1/72 Scale U.S.S. Enterprise

Fine Scale Modeller had this ship featured on an issue some years ago, many pages, even a foldout, dedicated to it. Very impressive build.

The best thing is that the ship itself was scratchbuilt, a very impressive feat for a project this size.

The site says he started the project many years ago. Possibly he's retired by now, so he's not planning on going anywhere.

Some of the retired guys who still work on models make some really great stuff.

Experience + Lots of Free Time = Great results!

I met a guy in Florida who scratchbuilt a large scale replica of the USS Forrestal that was also featured in Fine Scale Modeler. It was just phenomenal seeing it in person. He keeps it in his garage oddly enough, since I think I remember him saying that no one seemed to want it for a museum.

The Enterprise is very cool. That site that it's featured on seems to have other scratchbuilt carriers.

Edited by Capt Hungry

Guest sh002

1/72 SDF-1 arms would be cool. Before I clicked on this thread I thought someone built a 1/72 Star Trek Enterprise.

Edited by sh002

[attachmentid=42087]

Check out this FSM review of Arii's VF-1S in 1984!

I have every issue of FSM since 1982 minus 2 or 3 from the mid nineties.

Here are the big aircraft carriers...

FSM March 1999, Jerry Shaw's 1/96 scale USS Forrestal, pgs 55-60.

FSM March 1997, Gabe Suranyi's 1/72 scale USS Enterprise, pgs 61-65.

FSM January 1992, Experimental Aircraft Association's 1/72 WW2 Enterprise, pgs 28-35.

FSM August 1987, Richard Quinlan's 1/72 scale USS Nimitz, pgs 22-25.

"In January 1984 Richard Quinlan of Decatur, Illinois, found an advertisement from Super Ships of Lake Park, Florida, for a 1/72 scale Nimitz-class aircraft carrier hull. "The ad said the hull was more than 15' long assembled and 'only for the dreamer,' so I had to have it," Richard told FSM."

pure sweet!

:)

-THOR

post-1862-1177121847_thumb.jpg

Edited by THOR

Before I clicked on this thread I thought someone built a 1/72 Star Trek Enterprise.

Now that would be cool but about 40 foot long. Man you`d have to be dedicated and rich to do that. A dining room table just wouldnt do.

Thanks Thor! I've only been buying/subscribing to FSM on and off since '90. I wouldn't have dreamed they would do a valk review. I've never seen any other anime in there articles (not including galleries) for years. - MT

MT,

I think your work should be in FSM. There are many here that do sci-fi very well and should be in FSM. I wrote to FSM once asking they do more in sci-fi because frankly I'm burnt out on Shermans, Tigers, Mustangs, and '57 Chevy's. Of course they have a deaf ear. To them, Star Trek/Wars are the only acceptible sci-fi modeling subjects.

We need to get a Valk or Supersylph on the deck of one of those carrier models for a photo shoot!

-THOR

Absolutely Amazing! I remember when i went to the Simthsonian Air & Space Museum a couple of years back they a had a large scale Aircraft Carrier Model much like this one (don't recall the ship though) and it was hands down one of the intricate pieces of work a single person has ever done. I tried to take pictures, but since i only had a standard throw away camera that day, the flash bounced off the protective plexi-glass display it was behind (no touching heh) and came out like crap. Makes me wonder why i can't get off my lazy ass and even finish a Gundam model every now and then. :mellow:

Edited by Veritas

[attachmentid=42087]

Here are the big aircraft carriers...

FSM March 1999, Jerry Shaw's 1/96 scale USS Forrestal, pgs 55-60.

FSM March 1997, Gabe Suranyi's 1/72 scale USS Enterprise, pgs 61-65.

FSM January 1992, Experimental Aircraft Association's 1/72 WW2 Enterprise, pgs 28-35.

FSM August 1987, Richard Quinlan's 1/72 scale USS Nimitz, pgs 22-25.

"In January 1984 Richard Quinlan of Decatur, Illinois, found an advertisement from Super Ships of Lake Park, Florida, for a 1/72 scale Nimitz-class aircraft carrier hull. "The ad said the hull was more than 15' long assembled and 'only for the dreamer,' so I had to have it," Richard told FSM."

pure sweet!

-THOR

I would love to see the 1/72 USS Enterprise out of WWII. All the other subjects are modern carriers, but to see an older ship design along with the proper aircraft for the period would have been great to see.

I used to have the issue with the USS Forestal.

Yeah, rock the boat baby! I stopped subscribing because I was getting used to the same subjects too. Of course now I pay the newstand price (or my wife who's sweet enough to think of me and pick me one up when she's out)!? When I finish the Daedalus (one of these days), I'll submit a photos spread and article. We'll see if that makes it in. Here that brothas', submit your work to FSM and save us from boredom! - MT