Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

I like the solo Prime. Nice proportions and a neat weapon. Although it looks like a big part of the truck may be hanging on his back. I don't like the Prime or Megatron in the couples picture at all. Prime is way too bulky and awkward looking. Megatron is a pile of kibble in both modes. The jet thingy has a folded robot half hanging off each wing and the robot mode has a folded jet thingy on his back.

hmmm.. minor boo for me. The kneepads and feet on the stumpy prime look more correct but the stand alone prime looks better over all, imo.

I hope they also decide not to go for the cheap molded plastic tires and give us some nice rubber ones.

oh well, I'm still getting the stand alone prime.. he just looks bad ass.

Edited by eugimon

yeah, I'm wondering myself.

the wire could be that prime is supposed to have sort of light up effect or other electronic gimmick and the wire is there just to show the effect in the resin sculpt.

As for meg's alt mode.. I dont know. Maybe his legs actually stow away proper but they did that to support the wings for the resin? maybe? Considering how tight prime's cab mode looks, I have hope that meg's alt mode will look better than what we're looking at right now.

actually, looking closer at the bot version of prime, you can see a big electronic box behind him, so I'm fairly certain the wire is a temporary for demo purposes thing.

Edited by eugimon

damn these things look great in the color "gray"...is this the tooling and refining stage of the actual product, or computer generated? i dunno, i think the gray really works well in pushing out shadows...but they'll probably look silly once colors are applied.

Depending on what the paint scheme looks like customizing/changing Prime

into G1 colors cant be that hard. It may look good in black , red , silver, etc.

its a truck, its bound to look good in a less flame-inspired paint scheme.

You could easily have a paint scheme that fits the movie's requirements, G1 colors, and "modern semi" paint trends:

Red overall, blue fenders, blue chassis. While I have never seen that, it is absolutely possible. Having the fenders a different color than the rest of the cab is a HUGE trend for trucks now. And nowadays you can get the chassis in a different color than black---I have personally see a red semi with a teal chassis and fenders, so red with blue chassis and fenders probably does exist out there somewhere. (I have also seen orange with purple---fugly, but sure catches your eye)

Also, you can color the fuel tanks too now, with vinyl. But for Prime we'd probably just want them left bare and polished up.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the one with Megatron is the newer/revised prototype. Either that or they are different price ranges.

Yep, the Optimus Prime by himself is a smaller, either Deluxe ($10) or Voyager ($20US) class toy. You can judge TF sizes by the visible screws (they usually use standard phillips heads) and any fist holes.

In the other picture, both Prime and Megatron are Leader class toys ($40US).

so what up with some of this stuff. see pic

That wire and circuit board behind Prime is just temp stuff for some electronics the final toy will have. Probably light up eyes or headlights or something.

As for meg's alt mode.. I dont know. Maybe his legs actually stow away proper but they did that to support the wings for the resin? maybe? Considering how tight prime's cab mode looks, I have hope that meg's alt mode will look better than what we're looking at right now.

I should note that Prime appears to be mistransformed or misassembled - if you look at hom in robot mode next to Megatron, you'll see that his lower right arm is actually his lower left arm, and vice versa. His legs appear to be mistransformed abit, too explaining the sag in them.

Its possible Megatron hides his baggage better, but I doubt it. The Autobots seem to have very accurate Earth vehicle modes for their toys, but the Decepticons are less so, and Megatron is specifically a 'Cybertronian' spaceship.

damn these things look great in the color "gray"...is this the tooling and refining stage of the actual product, or computer generated? i dunno, i think the gray really works well in pushing out shadows...but they'll probably look silly once colors are applied.

Takara apparently doesn't use computers when engineering Transformers. Still pencil and paper for them :)

From what I understand, these are resin hardcopies of the prototypes. I think by now they are already in the test shot stage in China. We'll probably see test shots pop up on eBay as soon as somebody smuggles them out of a factory.

See, this is what I was afraid of: they ended up making the TF film designs so uber-complex, that there's no way that they'll be able to make "faithful" transforming toys of them. Megs and Prime test shots both look overly-bulky compared to the CG renders.

Hopefully they'll at least make some sort of non-transforming bote mode sculpts (be they toy or model) which will be much more faithful and detailed.

See, this is what I was afraid of: they ended up making the TF film designs so uber-complex, that there's no way that they'll be able to make "faithful" transforming toys of them. Megs and Prime test shots both look overly-bulky compared to the CG renders.

Hopefully they'll at least make some sort of non-transforming bote mode sculpts (be they toy or model) which will be much more faithful and detailed.

meh, like any of the toy versions of prime were completely faithful to their cartoon counterparts. Maybe rid and energon, but everything up to armada had only a passing resemblence, imo.

Anyways, I like the added bulk to the toys, I think they look better than the renders we've seen so far.. specially megs, the bot megs looks way better than the CGI version.

I'm still passing on Megs, but I dig that Prime, too. So much better than the actual movie version. If the movie designs looked more like these (though obviously more detailed and movie-ified) I'd be more interested in the movie.

Then again, this Prime is the only movie toy I've seen that I thought was particularly good. It may well be the only one I pick up.

Edited by Radd

Blackout looks kinda nice, but i wonder if there will be a "detailed up" version of this. Anyone thinks that he is named Blackout because he has some kinda EMP shockwave ability , as seen on the trailer?

He looks like a Voyager class there, so I doubt there will be another, larger version of him. There are several sized mainline Prime toys because, well, Prime's the hero.

Yeah, he does have an EMP ability, though I think that might have been added after the fact - originally he was envisioned as Soundwave, then as Vortex, the G1 Combaticon Blackhawk helo.

I think they found out that Hasbro doesn't have the name Vortex registered anymore, so they used a name Hasbro did have - Blackout, who in G1 was an obscure Micromaster. Blackout is better known these days as the Minicon partner to Armada Demolishor.

Aren't those colours, well a different shade, mayhaps, fairly close to some colour schemes of the MH-53? Does David know?

I want to say no, but I'm not positive. I've never seen a pave low that looks like that. Then again I'm landlocked so all I see are Blackhawks. Still, in the trailer he looks like a darker grey, and in the concept art he's black. I hope they change it. If you look on the test shot, the hands appear to be unpainted as well.

Aren't those colours, well a different shade, mayhaps, fairly close to some colour schemes of the MH-53? Does David know?

Pave Lows are typically middle grey and not blueish.

The colours are a mix between the colourscheme of a Pave Low and G1 Soundwave.

Blackout is great looking. He is almost a shellformer though. I prefer transformers cybertron EVAC more complicated transformation. I will definatly buy Blackout though. Whats up with these faces/heads they are putting on the decepticons?

I'm really digging blackouts head/face... he just looks wicked.

Sorry, I'm not big on choppers. Looking around, it seems it should be 36118 grey, but tend to fade quicker than most, looking lighter than that. 36118 is your standard Strike Eagle/bomber dark grey.

Annoyingly, Pave Low current paint specs seemed decidedly hard to get. (also, my main modeling/paint site is down tonight so I can't check the #1 best source)

a seibertron.com poster has bought the movie starscream figure, they will be posting a gallery tonight.

It looks okay from the top but underneath is whats really killing me......man thats a thick undercarriage!

NOnetheless the preview pic they have has it shown next to energon starscream.....and I admit as inaccurate as it is, it does look better than energon starscream in fighter mode.