1/48 VF1D

GutsAndCasca

haha, the question for the ages. :p

graham said theres a lot of cool stuff coming out but no pep of the 1D?

i can't imagine why they wouldn't make it when macross toys have proven to be a profitable seller for them. i'm sure its coming, we just got to be patient.

Well, all I can say is be patient. Oh I am quite mad about the Kakazaki release. But I made my custom long ago. Now I am holding off on making the TV versions of Max and Kakazaki. I am glad I skipped the kit for the Vf-1D. Right now I am holding off on the Minmay Guards. In a good and bad way Yamato is making more variations of the VF-1. Good for us in variety but bad for those who made the customs if Yamato decides to make those.

I would love a 1/48 vf1-d, I think yamato is insane for releasing all these non-canon "stealths" and cammos ( which all suck ass IMO) before finishing releasing valks that were FEATURED in the show and movies, LIKE A MAX VF-1S etc etc. I would be highly pissed if we never get these.

I already have the Valks for the 1S and 1J guards, the decals are on order for Paris and Moon Act, and have the off-white custom gun pods. The only thing that has me in a holding pattern other than not having the Decals is Graham’s statement about the future surprises.

The Minmay Guards and the Max are the obvious choices for new 1S airframes. I will be happy with all three but I will then have a custom Max to find something to do with.

Well, all I can say is be patient. Oh I am quite mad about the Kakazaki release. But I made my custom long ago. Now I am holding off on making the TV versions of Max and Kakazaki. I am glad I skipped the kit for the Vf-1D. Right now I am holding off on the Minmay Guards. In a good and bad way Yamato is making more variations of the VF-1. Good for us in variety but bad for those who made the customs if Yamato decides to make those.

i'm not too worried, if they make it, i'll just dump mine on ebay so the less informed can buy them. ;)

i've been holding off on starting any new customs since they started pumping out VF's left and right. when they stop releasing VF-1's, i guess i'll get crackin on the customs again. til then i got save my money to keep up with all these damn releases.

Oh man Minmay Guards....that would be sweet!

I would love a 1/48 vf1-d, I think yamato is insane for releasing all these non-canon "stealths" and cammos ( which all suck ass IMO) before finishing releasing valks that were FEATURED in the show and movies, LIKE A MAX VF-1S etc etc. I would be highly pissed if we never get these.

That's not really all that fair in a discussion about the 1D. Yes, Yamato could have made a Max 1S (and might still) and a few others of the rarely seen valks but there's no real indication that these canon-but-only-glimpsed-valks would have more draw than the more elaborate paint schemes Yamato has been offering. Besides, you should be thrilled as more and more 1/48 VF-1s come out, it likely indicates Yamato is making money and can invest that on new molds like the YF-19, VF-0, and potentially VF-1 2 seaters.

Max's 1S is not just a blimmin "glimpse". He went so off in that valk against Millia. I will dodge the max DYRL? 1A like the plague, and even the tv Max i'll consider a no go. But his 1S, it's up there with Roy's and Hik's 1S for sure. The Woody an Stealth are sucky at best.

Ok ok, Max's tv 1J is still worth it. :p

But i want a Max VF-1S!!!!!

Ohh and a 1D and VT are must builds Yamato!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the VT! please? T_T

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If they make that variant and only that one, then my DYRL? collection will be finished.

Only the Max and Kakizaki variants are of the VF-1A are left in the TV versions.

I hope that they focus on canon stuff from now on.

I actually just finished RE-converting a Hikaru 1S into a Max 1S last night, ironically. WHAT A PAIN IN THE A--. This may sound strange, but I think it's the minor conversions (repainting small areas, removing paint in small areas) that are really tough.

That's not really all that fair in a discussion about the 1D. Yes, Yamato could have made a Max 1S (and might still) and a few others of the rarely seen valks but there's no real indication that these canon-but-only-glimpsed-valks would have more draw than the more elaborate paint schemes Yamato has been offering. Besides, you should be thrilled as more and more 1/48 VF-1s come out, it likely indicates Yamato is making money and can invest that on new molds like the YF-19, VF-0, and potentially VF-1 2 seaters.

Now my whole view is speculation of course, but me looking at the latest new releases (not reissues) are all not very popular (woodland, super steath, angel bird, the fat guy who died hizaki sp?) in comparison to a roy, hikaru or max.

I bet good money if you got to see the stock levels of all the vf-1s and acessories, the non cannon stuff is sitting in huge piles unsold.

An exec has to look at sales numbers at some point and may pull the plug on the VF line based on this since really whats left to produce is all lower popularity or screen time. The line of thinking could be, " we blew a poo load of money to produce these non cannon / lesser seen figures and they didnt sell.. screw making the rest.. to much of a risk." LETS MOVE ON!

Just a different point of view, which I would hope isnt true, but could be a possiblity as I like seeing more vf-1's produced, just not at the expense of not getting the ones I want!!! :)

Edited by Mechinyun

I disagree, I think the non cannon stuff hurts the vf-1 line of toys.

MW peeps are a bit biased as people here buy anything with the word macross on it, but overall we are a smaller minority compared to the world of people buying these. It's a fact in all toys, most people want what they have seen featured in the movies or TV.

Now my whole view is speculation of course, but me looking at the latest new releases (not reissues) are all not very popular (woodland, super steath, angel bird, the fat guy who died hizaki sp?) in comparison to a roy, hikaru or max.

I bet good money if you got to see the stock levels of all the vf-1s and acessories, the non cannon stuff is sitting in huge piles unsold.

An exec has to look at sales numbers at some point and may pull the plug on the VF line based on this since really whats left to produce is all lower popularity or screen time. The line of thinking could be, " we blew a poo load of money to produce these non cannon / lesser seen figures and they didnt sell.. screw making the rest.. to much of a risk." LETS MOVE ON!

Just a different point of view, which I would hope isnt true, but could be a possiblity as I like seeing more vf-1's produced, just not at the expense of not getting the ones I want!!! :)

while i do agree with some of what you're saying, you got to keep in mind that most us here suffer from valkoholism. i'm not trying to be cute about it but the simple fact is, as soon as one of us catches up with the valks we want, we start going through valk withdrawl and end up buying other valks that we either skipped out on or missed out on, and even ones we didn't have interest in.

the perfect example of this is the first LV. it took sat unsold for a long time and only when yamato slowed their releases(i believe they released all 3 super 1J's shortly after the LV) did people start picking them up....and boy did they go fast! i feel the same thing will happen with the woodland and stealth as well as the angel birds, its only a matter of time. honeslty, its hard for me to grasp how non-canon releases could actually hurt in anyway. how has it hurt yamato? how has it hurt us?....well outside of our wallets. :D if anything, variety has been proven to be a good thing for companies, just look at lucas arts, bandai/gundam, takara/TF, and dare i say it, even the power rangers. lol!

Why does everyone keep talking about the Angel Birds 1A like it's not canon??? :unsure:

sorry, it is canon but it is a obscure valk in comparison to some of the others.

if you noticed, i left kakazaki out, though i don't know what homeboy smoking to say that kakazaki isn't canon or won't sell? :huh: people have been asking for this one more so than the 1S max...madness i say!

Stealth = the credit card valk alternative for those who want something that looks like it. :D

I reckon at some point we are all envious of things we don't have and that this envy counteracts what the masses think somewhat. Whether it be low vis 1, ultra rare credit card valk, limited edition CF (based on the idea that company knows it is risky to do unpopular valks, and the fan decides he doesn't want to "miss out" so buys it on impulse hoping it really doesn't become easy to find etc) or just things that have not ever been done. Alaska base valks for example? I doubt many people would remember that one. But I belive if it was aimed only for a diehard fan or collector people would end up buying that for reasons of fear that it won't be there tommorow. (like my need to get Roy VF1S first just because I knew the popularity of the character would make it a pain in the ass to find. With reissues though that attitude changes since now everyone has it)

It's all in how you present it. If tommorow the super stealth becomes really hard to get because people thought the idea of a black valk was stupid because it wasn't even seen in the tv series fighting, then I think the diehard will jump at the opportunity to buy them up in the hope that they are the lucky one who bought up the last ones. I personally like the idea of an alternate paintscheme because I think of macross as not just its story but as a world where humans will customise thier mecha too and just because you don't see them in a series or whatever, does not mean it couldn't exist in that world. (if they can have clown valks and goofy civilian custom paintschemes I wouldn't rule out camo and stealth ones) So long as they target the collector and target the masses, successfully giving them the thing that they most demand, then they can exploit each group in different ways and come away better for providing each one what they want, rather than if they only catered to one group over another. (ie brownies unpopular with masses, but still appealing to some collectors who want to at some point have "everything in a line" and maybe even multiples of the unpopular stuff for the uncertain future. That is to say buying the unpopular stuff now, is like thier "security" from the fear it won't be there tommorow if no one (the masses) wants it. It can happen and if you play on that fear, you can manipulate them :D)

This is why I think the sudden release of all the non-canon stuff. It's riding on the idea of generating new demand for the vf1 for collectors who already "have everything" and increases the total number of things they can sell to them. Everytime I see nintendo release a new colored game system, (essentialy the same as the plain one) I think it is playing on the idea that: "everyone has the old color, this new one will set you apart from the pack" kind of thing. (and then people actually go to great lengths to get it, selling off thier old one to get the new one because it is in a color they like :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Strange POV IMO.

The non-canon Valks as well as recent canon Valks such as the Angel Birds have been selling pretty well. Certanly there's not huge piles sitting unsold in warehouses.

Yamato didn't really blow a whole load of money to produce them as the cost of the molds (the main expense) was paid for a long time ago. So it's only production and materials cost, plus a small amount of cost involved in development for choosing the paint and plastic colors to use. There is definitely profit being made on them. The more profit Yamato makes, the more it will encourage them to produce other Macross toys, such as those from Plus, Zero and others :D.

Graham

What Graham said. Yamato has made it's money back on a mold, this is a manufacturer's dream place to be. All they have to do now is recoup very limited costs in the production of subsequent releases so long as they produce them in the right quantities. The fact you don't see the prices on these things being slashed and sold for peanuts lets you know they've figured out how many to sell. They also know that if they don't release enough they can always do another run so it seems they now consistenly err on the side of a shortage rather than surpluses sitting in warehouses.