Any new Macross games coming soon?

Dervish

Given the number of Macross games on the PS 1 and 2, vs. other game consoles, my money is on it, if another Macross game were produced. Though... given how many times the SDF:M and DYRL storyline has been recycled in game format, it's likely that the next game will merely be another recycling of that storyline.

Personally, I'd like to see a VF-X3, that continues the post-Macross 7 storylines of rebellion, insurrection, terrorism, and attempted coup d'etat of the UN government.

Here's an idea a Macross 7 Game which you have to sing in. As you use the joy stick to pilot you also sing into a mike which judges if you're in tune or not. lol.

Not only that, but isn't that stupid clown walk that Basara flies controlled by a guitar? They could integrate the input device/guitar from the Guitar Hero games into the VF controller.

Not only that, but isn't that stupid clown walk that Basara flies controlled by a guitar? They could integrate the input device/guitar from the Guitar Hero games into the VF controller.

And Guitar Hero is a shameless knockoff of GuitarFreaks.

Not that I'm objecting, especially given the absolutely STELLAR job Konami's done selling GuitarFreaks...

It's just kind of absurd when the GuitarHero people sue the designers of the GuitarFreaks controller for pre-emptively stealing an idea.

Edited by JB0

Can't they just get along? Like DDR and that other dancing game made by different manufacturers? So much time, creativity, money, and effort is wasted on lawsuits when they could be put towards Macross dancing and singing games!

Can't they just get along? Like DDR and that other dancing game made by different manufacturers? So much time, creativity, money, and effort is wasted on lawsuits when they could be put towards Macross dancing and singing games!

The big "problem" was Red Octane was mad that TAC's 3rd-party Guitar Hero controllers were cutting into sales of their own guitars. Especially the wireless one.

It was nothing more than a blatant attempt to abuse the courts to create a monopoly. And it failed miserably.

And I agree.

Oooohhhh...

Macross DDR+GuitarFreaks! Dance while you jam!

Don't capitalist countries (ie USA) have anti-monopoly laws? If I remember my news correctly, Microsoft got spanked a few years back in the browser war, and is possibly going to get a big spanking from the EU for its OS. That Guitar Hero stuff sounds like an abuse of the law...

Don't capitalist countries (ie USA) have anti-monopoly laws? If I remember my news correctly, Microsoft got spanked a few years back in the browser war, and is possibly going to get a big spanking from the EU for its OS. That Guitar Hero stuff sounds like an abuse of the law...

You remember right.

Actual enforcement varies with the poltical environment, but the Guitar Hero issue was pretty blatant to anyone that actually took the time to look.

I think Red Octane was using it more to stall for time while they made their own wireless guitar than actually get the courts to shut down legitimate competition. Though since they didn't get the injunction they were trying for, it didn't do 'em a lot of good, and only served to raise awareness of the competing brand.

Let's not forget that patents, by their very nature, are anti-competitive as an incentive for innovation.

And then there's copyright, which in it's current state is just hostile.

But as far as I know neither Red Octane nor TAC had a patent on the guitar controller design.

If TAC had patented it, they could've roasted RO alive.

If RO had patented it... well, TAC's prior art should invalidate their patent, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Given the number of Macross games on the PS 1 and 2, vs. other game consoles, my money is on it, if another Macross game were produced. Though... given how many times the SDF:M and DYRL storyline has been recycled in game format, it's likely that the next game will merely be another recycling of that storyline.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind a recycled game on a higher platform, as long as it looks much better than the previous generation game.

Personally, I'd like to see a VF-X3, that continues the post-Macross 7 storylines of rebellion, insurrection, terrorism, and attempted coup d'etat of the UN government.

That would be cool. :)

That would be absolute sweetness.

• 3 weeks later...

They should have SEGA do VFX3 if it ever sees light. That would be sweet!

If Sega AM2 did it it would be good. Seems like most of the other Sega teams are pretty bad these days. Sonic Team has been cranking out some crap lately.

Edited by Gaijin

If Sega AM2 did it it would be good. Seems like most of the other Sega teams are pretty bad these days. Sonic Team has been cranking out some crap lately.

Yeah.

I remember laughing at the Sega fanboys' proclamations of doom if they stopped making hardware. Long rants about how their games would suddenly start sucking if they were on someone else's systems...

It doesn't seem nearly as funny anymore.

Yeah.

I remember laughing at the Sega fanboys' proclamations of doom if they stopped making hardware. Long rants about how their games would suddenly start sucking if they were on someone else's systems...

It doesn't seem nearly as funny anymore.

SO true. Sega has been on a downward spiral ever since they got out of the hardware business...one bad decision after another.

SO true. Sega has been on a downward spiral ever since they got out of the hardware business...one bad decision after another.

I wouldn' t say that the do worse at the moment. They manged to escape the "Atari death". Teaming up with Sammy gave them more opportunity to develope more arcade games (which is AM2s main business). Sonic Team isn't creating much crap lately.Pantasy Star Universe and the 3 new Sonic games proves that. It's Hitmaker who's been releasing crappy halfbaked RPGs and fungames for PSP and PS2.

If Sega would be given the chance to make a new Macross game than I highly appreciate Smilebit or Cinematic OG to develope that.

I wouldn' t say that the do worse at the moment. They manged to escape the "Atari death". Teaming up with Sammy gave them more opportunity to develope more arcade games (which is AM2s main business). Sonic Team isn't creating much crap lately.Pantasy Star Universe and the 3 new Sonic games proves that. It's Hitmaker who's been releasing crappy halfbaked RPGs and fungames for PSP and PS2.

Have you SEEN the Sonic 1 "port" to the GBA?

It's an embarrassing half-assed glitchfest. Hell, the speed shoes make Sonic run SLOWER.

How about the load times on Sonic 360?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naVshTpD9l0

These are the sorts of releases that Sega should be ashamed of having CONSIDERED for release, and Nintendo and Microsoft should be ashamed of approving.

Most people have been saying that Sonic's been downhill since Adventure 2. And in true Sonic fashion, it's been accelerating all the way.

Atari at least isn't DEVELOPING the crap games they're releasing.

And hasn't had a reputation to defend for ages.

Have you SEEN the Sonic 1 "port" to the GBA?

It's an embarrassing half-assed glitchfest. Hell, the speed shoes make Sonic run SLOWER.

The port was not done by Sonic Team. It was some small group who've been hired by Sega. There are many of these kind a ports for GBA. Mainly bestseller games from the SNES age converted to GBA with a lot of Bugs (R-TypeIII)

The Sonic Team GBA(Sonic Advance series) and DS games played very well with less to complain to.

How about the load times on Sonic 360?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naVshTpD9l0

These are the sorts of releases that Sega should be ashamed of having CONSIDERED for release, and Nintendo and Microsoft should be ashamed of approving.

Most people have been saying that Sonic's been downhill since Adventure 2. And in true Sonic fashion, it's been accelerating all the way.

I played Next Generation Sonic for 360 at the GC2006. Back then it was still under development, so only the Forest stage was playable. It played very well, had good controls and the demo was without that much loading screens. I don't have a 360 so I didn't watched the outcome of this game further. I noticed Famitsu gave this Game a 30/40 rating last year. It the same rating they've given the PS3 game in one of the december Famitsu magazine.

I also didn't knew that there are two Sonic Teams(US/JP) now. Guess QA at both companies were to "busy to report" the bugs and toubles of this game. Especially if it was ment to be a 15th anniversary product like the GBA Sonic.

I red that NGSonic game was released half fixed because Microsoft wanted it before the PS3 version hits the shelves. Don't know if it's treu but since I have friends(They made Lula 3D,Aquanox2& Angel's tears,Legend of Kay) in the gamesindustry who can prove how cruel most Publisher can be, I wouldn't wonder if this was also a decision made by some one who holds a checkbook and don't cares about gamefun and ratings.

Okay I pull back my statement about the Sonic games and Sonicteam .

Oh! And about Atari death. I don't wish any company to vanish the way Atari did. Don't get me wrong .I own a Jaguar64 and VCS2600(Still operational after 21years!Test played Frogger last year) and wasn't making fun about that company's difficulties. There weren't many choices for Sega back then. Whether with a new gaming console or bieng treu to Dreamcast till the company went bankrupt . If other Hardware sell fine and your games are the soul of the Company why not selling those for other plattforms. Sega always gave their best with the hardware. But never was able to dominated the market how Nintendo or Sony does. They do have a lot of good and unique games. And if selling games on other plattforms can save their company, then why not. I disliked the idea of Sega to provide their rivals with games(except ShenMueIII) in the first. Now I think it was a neccessity for their existance. It was better than giving use an other short life console and go down like Atari did.

Well maybe I should make a exception by Infinium Labs

Oh! And about Atari death. I don't wish any company to vanish the way Atari did. Don't get me wrong .I own a Jaguar64 and VCS2600(Still operational after 21years!Test played Frogger last year) and wasn't making fun about that company's difficulties. There weren't many choices for Sega back then. Whether with a new gaming console or bieng treu to Dreamcast till the company went bankrupt . If other Hardware sell fine and your games are the soul of the Company why not selling those for other plattforms. Sega always gave their best with the hardware. But never was able to dominated the market how Nintendo or Sony does. They do have a lot of good and unique games. And if selling games on other plattforms can save their company, then why not. I disliked the idea of Sega to provide their rivals with games(except ShenMueIII) in the first. Now I think it was a neccessity for their existance. It was better than giving use an other short life console and go down like Atari did.

Atari isn't dead.

Their entire history is one of a dysfunctional, but almost always operational, brand.

Nolan Bushnell, the founder, sold it to TimeWarner to get the cash needed to release the original Video Computer System(later renamed 2600, commonly known as "The Atari").

TimeWarner mismanaged it, and then panicked when the infamous video game crash happened(market growth slowed and everyone thought the fad had run it's course).

They sold the arcade division to Williams. It remained operational as Atari Games until Midway renamed it to ... Midway Games West, I believe. It was shut down shortly after Gauntlet: Dark Legacy was released(was a sad day, as many of the Atari Games employees were the last of the original wave of game developers, and had been working with "Atari" since the pre-VCS days).

Everything else went to the Tramiels of Commodore fame, who had just been evicted by Commodore's board of directors and were looking for a quick way to get back in the computer business. They shut down Atari's gaming division, fired most of the existing employees(Tramiel rule of business #1: when you buy a company, fire everyone in it), liquidated most of the stock, and placed the focus on renovating the home computer line(which was all they really wanted in the first place).

3 years later they got back into games with the Atari 7800, which was designed under TimeWarner, but barely missed making it to retail before the Tramiels got the company. It was released to compete with the NES, but between the Tramiels' notorious cheapness and Nintendo's abusive and illegal business practices it failed to do so.

This Atari chugged along selling pretty good computers until the Jaguar. They killed their ST, TT, and Falcon lines to focus on the game machine(in a complete 180 of the original decision to sell computers and not games). While not a major success, the Jag DID make money.

The Jaguar 2 was in development, and almost ready for release, when the Tramiels sold Atari to JTS. This otherwise irrelevant hard drive company resulted in the end of Atari as a standalone company for some time.

The details of the merger required them to maintain Atari as a functional division of JTS, but they immediately shut down all R&D and production and began liquidating assets for a quick cash influx.

This didn't last long, because the Securities and Exchange Commission began investigating them for breach of contract, and they sold Atari as a whole to the first bidder... Hasbro, who picked it up for a paltry 5 million. JTS went bankrupt shortly afterwards. This is the only time Atari has ever been out of operation, and the closest they've ever come to bankruptcy.

Hasbro went with a software-only approach. They eventually rolled all their software development under the Atari label(but most Atari fans didn't care about Nerf and My Little Pony games). Hasbro operated Atari as merely their software division, so they weren't a "real company" anymore.

They also lost a lot of cash on software. Stuff like My Little Pony and Nerf Battle Arena just didn't sell, nor did 3D remakes of Centipede, Missile Command, and Pong. And they sold the entire division to a french game company Infogrames.

This sale included all of Atari's IP as well as the name. It also included the exclusive video game rights to Hasbro's toy and board game lines, which led to an amusing situation where Hasbro was negotiating with Infogrames for the rights to their own brands. But that's another story.

Infogrames actually rebranded their company Atari, resulting in Atari's return to the business as a company. They're mostly software-only, though they HAVE created a pair of standalone game machines, one of which(Flashback 2) is actually the 2600(the Flashback 1 is an NES clone). But they aren't american anymore.

Infogrames is the current owner. They're primarily a software publisher, but they do have some in-house development.

They're also having financial troubles right now. It remains to be seen how long before Atari winds up with someone else again.

One can argue Sega still is alive and well...I was the most die hard Sega fan around. BUt you can't argue that their current releases (whether developed internally or not) are nowhere near their releases of old.

Phantasy Star Universe is rather poor (And I loved PS Online on Dreamcast), Sonic on 360 is broken beyond belief(rumors of the "fixed" PS3 version still run rampant and hope it's true but I'm skeptical at this point), and their new IPs such as Full Auto and Condemned while interesting just don't have the magic of their old IP's. They release a good game once in awhile nowadays but you could argue before, they were one of the strongest 1st party publishers...as a 3rd party publisher, they'd be up there with Capcom, Konami, Namco...instead they are nowhere near that level anymore(with the exception of AM2).

I still miss Sega but even I know that they just aren't the same.

• 4 weeks later...

So does anyone know of any tenative plans for the PS3 to come out with a Macross game? I'd love to see a kick ass Mac Plus game.

To the best of my knowledge, no one's announced anything yet.

I suspect they're waiting to see if the PS3 is gonna start moving.