What kind of music

Daishi3500

Pretty much anything except CRAP, sorry, I'm culturally closed minded. The plight of inner city youths doesn't inspire me in any way since I am a white boy from the suburbs, and I don't listen to people just because they "tell it like it is", or because they are "keepin' it REAL". But I will acknowledge that alot of those guys have huge amounts of talent, unlike... (see below)

I also don't have much use for people that have no natural talent either, so that pretty much eliminates Britney Spears and her ilk, a pair of bressasus does not make an artist IMHO. So, Britney, the Back Door Boys, Lip Synch, Christina Aguilera etc etc, they are all wastes of DNA, and good, expensive radio time. Also, those who don't write their own songs piss me off, so Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey blah blah, you are no talent hacks that can carry a tune, and/or bang a record producer to get a contract. Celine Dion, UGH, her husband is like 70, and when they met she was like 14, now, they didn't get together until years after that, but you know what he was thinking the first time he met her....can you say PEDOPHILE?

So, if you cannot play an instrument, or write your own lyrics (preferably both), you will not occupy my CD player, and I will change stations on the radio as soon as my finger can smash the button.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Awe man, no testament in thier, gotta love Dave Lombardo,,,he is the best drummer in the world hands down

I can't help but think a lot of rush fans would beat you to death for saying such a thing :blink:

Then again... I was mad impressed with the primus cover of floyd's "have a cigar"

had to laugh at how many people diferentiate between old metalica and the "new and improved" metallica :lol::lol::lol:

And dejr8bud met testament... I always wondered how much meeting bands meant to people and influenced their listening. If I had a bottle of tequila for every time I passed out on a couch surrounded by musicians...

One of my best friends used to harras manson back when he worked at the mall food court. I laugh at him now as he went the REM style band at the time without much success and manson got signed across the street :lol:

geeze... lets think about bands I've gotten smashed with...

I mother earth

final decent

fury in the slaughterhouse

sponge

toadies

thursday's child

the greatful dead [i didn't know I had an in till the girl I was seeing asked if I wanted to see her uncle "phil" play in tampa]

... more that I forget as I used to party to hard...

Kinda funny when you get better treatment than the hot groupies just cause you have the drugs they want :rolleyes:

Awe man, no testament in thier, gotta love Dave Lombardo,,,he is the best drummer in the world hands down

I can't help but think a lot of rush fans would beat you to death for saying such a thing :blink:

Then again... I was mad impressed with the primus cover of floyd's "have a cigar"

had to laugh at how many people diferentiate between old metalica and the "new and improved" metallica :lol::lol::lol:

And dejr8bud met testament... I always wondered how much meeting bands meant to people and influenced their listening. If I had a bottle of tequila for every time I passed out on a couch surrounded by musicians...

One of my best friends used to harras manson back when he worked at the mall food court. I laugh at him now as he went the REM style band at the time without much success and manson got signed across the street :lol:

geeze... lets think about bands I've gotten smashed with...

I mother earth

final decent

fury in the slaughterhouse

sponge

toadies

thursday's child

the greatful dead [i didn't know I had an in till the girl I was seeing asked if I wanted to see her uncle "phil" play in tampa]

... more that I forget as I used to party to hard...

Kinda funny when you get better treatment than the hot groupies just cause you have the drugs they want :rolleyes:

HA HA,

I LOVE Rush, but still Dave is tops. Seaking of partying with bands, Do you guys know of Saliva (top 40ish) recently, Cell 185 (I work with the guitarist and ussed to work with the singer (alldesigners). they opened for them in the Flint area. I shouldve gone, talk about groupies. All the guys are married and I'm on my way to that institution, so look and dont touch is the key. I wish I could go back to the high school garage band I was in, so much sex, drugs, and rock and roll :( , all free tooo :)

I dont know if I would say new and improved Metallica, I couldnt get through the CD. Once they get thier crap together, I'll bet they produce some nice stuff,,,after all, they have Suicidal Tendancies Bassist ;)

I listen to the whole gamut of music, from classical to punk. I'll listen to techno dance (mostly European, U.S. DJ's usually can't cut it) all the way to some of the crappiest glam-metal from the 80's. But mostly I listen to punk, emo-core and soft-core punk.

Here's a sampling:

Lagwagon

Chixdiggit!

Adventures of Jet

NOFX

Texas is the Reason (RIP)

Consumed (RIP)

The Lawrence Arms

Slapstick (RIP)

Millencolin

Scott Garth

Seaweed

Superchunk

The Wedding Present (RIP)

Snuff

Gwar

Old Metallica (RIP)

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

Bad Astronaut

Drag the River

All

Sugarcult

Sugar/Bob Mould/Husker Du

The Living End

The Pixies (RIP)

No Use For A Name

Strung Out

Homegrown

The Levellers

...and many, many others.

I too, am a child of the 70's.......gonna be 36 this year............

I listen to Bob Mould in his various incarnations (solo, Sugar, Husker Du) mostly. But I have an affinity for ska, ranging from the early days to the third wave bands. Always been a bit of a closet punker. It's nice to see that there is one other person who still digs the Dead Kennedys.

;)

Surf music has been growing on me lately though. Ever since I picked up Dick Dale's Unknown Territory, I have discovered another favorite music genre. There are some bands and tunes from the 70's that I still dig.

I have been wanting to get some anime music soundtracks, primarily from Cowboy Bebop. What would be a good starting point for CB? The Real Folk Blues has really grown on me. Any thoughts?

:)

Edited by Capt Hungry

I like everything except Rap and Country, I feel I am too inteligent for either type of music.

Scathing but true. Country and Rap are "you have to be there" music. By that I mean if you are not one of the people they are singing to or about then the effect is lost on you... unless you count all those stupid rich white kids that listen to rap, they are just insulting everything that music "stands for".

I like everything except Rap and Country, I feel I am too inteligent for either type of music.

Might help if you didn't misspell intelligent there Agent! :D

I can't believe I left out my disdain for Country music in my post.

No romance the sheep tunes for me, as soon as I hear the twang twang, gyuh gyuh of a redneck tune, I change the channel as fast as humanly possible.

I think that stems from the fact that I do tech support for rednecks from the south all day long, so all I hear all day is southern accents, it's enought to make you want to shoot yourself.

Rap music, I could stand if it's background music for a movie. I can't imagine watching Menace II Society without it, hell... I can't even imagine Office Space without it.

Country music I could do without, though I like twang flavored rock n' roll like Johnny Cash, Beck, and sometimes Social D.

Might help if you didn't misspell intelligent there Agent! :D

That was the joke! :lol:

I think that stems from the fact that I do tech support for rednecks from the south all day long, so all I hear all day is southern accents, it's enought to make you want to shoot yourself.

Hey Mechamaniac, have you thought about if there are any "redneck" macross fans out there?

I listen to Bob Mould in his various incarnations (solo, Sugar, Husker Du) mostly. But I have an affinity for ska, ranging from the early days to the third wave bands. Always been a bit of a closet punker. It's nice to see that there is one other person who still digs the Dead Kennedys.

;)

Did I forget to mention DK?

Well, make that two other guys!!! :)

If you're a bit of a closet punker, and like Ska, you might want to check out Slapstick (if you haven't already). They were, what I consider, one of the first Punk/Ska (instead of Ska/Punk, ala' Less Than Jake, MU330, etc.) bands.

They were only around for 3 years but they were awesome. You can check out a very comprehensive fansite HERE.

I may be biased because they were my buddies, but they were pretty damned good.

p.s.- Funny side note, the lead singer of Slapstick, Brendan (who now plays for The Lawrence Arms) once told me that his first concert memory was being at a Naked Raygun show when he was 12 or 13 and seeing me setting my hair on fire for money.

... Those were the days. :rolleyes:

p.p.s.- Did I mention Naked raygun as one of my all-time favorite bands? No? Well Naked Raygun is one of my all-time favorite bands.

Hey Mechamaniac, have you thought about if there are any "redneck" macross fans out there?

I'm sure there are...

And as long as they don't work for Monumental Life Insurance, and carry a laptop that they can break, or are too ignorant to learn how to use, then I wish them well.

See, when the rednecks call me and bug me at work, it keeps me from surfing MW :D .

Country (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Johnny Horton, David Allen Coe, Sonny Burgess......)

Rockabilly (Ray Campi, Wanda Jackson, Johnny Carroll, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran....)

Rhythm and Blues (Little Richard, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Kings of Nuthin'...)

Soul (Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, Motown, The Commitments :D )

60's Reggae and Blue Beat (Some people call it Ska)(Prince Buster, Symarip, Desmond Dekker, anything on Trojan Records.....)

Two Tone Ska (The Specials, Madness, The Beat, The Selector....)

Psycho-billy (The Meteors, Demented are Go, Klingonz.....)

Punk (The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, The Misfits, The Beltones, Swingin' Utters......)

Oi (Cockney Rejects, The Business, Blitz, Skrewdriver (I don't like their politics, but I do really like their music. Hey, nobody says anything when I listen to Public Enemy), Patriot, The Anti-heroes....)

Early Hardcore (Agnostic Front, Gorilla Biscuits, Burn, Minor Threat......)

Neo-Irish Music (The Pogues, The Skels, Flogging Molly, The Dropkick Murphys...)

Early Glam and Metal (Thin Lizzy, KISS, AC/DC, New York Dolls, Sabbath.....)

Goth/Industrial (Skinny Puppy, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, The Cure, Nick Cave, Bauhaus.....)

"Classic Rock" (Creedance, The Who, Rolling Stones, Hendrix.....)

Old Rap (RUN-DMC, Slick Rick, NWA, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys...)

Songs in the Key of Springfield (Songs from the Simpsons)

80's One Hit Wonders (I have quite a 45 collection)

Weird Al Yankovic (One of the most underrated comic geniuses of our time.)

.....and probably a whole slew of other music I forgot about. It would've been easier for me to list the stuff I don't listen to. :lol:

I generally only listen to the "oldies" station when I have to listen to the radio, although I do like to listen to Howard in the morning.

edit: spelling and punctutation

Edited by tom64ss

I'll listen to most anything except rap, hip-hop, teeny-pop and old time country. Lately I've been listening to

Enigma

NIN

Praga Khan

Lords of Acid

Crystal Method

Chemical Brothers

KMFDM

Depeche Mode

Pink Floyd

Tool

Johnny Cash

Sting

Police

Rush

Metallica

Jimmy Buffet

Stabbing Westward

Chris Rhea

Iron Maiden

Steve Miller Band

Eagles

Puddle of Mud

I listen to a lot of Metal... no time to list them.

I like alternative rock too... my favorite band here would be LIVE.... they are just an amazing group of musicians.

I really like House and some Techno.

Classic rock has a big spot in my music selection.

I don't like Rap of today.. I used to listen to a lot of it back in the 80s though..

Don't like Country.

CAN'T STAND the poppy bubble gum CRAP. (don't get me started)

Punk is WAY overrated, almost all of it sucks ass.

I used to hate country but I don't mind it now that I am a little older. All the new "new country" stuff is garbage just like most of the mainstream music. Old school stuff like Hank or Willie isn't so bad and some of it is actually pretty good. But I don't listen to it unless someone else has it on. I listen to a variety of music that I guess you could call alternative but freaking everything is called alternative these days. I hate this new alternative junk they got now where it is just like the butt/hair bands of the 80's. The only difference is that they are trying to pull themselves off as serious musicians. I used to and still dislike rap. It seems to get worse every year. The reason I hate rap is that it is just someone reading out lyrics very loudly while playing a record. Rock rap is kind of cool as so is anything where it is an actual band creating music.

Some of my favorites: BRMC, Spiritualize, The Pillows, Neutral Milk Hotel, Galaxie 500, Jesus and the Mary Chain, The Strokes, Jane's Addiction, Pixies, Curve, Slipstream, Smashing Pumpkins (only their old stuff), Wedding Present, Ride, Radiohead, and Calexico. That's all I can think of now.

;)

Did I forget to mention DK?

Well, make that two other guys!!! :)

If you're a bit of a closet punker, and like Ska, you might want to check out Slapstick (if you haven't already). They were, what I consider, one of the first Punk/Ska (instead of Ska/Punk, ala' Less Than Jake, MU330, etc.) bands.

They were only around for 3 years but they were awesome. You can check out a very comprehensive fansite HERE.

I may be biased because they were my buddies, but they were pretty damned good.

p.s.- Funny side note, the lead singer of Slapstick, Brendan (who now plays for The Lawrence Arms) once told me that his first concert memory was being at a Naked Raygun show when he was 12 or 13 and seeing me setting my hair on fire for money.

... Those were the days. :rolleyes:

p.p.s.- Did I mention Naked raygun as one of my all-time favorite bands? No? Well Naked Raygun is one of my all-time favorite bands.

Drew - thanks for the heads up. I will have to check out their site when I have some time later. Sounds like you might've barely survived your younger days!

:lol:

DK trivia note - the DK's had Brandon Cruz, formerly of The Courtship of Eddie's Father, as their frontman. He played Eddie in the show.

Naked Raygun......wow, cool. I saw MU330 once, opening for Skavoovie and the Epitones (which I recommend!) They were pretty good live. Don't really get out to too many shows these days.

I'm not a big fan of either genre, either, but I like bluegrass (does that count as a subgenre of country?) and I can appreciate the talent of Ice Cube even if wouldn't choose to listen to his stuff. (I also would recommend "Baby Got Back", by Sir Mix-A-Lot, to anyone who thinks they don't like any rap.)

As for what I really like--lots of stuff. Off the top of my head...

Pizzicato Five

Shonen Knife

The Beatles

The Who

Fleetwood Mac

Blondie (they have one of the early rap classics, incidentally)

The Carpenters

Faye Wong

Throwing Muses

Alternative/College Rock of the 80's & 90's

Vocal and Instrumental Jazz (especially the 1930's through 1950's)

60's Motown

Elvis Presley

Classical Music

Vietnamese pop and folk songs (My Linh, Quang Linh, Nhu Quynh, Manh Quynh, Huong Lan, Ai Van, Loan Chau)

Ute Lemper (at least, the couple Kurt Weill albums she did)

Hendrix

Creedence Clearwater Revival

And yes, I do like the SDF Macross and DYRL music

Probably leaving out a bunch of stuff I just haven't been listening to lately...but I have to admit I'm becoming a bit of an old fogey, appreciating the classics more, and paying less attention to what's currently going on in popular music.

DK trivia note - the DK's had Brandon Cruz, formerly of The Courtship of Eddie's Father, as their frontman. He played Eddie in the show.

Sorry but the DK just aint the DK without Jello just like the Misfits arent the Misfits without Danzig. <_< I guess it's still better than the Vandals who have only one original member and he doesn't even play the same instrument that he used to. :huh: I don't know why these old guys can't just start new bands. :(

not everyone from the south is a redneck. and not everyone who listens to Country is ignorant.

Texas. still WAY better than your state.

not everyone from the south is a redneck. and not everyone who listens to Country is ignorant.

Yeah, but our governor can kick any of your governor's ass... and Jessica Biel lives in California, take that IA86... :p

Edited by >EXO<

Pizzicato Five

My alarm clock plays Twiggy Twiggy every morning!

Yep, that was their big exposure in the US. A very unusual, but catchy song!

Some of their music was also used, I think, in a perfume commercial, and "Baby Love Child" was used in a Futurama episode.

Edit: the one where Leela discovers who her parents are.

Edited by ewilen

God! I love the way white people think. I could just as easily say that about Metal or what every the hell you like. But I won't because it would be stupid to. As with all music there the good and the bad, with "Hip-Hop" the good doesn't sell, so all you "suburban" people get to see on MTV (or whatever music or radio station you listen too) is the bad. 95% of music today borrows from hip-hop in some way (Yeah I know hip-hop borrows from other music so it's sort of a payback). So your saying I'm not intelligent because I can't stand Metallica or whatever rock/metal/punk/pop/Swing/Big Band groups you like. Whatever Man. This place is getting way too uptight.

But I guess it's to be expected because opinions are like ass-holes. We all have one good or bad.

Hippocrit - and proud of it!

let's just say: If it's on eMpTyV, chances are - I don't like it

if it's one thing that turns me off certain "new" songs, it's the repetition of airplay they get, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and... (you get the idea)

Seems like bloody "brainwashing": just play the goddamn song 'till people consider it a "Habit"

some bands I like:

Helloween

Iron Maiden

Dire Straights

Thin Lizzy

Vandenberg

Genesis

OMD

Ultravox

Gazebo (though I'm in doubt if it isn't a solo-artist)

some Solo artists:

Phil Collins

Kim Wilde

Joe jackson

Ayumi hamasaki (even though some things sound way too "Euro-Dance" and I don't understand 1 word of what she's singing :lol:)

New music, almost nothing

some Tatu (/Taty)

some Evanescense

some Linkin Park

Some Within Temptation

Some Pink (that's a weird one, even for my tastes)

Todays Rap, Metal, pop, I think it blows chunks

only thing that I think "improved" (Biiiiig word here) is "Dance" music

Some of my favorites:  BRMC, Spiritualize, The Pillows, Neutral Milk Hotel, Galaxie 500, Jesus and the Mary Chain, The Strokes, Jane's Addiction, Pixies, Curve, Slipstream, Smashing Pumpkins (only their old stuff), Wedding Present, Ride, Radiohead, and Calexico.  That's all I can think of now.

Ahhh... Another Wedding Present fan. It's so good to know others like exist.

Galaxie 500, eh? My roommate bought the box set in 1997. After he moved out I was so sad... :( I was thinking of it the other day and thought of picking it up if A- I could find it, and B- Once I get a job. Do you listen to Luna at all?

Naked Raygun......wow, cool. I saw MU330 once, opening for Skavoovie and the Epitones (which I recommend!) They were pretty good live. Don't really get out to too many shows these days.

Yeah, being from Chicago, Naked Raygun would play a sold out show about every 3 months and all the punk kids from the Chicago area would be there. I had friends for 5 years that I ONLY ever saw at Raygun shows.

Everytime they'd play they'd have a couple hundred "promotional products" made up with their logo on it. One time it was Naked Raygun plastic water bottles (with insulator). Another time it was Naked Raygun inflatable planes. The best was on a Mother's Day show and they had Naked Raygun rubber lid grippers. Anyways, halfway through the show everyone would start chanting "Free crap" and the band would start throwing a couple hundred of these things into the crowd. It was the best!!!

Did I mention I was an extra in an MU330 video? They were filming the video for Father Friendly (off of the Crab Rangoon album) in Madison And I got to be in the crowd at the church. It was funny because the drummer for Blue Meanies set it up and he was my buddy, so we were all out drinking the night before and I ended up drinking right up until 7am I showed up literally drunk off of my ass!!!

I guess it's still better than the Vandals who have only one original member and he doesn't even play the same instrument that he used to.  I don't know why these old guys can't just start new bands. 

Well, The Vandals have been playing under their current incarnation since around 1988-89... So it's not THAT bad.

Here's a picture of me (I'm the drunk one in the middle making the face and flashing the devil horns) and The Vandals after their show at The Cog Factory in Omaha, NE. Don't ask me why I was in Omaha, NE!!!

After the picture we went across the street and had some drinks.

post-26-1065823018.jpg

Edited by the white drew carey

Did you bother to look at my profile?.

If you had bothered to check my profile, you would know that I am in Maryland, which is SOUTH of the famous Mason-Dixon Line, so technically, I AM IN THE SOUTH.

However, I choose to speak the King's English instead of that drawling lazy crap that I hear all day long pranging away in my right ear. I just cannot abide people who delight in being simple, and speaking incorrectly. I swear one time I had this redneck lady who told me that she had a laptop "whullago" that was good, but "yersteeday" it broke. WTF???