Robotech Music on David Letterman

ComicKaze

I was watching Letterman last night and they had a short segment called "A Moment with Castro" or something to that effect. There was a splash screen with a short of "stately" look to it with Castro and the title and in the background they were playing the ...ugg, my memory of the Robotech soundtrack titles hasn't been accessed since 1998... the RDF Theme? They also used it for a George Bush clip.

It was just a short sample but so distinctive with the horns and the deep synth bass. Are they allowed to do this? Or do they somehow pay royalties for these sound clips?

-Edit some googling actually found clips of it:

http://robotechnews.blogspot.com/2007/01/r...rman-again.html

http://robotechnews.blogspot.com/2007/01/r...-confirmed.html

Wow, I KNEW that when I saw that fake Verizon wireless commercial on Letterman a few days ago that I reocognized the tune because I suddenly thought that was the best Verizon wireless commercial I had ever seen. It's My Time to be Star!!! On Letterman!

Edited by ComicKaze

I heard more tonight, different tracks this time. They had a segment making fun of Barak Obama and Hilary Clinton.

Barak had that brooding "rebuilding Macross city" type music going behind him. Hilary had some silly Minmei jingle playing.

Was it on Letterman or Conan O'Brian that has the nerdy black guy and his Recliner of Rage and a few years ago he was railing against all the different Robotech DVD's out there? Guess there's one or more Robotechies working on the late night TV shows!

That was Conan, but I was thinking the same thing.

I remember watching that! My girfriend and I were sitting on our couch chatting, and I heard the word "Robotech" come from the TV. I immediately stopped, looked at the TV in disbelief, and then just watched in utter shock. I couldn't believe I was in on a nationally broadcast in-joke.

Oh yeah, the "Minmei" music makes my ears bleed, but the Robotech BGM rocked.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember reading that Paul Thomas Anderson was surfing through the music bargain bin one day and found the song to the Transformers The Movie, "You've Got The Touch" I remember thinking, "This is where Prime died" when Mark Walberg was singing it in the movie. Apparently Anderson wanted something cheesy and cheap.

I remember I was just a kid and saw TF The Movie in the theatre (it was there like two weeks) and the song played and Prime came rolling out and started killing everyone. It's been a while since I saw the movie but he ran over a few guys first, then transformed and started capping Decepticons. Man, I miss being a kid.

Anyway, interesting they used the song on Letterman.

From what I heard Stan Bush (who wrote and did the vocals for The Touch) never got royalties for it.

• 1 month later...

Has this music passed into public domain territory? I wonder why HG hasn't made a stink about this....

The only using snippets of it while also parodying events; so, it falls on the terms of fair use. Aside from that, it also gives HG some free exposure. Why block that?

Maybe letterman is just a huge closet robotech fan, buys all the robotech dvd in every version available and watches shadow chronicles everyday? Has that ever crossed your mind? :D Maybe he owns the RT masterpieces and HG are giving him hats made out of money to promote the RT themes to get more people subliminally humming the RT music and go out to buy the RT dvds?

What do you think? Is this like the coke subliminally advertising thing?