they have, will eventually buy the less popular schemes.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker