Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

not exactly pic related, but i'm getting rid of my lasermax and m3x tac light that was on my Glock 22 in my Macross and Trigun for sale thread.

also, on my Glock 19 (2nd gen, the pic above), these are the things I did to it:

maritime cups

Meprolight night sights

3.5 # connector (for lighter trigger pull)

extended slide release lever

Hogue Grip (does this count?)

Plug for the hole in the bottom :)

----

Right now, I am trying to get my dept. to purchase the FSS-G mod for it so I can make full use of my 33 rd mags. But I've had no luck, I should've had the old chief sign the letter (he was chief for 50 years, and he was from the OLD days, he signed anything ;) )

Edited by Chowser

What I really like about the H&K vs the Glock are the everyday features the H&K has that the Glock doesn't.

The slide release on the Glocks is too low profile for my tastes, on the larger caliber Glocks, it is damn near painful to hit the thing and drop the slide.

The magazine release is spartan as all hell.

There's no hammer, and no decocker.

As others have mentioned, Glock offers an extended slide release, which is much easier to use, yet still low-profile enough for both concealed or uniform carry. I shot my G21 in IPSC for several years and never had any difficulty using the standard slide release and I only have medium size hands.

Anyway, some clarification is on order. Glock doesn't actually refer to it as a 'Slide Release'. It's actually a 'Slide Stop Lever'. Glocks philosophy is that it is for locking back, i.e. stopping the slide only and the correct way to release the slide is to use your weak hand to pull back and release the slide. Of course, there will be times when your weak hand is being used for something else and you will need to use your thumb to trip the slide.

You say "There's no hammer, and no decocker" like that's a bad thing? The stiker fired 'safe action trigger system', with it's consistant shot-to-shot trigger pull doesn't require either a hammer or decocker. Gaston Glock designed his pistols to be as snag-free as possible, without any extraneous levers, switches, gadgets, gee-gaws, bells and whistles on the exterior surface to provide for a smooth draw, thus minimising the chance of the pistol getting cought up in clothing during the draw.

While HK make good quality firearms, if I had to choose between a USP 45 and a Glock 21, I'd take the G21 any day. I've fired the USP and didn't like the mushy trigger, the 1 rd lower capacity and the larger percieved size (not sure if actual size is bigger or not). Mostly I'd choose the G21 beacuse of it's lower bore axis. For me it has the least muzzle flip of any 45 I've ever shot. I personally find the G21 to be the softest shooting 45 ever, with minimal felt recoil and almost no muzzle flip. On the other hand the USP has a very high bore axis and I found shooting it, my shot-to-shot times, were much slower.

Anyway, firearms preference is a highly individual thing and we are lucky enough that there are still enough manufacturers that make something for everybody to like.

Graham

Call me old fashioned but I love this gun. The German Embassy gave it as a present to my father and now he gave it to me!!

A 9mm Carl Walther P 38, it's a great gun. I normally don't show guns but just a pic for the Transformers fans (if you know what I mean) :lol: :

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

not exactly pic related, but i'm getting rid of my lasermax and m3x tac light that was on my Glock 22 in my Macross and Trigun for sale thread.

also, on my Glock 19 (2nd gen, the pic above), these are the things I did to it:

maritime cups

Meprolight night sights

3.5 # connector (for lighter trigger pull)

extended slide release lever

Hogue Grip (does this count?)

Plug for the hole in the bottom :)

----

Right now, I am trying to get my dept. to purchase the FSS-G mod for it so I can make full use of my 33 rd mags. But I've had no luck, I should've had the old chief sign the letter (he was chief for 50 years, and he was from the OLD days, he signed anything ;) )

Do you ever have any problems with the night sights going out? on my Kimber eclipse, 2 of them went out after about 1000 rnds (no hot loads either). I do like them, when they work. Which reminds me, i have to go have another one put in, and the other is a little dull :(

Do you ever have any problems with the night sights going out? on my Kimber eclipse, 2 of them went out after about 1000 rnds (no hot loads either). I do like them, when they work. Which reminds me, i have to go have another one put in, and the other is a little dull :(

I've had the Mepro lights on my Glock 19 for just under a year with no fading. My Trijicons on my HK have been on threeyears and looks like they are starting to dim. The PT night sights on my duty weapon (just under 2 years) are so dim, it's useless. I keep asking them if I can get rid of them and put Mepro lights on, but they said no since i am switching to a glock 23, but it's been in the safe for about 2 years and it's sights are going to be dim as well. Stay away from PT Night sights.

My partner's had Mepro lights on his backup for 4 years now and they are still going strong. I'm sticking with Mepro light now, they're cheaper than Trijicons too.

Well, I soon inherit an original Kar98, problem is finding the right ammo for it. And I also get an officer edition luger from WW2.

Are you kidding me? Assuming you're down in the States, surplus 8x57 ammo is bountifull and cheaper than dirt. I wish it was as easy for me to get it here in Canada. If you want, I'll PM you a billion links to online retailers who sell 8mm.

Provided you have the appropriate permits, of course.

Aw crap! I just found out via a Canadian gun message board that milsurp importer Marstar is bringing a bunch of SVT-40 rifles into the country. Damn, and I was just about out of debt. There goes my planned purchase of a Pulse Rifle kit. :(

Soviet-SVT.jpg

Well, I soon inherit an original Kar98, problem is finding the right ammo for it. And I also get an officer edition luger from WW2.

Are you kidding me? Assuming you're down in the States, surplus 8x57 ammo is bountifull and cheaper than dirt. I wish it was as easy for me to get it here in Canada. If you want, I'll PM you a billion links to online retailers who sell 8mm.

Provided you have the appropriate permits, of course.

Interestingly enough, www.cheaperthandirt.com has it REALLY cheap. Im gonna say that the remington and winchester ammo is better than federal and PMC here.

Aw crap! I just found out via a Canadian gun message board that milsurp importer Marstar is bringing a bunch of SVT-40 rifles into the country. Damn, and I was just about out of debt. There goes my planned purchase of a Pulse Rifle kit. :(

Soviet-SVT.jpg

You play Airsoft too?

My Trijicons on my HK have been on threeyears and looks like they are starting to dim.

those are the ones that I have :(

i am going to stay away from Trijicons and PT night sights, I just made the recommendation for us to switch to Meprolights when we do replace the current sights.

It's my birthday and my wife just told me she preordered the HK P2000SK for me through my buddy (the gun runner, as I call him) at dealer cost! Woohoo, what better present for your husband than a new gun! Now, I just have to wait for HK to release it!!!

:D:D:D:D

Interestingly enough, www.cheaperthandirt.com has it REALLY cheap. Im gonna say that the remington and winchester ammo is better than federal and PMC here.

FYI, all new off-the-shelf 8x57 ammo is seriously underpowered. The story I was told was that this is because there's a lot of older 8mm rifles that predate the Kar98, and that manufacturers don't want to be too harsh on them.

AFAIK, most of the surplus stuff is perfectly servicible, but I'd stay away from the Turkish stuff if I could help it. It's a bit hotter than most, but you wind up with a lot of split necks and cases. The Portugese stuff is very nice, so is the Yugo. there's even WW2 German stuff out there.

Damn, my country's import laws suck ass. :(

You play Airsoft too?

Are you referring to the Pulse Rifle I'd wanted to buy? no, it wasn't going to be airsoft. Airsoft is too expensive up here to be a decoration, worse still once I import the conversion kit. no, I was going to buy the "static" resin kit that Monsters in Motion sells.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Har har har! I dug up the old firearms thread once more! This is just a general question for you Marylanders out there. Have any of you been to Select-Fire's range in Glen Burnie? Just curious as I am to understand that they are the only Class III dealer in Maryland, and I am itching to buy a submachine gun. Yeah, I already know the rules and such as they pertain to Maryland, and I can afford the $200 transfer tax. However, I may not be able to afford the gun. I'll probably have to sell a lung or something...

So, have any of you fired at this range? If so, is it worth it?

I myself have never been to anything but tourist traps in Maryland but if you need help filling out or submitting your BATF Form 4, or need any advice on getting the CLEO signature I have helped several local LEOs get their Class III weapons. I myself don't own a Class III yet mainly because the guns I want cost as much as a car... cough cough M16costs10grand cough cough wheeze cough MP5costsasmuchasaboat... cough... If money is a hard item to come by you might want to look into registered DIAS weapons or perhaps one of the lesser Submachine guns like the Cobray M10/45 or Ingram M11A1. Yes they are cracker-jack weapons but they tend to be less than two grand in like new shape, can mount a suppressor (for when the next form 4 comes a' calling) and they are a blast to shoot.

Ooh! Get a Thompson! If your (silly) AWB sunsets this month, maybe you can import one of these beauties.

1928A1-boxed.jpg

They found a crate of 1928 Thompsons somewhere, and they'll eventually be for sale. Of course, there's all of 100 people in Kanuckistan who are grandfathered to buy one, but if your laws change then maybe one can be yours.

1928A1-detail-02.jpg

Well, for starters those Thompsons would technically be pre 1986 Class III weapons and subject to civilian purchase... IF they where in the United States that is. The trick here is that they would have to be imported and according to the BATF and the 1986 National Firearms Act in reguard to machine guns, no Class III weapon may be imported for sale to the general public after 1986... only weapons that were already Class III and already inside the continental US and on the books in US hands on or before 1986 are legally ownable by common citizens. Everything that has come after is what is known as either a Post-Sample or a LEO Sample, both of which are only legally "ownable" by either a Law Enforcement Entity (such as a sherriff's department) or a Class II dealer/manufacturer who technically does not "own" the weapon but is building it and holding it in trust for one of the aforementioned Law Enforcement Entities.

Sucks, don't it?

So, what do you experts expect once the AWB ends on 09/13/04 if is it not renewed?

I am looking at picking up a pair of rifles and for a while I have been eyeing the Armalite AR-10, possibly an A2 or the newest T variant in .308 and something smaller and fun for "plinking" possibly a lever action.

I am a little hesitant to do anything for a little while though on the AR-10 front because I expect that there will be some temporary price gouging based on the uncertainty of law changes. What do you guys think?

As far as a small bore, target rifle what do you guys like?

I am a gun noob, I have shot several mini-14's, 12 and 410 guage shotguns and a number of pistols in the past, but I have never owned or had to maintain a gun so I am looking for a little advice.

I am talking to the locals too, but most of my contacts are dealers trying to sell me something rather than giving me honest advice.

As for the AWB I know of several retailers and manufacturers who have already started building unstamped pre-ban capacity magazines and pre-ban configuration weapons... several even started taking CC numbers to reserve said items so as soon as the ban walks away the sale of the items will begin.

As for the "legal issue" with the ban sunsetting, technically the second after the ban expires any and all things covered by the ban are no longer enforceable so people right and left will be "pre-banning" all their weapons... even though there is no real effective gain in doing so. This "Omnibus Crime Bill" as it is supposed to be called was a very stupid thing to begin with... outlawing weapons based on their looks rather than their lethality was just plain knee-jerk and very "appease the people" sort of move. I myself have never really had an issue with the ban outside of the fact that it technically banned nothing (as all the weapons reappeared weeks later under different names and in new post-ban "politically correct" configurations.

I still think a last minute rally in congress with renew it and I also believe that if it does sunset that it will be replaced shortly with an actual bill that really does outlaw the weapons they sort of half-assedly tried to outlaw. I'd like to think that they would have learned from this bill that "banning" weapons is like telling a child they cannot have a piece of cake... it just makes people want them more and the demand actually goes up for those items. Plus if they look at the numbers "assault" weapons barely account for 1% of all homicides in the US (if that, with handguns dominating the numbers at well over 50%).

Then again with the election coming up soon I think no politician wants to be known as the one who renewed the ban this soon. The gun people can really get out the vote when they feel "wronged".

If the ban expires I'm going straight to my local Wal-Mart to buy a brand new mini-14. I'm going to take it home, put a flash-hider,bayonet lug a 30rnd mag and pistol grip stock on it just because I can. I just don't know if I'll be able to control the bloodlust unleashed by such an 'evil" collection of parts. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is quite funny but I just did some quick internet poking at my usual firearm board stomping grounds and for all intensive purposes the Omnibus Crime Bill is pretty much a thing of the past. Even several news sites are reporting that congress has in effect "given up" on getting it renewed... so unless some massive filibuster or strange quirk of logic occurs in the next day or two the law will sunset and go into history as just another chapter in the world of attempted arms control.

For those asking about prices from what I can see the only "hit" the gun market is going to take is on all the inflated prices on "pre-ban" weapons. Now rather than being the only way to have the "evil features" they will just become "old guns". Who wants to buy a 15 year old weapon when they can buy a better quality new one made using modern materials and techniques that has all the same "features"?

As for "rushing out and buying" something the only thing on my list is to get the "pre-ban" kit for my SP-10, which special weapons started taking preorders on a month or so back.

Edit: another thing to watch is if places like eBay remove their own self-imposed "assault weapon" bans along with the real law... they should as now the things once known as assault weapons become just normal guns again and technically their parts are just like any other gun part sold on eBay. If eBay keeps their little political move going then we'll know for sure the colors they fly.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

The sad thing is to almost all Californians the Mini-14 is as close to an AR they can get... the Omnibus Crime Bill may be sunsetting but the Kalifornia law it was based on (or vice versa) is not. Poor Kalifornians... perhaps Arnold can do something about that for you guys. :ph34r:

Can they even have a mini? I thought semi-auto and removeable mags were outlawed by the liberal nazis.

To my understanding their laws are not that restrictive yet. The California law almost exactly mirriors the Omnibus Crime Bill except that instead of limiting the way manufacturers can make weapons the Cali law just forbids any weapons that can be classified as "assault weapons" by having any of the evil features with a detatchable magazine. The Mini-14 and it's like clone the Ranch do not posess any of the "evil" features like pistol grips, bayonet lugs or flash hiders so they are legal as far as I know. Most of my knowledge of the subject comes from an old guns magazine I have that compares the AR15 to the Mini-14 in a side by side shootout... the writer wrote the article (as he put it) for Californians who could not own the "infamous" AR15 and wanted something similair...

... although the Mini-14 is about as similair to the AR series as a rambler wagon is to the mustang. Just because they run the same gas does not make them "alike".