The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

I'm thinking of buying my son the SOC Voltes V for his 4th birthday next month. Am I mad to think of getting him such an expensive toy, which will no doubt have lots of poaint chips and broken or missing parts in short order?

Last Christmas, I bought him the English dubbed Voltes V DVD box set (the Philippine English dub, ordered it of Ebay) and he really loves watching it and keeps perstering me for a Voltes V toy. Unfortunately, there are no lower-end Voltes V toys that I can find. It seems to be SOC or nothing.

He's already taken over my SOC Combattler V (and pretty much trashed it).

He also loves watching my raw Combattler V and Mazinger Z VCDs.

Graham

Not sure if Voltes is good for your 4 year old. Its decently solid, but the hip and ankle are not that tight. So your son will probably let it hits the floor here & there whenever its a bit off balance, which can break quite a few things. Unless you don't really care. I would give him something a bit more solid among the SOC family or from other gokin line. There are plenty of choice for Mazinger, but in SOC line, the Getters or Getter Gs should last pretty good (minus the Getter 2 or Liger). The old Jeeg from Takara is also a lot of fun, with all the magnetic joints and projectiles. That Jeeg can handle a lot of abuses.

Edited by mpchi

I can't find the link or remember the web site name, but I'm pretty sure I stumbled across it a while back. I'm looking for a web site that has a list of all SoC figures released with pictures. I'm in the market for a Mazinger, but I want one that looks old school(ie: somewhat simplistic) but has all the add-ons/gimmicks. My search through ebay is yielding more confusion than answers.

Not sure where to check either, unless you hit up collectiondx.com and looked at what they've got for reviews, or asked on robotjapn.com's forums... I THINK the one you want is the 1R release of Maz, which has the slightly taller build and improved sculpt... I'm not an old-school guy, but I've debated buying that figure multiple times just for it's fun-looking factor.

I can't find the link or remember the web site name, but I'm pretty sure I stumbled across it a while back. I'm looking for a web site that has a list of all SoC figures released with pictures. I'm in the market for a Mazinger, but I want one that looks old school(ie: somewhat simplistic) but has all the add-ons/gimmicks. My search through ebay is yielding more confusion than answers.

I think what you're looking for is this: http://www.collectiondx.com/node/635

or this: http://www.collectiondx.com/node/560

I think what you're looking for is this: http://www.collectiondx.com/node/635

or this: http://www.collectiondx.com/node/560

Those are both the basic Mazinger shape I'm looking for. The second one looks better, which is also the 1R version promethuem5 mentioned. None of the ones on ebay at the moment are the 1R version though.

Thank you. :)

are you talking about chogokin.net or zinc panic?

Just received it yesterday and WOW, GX-31 Voltes V is a spectacularly awesome figure.

Has anyone picked up the custom die-cast sword accessory/replacement? I'm considering it, but wondered if anybody had one and thought it was worth it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Voltes-V-GX-31-Diecast...6QQcmdZViewItem

The review at CollectionDX suggests that the wrists aren't stiff enough to hold a diecast sword.

The review at CollectionDX suggests that the wrists aren't stiff enough to hold a diecast sword.

You could use several drops of supaglue (one drop at a time) on the ball of the wrist joint and rub it on throughly to make the ball coarse. When the balls of the wrists are sufficiently thick and coarse, the hands will hold that metal sword at almost any pose. But if you prefer not to, Voltes can still hold it best with a high guard pose.

That link offers a pretty good price, provided that shipping is not too expensive.

You could use several drops of supaglue (one drop at a time) on the ball of the wrist joint and rub it on throughly to make the ball coarse. When the balls of the wrists are sufficiently thick and coarse, the hands will hold that metal sword at almost any pose. But if you prefer not to, Voltes can still hold it best with a high guard pose.

That link offers a pretty good price, provided that shipping is not too expensive.

That's a pretty nifty trick with the super glue! So i gues the nail polish is a safer way?

Super glue would be more permanent lol. It wouln't be sticky after the course'ing would it?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Nail polish is a safer way, and less permanent, but for the most part is only doable on parts you can separate... the superglue trick can work bc/ the liquid type will flow into joints you cannot take apart.

That's a pretty nifty trick with the super glue! So i gues the nail polish is a safer way?

Super glue would be more permanent lol. It wouln't be sticky after the course'ing would it?

Supaglue is permanent and does not peel and flake overtime like nail polish. Once dried, all you're left with is a coarse ball surface that is ideal for a stiff but posable wrist.

Those are both the basic Mazinger shape I'm looking for. The second one looks better, which is also the 1R version promethuem5 mentioned. None of the ones on ebay at the moment are the 1R version though.

Thank you. :)

Turns out my ebay search was wrong, there's plenty of GX-01R Mazinger's on there, some even with Aphrodite A. I found a seller(Maybang, sounds familiar for some reason) in the U.S. that was selling the 1R for $80 shipped and went with that. He seems to go for $100+ elsewhere when you factor in shipping, on ebay at least.

I'll post comments when he arrives. This is my third SoC. The other two are MechaGodzillas MG-02 and Kiryu, both of which I love.

I have yet to pick up a Mazinger SOC. I have a Maz from Yamato's old Heros of Chogokin (or something like that) line which I think has curbed my desire for a SOC version. I know I'm missing out though. Too damn many other things!

Edited by eriku

I have yet to pick up a Mazinger SOC. I have a Maz from Yamato's old Heros of Chogokin (or something like that) line which I think has curbed my desire for a SOC version. I know I'm missing out though. Too damn many other things!

get some now! If you can get the Fewture Mazinger before they're all gone.. amazing toy if you have $300 to throw away. Out of my whole collection the SOC line is by far my favourite and the one that holds my interest.

If you can get the Fewture Mazinger before they're all gone.. amazing toy if you have $300 to throw away.

What's the deal with the Fewture Mazinger that it costs so much anyway?

It weights 1kg and it speaks punk. :D

What's the deal with the Fewture Mazinger that it costs so much anyway?

if you want to have a laugh or choke on your breakfast cereal go check out prices for the fewture black getter.. I'm tossing up between getting the fewture mazinger or the SOC Godmars.. tough choice.

I so want to finally get my SOCs!

But for now I am getting the entire HG Gundam 00 collection and a couple of MGs! And I STILL need to get the YF21!!

But SOC shall soooon be mine and my SOC Getter Robo will stop feeling lonely.

VFTF1

My Mazinger GX-01R arrived today. Very nice. Like any other SoC, it has some nice weight to it, and none of it interfers with articulation. I'm very happy with it. Only nitpick I have is that they could have easily have made a plider that had wings that could fold up to dock in the head.

Of course it comes with gimmicks out the wazoo. I was surprised that the forearm connects to the upper arm through magnets, which is pretty damn cool. He has that simple original Mazinger design I wanted, and that's pretty much how I'm going to display him.

NICE. :)

Just when I think I've sated my appetite for SOCs, a new one comes along to re-awaken the fever. This will be mine!

I wonder what accessories it'll come with. I don't remember Tetsujin 28-go having a lot of gimmicks. Then again I only saw like 3 episodes back when I was a kid.

My cousin had the Godaiken Tetsujin in the 1980s when we were growing up and it was awesome with little magnetic figures that would attach anywhere on the armor and the armor opened up and T-28 had an elevator in his legs and compartments inside. It was one of the coolest toys I have ever seen. They go on ebay for about $5,000.00 when they do show up. I would be soooooooooooo happy if this one had all those gimmicks and relive my childhood again!