The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

Now that's the kinda RED I wanted to see on the original SOC EVA-02! Has anyone encountered any more fragile hip-joint problems on the newer SPEC EVAs? Ah! I didn't read the top of the page... good to know the hips are fixed now.

Edited by drifand

Big Raideen gallery:

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/gouki/41sra/41sra01.html

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/gouki/41sra/41sra02.html

Eva-02 looks really sweet. Can't wait to see how the rebuild recolour looks (01 rebuilt looks really nice with the extra green parts).

Whoa!! Thanks for the link on the SOC Raideen!! Im looking forward to getting the DX version now.. and.. As much as I'd like to get the SPEC EVA-02.. Im going to have to cancel my order. Sticking with SOC's. Im not to impressed with SPEC's anymore.

The main reason I haven't taken much interest in the SPEC Evas is because I'm so completely satisfied with the SOC Evas. To me the size, colors, construction, weight (lots of diecast), accessories and articulation are perfect. I think the SPECs look great, as do the Revoltechs, but they're pretty much obsolete for me.

Agree totally, SOC is as good as it gets, but i want more than one Eva-02, so why not! :D Atleast it's larger, with cast off armour.

Dammnnnn the box art is NICE! Thanks for posting the pics IXTL. Hope they do just as good with the Rebuild.

Whats the rebuild boxes like so far?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Whats the rebuild boxes like so far?

More or less the same. They've updated the look somewhat with XS-08's box. The online store exclusive Positron Rifle & G-Type Equipment Set (New Movie Edition) and Yahoo! Japan exclusive 400% Synchro Rate EVA-01 boxes are of the same design as XS-01, 03 and 04 but without the window flap.

XS-03 EVA-01 New Movie Edition & XS-04 EVA-00 New Movie Edition

socspeceva01boxhy4.jpgsoceva00boxak6.jpg

XS-01 EVA-01 TV Edition & XS-08 EVA-02 TV Edition

ban941839boxze9.jpgban951626boxlt2.jpg

Edited by IXTL

My new favorite SOC:

gm002.jpg

gm005.jpg

gm006.jpg

gm009.jpg

gm011.jpg

Godmarz is amazing. Spectacular sculpt, engineering, fit, finish and paint topped off with awesome articulation and lots of clicky ratchet joint goodness. If I would have had this as a kid I never would have put it down.

Nice pics, eriku! God Mars is pretty cool; the SOC looks great! My favorite SOC, however, is this bad boy-

Raideen.jpg

Raideen2.jpg

The photos are courtesy of Nakajo at the Robot Japan forums. Not sure if he is the photographer, but whoever it is is a true artist!

This 'gokin is THE BEST version out there of what I think is THE ICON of Japanese super-robots. The engineering put into this thing is amazing; Bandai manages to provide a huge amount of articulation without drastically altering the clean, anime-faithful lines of the 'bot. The metal content is decent- the thighs, upper arms, and lower torso/pelvis area are solid metal, giving Raideen a nice, solid feel. I swear; this thing is hard to put down! :D

My new favorite SOC:

Godmarz is amazing. Spectacular sculpt, engineering, fit, finish and paint topped off with awesome articulation and lots of clicky ratchet joint goodness. If I would have had this as a kid I never would have put it down.

Eriku, awesome pics. I'd really like to own one of these, but at it's going price it's just too expensive for me. I doubt it's the type of thing that will go down in value either.

Nice pics, eriku! God Mars is pretty cool; the SOC looks great! My favorite SOC, however, is this bad boy-

The photos are courtesy of Nakajo at the Robot Japan forums. Not sure if he is the photographer, but whoever it is is a true artist!

This 'gokin is THE BEST version out there of what I think is THE ICON of Japanese super-robots. The engineering put into this thing is amazing; Bandai manages to provide a huge amount of articulation without drastically altering the clean, anime-faithful lines of the 'bot. The metal content is decent- the thighs, upper arms, and lower torso/pelvis area are solid metal, giving Raideen a nice, solid feel. I swear; this thing is hard to put down! :D

Damn straight! He is mighty impressive.

I love my Raideen and Eva 02. I bought the cheap version Raideen as I don't have much display space for all of the acessories offered on the more expensive version. I do have a few gripes though. I think the shield attachments could have been done a little better on the Raideen. Both of the shields fall off rather easily. I also wish that the SOC's had a little more articulation. I'd like to see Bandai use the same endoskeleton that they employ on the SOC Spec line with some of the more traditional Soc's.

Wow, Raideen is a bad boy (and its evil twin) indeed. Sculpt proportion wise, one of the best from Bandai.

Got my new Aquarion! Now I just have to wait until I'm done grading papers before I mess with it. Anyone know where I can find the directions translated or translation of the little book that comes with it.

BTW it looks awsome.

CHeers.

Got my new Aquarion! Now I just have to wait until I'm done grading papers before I mess with it. Anyone know where I can find the directions translated or translation of the little book that comes with it.

BTW it looks awsome.

CHeers.

WE DEMAND PICS!!!

God Mars looks so silly :) I mean that as a compliment. Like him very much.

Raideen takes himself too seriously however.

EVA is waaay to serious :)

Will definitely get God Mars, maybe one day would like Raideen (he is nice I'll admit) - but the EVA I am still - as someone wrote a few posts back "meh" on :)

VFTF1

I've just got a SOC Reideen set. This thing looks like it popped right out of TV screen.

It has tons of accessories. I still haven't gone through them.

Diecast arrows feel really nice and Brooger is superbly detailed.

God-bird mode is also great. Transformation is not as simple as it seems, and neatly executed.

Oh, for those who bought this, I recommend that you check the claw parts.

Mine was not assembled correctly and bent. They are made of PVC and it can be fixed easily.

I wonder why they didn't make lower legs with diecast metal though.

It feels somewhat light compared to a re-issue chogokin ver which features extended diecast legs.

I recently acquired my first SoC toy. A SoC Tamashii SPEC XD-01 Dragonar-1 from Opening Animation. I got it for the rather decent price of $52 (not including shipping). Sometimes Bandai gets it totally right. This is one of those times.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Looks good! :) What's the back story? :)

VFTF1

The mech is from the anime Metal Armor Dragonar.

Wiki has a nice description. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Armor_Dragonar

This particular toy I purchased is a bit unique though. It's the lead mech from the show BUT only from that of the opening animation. You see, the Dragonar-1 mech design in the OP is designed differently from the one actually used in the show. Japanese affectionately call the mech "Barignar" because the OP animation for the series was done by Masami Obari (director of Toshinden, Gravion, Dangaizer-3 anime). Watch the OP at Youtube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hRanwD-yw

Note* Masami Obari also did the OP for Macross II.

In anycase, I love the OP to Dragonar and I figure this is the only time we'll ever see a toy of this particular mech. I absolutely love the gull-wings on this mech. Looking at the mech, you can see that a recent Gundam design seems to have been inspired by the Dragonar. Which is funny because Dragonar itself was labeled as a Gundam lookalike back when.

Edited by Vifam7

Looking at the mech, you can see that a recent Gundam design seems to have been inspired by the Dragonar. Which is funny because Dragonar itself was labeled as a Gundam lookalike back when.

I still very much see it as a Gundam lookalike, which is why I haven't been able to warm up to it. Granted I think it looks a bit more interesting than a typical Gundam (no offense meant to Gundam fans, it's just not my thing) but it still boldly tells me "Gundam" every time I look at it. Looks like a fantastic toy though.

Eh - the Gundam comparrison is remote :) Besides - every robot "looks like a Gundam" to some extent.

I didn't get a Gundam vibe from this guy when I first saw the picture - looks fairly unique :)

VFTF1

I still very much see it as a Gundam lookalike, which is why I haven't been able to warm up to it. Granted I think it looks a bit more interesting than a typical Gundam (no offense meant to Gundam fans, it's just not my thing) but it still boldly tells me "Gundam" every time I look at it. Looks like a fantastic toy though.

I agree with you. THe legs and shoulders just scream gundam seed to me. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The other think it reminds me of is patlabor because of the paint job.

It's an awesome toy. The entire internal frame is made of diecast! This really helps the toy stand straight on it's legs and not flop backwards despite having the top and bottom wings mounted in the back.

Yeah, I didn't mean the Gundam comparison as a bad thing, just a barrier for me personally. I do see the Patlabor comparison too, which is another design that for some reason has never 'grabbed' me. To be completely honest I get more tempted by the SPEC Dragonar toy every time I see it, especially with that awesome diecast internal frame. I'd be tempted to display it in skeletal form. :)