1/48 Yellowing?

HoveringCheesecake

I'm really concerned that my 1/48's will start to yellow, even though I don't keep them in sunlight.

For people who bought the original 1/48's way back when Hikaru 1A was released/around then, have you noticed any yellowing? I've only had my cannon fodder for a year now, and I think my eyes might just be playing a trick on me.

PS. I used the search function, and a whole lot of crap came up. I'm sure this has been covered before, so don't jump all over me. :ph34r:

As long as you don't prolong light exposure (artificial or otherwise) keep it behind glass (even better with a tint film, but in the house will do) and avoid excessive heat (mine are nowhere near a heater) and moisture and maybe cigarette smoke, it should be fine for years to come. By then your eyesight would have deteriorated so much that you wouldn't notice anyway. :p

Bought my 1/48's since day one and no yellowing at all!!!

The only Yamato that has some yellowing is my 1/60 Hikaru, but only the srew covers, hands and nose plug (they're from a different plastic).

All the others are ok (started mty collection december 2001).

I got one of the original 1/48 VF-1A Hikaru's when it first came out and I assure you after being displayed all this time it is the same shade as my brand new VF-1S I just got. My 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru on the other hand show some yellowing. And my Toynami 1/55 VF-1 Dixon is majorly yellow (kind of funny since I just read one Toynami lover saying that Yammie lovers' claim that Toynami uses cheap plastic is unfounded).

vinnie

Well, I'm no Toynami lover but I do own many and not a single one is yellowed. I have treated all my toys the same and only one shows yellowing... a 1/60 VF-1A CF TRU (only on two landing gear doors though). I've seen a 1/48 go for sale with "slight yellowing" but I believe it had been used in a store display so it would be under the worst conditions (constant light) possible. Leave any toy in the sun or under light constantly and it will yellow

Mine are all fine as far as I can tell. Infact the only yellowing I have noticed is on my Bandai TF Jetfire which is well over 20 years old as it was bought as soon as it was available in the U.K. One other TF has yellowed silghtly (it was LightBlue to start with) but it is also 18 years old.

All mine have had the full sunlight treatment and only reacently have I really started to shade them etc.

As far as brittle is concerned everyone is box fresh except the Jetfires, Who all have problems with the Fast Packs, This was a different plastic though.

Tomorow I know I`ll wake up and my display cases will be full of piles of yellow dust now I`ve said that.

Yellowing is pretty long term in terms of problems. it doesnt often occour this soon into a toys life, unless left ina REALLY bad environment. i wouldnt anticipate it being a problem for a few years yet

LOL... just when people start breathing sighs of relief Scream Man brings the cold hard rain of reality to their parades.

The one toy I have with any significant yellowing is my SuperOstrich. So sad but fortunately it's minimal and only in a couple spots. Who knew that those little windows in the boxes could be so damaging...

is there a cure for yellowing? like a magic wax or something?

Paint. As the article above says, the yellowing is because the plastic itself is deteriorating into a slightly different type of plastic than it originally was, not because of any surface substance.

Although that's not quite true. If you brought some sandpaper to your toy, you could sand off the top layer of yellowed plastic, exposing the next layer of plastic to the air and light and heat.

but ideally is there a difference in color? it seems that the Vf1s roy is th eonly pure white one and everything else is like dirty white.. can anyone confirm this? of course with the exception of the angel bird, but it seems that way.. the like the VF1S hikaru and all the other VF1A DYRL are slightly off color white

I just replaced a VF-1J Hikaru's BP8 with one from a Focker VF-1S and there is absolutely no difference in color, looks dead stock. Some people have sworn though that their VF-1S is different from their VF-1Js so my only guess there would be that different reissues might have slightly different color to them.

but ideally is there a difference in color? it seems that the Vf1s roy is th eonly pure white one and everything else is like dirty white.. can anyone confirm this? of course with the exception of the angel bird, but it seems that way.. the like the VF1S hikaru and all the other VF1A DYRL are slightly off color white

I believe this is just an optical illusion. I replaced the back plate on my Hikaru VF-1A with the back plate from a Hikaru VF-1J and the white is the same. I think all of the primarily white valks are the same shade of white, but the other colors on the toy play tricks on our eyes.