Fans that actually works for a toy company

Agent-GHQ

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but I was just curious to see if there are fans of Macross or any other animation based toy fans that actually work for toy company, regardless of your title or position. Or has worked at a toy company before. Not just Yamato but other toy company too like Hasbro or Toynami etc. Imagine one of us working at Yamato going to work everyday. That has to be an exciting experience!

Well back in the day I worked for Bandai/Nintendo when the Snes and Gameboy just came out. Not as Glamourous as you might think. Spent all day in a work shop fixing broken customer returns listening to the same bit of Mario music played on dozens of t.v monitors, most of the staff went nuts in the end. I tranasfered to the warehouse and kept my sanity.

I did get to play with the Prototypes of the Gameboy colour, bear in mind this was many years before they eventually released it due to the price of mini lcd screens. cool at the time but people soon got sick of me saying I can play that in colour at work.....

I should have been more inteligent and bought up the Macross stuff they had in the warehouse. I could have retired by now.

I would love to work for Takra or Hasbro, Hell at the moment I`d just settle for working in a Model shop again.

Edited by big F

I worked as contract designer / consultant for Hasbro Malaysia for about 5 years, 5 years ago... during the Furby, TF Beastwars, Transmetal, SW Ep. 4 & 5, Pixar Disney Toy Story 1 & 2 up till Monster Inc craze.

I come in when Hasbro US or it's Asia regional HQ, Australia did not provide sufficient retail advertising support for its Malaysia and Singapore branch offices. I was appointed by the Malaysia office because internationally, Hasbro was engaged to its own ad agency and their retail advertising and visual mechandising billing was astronomical. So my job was to help them save money in a small way.

During my time there, I had the opportunity to get my hands on some hard-to-get SW and TF merchandize, saw and played with toys not due in the marketplace for another 6 or so months.

Working for them has been fun but helluva stress too because retail and merchandising design = long hours, VERY tight finished visual deadlines, many dead brain cells, enduring the monotony of design repetition, adaptation etc...

Aside from expanding one's experience and portfolio, I had the privilege to work with some of the most brilliant marketing, production people in the market, see and learn from what they do. The experience was precious and good.

I know one MWer that works for a HK based toy manufacturer, but the toys they make are not the sort of stuff that would interest us.

As BoB said, people in the toy biz tend to work very long hours.

Back when Yamato still had a HK office, I used to hang out there a lot and it was common for the staff not to leave before 9pm (sometimes later). As much as it would be interesting working for a company that makes Macross toys, I'd hate to work those sort of hours.

Graham

huh.. I worked for Games Workshopâ„¢ Germany long time ago ;)

many of u know them from the citadel paints or Warhammer Game

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

Seems to me like working for a toy company would be rather... boring? Perhaps it is because I have no interest in business, who knows.

Edited by meh_cd

Guess that means my turn for a post.

I am running the operations for an online toys & collectibles retail store.

At the same time

I am performing the project developments for Popbox Collectibles.

which at the moment, we are developing the 1/6 Max figure and 1/6 Hikaru Pilot Flight Suit.

Also on-going projects of the 1/2 scale i,Robot NS-4 electronic bust as well as projects on the upcoming Transformers Movie.

Noel

PICS?!?!?!

I get accused of working for Toynami... :ph34r:

but I'm a mortgage banking accountant. If I did work for Toynami I'd probably be really sad... so things are better this way.

I'd be very sad and depress. Especially all the ratings and QC issues. So tell us how ppl accused you of working for Toynami?

Well back in the day I worked for Bandai/Nintendo when the Snes and Gameboy just came out. Not as Glamourous as you might think. Spent all day in a work shop fixing broken customer returns listening to the same bit of Mario music played on dozens of t.v monitors, most of the staff went nuts in the end. I tranasfered to the warehouse and kept my sanity.

I did get to play with the Prototypes of the Gameboy colour, bear in mind this was many years before they eventually released it due to the price of mini lcd screens. cool at the time but people soon got sick of me saying I can play that in colour at work.....

I should have been more inteligent and bought up the Macross stuff they had in the warehouse. I could have retired by now.

I would love to work for Takra or Hasbro, Hell at the moment I`d just settle for working in a Model shop again.

That's kool! So what TF did you played with before they hit the streets?

HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA!!!!

You should get banned for that really, although one could say we saw it comming.

Nah...i think the mods will oversee this and lego just this once.

Just noticed this thread. I do a wide range of things for the diecast toy cars market. hotwheels, Matchbox, Johnny Lightning, Jada,.. those types of things. I do prototyping for cars, packaging, and/or graphics.

I do some similar work to Night Stalker. I'm not directly affiliated with any toy companies, but several are clients of mine. I do non-ferrous tool and die work, packaging, and production tools, among other things.

I do some similar work to Night Stalker. I'm not directly affiliated with any toy companies, but several are clients of mine. I do non-ferrous tool and die work, packaging, and production tools, among other things.

Hey thats sounds pretty sweet. I am looking at getting away and branching out on my own to start my own SMALL toy car company. Anything you might be bale to help me with along those lines?

That's kool! So what TF did you played with before they hit the streets?

Thats the shame of it as we were working for Nintendo under Bandai. I only got to see what ever Bandai wanted to store in our warehouse which was big, remember the scene from Xfiles when they just put the alien artfacts or whatever into the warehouse. Well that was what it was like.

Did see all the Bandai/Hasbro Jetfires. They wouldnt let me get one as they were in bonded stores. At the time I didnt know but this was about the time that the whole copyright thing with Jetfire started up. Sadly they probably got destroyed like so much stuff did when it made it to the bonded store. Had it been a few years later and M7 valks and such may have found their way into my pockets.

Edited by big F