U.N. Spacy Kite

Oihan

I was just wondering if there are any 'official' dimensions and if there's an image up on the net with the 'true' 'official' kite design with the true 'official' colors?

I've tried searching the forums with these keywords: Kite/UN Spacy Kite/Macross Kite and nothing came up or stood out except for someone referring to "The UN Spacy Database," which wasn't of any help. I've also tried searching through Google and Google Images and came up empty handed.

If anyone is, by chance, curious as to why I ask. I've been considering getting a tattoo of something I'm passionate about; it just so happens that I'm passionate about Macross. The tattoo would be of the kite with マクロス right below it. Since it's permanent I'd like nothing more than the 'official'...real-deal image. ...As to why I ask for the dimensions, if I need to scale down the image or upscale it accordingly...staying true to the dimensions...keeping the aspect ratio and whatnot. So I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

Edited by Oihan

I was just wondering if there are any 'official' dimensions and if there's an image up on the net with the 'true' 'official' kite design with the true 'official' colors?

I've tried searching the forums with these keywords: Kite/UN Spacy Kite/Macross Kite and nothing came up or stood out except for someone referring to "The UN Spacy Database," which wasn't of any help. I've also tried searching through Google and Google Images and came up empty handed.

If anyone is, by chance, curious as to why I ask. I've been considering getting a tattoo of something I'm passionate about; it just so happens that I'm passionate about Macross. The tattoo would be of the kite with マクロス right below it. Since it's permanent I'd like nothing more than the 'official'...real-deal image. ...As to why I ask for the dimensions, if I need to scale down the image or upscale it accordingly...staying true to the dimensions...keeping the aspect ratio and whatnot. So I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

I don't there is an actual official size for the Insignia, it seems to change size from show to show, with it being moderately sized in SDFM on uniforms to being huge on the uniforms of the Bridge Bunnies in M7. For official colors I would probably check model boxes for that.

I don't there is an actual official size for the Insignia, it seems to change size from show to show, with it being moderately sized in SDFM on uniforms to being huge on the uniforms of the Bridge Bunnies in M7. For official colors I would probably check model boxes for that.

The size varies from show to show, mecha to mecha, part to part, person to person.

Colors? Most common is the kite within a red circle. There is also the kite within the gray circle.

Be a man, I say get an arm sized tattoo of Jiggly Jeena!

Very cool that you want a Macross tattoo, but you should keep in mind that a circle is quite hard to get right on some places of the body. It will almost never look circular because your skin stretches as you move if, for example, you put it on your upper arm. Just a little heads up. :)

Very cool that you want a Macross tattoo, but you should keep in mind that a circle is quite hard to get right on some places of the body. It will almost never look circular because your skin stretches as you move if, for example, you put it on your upper arm. Just a little heads up. :)

Yeah go Zentreadi instead... :p

Be a man, I say get an arm sized tattoo of Jiggly Jeena!

Hah, I'd like a symbol, not an anime character. :p

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

I just need to find the right image now.

The size varies from show to show, mecha to mecha, part to part, person to person.

Colors? Most common is the kite within a red circle. There is also the kite within the gray circle.

The very few images I have found all looked messed up. Messed up in that the kite symbol itself looked wider in certain areas than it should. There was one insignia that seemed to have come close to what's used in the anime, but it wasn't the the true thing.

It's starting to look like I won't be getting one of the Kite after all. :(

I'd definitely encourage you to use the UN Spacy symbol as a tatoo, if you must have a tatoo at all (something I don't care for). It's extremely unlikely that the kite will ever gain rampant popularity or become cliche like soooo many other tatoos. Nothing says 1995 quite like a barbwire tatoo around your arm or ankle. It's almost certain that your kite tatoo will be forever unique (at least, here in North America).

Last thing this world needs to see is more chinese/japanese characters which the owner hasn't a clue how to read, more skulls/crosses/roses/biker bs, or another damn barbwire or butterfly on the small of some dumb chick's back. And please, whatever you choose for a tatoo, don't get something with those awful sickly greens/faded reds. They look like bruises. I dated a girl with this big assed coiled snake tatooed on her upper thigh; it looked like she had a massive charley horse that never healed :rolleyes:

I agree with Mr. March. The U.N. Spacy/Forces emblem would be a nice choice. Not to mention fairly unique.

I have a cousin (whom I no longer associate with, the bastard), whose upper body is covered with many of those cliched tatoos that Mr. March speaks of. While the ink work was well done, I thought many of the choices were "fad-ish).

But don't give up on your quest to find a decent example of the emblem, Oihan. If you want something different, it would be well worth it.

Well, honestly, I think your probably just overcomplicating things. Official dimensions? Even if such a thing exists, do you think anyone you meet is going to pull out a ruler and start measuring? Official color? Again, even if there is an "official" color, the chances of getting that color to match when its on skin is pretty low (especially if you consider that it will fade a bit over time). Just find a good looking, decent sized image of the kite and go for it :D All IMHO, of course ;) Again, good luck

And make sure to post pics! :)

I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I get it done and it's all healed. I just need to find an image now. :p It could be a long while, I just have the DVDs at home...so I don't have much to work with.

I can't say that this is "official" as I'm not sure there is such a thing. But this is my favorite rendition of it. . . which is why I use it on Macross Nexus so much. . .

IPB Image

. . . I got it off of google and photoshopped it quite a bit. I think it was actually an image of the T-shirt that came with Robotech: Battlecry video game.

I can't say that this is "official" as I'm not sure there is such a thing. But this is my favorite rendition of it. . . which is why I use it on Macross Nexus so much. . .

. . . I got it off of google and photoshopped it quite a bit. I think it was actually an image of the T-shirt that came with Robotech: Battlecry video game.

Awesome! Thank you for the image!

You know it didn't occur to me, until your post, to try and replace "Macross" with "Robotech" as a keyword in my searches. Surprisingly enough I got quite a few 'good' results. You'd think "Macross" would have gotten better results...I thought so at least. After looking at quite a few of them, the rendition you use seems to be the more "true" looking rendition.

These are the images I found [numbered (plus Hurin's)]:

Hurins: IPB Image 1IPB Image 2IPB Image 3IPB Image

4IPB Image 5IPB Image

6IPB Image

With 5 I was thinking of photoshopping it to get rid of "Macross Saga" if I were to use the image.

I'm not sure which of these is the 'most accurate/true' rendition. 2 and 4 look wider at the bottom; 2 and 5 have the 'same colored' stripe down the middle (background color that is). What do you all think? Thanks again.

Edited by Oihan

1 and 3 look the most accurate. 2 is from Macross II, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree, 1 and 3 (and mine!) are the most "true" to me. Though it's probably personal preference. To me, what makes it "right" is that the left and right "points" are more downward swept. . . which also makes their "leading edges" (if this were a plane) less curved.

Just make sure you "mock" it up on your arm before you commit to ink. You'd hate for him to get something wrong!

I just recently scanned the UN SPacy symbol right out of the Macross Movie Book and it looks different than all of those. The actual kite is far "fatter" than any of the images posted so far :)

For those fans than have access to the fan books (like Perfect Memory, Gold Book, and so on) you'll notice that nearly each instance of the UNS symbol is done differently. Take the dust cover off Macross Perfect Memory and look at the symbol there; very thin and narrow. Moral of the story: it changes from shot to shot. I really doubt if there is a correct or incorrect version, just as long as it stays relatively true to the design.

I just recently scanned the UN SPacy symbol right out of the Macross Movie Book and it looks different than all of those. The actual kite is far "fatter" than any of the images posted so far :)

For those fans than have access to the fan books (like Perfect Memory, Gold Book, and so on) you'll notice that nearly each instance of the UNS symbol is done differently. Take the dust cover off Macross Perfect Memory and look at the symbol there; very thin and narrow. Moral of the story: it changes from shot to shot. I really doubt if there is a correct or incorrect version, just as long as it stays relatively true to the design.

Would you mind posting it, please? ^_^

I personally like Mr March's version the most (I never liked the skinner kites, looks too anorexic to me)

And the second kite in Oihan's post is defiantly not the MacII kite. The kite in macII looks like you turned the normal kite on its side and put a vertical cut in it that is very off center.

I've never seen a good photo of it though.

post-4286-1168338152_thumb.jpg

I would ask Anasazi--he most likely has some decal artwork files that can be scaled as needed. Probably used Hasegawa as references.

Also---another thing to be aware of is how thick the outer border is--some have it as thin as the kite's edges, others have it very thick.

M0, Ep.1, 13:18-13:26 - On the rear wall of the conference room, the Asuka ship insignia can be seen with the kite in its background field. The "wingtips", if you will, point out to the sides without beginning to droop back downward.

At the beginning of M7, <Ep.1>, as they go through the historical background material, there is a scene where they show a human and Zent maclone silhouettes standing in front of the kite, and it definitely resembles Mr. March's. The "wingtips", again, point out to the sides without drooping.

FWIW. ^_^

Well it has been said that stylistically DYRL is what SK wanted for the universe. He continued that esthetic from that point on, including the brainiac head of Exedol... :rolleyes:

You make a great point. I can't recall what the U.N. Spacy insignia looks like though in DYRL?. ...Is the one Mr March posted the one from DYRL?

Edited by Oihan

You make a great point. I can't recall what the U.N. Spacy insignia looks like though in DYRL?. ...Or is the one Mr March posted the one from DYRL?

Like I said, the image I posted is a scan from the Macross The Movie (Gold Book), the old, massive, 404 page bible for Do You Remember Love?. It's not taken from the side of a drawing or any cell, it's a hand drawn symbol used throughout the book. Similarly sized symbols for the Zentradi and Meltrandi are also featured. So it's about as official as it gets. But like I said, the kite is not consistant, so it varies from instance to instance, even in the film cells.

Here's how the kite appears in DYRL itself. Notice that even in the anime, it's not consistent. Sometimes it's very angular with almost no "sweep." Sometimes it's "swept" on the leading edge, but then the bottom part is almost completely made up of straight lines. It does seem, though, that every time it appears on Valkryies themselves, they're always quite "swept." It is also odd that --aside from where they appear on the sides of Valkyries-- there's almost never a complete shot of an unobscured "kite."

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

All in all, I'd say that the anime has a more "swept" appearance (generally). Funny, in all this time, it never occurred to me that some people might actually prefer the one without any "sweep". . . and I especially didn't think that anyone would like that one from the DYRL Gold Book that is almost entirely straight lines. It might as well just be a diamond!

H

Edit: And lest anyone think I spent all night watching the movie and looking for "kites". . . there's actually only a few scenes where one would expect to see one. So I just FFed through those. ;)

Like I said, the image I posted is a scan from the Macross The Movie (Gold Book), the old, massive, 404 page bible for Do You Remember Love?. It's not taken from the side of a drawing or any cell, it's a hand drawn symbol used throughout the book. Similarly sized symbols for the Zentradi and Meltrandi are also featured. So it's about as official as it gets. But like I said, the kite is not consistant, so it varies from instance to instance, even in the film cells.

My mistake! Sorry! I somehow missed the keyword "Movie"...don't ask me how either. :( ...I also forgot to thank you for posting the image. Thank you!

Edited by Oihan

Here's how the kite appears in DYRL itself. Notice that even in the anime, it's not consistent. Sometimes it's very angular with almost no "sweep." Sometimes it's "swept" on the leading edge, but then the bottom part is almost completely made up of straight lines. It does seem, though, that every time it appears on Valkryies themselves, they're always quite "swept." It is also odd that --aside from where they appear on the sides of Valkyries-- there's almost never a complete shot of an unobscured "kite."

All in all, I'd say that the anime has a more "swept" appearance (generally). Funny, in all this time, it never occurred to me that some people might actually prefer the one without any "sweep". . . and I especially didn't think that anyone would like that one from the DYRL Gold Book that is almost entirely straight lines. It might as well just be a diamond!

H

Edit: And lest anyone think I spent all night watching the movie and looking for "kites". . . there's actually only a few scenes where one would expect to see one. So I just FFed through those. ;)

Thanks Hurin! I still need to get a copy of DYRL? on DVD btw....

My head is spinning.... I guess it's going to boil down to which one is more liked by others...which one others think is more 'true'...which one I like the most.... I'm quite the indecisive type too. Why couldn't there just be ONE consistent rendition? :cries:

(I removed the images in my reply to save bandwidth/memory or whatever)

My mistake! Sorry! I somehow missed the keyword "Movie"...don't ask me how either. :( ...I also forgot to thank you for posting the image. Thank you!

Not a problem. As for the different styles of kite, just look on the bright side: even if you ever do run into someone in your life with the same tatoo (not very damned likely), the inconsistancy of the source drawings ensures your tatoo will be different :)

Looking at those screen captures, the only questions I'm asking myself are what version of DYRL? on DVD is that and where the hell can I get such an awesome version? :)