The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

Just got one 2 days ago from a friend who works at Gamestop!! tottally awesome!!

Great at parties.... great at home when i play Zelda.... got the one at Target for $40... great price..

I downloaded to Trial Internet Browser and it's a pretty neat feature. i can browse MW on it... but my TV isn't High Def so its hard to make out...

I love the whole classics game idea, but the only bad thing is the poor selection of downloadable games at the moment.

i'd probably get Street Fighter 2, but then i have to go out and buy classic controllers..... anyone else having trouble finding Wii Remotes and Nunchucks????

i'd probably get Street Fighter 2, but then i have to go out and buy classic controllers..... anyone else having trouble finding Wii Remotes and Nunchucks????

Glad to see you're having a ton of fun with it kiririth.

As for the Wiimotes and Chucks I guess it's a case of right place, right time. I found my second Wiimote two weeks ago at the local Target. Lucky me.

Just got one 2 days ago from a friend who works at Gamestop!! tottally awesome!!

Great at parties.... great at home when i play Zelda.... got the one at Target for $40... great price..

I downloaded to Trial Internet Browser and it's a pretty neat feature. i can browse MW on it... but my TV isn't High Def so its hard to make out...

I love the whole classics game idea, but the only bad thing is the poor selection of downloadable games at the moment.

You are going to need to a classic controller sooner or later. Brawl is going to need it, and there is no in doubt you would not play that game. And some Wii games will allow the use of it, even with DBZ.

Some people are willing to trade their PS3s for a Wii even if they lose money. :mellow:

I would do that any day and just sell the PS3 and buy another Wii. :p

Some guy at work asked me if I'd take his 60 gig PS3 for my Wii, I laughed at him and told him not a chance in hell.

I've got nearly 11 hours on Zelda but still far into the beginning, I'm just more focused on trying to get everything I can out of the game, and it's really the first Zelda game I think I ever actually got into...

I'm kinda out of the whole console thing right now, but from everything I've read in the press (gaming and non-gaming), it sounds like the Wii is the big winner. May have to pick one up sometime next year.

Considering you can count the number of "good" games coming out for the Wii on one hand, I'd say it's probably a little premature for anyone to label the Wii as the winner of this generation.

Nintendo has sold more than 3 MILLION Wii's in a little less than a month and a half?!?!?

That's cause Nintendo will always be the "Fun Machine," and have it's loyal and determined followers. PS3 blah blah blah most powerful console blah blah blah. Nintendo will never be the console leader, but they'll always have a spot in the hearts of gamers everywhere...

The Wii with it's unique controller setup and interaction, a much more affordable price tag, and some excellent marketing, Nintendo has definitely pushed the right buttons. Whether this system can continue its high sales rate in the upcoming years remains to be seen, but right now things are going great for them. The PS3 is the "Homer" (the car Homer Simpson designed) of game systems - over priced and over accesorized. (Don't get me wrong, the PS3 will eventually take off and will do well, but just not at PS2 levels and it won't own 70% of the market).

Out of the box the Wii has some pretty fun and awesome games...but they're mainly sport titles. Baseball, bowling, tennis and boxing. Interactive sport video games aren't anything new but to put it all in one affordable package? Cool. That's why I'm looking for one.

Can the big N keep coming up with new and innovative uses for the wii controller? That'll determine whether I spend money on new games outside of what's in the current sports package....and I'm pretty sure all the casual gamers that picked up a Wii so far.

Considering you can count the number of "good" games coming out for the Wii on one hand

And this is different from any other console launch?

Nintendo will never be the console leader

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Edited by Duke Togo

Can I use the NGC contoller with the Wii VC ?

when you go onto the Virtual Console Download sites, it tells you which controllers are compatible with the game... for instance, you can use a GC controller playing Street Fighter 2, although i think it'll be kinda awkward.

1 of the other things that kind of bug me about the Wii is all the accessories needed to play. With my GC, i had my console, cables, memory cards, games and 4 controllers all in 1 easy to carry package. Now in order to complete my Wii i would need the following:

Wii Console and cables ($250)

4 WiiMotes (3 extra x $40)

4 Chucks (3 extra x $20)

4 Classic Controllers (4 x $20)

4 GC Controllers (previously owned)

GC memory cards

Wii SD memory cards

Games in 2 different sizes for GC and Wii

My point is.... as of rite now, there's 16 total controller accessories needed for a complete Wii set. That's a lot of crap to store in 1 place!!! plus it gets expensive adding up the extra controllers (another $260 on top of the $250 for the console)

Dayam it.... can't believe how much i'm spending on accessories but i must complete the set eventually!

Edited by kiririth

Nintendo will never be the console leader, but they'll always have a spot in the hearts of gamers everywhere...

Sold 40% of 360's sold in the past year, in just one month. :blink:

Well, now you know how companies make money from selling accessories ;)

yea... but these are all Nintendo licensed only accesories.... i doubt there will be any other companies that make Wii Motes or Chucks or classic controllers. I wouldn't trust any other company to plug my stuff into than Nintendo...

I'm going to start looking for some used GC games to play on my Wii. What can you guys recommend me in way of RPG or strategy games?

It's not exacly a true strategy game, but Pikmin has some elements of the RTS genre and is a pretty good game. Skies of Arcadia is about the only "real" JRPG the Gamecube got, and it's a fun game, but very old-school in it's design.

I'd say it's premature to call the Wii the winner, but not because of the games so far. By all accounts, the Wii has a fantastic library for such an early time in its life. Best launch I can recall.

However, it's just simply too early to call. Give it a year, at least.

I do agree with you, Duke, in that it's simply not the wisest thing to suggest that Nintendo couldn never be the console leader. The Wii is doing incredibly well. If it keeps up this steam and the PS3 doesn't catch up, and combined with the success of the DS (which shows no signs of slowing, in fact there's a lot of high profile titles coming to the wonder handheld in the coming year, including Dragon Quest IX), I'd say Nintendo has a strong chance this generation of sweeping the field as Sony did with the first Playstation.

My point is that it really isn't that different from any other Nintendo console, especially considering all the promising games are Nintendo first or second party games.

Grasshopper, Ubisoft, and Square-Enix are all second party? When did this happen?

Doesn't really matter if they are first, second, or third party developers. EA games, for instance, has publicly been gushing over the Wii.

The days of truly "exclusive" second party games is long behind us at this point. And no one can beat Nintendo at "first party" games.

ah.... I really hope that Nintendo someday develope 3D goggles for the Wii.

This will add more reallism to the movement but may require lot of of space in a room. (however walking can be simulated by stepping back, forth and sideways). And you can also look and rotate 360 degrees.

The thing that still bothers me is being stuck with the television's position not having a sense of looking around. Of course TV option is available at the same time... if you want your friends to watch what you are doing.

(excuse me for my bad english)

Edited by Kin

Doesn't really matter if they are first, second, or third party developers. EA games, for instance, has publicly been gushing over the Wii.

The days of truly "exclusive" second party games is long behind us at this point. And no one can beat Nintendo at "first party" games.

He was trying to be clever and say I had forgotten about the "great" games coming out by Grasshopper, Ubisoft and Square-Enix. :rolleyes:

The problem with exclusives, or the lack of exclusives, especially in regards to the Wii is that the Wii will no doubt see a lot of "ports." Games that weren't designed for the controller and have been graphically downgraded. Companies like EA can gush all they want about the system, but until they and other companies start producting quality games FOR the Wii instead of modifying PS3 and 360 games, there's nothing to be excited about.

Clever? It doesn't take much in the way of cleverness to point out that simply because there's no non-Nintendo+second party titles coming down the pipe that interest one person, doesn't mean there's not a bunch coming out that might pique the interest of many others.

Most people seem to agree that Raving Rabbids is an excellent game. No More Heroes from Suda51 and Grasshopper is shaping up excellently. And while the first Crystal Chronicles games may have been lacking, it's difficult to dismiss the idea that if S-E plays their cards right they could have a much more polished title with the sequel, especially considering the multiplayer nature of the Wii, and the fact that there's a DS CC game coming down the pipe as well which all but begs for some of the first Wii-DS connectivity features. Then there's the new Resident Evil game coming to the Wii, can we really dismiss that so easily after how RE4 turned out?

Look, I understand what you're trying to say. With the current batch of software, and what's coming out, it's far too early to simply hand the console crown to Nintendo. I agree. But to dismiss what's out, and talk of the Wii's upcoming future as bleak aside from Nintendo and 2nd party titles is just a tad below the level of credibility here.

Companies like EA can gush all they want about the system, but until they and other companies start producting quality games FOR the Wii instead of modifying PS3 and 360 games, there's nothing to be excited about.

You are assuming that these multi-console games are developed with just one console in mind to begin with. That's just not true, especially in the case of EA. On the other hand, EA has stated the following: "Each title will remain true to the hallmarks of its franchise but is being designed to maximize the power of the Wii hardware and take full advantage of the uniqueness and innovation of its one-of-a-kind controller." and "Once we started to experiment with Madden on Wii, there was an explosion of innovation. Everyone in the studio is energized by the creative opportunity afforded by both the hardware and controller. By reaching into our catalogue, we are able to bring a fresh and distinctive experience to some of EA's most popular franchises. Creatively, the game play possibilities are staggering and endless."

Developers love the Wii, the press loves the Wii, and judging by sales and player reactions, they love the Wii. I haven't owned a Nintendo console is 10 years, but I am seriously considering picking up this one sometimes this year. This is coming from a PSX/2 owner for the past decade, who has NO interest in Sony's latest offering.

Here are the full hardware sales in Japan, courtesy of Media Create, for the week of December 18-24.

- Nintendo DS Lite - 485,584

- Wii - 279,277

- PSP - 138,588

- PlayStation 3 - 76,882

- PlayStation 2 - 46,209

- Xbox 360 - 17,213

You are assuming that these multi-console games are developed with just one console in mind to begin with. That's just not true, especially in the case of EA. On the other hand, EA has stated the following: "Each title will remain true to the hallmarks of its franchise but is being designed to maximize the power of the Wii hardware and take full advantage of the uniqueness and innovation of its one-of-a-kind controller." and "Once we started to experiment with Madden on Wii, there was an explosion of innovation. Everyone in the studio is energized by the creative opportunity afforded by both the hardware and controller. By reaching into our catalogue, we are able to bring a fresh and distinctive experience to some of EA's most popular franchises. Creatively, the game play possibilities are staggering and endless."

Developers love the Wii, the press loves the Wii, and judging by sales and player reactions, they love the Wii. I haven't owned a Nintendo console is 10 years, but I am seriously considering picking up this one sometimes this year. This is coming from a PSX/2 owner for the past decade, who has NO interest in Sony's latest offering.

I stopped reading that EA quote after the 2nd biz-word. What's with this "uniqueness" and "innovation" crap they got to bust throughout these descriptions? Just drivel that I zone out.

Anyways, I think the question for those who are wondering if the Wii will remain successful is if everyone who wanted one went out and bought one in the last couple of months, or will the package be interesting 4 years down the road? Someone posted out that like 4-5 million people said they wanted Wii's right then in Novemeber and were willing to pay for it, while 7-8 million said that for PS3, yet it's quite easy to find a PS3 if you want it, they couldn't have sold a million at this rate, but it's still tricky to find a Wii. Sure it's good to sell alot of systems early, but if the PS3 drops to a more reasonable vg-system price and people can be convinced that Blu-ray is a needful thing, wheither it is or not, then that would limit the Wii's position.

Then again, Nintendo only geared this to being everyone's 2nd system, so if they can just keep it a fun thing to do on the side it'll have a good run.

but if the PS3 drops to a more reasonable vg-system price and people can be convinced that Blu-ray is a needful thing

Sony is already taking a big loss with what they are selling the PS3 for now, and BR is more likely to end up being the next Laserdisc than it is the next DVD. All I see are "if's", and Nintendo is already getting it done.

Sony is already taking a big loss with what they are selling the PS3 for now, and BR is more likely to end up being the next Laserdisc than it is the next DVD. All I see are "if's", and Nintendo is already getting it done.

Sony did the same thing with PS2 (taking a loss) and made up the overhead in video games, unfortunately they don't have any good games for the PS3 and coupled with the crippling initial costs of the system itself, it doesn't look good for them in the long run. As a parent, there is no way i would spend 600 bucks on a gaming system for my child (or myself) and then another 60+ a pop per game; for that much i would just build myself a new computer. Also, early tests of BR Vs HDDVD are putting HDDVD in a much better position, HD DVD is providing better pixel quality with players that are starting at half the cost of BR players. Irregardless, of format wars, i'll just wait for hybrid players and the inevitable hybrid optical drives and just run everything from my computer... so in my case, computer wins.

Edited by emajnthis

Bring a PC gamer, really, I am totally with you on that. Fact is, when these consoles come out, they are all taking a loss on every unit sold. When you get right down to it, Sony's problem is the price tag.

Todays console is all about graphics, high preformance specs. and no game play. As for who will be No. 1 its difficult to say it now.

From magicbox Dec. 31:

Some comments from Japanese leading game producers regarding to the new year :

- Souhei Shinkawa (Nippon Ichi) - he pointed out the game market is shrinking and sales of high profile games are declining; so creating games which make good use of hardware capabilities is important. He wants to create a game that fans could truly enjoy.

Todays console is all about graphics, high preformance specs. and no game play. As for who will be No. 1 its difficult to say it now.

Except for the Wii, and wow, check out all the positive press it is getting.