What kind of music

Daishi3500

95% of music today borrows from hip-hop in some way (Yeah I know hip-hop borrows from other music so it's sort of a payback).

Sorry, have to correct you there.

95% of all music today borrows from the blues in some way. Hip Hop was not even invented in any form until about 15 years ago.

And hip hop doesn't borrow from other music, it downright steals, "sampling" someone else's song is crap, which is why I rather that it was puff daddy that had been gunned down, instead of 2PAC, at least 2PAC was original.

not everyone from the south is a redneck. and not everyone who listens to Country is ignorant.

Texas. still WAY better than your state.

Did you bother to look at my profile?.

If you had bothered to check my profile, you would know that I am in Maryland, which is SOUTH of the famous Mason-Dixon Line, so technically, I AM IN THE SOUTH.

However, I choose to speak the King's English instead of that drawling lazy crap that I hear all day long pranging away in my right ear. I just cannot abide people who delight in being simple, and speaking incorrectly. I swear one time I had this redneck lady who told me that she had a laptop "whullago" that was good, but "yersteeday" it broke. WTF???

The Mason-Dixon Line has nothing to do with north and south, only Maryland and Pennsylvania. West Virginia is a northern state even though it's south of the M-D line. As a Virginian I would definately consider you a yankee. :p That is if I gave a crap about that redneck crap. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to music. I most definately prefer making my own music to listening to others. Someday I'll get off my ass and start a new band. :)

Edited by Opus

95% of music today borrows from hip-hop in some way (Yeah I know hip-hop borrows from other music so it's sort of a payback).

Sorry, have to correct you there.

95% of all music today borrows from the blues in some way. Hip Hop was not even invented in any form until about 15 years ago.

And hip hop doesn't borrow from other music, it downright steals, "sampling" someone else's song is crap, which is why I rather that it was puff daddy that had been gunned down, instead of 2PAC, at least 2PAC was original.

Not everyone samples, and the ones that do have to pay to use the sample or get sued.

I agree that I would much rather have P Diddy dead than Pac, and that The Blues has been a major influence on all music. But add 5 yrs to the age of Hip-hop. :ph34r:

The Mason-Dixon Line has nothing to do with north and south, only Maryland and Pennsylvania. West Virginia is a northern state even though it's south of the M-D line. As a Virginian I would definately consider you a yankee.

I'm from Maryland, went to college in Connecticut, had New Yorkers tell me I was from the south and a guy from Georgia tell me I was a Yankee. I enjoy listening to just about all accents, the more extreme the better. Strine, Bostonian, Irish, New Orleans, and Bawlmerese and Brooklynese are a few of my favorites.

Accents? I'm a native Nevadian who went to school in Chicago and now work in Saint Louis... 'round these parts you get the: "Arnge Fard Tarus on Highway Farty Far and Parple Sharts Waring Folks". :p

I worked in Texas for two years after school and my Oxford accent gave me away as a Yankee.

Northerners, Southerners... It's all the same country but I will agree with Mechamaniac, you bump into one person with a really thick drawl and it's like they're speaking another language.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Anyone here listen to classical?

I like almost all kinds of music. I can handle limited amounts of modern rock. I like rock from the 80s, now that kind truly rocked. I like the Hip-Hop flavor mostly. I like J-Rock and J-Pop, well...only because I heard massive amounts of it in Macross 7. I really like all sorts of instrumentals, like the music from Gladiator or Saving Private Ryan or K-19. :)

God! I love the way white people think. I could just as easily say that about Metal or what every the hell you like. But I won't because it would be stupid to. As with all music there the good and the bad, with "Hip-Hop" the good doesn't sell, so all you "suburban" people get to see on MTV (or whatever music or radio station you listen too) is the bad. 95% of music today borrows from hip-hop in some way (Yeah I know hip-hop borrows from other music so it's sort of a payback). So your saying I'm not intelligent because I can't stand Metallica or whatever rock/metal/punk/pop/Swing/Big Band groups you like. Whatever Man. This place is getting way too uptight.

But I guess it's to be expected because opinions are like ass-holes. We all have one good or bad.

Seems like bloody "brainwashing": just play the goddamn song 'till people consider it a "Habit"

I couldn't agree more mate :)

The really good stuff never gets into the mainstream (and I thank God for that ) ; I'm personally open to all kinds of music , I have my prefferences of course like (real) Metal , Ska , etc , but I can tolerate most styles of music out there , with the big exceptions that are american pop music,mainstream dance music and Britpop (Jesus , why does everyone have to listen to the same crap ? God knows how much I hate that Pop-idol crap -sorry for those who like it , I just can't tolerate it-.). I don't like R&B or modern hip-hop (whatever happened to the old days of hip-hop :( ) but I as I said before , I can tolerate them without disliking them.

I happen to have this deep hatred for groupies as well so I don't often talk about my musical prefferences with other people as the majority of those persons who I end up talking with about music tend to have a collection of Britney's CDs or the latest boy-band single :angry: I never got into the trendy stuff , maybe because popular music tends to lack depth and definition to appeal to the greater audiences :huh:

I don't like Bob Marely. Only because I never cared to listen to the pothead.

if you boycott all music written/performed by people who have been under the influence of drugs in their lifetime then you're really limiting your listening selections. Bob made some of the damn finest music i've ever heard. IMHO you're missing out.

I too, am a child of the 70's.......gonna be 36 this year............

I listen to Bob Mould in his various incarnations (solo, Sugar, Husker Du) mostly. But I have an affinity for ska, ranging from the early days to the third wave bands. Always been a bit of a closet punker. It's nice to see that there is one other person who still digs the Dead Kennedys.

;)

Did I forget to mention DK?

Well, make that two other guys!!! :)

After Ahnold won, I searched in my closet and dug out my "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" CD so I could listen to "California Ãœber Alles". Eh....Jello Biafria just doesn't sound the same as from my once teenaged angst ears. :p

Oh and regarding ska, I never got into 3rd wave...unless you consider The Pietasters 3rd wave ska. I still listen to Desmond Dekker, Laurel Aitken, Prince Buster, Derrick Morgan(my fave!)...and 2-Tone stuff like English Beat, Body Snatchers (mmmm...alll female ska band!), The Specials, (old) Madness, The Selector, etc...

Country (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Johnny Horton, David Allen Coe, Sonny Burgess......)

Rockabilly (Ray Campi, Wanda Jackson, Johnny Carroll, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran....)

Rhythm and Blues (Little Richard, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Kings of Nuthin'...)

Soul (Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, Motown, The Commitments :D )

60's Reggae and Blue Beat (Some people call it Ska)(Prince Buster, Symarip, Desmond Dekker, anything on Trojan Records.....)

Two Tone Ska (The Specials, Madness, The Beat, The Selector....)

Psycho-billy (The Meteors, Demented are Go, Klingonz.....)

Punk (The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, The Misfits, The Beltones, Swingin' Utters......)

Oi (Cockney Rejects, The Business, Blitz, Skrewdriver (I don't like their politics, but I do really like their music. Hey, nobody says anything when I listen to Public Enemy), Patriot, The Anti-heroes....)

Early Hardcore (Agnostic Front, Gorilla Biscuits, Burn, Minor Threat......)

Neo-Irish Music (The Pogues, The Skels, Flogging Molly, The Dropkick Murphys...)

Early Glam and Metal (Thin Lizzy, KISS, AC/DC, New York Dolls, Sabbath.....)

Goth/Industrial (Skinny Puppy, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, The Cure, Nick Cave, Bauhaus.....)

"Classic Rock" (Creedance, The Who, Rolling Stones, Hendrix.....)

Old Rap (RUN-DMC, Slick Rick, NWA, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys...)

Songs in the Key of Springfield (Songs from the Simpsons)

80's One Hit Wonders (I have quite a 45 collection)

Weird Al Yankovic (One of the most underrated comic geniuses of our time.)

.....and probably a whole slew of other music I forgot about. It would've been easier for me to list the stuff I don't listen to. :lol:

I generally only listen to the "oldies" station when I have to listen to the radio, although I do like to listen to Howard in the morning.

edit: spelling and punctutation

Hory Crap Tom! We pretty much have the same music taste...even the obscure oi. Oh, and I'm with you on the latter...I usually have the oldies station on if I'm listening to the radio...today's music just doesn't have soul.

Yes, but I was more into it in high school and college, less so now. How's that for an inversion of expectations? However, since my wife is taking piano lessons, I'm getting back into it.

I like pretty much all the famous composers, except that Brahms often bores me and Mozart sometimes seems overly mechanical instead of genius. I have a soft spot for the Russian romantics (Rimsky Korsakov and Borodin especially, and of course Tchaikovsky although he technically wasn't a romantic). Beethoven and Bach are probably my favorites.

If you think you don't like classical music, watch 2001 or Fantasia...

Progressive (AKA art) Rock (Yes, ELP, Rush, Tull, etc.)

Instrumental Rock (Mason Williams, Ventures, Link Wray, etc.)

I was heavily into Yes, but their recent offerings haven't been all that exciting. I think they peaked artistically around the time when they made Close to the Edge. 90125 was totally commerical, and then the last spark went out when they split after making Union. It seems like the only interesting prog rock these days needs a bit of metal in there, like Dream Theater, Blind Guardian or Liquid Tension Experiment.

Satch's the man when it comes to instrumental rock...

Ooh man.. how about what I normally listen to...?

Well, I'm rather fond of Hellcat's Give 'Em the Boot 1, and assorted bands.... I'm a huge Bad Religion, Dropkick Murpheys, and hell, anything in that genre... I COULD delve into my CD collection....

I'll listen to classical when I'm doing some absurdly difficult engineering problem. Normally, when I read, I like to listen to some irish and/or celtic instrumentals.

I'll also pop in some old rock, and/or early 90's rock (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc...) or even older hip hop. Oh yea, new Outkast CD was a letdown. <_<

All in all, I'll listen to anything once, and really DON'T have a general preference in music.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Yes, I listen to a lot of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Handel and Wagner. I also listen to Gershwin a fair amount. Personal favorites are Mozart's 41st, Beethoven's 5th and Bach's Brandenberg Conchertos. I also listen to some opera like Orff's Carmina Burana.

Edited by Weaseldancer

Yep, I do.  Like I mentioned earlier, its mostly a mix of Film scores...but classical has been creeping in more and more lately.  Gustav Holst's 'Planets' Suite was really what got me rolling.

Keen. Hey are you in the bay area? Do they still run the "Music from the Hearts of Space"?

Back in college we had a station that mirrored the "Music from the Hearts of Space" late at night... maaaaaaaan... you get a good buzz on and hang out in a dark room with some pals and just relax to that... faaaaar ooouuuut maaaaaaan... B)

Edit: Anyone from the Bay Area? Do they still run that show? It was really trippy new age music, mainly keyboards with loooooooong trippy space chords. Not like Yanni or Tesh, more like "getting stoned and cruizing through space" music. It was kick ass makeout music too, really low key and "mystical".

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Yep, I do.  Like I mentioned earlier, its mostly a mix of Film scores...but classical has been creeping in more and more lately.  Gustav Holst's 'Planets' Suite was really what got me rolling.

Keen. Hey are you in the bay area? Do they still run the "Music from the Hearts of Space"?

Back in college we had a station that mirrored the "Music from the Hearts of Space" late at night... maaaaaaaan... you get a good buzz on and hang out in a dark room with some pals and just relax to that... faaaaar ooouuuut maaaaaaan... B)

Edit: Anyone from the Bay Area? Do they still run that show? It was really trippy new age music, mainly keyboards with loooooooong trippy space chords. Not like Yanni or Tesh, more like "getting stoned and cruizing through space" music. It was kick ass makeout music too, really low key and "mystical".

Never got buzzed to that music. Generally I get my buzz on Lords of Acid or if I am getting wasted to something Jimmy Buffet.

Soundtracks?

I've got a special place in my heart for the soundtrack to Hunt For Red October by Basil Poledouris.

I also dig most of John Williams' work. As well as Danny Elfman's stuff for Edward Scissorhands.

Classical? I've always enjoyed it, but it wasn't until recently that I started purchasing works instead of catching them on the radio. When my wife and I got together we ended up having 5 different performances of The Magic Flute between us!!! :lol:

Hate Rap but love undergroung Hip-Hop. Time for a shameless plug.....Kanser, Atmosphere, Asop Rock, Eyedea ect....But I also produce Hip-hop and have been listening to all musics EVEN country ( for sample purposes) for ever.

www.interlock.cc

I like any Jpop and all the music from the Macross series. Rap, Hip Hop, R&B are my favourites too, but I'm often still very selective about the ones I choose as some of the stuff that comes from these genres are full of crap. For instance I only like a couple of songs from Eminem like "sing for the moment" and lose yourself" but stuff like superman and slim shady and purple pills suck. You can't go wrong with Tupac Shakur and R. Kelly with their meaningful music. Dance and Techno is up there on my list though and a little of the good rock as well, from Creed and Chad Kroger for example.

I'm a DJ as well and the old classics really go down well at a party that covers a variety of ages. Always like to finish up with some "Hot Stuff" and "Greased Lightnin!". Mind you, I never want to be like John Travolta. <_<

Can't stand anythin like heavy metal or grunge or alternative, it's just lot's of noise making to me.

Edited by kensei

i listen to a wide variety... but mostly:

-reggae

-hip-hop

-hawaiian

-r&b

-80s

as Macka B said, everybody loves Bob Marley. :D

Yah mon! Good old Bob! Haven't heard any of this stuff in a long time! :D

I listen to Bob Mould in his various incarnations (solo, Sugar, Husker Du) mostly. But I have an affinity for ska, ranging from the early days to the third wave bands. Always been a bit of a closet punker. It's nice to see that there is one other person who still digs the Dead Kennedys.

;)

Surf music has been growing on me lately though. Ever since I picked up Dick Dale's Unknown Territory, I have discovered another favorite music genre. There are some bands and tunes from the 70's that I still dig.

I've seen both Bob Mould and Dick Dale live. I actually got to meet and talk to Bob after one of his shows at the Palladium in Hollywood, and Dick's show, well, it was pretty wild (saw him at the Huntington Pier back in '84). My dad's an old longboarder, so I've been listening to Surf my whole life. The Ventures are pretty decent for old school surf too.

My tastes do extend well beyond surf though [Punk / Ska / Reggae / Hard & Classic Rock / Acid / Classical / Lounge / Jazz / Blues - you name it]... almost everything listed in this thread, except maybe house or techno - I just don't get that stuff.

Soundtracks?

I've got a special place in my heart for the soundtrack to Hunt For Red October by Basil Poledouris.

One of my favs, and possibly composer's best. :D

JsARCLIGHT, unfortunatley I'm not from the Bay Area so I can't say whether or not the show still exists. It sounds interesting though (makes me long for that stuff here in FL). Radio is...unique here. ;)